Author Topic: Impressions from travels to Tiruvannamalai  (Read 23972 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Impessions from travels to Tiruvannamalai
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 12:42:58 AM »
It is very interesting to read Your story,and everything what was happening there,especialy for me,coz i never been there,and i make pictures in my head,so it feels like i was there in some way. I only dont know how will i react when i see those snakes. :)

Dear Jewell,

I understand that you have never been to the heart of spirituality(Arunachala) but I am sure, u are one among the lucky ones to hear, think and speak about Arunachala. U being a foreigner now know about master and our father arunachala which is not a small thing coz there are many people in southern part of India including tamil nadu doesnt know much about this place or dont know anything about our master which is surprising. So even imagining when we share our experiences about Arunachala will help you in attaining liberation and never feel disappointed that you are not able to visit coz for every thing a time has to come and I am sure one day even your time will come with the blessings of our two eyes (one our master and the other our arunachala).

Speaking about girivalam barefoot, it is not so tough on the first day but very tough to repeat it any time between next 2 days coz your feet still has some pain. I had lot of pain on the second time but somehow I completed it by praying when ever I was in pain. The main thing is, always have good and long sleep after girivalam, it will help your body to rejuvenate. 

Regarding snakes or any creature, we should not be concerned coz if we dont bother them, they dont bother us and must always remember that "we are the trespassers but not not they".

Thank you so much dear, for your kind wishes and cheering for me as well.

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!   

Thank You Very much dear Vinod,for those kind and beautiful words! I am sure the time will come when i will visit Arunachala also,and see all that by myself. :) In the mean time i will enjoy reading everything about that,coz even if i am faraway,Arunachala and Bhagavan are Always in my heart. They Are my Heart.
Thank You again for beautiful,comforting and supporting words!!!

Dear Jewell and others,

This time I had a funny experience when I was at punchamukha view of the hill. It was around 12.15 AM and I was watching the hill and it was very beautiful with moon on top of it, as if it is (moon) playing hide n seek game with clouds and the whole view was very beautiful. It was very silent with nobody around. All of a sudden a devotee has come on byke and started praying in such a funny way that its still stuck in my mind. It seems may be he doesnt know any prayers or songs and he just said few names of saints and arunachala that he knew. He also sung a song from the movie Arunachalam (rajni kanth). He repeated those few names so many times in such a way that, it was very funny. When I say its funny, I dont mean to disrespect his devotion coz his love for the arunachala was very much present and it also shows his innocence. After some time I left and he was still there praying in the same way.

That is truly funny!  :D And very beautiful too,coz,like You said innocence and His love are most important things. Sweet and funny! :)

Thank You for sharing all this,dear Vinod!
Wish You All the Best from All my Heart!

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
whenever I visit Arunachala experience will be mostly unique to that trip.

Most of the time  my mind will be restless and all desires,  fears will come out very liberally.

I will be buying some books either at Ramasramam or at the opposite shop.

I did only once giri pradakshina but with chappals only.

Somehow eiether stay or food at Sri Ramasramam has not worked out yet.

My favourite spots are the holy tree inside temple,   old meditation hall,  adi annamalai.

In one of the trips I paid Rs 250/- for seeing the evening holy abhisekam.

Even though weather will be hot I like it at Annamalai somehow.

Last trip when I went on Sep 22, 23,  I bought a beautiful book called Truth that summarized Papaji's teachings and prescription on various sadhanas.

I will not love Arunachala in the common sense by taking some liberty on him whenever I go there,  I will mostly try to keep an element of fear within me.

I have gone only once to skandashram and virupaksha cave.

I planning to visit Hill top once and also Pachiamman temple.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Dear ksksat27,

"Most of the time  my mind will be restless and all desires,  fears will come out very liberally.

That was my biggest fear,whenever i think about Arunachala and my coming. That fear was constantly there,first from Arunachala itself,and later only from my self,how will i act,think,feel... But,somehow,i dont have it anymore. Now i have only friendly feeling,and wish to come there. I hope i will...

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:20 AM »

This may sound shallow when we are discussing the divine atmosphere of the ashram. But for me and my family, it was a lesson in tolerance ("titiksha") to visit the ashram. It reminded me and taught my children to reduce the importance we give to physical comforts.

It brought tears to my eyes to see my 3 US-born children (ages 9,7 and 3) sit on the floor, wait patiently for the food, eat with hands from a leaf under the photo of Bhagawan. Also, when we went inside the Virupaksha cave, it was so hot and stuffy and everybody was perspiring. However, all 3 of them sat quietly for several minutes. I can understand Bhagawan was beyond this, but seeing many people in the cave now was very inspiring.

Going inside the cave, seeing the patala lingam where Bhagawan stayed for a while, walking near the elephant where also Bhagawan slept - all of this does reinforce forbearance in us. We all consciously remember and talk about it when we feel like complaining about weather or anything else.

I still have mixed opinions about barefeet girivalam.. I did it barefeet and my husband wore shoes, however, the pain over the next few days did make it unpleasant for me.

Dear Deepa

No hard feelings,  just wanted to share my opinion openly.

I have seen people who come to arunachala not ready to leave their social status even for a period of 3 days.

I think problem is,  we have accumulated lot of physical comforts,  spent a lot of time in career and earning wherein Bhagavan's life style was to keep things very simple,   toil yourself less,  have less and be contended.

Somehow we have landed into the liking for chillness,  weather,  comforts etc.  So even when we want to live for a month in arunachala, our body and mind simply dont  cooperate.

But I could not understand why you had tears when you see your US born children wait for the food.  It was a conscious decision to stay in ashram and you could have opted to stay in a resort also .  There are many Inn type residencies where you can cook your food in micro wave,  it has a small fridge,   AC in generator etc.

So my point is,  I feel we should decide first itself and then should not feel that we dont have the comforts.

Its not about you only,  many people has this problem.

I have seen both comforts and discomforts in my life -- not poverty but rural life and discomforts I had plenty.   So what I feel is this:   if we want luxury,  we have to complicate the life with many cares,  24 X 7 career orietned and career driven lifestyle etc.

But there will be no peace of mind .   

If we want peace of mind,  we have to be contended with a rural life,  weather may be hot but the city life style's mental torture will not be there.

Anycase,   I think we are somewhat humble and started to appreciate the spiritual values --  sooner or later the cycle of birth and death will end for us.

Sorry if I hurt you,  but I am generally commenting on people's mentality.

Also walking barefoot is near to impossible --  I dont think we should strain ourself like that to impress Arunachala.  Whatever we can do ,  we have to do,  thats it.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2012, 11:09:09 AM »
Dear ksksat27,

"Most of the time  my mind will be restless and all desires,  fears will come out very liberally.

That was my biggest fear,whenever i think about Arunachala and my coming. That fear was constantly there,first from Arunachala itself,and later only from my self,how will i act,think,feel... But,somehow,i dont have it anymore. Now i have only friendly feeling,and wish to come there. I hope i will...

Dear Jewell,

Better please dont postpone this trip to Arunachala.   Which country you are living and do you face finance problem to come to India?

Anycase please pray for a quicker trip.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2012, 01:45:06 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

Once an identical question came from a devotee to Sri Bhagavan: He said: O Bhagavan! Whenever I come to
Arunachala, all my desires, vasanas etc. come out in great force.  Sri Bhagavan relplied: Don't worry. Whatever
is there inside should come out only like this. Slowly all these vasanas will dry up and one will be free!

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:04 AM »
Dear ksksat27,

Dear Jewell,

Better please dont postpone this trip to Arunachala.   Which country you are living and do you face finance problem to come to India?

Anycase please pray for a quicker trip.

Dear ksksat27,

Thank You for those kind words,and advice! I see it like blessing. Thank You!!!

I live in Serbia,Balkan,ex Yugoslavia. There is,sure,finance problem,but i dont see it that way. I can menage,but i am not sure if that is what i need to do. How to say,i live like that,that i try not to pursue anything by myself,then that what is needed,coz everything i need come by itself. And more then that! I am taking that much which is necessary for me,not searching for,if that ask for too much struggle. I saw that it is like that with me. I learned to wait opportunities,coz i saw many times that,that is what i need to do.
In the same manner,i wait that opportunity for coming there,and i am sure that would come if that was needed. Always come,whatever wish i have. And this wish is growing and growing with each day. I somehow think,that when the time is right,solution will come. I have solution even now,but i wait for some sort of sign,how to say,without struggle. Sometimes,i am in fear to wish too much,coz i dont know truly what is best for me in some moment. :) So i left that to Bhagavan and Arunachala.

But,maybe You are right,i should see to come sooner. Because,like i said,that longing is bigger with each day... I will see what will happen,and i hope that soon i will put my impressions here. :)

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 03:25:03 PM »

Dear Jewell,

Likewise even I used to fear a bit when ever I used to visit godess durga/kali maata temple, since this godess has many ferocious avataar's when killing demons and many people who perform black magic or vodoo stuff worship this god and  used to fear looking at her ferocious avataars but due to one of my bengali friend (bengali's main god is durga maata) I started worshiping her as well. Now we have devi navraatri festival coming soon, were most of the people from the east, north and Hyderabad in south celebrate this festival grandly.

During this festival we have godess being worshiped for 9 days with special pujas and entire family including girlfriends can go and participate in a dance called dandiya before god and have great fun along with blessings. So its gonna be great 9 days with devotion, fun and very colourful treditional dressing for both men and women.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 03:26:42 PM by Vinod »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
Dear Jewell,

What is the fear of a young housewife going to her Mother's place. Sri Bhagavan is Mother, Father, Guru and God. You need not
have any fear in going to the Asramam. You will be feeling quite comfortable and you will attending to the various daily routines
with all happiness and peace would pervade you all through.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 03:59:35 PM »
But,maybe You are right,i should see to come sooner. Because,like i said,that longing is bigger with each day... I will see what will happen,and i hope that soon i will put my impressions here. :)

Dear Jewell,

What i think is, don't be desperate to come soon or try too hard, as what ever you may try and if it is not your turn, you will never come and if it is your turn to come, what ever hurdle you face, you will over come that like walking on flowers and you will be there in the arms of Arunachala. This is my personal experience.

I had one of my friend his name is Gokul and he had many personal problems and looking at me he said, one day he will also accompany me to Arunachala. When the time has come to go, one of his family member was no more and he has to cancel his trip. This is not to scare you, but its just his wish when to call us and when the time comes money, air tickets, help and every thing will be there for you.

My other recent experience was just few days back when I was planning to visit. I did not have money in my a/c but i had liquid cash (physical cash). I thought its not safe to carry cash with me as it may be risky and the bank was also very far(30KM) from my house to go and deposit in my a/c. I was very confused what to do, wait for few days or go to the bank and deposit. Next day morning my bro called from US and he said he will be transferring me some money to take care of his bills. I was so excited that I said, I will pay them with my liquid money and use the a/c money for my trip, for which he had no issues.  Then immediate next day I booked tickets, room and everything was fine. So just relax and wait for your turn with prayers in your heart.

This is just my opinion and not to give any contrary comments to KSK.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 04:09:23 PM by Vinod »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 07:21:58 PM »

Dear Jewell,

Likewise even I used to fear a bit when ever I used to visit godess durga/kali maata temple, since this godess has many ferocious avataar's when killing demons and many people who perform black magic or vodoo stuff worship this god and  used to fear looking at her ferocious avataars but due to one of my bengali friend (bengali's main god is durga maata) I started worshiping her as well. Now we have devi navraatri festival coming soon, were most of the people from the east, north and Hyderabad in south celebrate this festival grandly.

During this festival we have godess being worshiped for 9 days with special pujas and entire family including girlfriends can go and participate in a dance called dandiya before god and have great fun along with blessings. So its gonna be great 9 days with devotion, fun and very colourful treditional dressing for both men and women.

Dear Vinod,

It is funny,but i was scared of Avatars of Kali too. :) When i remember that,it puts smile on my face. I didnt know much about that,i didnt understand,and thats why i feared. But now,it is completely different. The moment i understand that,the fear is gone.

And i must say that i adore Your festivals. Absolutely beautiful decorations,with so much flowers and colors! I didnt saw something like that anywhere else. Real enjoyment for the eyes. Also that traditional,truly wonderful,charming,lovely traditional dressing! Truly Beautiful!!!

"What i think is, don't be desperate to come soon or try too hard, as what ever you may try and if it is not your turn, you will never come and if it is your turn to come, what ever hurdle you face, you will over come that like walking on flowers and you will be there in the arms of Arunachala. This is my personal experience.

I think that too. Somehow,everything unfolds when something needs to happen. At least it is like that in my life. I believe god have some good reason to keep me here,and everything in its own time. Whenever i come,it will be perfect time. Bhagavan and Arunachala are anyway Always with me.

Your example is showing beautifuly everything i think about all this. Wonderful! :)

Thank You so much for sharing all this, dear Vinod!

Wish You the Very,Very Best!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Dear Jewell,

What is the fear of a young housewife going to her Mother's place. Sri Bhagavan is Mother, Father, Guru and God. You need not
have any fear in going to the Asramam. You will be feeling quite comfortable and you will attending to the various daily routines
with all happiness and peace would pervade you all through.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Indeed there should not be any fear. And it is past now,why should i fear of coming Home!! I believe too it will be very peaceful and beautiful experience.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »
Dear Vinod,

There are important places to be seen, apart from 8 Lingams in giri Pradakshina road. One is Panchamukha Darsnam, another is
Nandi mukha Darsnam, the third is is viewing summit from Ner Annamalai Temple, then Isanya desikar's Samadhi (he attained
Jiva Samadhi), then is the idukku pillaiyar kovil. Here through a hole from behind the structure, one has to enter the same and
come out from the outer hole. Only who are lean can do that., It is believed that all diseases would be cured out of this
exercise.

I have seen people keeping an incense stick and walking. I have also seen people giving Re 1 to each alms seeker on the way.

Arunachala Siva.         

Dear Subramanian,

I remember seeing nandi mukha view only on my maiden visit but not any other time, coz most of the times I have done pradakshina during night times, so I missed it. I have also never been to Virupaksha cave and I will not miss it next time. idukku pillaiyar kovil, I have seen people going through but never tried it, but I will try it next time coz I am not so heavy.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2012, 08:15:12 PM »
Dear vinod,

If you go for giri pradkashina, in the day time, you can see;

1. Nandi muka darsana.
2. Panchamukha darsana - the view of five hills.
3.  Ner Annamlai tempe where Devi, did tapas to get the half of the form of Siva.
4.  Idukku Pillaiyar temple.
5. Isanya Desikar Math, where this great soul attained jiva samadhi and his body itself had disappeared from the room.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2012, 08:24:48 PM »
Also walking barefoot is near to impossible --  I dont think we should strain ourself like that to impress Arunachala.  Whatever we can do ,  we have to do,  thats it.

Dear KSK,

Thats true but still it is not so tuff coz as suggested by our master, one can hire a cab or any vehicle to reduce the pain by covering some distance or one can also do it through installments. So there are many concessions given by our master and the main point is, if the pradakshina is a easy stuff there would be no meaning in it and one can never gain self realization or moksha by doing so  . Not only about arunachala there are many other places like Tirupathi, Chilkur Balaji Temple in hyderabad etc all are painful practices but not easy stuff. Thats why what ever the case our master always insisted on girivalam.

As per below comments there are people who have done things which are way beyond our imaginations. We must take them as inspiration and must try to do little or basic things which can be possible with us.

Dear All,

Talking about giri pradakshina, one Western lady, during one of the last two years, did body pradakshina of the Hill !!
She rolled on the outer path and completed a rolling pradakshina in one full day.

Muruganar did giri pradakshina for 48 days continuously. He said after covering some distance, he had lost body
consciousness and was walking with inner voice guiding him.

One Deiva Sikamani Desikar of the past, did giri pradakshina, with chanting of 100 times Nama Sivaya, for each step.
I am not sure how many days he took to complete it.

Arunachala Siva.