Author Topic: Divine poetry and thoughts  (Read 1572980 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Divine poetry and thoughts
« Reply #3780 on: February 23, 2017, 08:27:28 PM »

If you go on working with the light available,
you will meet your Master,
as he himself will be seeking you.

Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3781 on: February 26, 2017, 07:04:18 PM »

HOMEWARD

Does the perfume that leaves the lily
Ever yearn to return to it?
And to the wide surging darkness
The flame when once it is lit?

Does the sound that is struck in the tower
Ever yearn to return to its bell?
Does the water you fill in your pitcher
Ever yearn to return to its well?

Harindranath Chattopadhyaya

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3782 on: March 28, 2017, 06:56:11 PM »

On whichever side that Gracious One may be,
go and for God's sake,for God's sake,
be thou also on that side.
He said:"Suppose the worthy man is not induced to speak by your device
and has already perceived the trick,
Tell me truly,how can you know his hidden nature?"
He replied:"I sit before him in silence
and make patience a ladder to climb upwards:
Patience is the key to success.
And if in his presence there should be gush from my heart
a speech beyond this realm of joy and sorrow,
I know that he has sent it to me from the depths of a soul
illumined like Canopus rising in Yemen.
The speech in my heart comes from that auspicious realm,
for there is a window between heart and heart.

Masnavi
Rumi

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3783 on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:43 PM »

He's not the herdsman who I love, but a light divine!
The magic tunes played on his flute have ruined Hir Sial.

Though millions come and go, his mystery remains . . .

Bullhe Shah
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:29:18 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3784 on: March 28, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »

O sulky woman, look!
The gentle spring breeze is blowing and Krishna has come to your trysting chamber.
 My dear friend, what could be a greater source of happiness than this?

Jayadeva
Gita Govinda 18;2

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3785 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »

He is the peacock of the woods, who brightened
his mother's womb and whose very skin is supple
as a cobra's hood, glistening as if basted in almond
oil and we just can't look away.

May our past crimes burn, let those yet to come
burn and turn to ash, know us only as we are before
you now, cowgirls bathing in what pours from above,
what rises from below to soak us.

Do you not hear dear friends how the birds chirrup,
how resonant the conch sounds from the temple
of Garuda's lord? It pervades the air with his name -
Hari. Hari. Hari. Hurry.

Sri Andal

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:36:56 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3786 on: April 04, 2017, 07:17:58 PM »

The Self,
revealed as our true nature within the Heart through the power of self-enquiry,
is none other than the peerless reality of the Supreme,
which alone remains after this worldly illusion has faded into nothingness.

Sri Muruganar
Sri Guru Ramana Prasadam

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3787 on: April 04, 2017, 07:22:58 PM »

Devotion Thou Art!
The fruit of that devotion too Thou art!
Siddhi, so highly spoken of, Thou art!
The power of Siddhi too Thou art!
Mona-Mukti, of divine prowess, Thou art!
The Source of that mukti, too, Thou art!
The Primal Wisdom, too, Thou art!
Is there anything that is mine?
Oh! Life Eternal
That is Perfection-Bliss!

Thayumanavar
Life-Eternal That is Perfection-Bliss (6/7)

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3788 on: April 04, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »

Three Travellers Tell Their Dreams

Three devout men of different religions fall in traveling together by chance.
They stop at a caravanserai* where the host brings as a gift a sweet
dessert halvah, some taste of God's nearness.
This is how people out in the country serve strangers.
The Jew and the Christian are full, but the Muslim has been fasting all day.
The two said, "Lets save it for tomorrow."
The Muslim, "No. Let's save self-denial for tomorrow!"
"You want it all for yourself!" -said the Jew."Divide it into three parts, and each can do as he wants."
Ah,but Mohammad said not to share- "That was about dividing  yourself between sensuality and soul.
You must belong to the one or the other."
But finally for some reason, he gives in,
"I'll do it your way."
And they refrain from tasting. They slept,and then woke up and dressed themselves to begin morning devotions.

Christian, Jew, Muslim, shaman,Zoroastrian, stone, ground,mountain, river,
each has a secret way of being with the mystery, unique and not to be judged. This subject never ends!

Next day three friends were in a grand morning mood.
"Let us tell what dreams we had last night; whoever has had the deepest dreams, gets the halvah."

Agreed. The Jewish man begins the wanderings of his soul.
"Moses met me on the road;I followed him to Sinai: an opening door, light within light.
Mount Sinai and Moses and I merged in an exploding splendor, the unity of the prophets!"
This is a true dream.

Then the Christian sighs,
"Christ took me in his arms to the fourth heaven, a pure vast region... I cannot say..."
His dream also is a true and deep.

The Muslim,
"Muhammad came and told me where you two had gone. 'You wretch!' he said,
'You've been left behind! You may as well get up and eat something.'"
"Noooo!" laugh the Christian and the Jew.
"How could I disobey such glory? Would you not do as Moses and Jesus suggest?"-said the Muslim.
 "You're right,"they said. "Yours is the truest dream, because it had immediate effect in your waking life."

What matters is how quickly you do what your soul directs.

Rumi

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3789 on: April 04, 2017, 08:04:59 PM »

She Is The Creator

There is a tradition that Muhammad said,
"A wise man will listen and be led by a woman,
while an ignorant man will not."

Someone too fiercely drawn by animal urges
lacks kindness and the gentle affections
that keep men human.

Anger and sharp desiring are animal qualities.
A loving tenderness toward women
shows someone no longer pulled along by wanting.

The core of the feminine comes directly as a ray of the sun.
Not the earthly figure you hear about in love songs;
there're more to her mystery than that.
You might say she's not from the manifest world at all,
but the creator of it.

Rumi

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3790 on: April 12, 2017, 02:30:15 AM »
Difficulties on the Path of Meditation

Question: What are the difficulties on the path of meditation and how can they be overcome?

Osho: There are only two difficulties on the path of meditation: one is the ego. You are continuously prepared by the society, by the family, by the school, by the church, by everybody around you, to be egoistic. Even modern psychology is based on strengthening the ego. The whole idea of modern psychology, modern education, is that unless a person has a very strong ego he will not be able to struggle in life, where there is so much competition that if you are a humble man anybody will be able to push you aside. You will always remain backward. You need a very strong steel ego to fight in this competitive world.

Then only can you become a success in any field. It may be business, it may be politics, it may be any profession - you need a very assertive personality. Our whole society is geared to produce an assertive personality in the child. From the very beginning we start telling him, 'Come first in your class.' And when the child comes first in the class, everybody praises him. What are you doing? You are feeding his ego from the very beginning. You are giving him a certain ambition: 'You can become the president of the country; you can become the prime minister of the country?'

And he starts the journey with these ideas. His ego goes on becoming bigger and bigger as he succeeds. In every way the ego is the greatest disease that can happen to man. If you succeed, your ego becomes big - that is a danger, because then you will have to remove a big rock which is blocking the path. Or if the ego is small - you have not been successful, you have proved to be a failure - then your ego will become a wound. Then it hurts, then it creates an inferiority complex.

Then too it creates a problem: you are always afraid to enter into anything, even in meditation, because you know you are a failure, you are going to fail. That has become your mind because everywhere you have failed. And meditation is such a great thing, you cannot succeed. If you enter into meditation with this idea that failure is bound to happen and that is your destiny, that is your fate, then of course you cannot succeed. So if the ego is big it prevents; if the ego is very small it becomes a wound, then too it prevents. In each case the ego is one of the problems.

The second problem- and after stating both the problems I will tell you how to get rid of them. It is not difficult, but first you have to understand the problem in all its complexity. The second hindrance on the path of meditation is your constantly chattering mind. You cannot sit even for a single minute. The mind goes on chattering: relevant, irrelevant, meaningful, meaningless- thoughts go on. It is a constant traffic and it is always rush hour.

Whenever you close your eyes there are so many thoughts running in all directions, that if you sit down for ten minutes and write down whatever is going on in your mind - without any editing, because you are not going to show this to anybody, so don't be worried! Close the door, lock it from inside so that nobody comes in, and just write exactly what goes on in the mind for ten minutes. And after ten minutes read it. And you will be surprised: 'Is it my mind or has somebody gone mad?' Just because you have never looked at it, you have never thought about what is going on.

And if you try, as many people try, because studying books on meditation they think that if you can stop the thoughts by chanting a mantra or the name of God then perhaps the mind can be vacated from thoughts. The books are mostly written by people who have never meditated. I know many people who have written books on meditation. They came to me to ask how to meditate, and I said, 'But in my library I have your book.' They said, 'Yes, we studied a few books on meditation and wrote the book just to help others.' I said, 'But first you should have tried what you have written.

If you cannot help yourself, on what grounds do you think you can help others? You may have destroyed many people's peace of mind. And there are so-called teachers of meditation who will also give you a mantra, that chanted, chanted fast, or any name- Close your eyes, do a certain ritual, take a bath, sit in a lotus posture, start the meditation, and go on as fast as you can - faster and faster, repeating the same name, 'Krishna, Krishna, Krishn' Do it as quickly as possible. After five to seven minutes, you will be in a state of what is scientifically known as autohypnosis. It is not meditation, but it does no harm.

After ten to twelve minutes, when you come out of it you will feel a certain peace, a certain well-being; you will feel good, but this is not meditation. I am not against it if you are trying to do it only to feel good. You can do it, but don't think that by doing it you are going to realize your godliness. That is not possible because this is simply a deliberately created sound sleep. When you repeat a certain word continuously, fast, the mind has no way to go on chattering.

You don't give it any gap to put its thoughts into. Your chanting is so fast that the mind has to remain almost in a situation of a crossroads where the policeman has stopped the whole traffic. Your continuous chanting creates the situation of a policeman stopping the whole traffic, but the traffic is still there, it has not gone; in fact, more traffic has gathered on all the roads. And the moment you come out of meditation your mind will have such a rush as it has never had - naturally, because all the traffic that you have stopped will have to pass. This is not meditation.

One more thing before I tell you what exactly is the problem with the mind. A few teachers of meditation - and particularly in this part of the world, in the East - are saying, 'Keep your mind fixed on something. Start from something outer - a black dot on the wall - and then slowly, slowly close your eyes, and with closed eyes look at the black dot.' And if you have been staring at the black dot for a few minutes, naturally with closed eyes you will see the black dot. Just the impression takes time to disappear. It is the negative of the positive black dot; it is part of the science of photography.

It is the negative that you have created inside. Now look at this negative black dot and if you can continue looking at it, the same thing will happen after five to seven minutes - autohypnosis. You will feel good, and that is the danger. Because you feel good, afterwards you feel a certain well-being, you think you are on the right path - not necessarily. And these things are also not easy - chanting continuously for five to seven minutes is not easy. A few thoughts will enter in and disturb it. Keeping your mind fixed on one dot is also not easy. Thoughts may come, move across and disturb you.

And if you ask your teachers they will say, 'This is your past karma; you will have to wait.' There is no question of past karma, your method is simply wrong. If you are learning to ride a bicycle and you go on falling again and again, and you ask somebody and he says, 'It is because of your past karma' It is simply that you don't know how to ride the bicycle. It has nothing to do with past karma or past life. You simply need the right technique.

I have heard of a story.
A man was very much interested to attain miraculous powers. Wherever he went they said, 'First you have to learn meditation. Without meditation you cannot have miraculous powers.' Finally, he found a very wise old man about whom he had heard, 'He is the greatest meditator alive, but you will have to serve him and not to be in a hurry. You just serve him; whenever the time is right he will give you the meditation and his blessing. You should not ask for it.'

The poor man served the man for one year and he was getting tired: 'This is too much. The second year has begun and the old man still says, 'No sign.?' He was getting fed up and thinking of running from that temple. The day he was thinking to run, the old man said, 'Listen. I was waiting for the right time, but you cannot wait. The time is not right, but because of your hurry I will give you the method. It is very simple and very suited to you.'

The man said, 'My Lord, my God!' He touched his feet. He said, 'I was waiting for this day. I am a fool for having such bad thoughts about you. Just forgive me.' He said, 'Don't be worried about it. This is the method; you go home' - he had written on a small piece of paper just a small mantra and he gave him that. 'This is the mantra. You have to chant it for ten minutes. Just remember one thing: while chanting, don't let any monkey come into your mind.'

The man said, 'You must be mad! Monkeys have never come into my mind. In my whole life not a single monkey has come into my mind - why should a monkey come into my mind?' The old man said, 'I don't know, but this is the condition that goes with this mantra.' The man said, 'There is no problem.' But he was worried. As he was coming down the steps of the temple, he already started seeing monkeys. He would close his eyes - and there were the monkeys. He said, 'My God! I have not even started!' He went home. He took a good bath and sat in padamasan. But as he closed his eyes, and before he could start the mantra, the monkeys started coming - not one! In a line- giggling!

The man said, 'What happened?' He tried hard, but by the morning he was utterly tired. He went to the master. He said, 'Take your mantra back. If this is the condition then I cannot fulfill it ever because of those monkeys. There is not one - you had said one - I don't know how many there are. I have been counting - they go on coming! And I am going mad! I simply don't want any miraculous power, and I don?t want any meditation. I simply want to go home. Just help me to get rid of the monkeys. I am giving your mantra back - but who knows about the monkeys?'

If you try forcibly to keep something out of your mind, it is bound to come. This is a universal law. Seeing the false methods, understanding that the mind is a constant process of thought, I want to explain to you something very simple, without any conditions. All that you have to do- no special posture is needed; whether you have taken a bath or not does not matter. It does not mean that at a certain time, at a certain place you should do it. No, you can do it anywhere, any time. I want it to be so easily possible for you that it mixes with your ordinary life and you don?t have to take some time out of your life specially given to meditation.

The process is witnessing. The thoughts are moving in the mind - you have nothing to do with those thoughts. You are not to prevent them, you are not to chant a mantra, you have just to be a watcher. You have just to see that thoughts are passing, and you are standing by the side of the road looking at the traffic, unconcerned. Whether a bullock cart passes or an elephant passes or a camel passes? it doesn't matter. You don't have to make any judgment. You are just sitting by the side watching the whole scene.

It takes a few days, because of your old habit to make judgments. Something comes, you say, 'This is very good' -and you have lost your capacity of being a watcher, you have already given judgment. Something comes and you say, 'This should not come, this is evil'-? you have already fallen back. Good or evil, beautiful or ugly, you are separate. You are the witness, you are just a mirror. Anything that passes by does not affect the mirror at all. Something good ? the mirror reflects. Something bad - the mirror reflects.

When they have gone, the mirror is as empty as ever. Your consciousness is a mirror, and your consciousness is neither good nor bad. Your consciousness may have lived thousands of years, but not even a scratch is possible on your consciousness. It only reflects; it's function is reflection. That's why I say the divine between you and me is the same - there is no difference at all. I just have recognized that the witnessing is a pure mirror, eternally pure - and you get identified, you forget.

cont...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 02:45:00 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3791 on: April 12, 2017, 02:47:55 AM »
cont...

Remember that: nothing moves in a straight line. If there is no obstacle, the consciousness comes back to its own source. And the consciousness coming back to one?s own source, for the first time sees who is there, who has always been there. That is your real being. You can call it godliness, you can call it divineness, you can call it truth. Any name will do because it has no name; it is a nameless reality. But once it is realized then there is nothing else left. You have attained to the ultimate flowering of your being. This is enlightenment.

So put your ego aside - whether it is big or small, don't be worried - and just be a witness to your mind. Wait and be patient. Don't be in a hurry. It may take a few days for you to get the knack. It is a knack! It is not an art! If it was an art, it would have been very simple to teach, but because it is a knack you have to try.

Slowly you get it. How do you learn to swim? It is not an art. If it was an art you could have learned it in your bedroom. Just on your bed you could have done all the exercises that are prescribed in the book. But it is not an art; you have to go to water. And you will have to face death a few times, but that is part of the progress. Each time you face death, each time you learn something - the knack slowly comes to you. Within two or three days you will be able to swim.

While taking a shower you can try it, because it is a question of witnessing. You can witness anything, and anywhere. There are one hundred and twelve methods of meditation, exhaustive. No more methods can be added to them. And these one hundred and twelve methods are written by Shiva himself perhaps ten thousand years ago. The name of the book is Vigyana Bhairava Tantra. It simply describes one hundred and twelve methods, each method in two lines. I have tried all the methods, and the most surprising experience was that the basic thing in each of the methods is witnessing. Their strategies differ, but their soul is just witnessing.

So I have reduced the one hundred and twelve methods of Shiva into a single method. I am giving you the essential method which no meditation can afford to drop - it is the most essential. You can add any other structure to it, but I have dropped the whole structure. I am giving you the very soul of meditation. You just try, give it a chance. And if I can succeed, I don't see why you cannot succeed. Millions have succeeded in the past. We have just forgotten completely the greatest science of discovering ourselves. It has to be rediscovered and it has to be again spread all over the earth if we want the world to be saved, if we want the world not to be destroyed.

Meditation is something that is your birthright. Claim it! Make it a decision, a commitment that whatever happens, you will not die before you have attained to a meditative state. It is only a question of a firm determination. And if you can attain to meditation, your life will become real life, and your death will become a door to the divine. It will no longer be a death, it will no longer be an end. It will just be freedom from the body and entering into the universal, unlimited, infinite.
Okay?

The Sword and the Lotus
 Osho

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3792 on: April 12, 2017, 02:50:43 AM »

What Happens?

What happens when your soul
Begins to awaken
Your eyes
And your heart
And the cells of your body
To the great Journey of Love?

First there is wonderful laughter
And probably precious tears

And a hundred sweet promises
And those heroic vows
No one can ever keep.

But still God is delighted and amused
You once tried to be a saint.

What happens when your soul
Begins to awake in this world

To our deep need to love
And serve the Friend?

O the Beloved
Will send you
One of His wonderful, wild companions -

Like Hafiz.

Hafiz

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3793 on: April 12, 2017, 02:54:36 AM »

O you who are patient!
Bear a little more,
just a little more remains.

Ibn al-Quayyim

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3794 on: April 18, 2017, 01:02:24 AM »
How Sri Ramakrishna Saw Jesus Merge Into His Body

Jadunath and his mother had great devotion to the Master (Sri Ramakrishna) from the time they first had seen him. Therefore, even if they were not present in the garden at the time of the Master's walk there, the officers would open the door of the parlour and ask him to sit and rest there for some time.

There were some good pictures hanging on the walls of that room. One of those pictures was that of the child Jesus in his mother's lap (picture shown above).

The Master used to say that he sat one day in that parlour and was looking intently at that picture and thinking of the extraordinary life of Jesus, when he felt that the picture came to life, and effulgent rays of light, coming out from the bodies of the Mother and the Child, entered into his heart and changed radically all the ideas of his mind!

On finding that all the inborn Hindu impressions disappeared into a secluded corner of his mind and that different ones arose in it, he tried in various ways to control himself and prayed earnestly to the divine Mother (Kali), "What strange changes art Thou bringing about in me, Mother?" But nothing availed.

Rising with a great force, the waves of those impressions completely submerged the Hindu ideas in his mind. His love and devotion to the Devas (Gods) and Devis (Goddesses) vanished, and in their stead, a great faith in and reverence for Jesus and his religion occupied his mind, and began to show him Christian padrees (priests) offering incense and light before the image of Jesus in the Church and to reveal to him the eagerness of their hearts as is seen in their earnest prayers.

The Master came back to Dakshineswar temple and remained constantly absorbed in the meditation of those inner happenings. He forgot altogether to go to the temple of the divine Mother (Kali) and pay obeisance to Her. The waves of those ideas had mastery over his mind in that manner for three days.

At last, when the third day was about to close, the Master saw, while walking under the Panchavati (grove of 5 sacred trees), that a marvellous god-man of very fair complexion was coming towards him, looking steadfastly at him.

As soon as the Master saw that person, he knew that he was a foreigner. He saw that his long eyes had produced a wonderful beauty in his face, and the tip of his nose, though a little flat, did not at all impair that beauty. The Master was charmed to see the extraordinary divine expression of that handsome face, and wondered who he was.

Very soon the person approached him and from the bottom of the Master's pure heart came out with a ringing sound, the words, "Jesus! Jesus the Christ, the great Yogi, the loving Son of God, one with the Father, who gave his heart's blood and put up with endless torture in order to deliver men from sorrow and misery!"

Jesus, the god-man, then embraced the Master and disappeared into his body and the Master entered into ecstasy (Bhav Samadhi), lost normal consciousness and remained identified for some time with the Omnipresent Brahman (God, the Ocean of Consciousness) with attributes.

? Sri Ramakrishna the Great Master by Swami Saradananda (pages 414 to 416).

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:40:09 AM by Jewell »