Author Topic: Impressions from travels to Tiruvannamalai  (Read 23946 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Impressions from travels to Tiruvannamalai
« Reply #90 on: March 26, 2013, 10:10:03 AM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

The contribution to the Asramam has been increased due to inflation.  for Sadhu bhiksha it is Rs 2000/- for bhiksha for the visitors
and inmates (ie. our regular lunch) is Rs 4000.00.  One can of course, donate, lesser amounts, but this is taken for their other
expenses and not for bhiksha.

Arunachala Siva.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 26, 2013, 12:47:18 PM »
Dear Subramaniam sir,

I saw on the ashram website last year that the sadhu bhiksha has gone upto Rs. 3,000 and the regular lunch to Rs. 5,000. I have been paying accordingly. Although, once when I gave Rs. 1,000 (over and above what I donate) the accountant accepted it gracefully. Mani anna was at his desk. Neither of them said anything. Ofcourse, I am not privy to their accounting. My motto is give your maximum. It should feel like a sacrifice.

I know of people who sponsor sadhu bhiksha at the ashram many times during the year.  I know others who feed the cows (Goddess Lakshmi & Lord Krishna), monkeys (Hanuman), dogs (Bhairava) and crows (Shani's vahana & ancestors) regularly.

One year I followed a friend's idea and took idli packets and distributed it to sadhus around the hill but it wasn't as fulfilling an exercise. It felt like I was throwing food packets away even though I was doing it respectfully seated in an auto. I haven't done that since. 

The Arunachaleswara temple and Ramana asramam are my most favourite places to donate. It has strengthened my connection to Arunachala and Bhagavan.

Child of Arunachala.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 05:09:23 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 26, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »

Yes. Your figures are correct.  I had only given them incorrectly.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 26, 2013, 02:06:03 PM »
Regarding  Donation for Annadanam in Temples / Ashrams :

The inflation in essential food items ( rice , dal , cooking oil etc ) is very highly visible and we must take this in to account when making any contributions towards Annadanam in any Ashram / Temple . Some places explicitly state the  amount needed per day for Annadanam ( and change it every 3-5 years keeping the inflation in mind )  but in many places they do not fix any specific amount for the same and allow people to make whatever contributions they feel like doing .
Temples in Tamil Nadu Coming under Governmnet have special Annadanam Hundis and even Arunachaleeshwar Temple has one big Hundi for Annadanam . There are no receipts for the same and u can contribute whatever u feel like .
As regards Ashram better to ask for any specific Annadanam schemes and donate accordingly or if you feel you cant afford that amount  make a general donation .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2013, 06:40:50 PM »

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with all of us & I was fortunate enough to know about the biksha or annadaanam from prev posts and in my last visit, I kept it in one of my reminders and got the bank details from the accountant or the manager were I can transfer the money through NEFT.

This is the best way to be satisfied that we are still being part of charity despite of not donating personally.

This reminds me of one incident which I had in my last visit. When I was on my way of second girivalam on a lovely evening, I decided to buy biscuits for the stray dogs. When I went to a shop there was a old women who purchased some mixture(bundhi) from the shop to eat. When the shop guy was about to give me the change, she started asking me for the change & I was really shocked coz a really poor needy person who beggs for food wouldn't buy that I guess. My opinion may or may not be correct but this is what I felt at that time & I willfully did not offer her the change thinking someone else deserves that.

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!   

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
Dear Vinod,

This is just my opinion. I think you are being hard on this poor old lady.  Maybe it was a vasana for bhoondi, like Bhagavan's mother had for appalam, or maybe she was hungry.  When you are a street person, you don't have a stove, utensils and supplies. Buying a precooked food is your only way out - often it is junk food. Atleast she wasn't doing drugs or drinking, like many of the male sadhus do to survive the hard life on the streets. Of course they can do intense sadhana but drinking and drugs come easy.

One sadhu told me that it is great that these ashrams and temples are providing free food but many of the sadhus can't digest parboiled rice that is served. They are old and need something mushy. So this sadhu packages the free food he gets and sells it to buy the rice he can eat. That puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Also, there is so much corruption in India, many of the temples are not free from it.   That is why I offer my money directly first to God and then put it in the hundi. Atleast my money will not be misused. Or so I believe. ???   :-\

Child of Arunachala 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:01:54 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
Dear All,

First let me thank Arunachala for giving me the opportunity of being there during the special occasion. I did not plan my trip well this time, I did not book the air tickets well in advance, so thought I can try train tathkal tickets but missed it too. Final and worst one for me is to travel in Volvo, as I don’t have any other option. I reached Tiru on Sunday morning 4.30 AM with nausea & severe headache & felt very sick. Climate in Tiru was not good with wet roads & I was wondering if it rains again how bad things may become during pradakshina with so many people around. So finally got to the room & I hardly slept till lunch, due to the preparations for the fest. Finally after good lunch I had some sleep & woke up in the evening & felt little bit better. I have been to the ashram & had hard time just to cross the road, as the entire road has been totally filled with people who are mostly rushing. Ramana lingam was looking beautiful with fresh flowers & ashram was nicely decorated with diya & the entire ambience was looking stupendous. After some time I decided to be in dhyanam & when I closed my eyes after quick few minutes I was about to fall asleep & realized that my body is still tired & in need of rest. I came back to the room & from balcony I watched the jyothi being lit & after several minutes of wait, I could hardly see the jyothi due to too many clouds.

Started pradakshina at 11 in the night & thankfully it’s less crowded. I felt lot of distractions this time esp with people who are buying & blowing honkies or some whistle thing which was very annoyingly irritating during the entire pradakshina. Worst thing was even mature adults were blowing that honky along with kids which was real disgrace. I hardly found people chanting & there were too many commercial activities with loud speakers. I tried my best to keep the focus on the hill and kept singing inside. By the time I reached Adi Annamalai temple, it was surprisingly closed which shouldn’t be the case during special occasions. I don’t remember looking at the jyothi during my girivalam, as the hill itself was covered with clouds most of the times. I have completed pradakshina by 5 in the morning & still I did not have the spiritual feeling which I always used to have after the pradakshina & it’s may be coz of the too many distractions or may be I was not determined.

With the sense of incompleteness I have again started girivalam on Tuesday at 5 PM & it was pleasant evening without any distractions what so ever & it was just me & Arunachala. This time I was fortunate to be at my favorite adi annamalai temple before its closing time. By the time I reached the main temple, I saw group of people mostly women & little girls who were chanting & doing pradakshina. I felt so nice listening to that ( in spite of the fact that I am oblivious to tamil), I joined them & completed my girivalam with ease by 11. Overall it’s been great spiritual experience this time & I also got the feeling that doing pradakshina on normal days is better than special days which no longer has the spiritual ambience. 

Like always I visited main temple in the morning but it was more beautifully decorated in the evenings with good lighting and flower decoration Aah! How can I explain, it was amazing. Being in temple especially in the late evening was so good that I did not realize the time being there.

Due to some reasons this time I was getting disturbed with too many thoughts either related to office or home. I tried to focus on the self but still I was unsuccessful most of the times & this never happened to me before. I have seen less monkeys & no peacocks at all this time in the ashram, don’t know why. It’s been good few days in Tiru & when I was back to Chennai to board the train, I was late by 15 min’s & I missed it. Being allergic to the bus journey I had to stay in Chennai for one night & booked air tickets for the next day & I am back home.

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:22 AM »
Dear Vinodji,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I can imagine the crowds being unruly and noisy. I like Subramaniamji's idea of going the day after the mahadeepam and finding the place calm. But you are blessed to have attended the function. Living far from Tiru, it is nice to read about other people's visits to our holy place.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »
Dear Vinod,

Thank You for sharing all this with us! It is such joy to even just touch this sacred land,not to mention all You experienced and saw. I can imagine the crowd and noise ,and that can be real nuisance. But,the most important thing is that You'd been to our Home and our Father.

With love and prayers,