Author Topic: Impressions from travels to Tiruvannamalai  (Read 23886 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Re: Impressions from travels to Tiruvannamalai
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2013, 02:33:40 PM »
This time when I was in the pataala linga, the pujari of the shrine all of a sudden stared at me in the crowd. I thought what could be the reason, then I realized since I am dressed in a proper treditional way of pure white dhothi & kumkum color kurtha, probably that could be the reason. When I started to leave, I could hear a guy calling me & when I turned behind it was the pujari(little bit young) who followed me. When I told him that I dont know tamil, he started speaking to me in broken english & told me that there is a abhishekam in the evening @ 5 & i can do it by my self personally @ free of cost. I thought thats okay coz I have to leave @ 7 from Tvnmala. He took few details from me like gothram, fathers name etc later he told it will cost Rs 2500/- to buy the things to perform abhishekam & now I realized why he starred @ me initially & followed me. When I told him that I have limited bucks as I am about to leave on the same day, he was bit annoyed and asked for dakshina when I was about to leave. It was not so good experience for me until then, as the day started beautifully with the abhishekam in the main temple. I thought wearing proper ethnic wear is also not good.

Overall my trip has been very fruitful & no regrets what so ever! I thanked Arunachala & our master for giving me the opportunity to visit our home & left the holy place.

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!     

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
That is awesome, spending Mahasivaratri in Tiruvannamalai. I was beginning to wonder why you weren't posting your experience and here it is. :-)

There is a Hindi recording of Arunachala Aksharamanamalai. I heard it in the book store and it was just as captivating as the Tamil version.

BTW, How was it walking in the dark?

Child of Arunachala

Dear Child of Arunachala,

I had to work for continuous 7 days in office after a vocation & had some pending work to be done in the weekoff, so did not get much time after the trip. But here I am with impressions.

I did not feel any darkness amidst of camphor's, deepam light & with occasional street lights the darkness was not much there & after few hours the early sun light made things even more beautiful. I have Arunachala Aksharamanamalai in telugu but in cassette, which i bought many years before but dont have it in mp3 & I also searched in web but was not successful.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
Dear Vinod,

So nice and interesting to read about Your visit to our Father. It is wonderful that You have visited Arunachala on such a special and sacred day. So much impressions,and i guess true imressions are beyond any description,in the very heart. Beautiful! And more than that...

Thank You so much for sharing all this!

With love and prayers,

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
Dear Vinod,

I was going to give you valuable tips on how to handle sadhus, beggars and aggressive priests in Tiruvannamalai but then I saw that you have quoted my entire post back to me. I find that really annoying.  So I will not give you those tips.  I will let you live and learn. How hard can that be.  :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:13:28 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2013, 06:43:44 PM »

My intentions were not to annoy you, however if you did not like it please accept my sincere apologies. Request you to please share your valuable suggestions or tips to handle people which can be helpful for anyone who read this post.

Thanks in advance!

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2013, 06:57:59 PM »
Dear Vinod,

You are doubly blessed in staying in Arunachala,. doing girivalam and having darshan of Sri Bhagavan (Sri Ramaneswara Mahalingam
and Sri Matrubhuteswara Lingam and Yogambika - on Sivaratri night apart from having darshan and Uma and Siva in the temple.
Very nice.  Did you visit Sri Dakshinamurti shrines (both inside and outside the Asramam) and also Guru Moortham?  These are
places of importance, apart from Pachiamman Kovil, where Sri Bhagavan told Muni the last three hundred verses of Uma Sahasram,
in a trance.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Subramanian Ji,

Hope you are doing good. Honestly speaking due to my offlate spirituality, I cannot recognize the gods except the main ones like lord Shiva & Ganesha & being oblivious to tamil, it even makes things difficult. If I am correct Sri Dakshinamurti shrine is the one which is attached to the wall of the Ramanaashramam beside the main gate & if it is, I will always start my girivalama after worshiping him & also end it by worshipping him.

For the first time I have visited Virupaksha cave & its surprising to still smell the strong fragnance of vibuthi after knowing the history about it. I was not fortunate to visit the Gurumurtham temple unlike the last time but I will make it next time. Till now I have never been to Esanya Desikar Shrine due to time constrain & I will not miss it next time, what ever the case.

Thank you for your kind words & suggestions sir!

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2013, 07:02:35 PM »
Vinod

Happy with ur Arunachala visit during Shivarathri . You must be blessed to be there during Shivarathri .
Hope you went back spiritually energized .

Dear Atma Vichar,

Hope you are fine & some how I feel last visit has been very mesmirizing compared to my previous visits, may be its just for the reason being Shivraatri which is my fav day/festival in the entire year.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:16 PM »

Dear Vinod,

Yes. That is the Dakshinamurti shrine which I had mentioned.  It is a powerful shrine and on Thursdays, you can see crowds
in a long queue, almost blocking the road.  There is one new Daskhinamurti Shrine inside the Asramam, which is newly installed
just below the new library building in the far end.

Arunachala Siva. 

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2013, 07:07:46 PM »
Dear Vinod,

So nice and interesting to read about Your visit to our Father. It is wonderful that You have visited Arunachala on such a special and sacred day. So much impressions,and i guess true imressions are beyond any description,in the very heart. Beautiful! And more than that...

Thank You so much for sharing all this!

With love and prayers,

Dear jewell,

I hope when you make your maiden visit to our home, you should give us even more clear or elobarated impressions :)

We thank you for creating this topic to share our experiences.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »
Dear Vinod,

O yes! I cant wait to do that. It will be a huge elaborat on few pages. :) I will have lots of impressiong,coz i am coming for first time to India too. I cant wait! The day i step on that plane,will be be most beautiful day of my life. Yeeeeeeeeee :) I am already excided. I hope it will be soon.

Thanj You,dear friend!

With love and prayers,

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2013, 02:42:30 PM »
Dear Vinod,

Nay, I will hold off on my tips to keep aggressive sadhus, beggars and priests away. You are still continuing to quote people's entire posts back to them. It is either because of an obstinate vasana or don't care attitude, neither of which will work with Arunachala.

I hope you realize it is costing the website owner server space - for which he is paying for out of the goodness of his heart.  It is costing the rest of us energy to download more (totaly unnecessary lines).  In short, you (and others who do the same thing) are wantonly wasting the resources of the universe. Any wonder then that the beggars are so aggressive with you.  I will let you live and learn. :-)

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:45:45 PM by Child of Arunachala »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »
I have been watching few changes in the few years I have been in Tvnmalai. People are becoming very desperate for the money, from beggars to even pujaris(with due respect).

This is common in most tourist places where there is a lot of floating visitor population .  The people who cheat you or take you for a ride know that you come once in a while and do all their disposal to cheat you or take you for a ride .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2013, 06:09:40 PM »

I was not aware of that, so its just a mistake in ignorance but however it seems to be a valid suggestion and I agree with you. So henceforth I will not do it until n unless if it is absolute necessary.

Thanks for sharing the knowledge. I still leave it to u whether to share any tips regarding how to handle "aggressive" people coz if you share, it will be helpful for anyone who reads this post.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:28:08 PM by Vinod »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:27 PM »
These are specially ordained by the Lord Almighty for each one of us to realise the truth.

After all, who is being cheated? is it not the 'i'? These are divine plans and divinely ordained! Whose money is being robbed after all? is it ours or God's?

Is there anything that can be claimed as ours? which can be snatched by others? who is snatching whose money? God is just asking His own money, He gives as He wills and He takes it as He wills!

There is no question of being cheated. We can never be cheated! This is the Truth!

Who are we? Even our body is not ours, nor even the mind and so on..

One is truly blessed when has been cheated royally!

--
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 06:42:22 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »
Dear Vinod,

Well, I, too felt harassed for money on my first visit to Tiruvannamalai.  A local elder explained to me "We lose money when we owe God money."

Since then I have been donating money to Sri Ramanasramam and the Arunachaleswarar temple (places where I get my spiritual nourishment) atleast once a year, sometimes more.  It  costs Rs. 3,000 to sponsor one day's feeding at each of these places.  There have been times when my expenses, especially rent in Tiru, was high and I could only donate, say a Rs 1000, but I would do it, thinking I was feeding fewer sadhus.   This totally eliminated the harassment when I visit Tiru.  The people being fed at these places have all been personally selected by Arunachaleswarar or Bhagavan, otherwise they wouldn't be able to eat there.

When I donate, I take the money first to Arunachala and Bhagavan, offer it to them and only then proceed to the temple or ashram office to pay it.  This ensures in my mind that the money is protected, will be used wisely and maybe even multiply to pay the bills of these organizations.

I know a few people in Tiruvannamalai who donate a lot more than I do.  One friend has rented a house in Tiru and he and his family, have chanting going on all day long. The sadhus often join them in chanting and then they are served their mid-day meal everyday.   

Another person I know off bought a house and started feeding sadhus idlis in the morning.  The program is in its 24th year now.

One of them told me that his medical bills came down drastically as a result of this. He was also incurring heavy losses in his business because of thefts and break-ins. That stopped immediately.    I hope this helps.

Child of Arunachala
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 05:02:42 AM by Child of Arunachala »