Author Topic: Divine poetry and thoughts  (Read 1644563 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Divine poetry and thoughts
« Reply #3735 on: October 09, 2016, 10:01:33 PM »

The mind can go
in a thousand directions,
But on this beautiful path,
I walk in peace.
With each step,
a gentle wind blows,
With each step,
a flower blooms.

Thich Naht Hahn

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: October 09, 2016, 10:15:47 PM »

Have I not commanded you
Be strong and courageous,
Do not be afraid,
Do not be discouraged,
For the Lord Your God
will be with you wherever you go!

Joshua 1:9

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: October 15, 2016, 11:24:13 PM »

There is no other Destroyer than Him,
He is my very Life,the Giver of Life.

He does not die,so i do not fear.
He does not perish,so i do not grieve.

He is not poor,so i do not hunger.
He is not in pain,so i do not suffer.
He does not die,so i do not fear.

He is not bound,so i am not in bondage.
He has no occupation,so i have no entanglements.

He has no impurities,so i have no impurities.
He is the Bliss itself,so i am always happy.

He has no stain,so i have no pollution.
He has no hunger,so i have no thirst.

Since He is immaculately Pure,i correspond to Him.

I am nothing,He is the One and Only,
Before and after, He alone exists.

O Nanak,the Guru has taken away all my doubts and mistakes.
He and I,joining together,are of the same color.

unknown source

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: October 15, 2016, 11:44:13 PM »

Only if I move my arm a certain way,
it comes back.
Or the way the light bends in the trees
this time of year,
so a scrap of sorrow, like a bird, lights on the heart.
I carry this in my body, seed
in an unswept corner, husk-encowled and seeming safe.
But they guard me, these small pains,
from growing sure
of myself and perhaps forgetting.

Jane Hirshfield

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: October 15, 2016, 11:55:05 PM »

For millions of lifetimes,
I've longed to see you,
but didn't know where to look.

Yet,
I've always felt your presence with a mysterious certainty.

Thich Nhat Hanh

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:07 AM »

Believe me, you need nothing except to be what you are.
You imagine you will increase your value by acquisition.
It is like gold imagining that an addition of copper will improve it.
Elimination and purification of all that is foreign to your nature is enough.
All else is vanity.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: October 27, 2016, 01:29:17 AM »

The Mind Like a Firefly

This mind, like a firefly, flashes into existence,
Just to call lovers of the Dark One!
Having been summoned into my beloved Kali,
Her Blackness so mystical, so absorbing,
The mind disappears in Her like a candle dropping
     into the midnight ocean,
Even the cry of ecstasy is lost in Her depths.
Yet those who gaze into Her unfathomable Void
     take on a glow that those with sight can see!
How sublime to reflect Her Dark Light!
How sublime to share Her grace-filled gifts!
Extinguish your self in Her this very instant!
She has waited so long, so patiently
to embrace you - Her Beloved.

Lawrence Edwards

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: October 27, 2016, 01:39:55 AM »

The Plums Tasted

The plums tasted
sweet to the unlettered desert-tribe girl-
but what manners! To chew into each!

She was ungainly, low-caste, ill mannered and dirty,
but the god took the fruit she?d been sucking.

Why? She knew how to love.
She might not distinguish
splendor from filth
but she?d tasted the nectar of passion.

Might not know any Veda,
but a chariot swept her away-
now she frolics in heaven, ecstatically bound
to her god.

The Lord of Fallen Fools, says Mira,
will save anyone who can practice rapture like that-
I myself in a previous birth
was a cowherding girl
at Gokul.

-  Mirabai

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: October 27, 2016, 01:57:14 AM »

Can everyone have the vision of Shyama?

Can everyone have the vision of Shyama?
Is Kali's treasure for everyone?
Oh, what a pity my foolish mind
will not see what is true!
Even with all His penances,
rarely does Shiva Himself behold
The mind-bewitching sight
of Mother Shyama's crimson feet.

To him who meditates on Her,
the riches of heaven are poor indeed;
If Shyama casts Her glance on him,
he swims in Eternal Bliss.
The prince of yogis, the king of the Gods,
meditate on Her feet in vain;
Yet worthless Kamalakanta
yearns for the Mother's blessed feet!

Kamalakanta

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: October 27, 2016, 02:27:34 AM »

You Went Away but Remained in Me

You went away but remained in me
And thus became my peace and happiness.

In separation, separation left me
And I witnessed the Unknown.

You were the hidden secret of my longing,
Hidden deep within my conscience deeper than a dream.

You were my true friend in the day
And in darkness my companion.

Mansur al- Hallaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: November 01, 2016, 07:51:32 PM »
An excerpt from ASHTAVAKRA  GITA

You are not the body, nor is the body yours, nor are you the doer of actions or the reaper of their consequences. You are eternally pure consciousness, the Witness in need of nothing - so live happily.

Desire and anger are objects of the mind, but the mind is not yours, nor ever has been. You are choiceless Awareness Itself and unchanging - so live happily.

Recognising oneself in all beings, and all beings in oneself, be happy, free from the sense of responsibility and free from preoccupation with "me".

Your nature is the consciousness in which the whole world wells up like waves in the sea. That is what you are, without any doubt, so be free of disturbance.

Have faith, my son, have faith. Don't let yourself be deluded in this. You are yourself the Lord, whose very nature is knowledge, and you are beyond natural causation.

The body invested with the senses stands still, and comes and goes. You yourself neither come nor go, so why bother about them?

Let the body last to the end of the Age, or let it come to an end right now. What have you gained or lost, who consist of pure consciousness?

Let the world wave rise or subside according to its own nature in you, the Great ocean. It is no gain or loss to you.

My son, you consist of pure consciousness and the world is not separate from you. So who is to accept or reject it, and how, and why?

How can there be either birth, karma, or responsibility in that one unchanging, peaceful, unblemished, and Infinite consciousness which is you?

Whatever you see, it is you alone manifest in it. How can bracelets, armlets and anklets be different from the gold they are made of?

Giving up such distinctions as "He is what I am" and "I am not that", recognise that "Everything is my Self" and be without distinction and happy.

It is through your ignorance that all this exists. In reality, Self [you] alone exist. Apart from you there is no one within or beyond samsara.

Knowing that all this is just an illusion, one becomes free of desire, pure receptivity, and at peace, as if nothing existed.

Only one thing has existed, exists and will exist in the ocean of Being. You have no bondage or liberation. Live happily and fulfilled.

Being pure consciousness, do not disturb your mind with thoughts of for and against. Be at peace and remain happily in your Self, the essence of joy.

Give up meditation completely, but don't let the mind hold on to anything. You are free by nature, so what will you achieve by forcing the mind?
. . .
My son, you may recite or listen to countless scriptures, but you will not be established within until you can forget everything.

You may, as a learned man, indulge in wealth, activity, and meditation, but your mind will still long for That which is the cessation of desire and beyond all goals.

Everyone is in pain because of their striving to achieve something, but no one realises it. By no more than this instruction, the fortunate one attains tranquillity.

Happiness belongs to no one but that supremely lazy man for whom even opening and closing his eyes is a bother.

When the mind is freed from such pairs of opposites as "I have done this" and "I have not done that", it becomes indifferent to merit, wealth, sensuality and liberation.

One man is abstemious and averse to the senses, another is greedy and attached to them, but he who is free from both taking and rejecting is neither abstemious nor greedy.

So long as desire, the state of lack of discrimination, remains, the sense of revulsion and attraction will remain, which is the root and branch of samsara.

Desire springs from usage, and aversion from abstention, but the wise man is free from the pairs of opposites like a child, and becomes established.

The passionate man wants to eliminate samsara so as to avoid pain, but the dispassionate man is free from pain and feels no distress even in it.

He who is proud about even liberation or his own body, and feels them his own, is neither a seer nor a yogi. He is still just a sufferer.

If even Shiva, Vishnu, or the lotus-born Brahma were your instructor, until you have forgotten everything you cannot be established within.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:21:33 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: November 09, 2016, 02:59:51 AM »

Seeking the Source

A voice out of this world
calls on our souls,
not to wait any more.
Get ready to move
to the original home.

Your real home,
your real birth place
is up here with the heavens.
Let your soul take a flight
like a happy phoenix.

You've been tied up,
your feet in the mud,
your body roped to a log.
Break loose your ties,
get ready for the final flight.

Make your last journey
from this strange world.
Soar for the heights
where there is no more
separation of you and your home.

God has created
your wings not to be dormant.
As long as you are alive
you must try more and more
to use your wings to show you're alive.

These wings of yours
are filled with quests and hopes.
If they are not used
they will wither away,
they will soon decay.

You may not like
what I'm going to tell you:
You are stuck.
Now you must seek
nothing but the source.

Mevlana Jelaluddin Rumi

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: November 09, 2016, 03:09:19 AM »

Himself inscrutable to anyone,
Himself by Himself filling everywhere,
Himself as the Spaces Vast
That imagination defieth,
As the Ambrosia that cloyeth not,
As the Radiant Lamp Effulgent -
Thus were Thou within,
Unknown to me.
My Lord! Will Thou not in future at least
Think of granting me
The state of Grace to attain Thee?

Hymns of Thayumanavar
The Unique He
1/10

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: November 10, 2016, 05:43:19 PM »
Life Is A Lovesong

Man has been conditioned down the centuries for goals, destinations, purposes, meanings -- that's how man has lived hitherto, with the goal-oriented ideology. Hindu, Christian, Mohammedan, communist, it doesn't matter -- all ideologies are goal-oriented. It is always tomorrow that you have to look to, or the next life. It is always somewhere else: the goal, the meaning, the bliss, the paradise -- it is never now here.

Because of these ideologies you cannot allow yourself to relax in the moment. They go on goading you...you have to attain something, you have to achieve something. Your whole education system is a strategy of poisoning your consciousness; it is a strategy of driving you crazy after goals, it is a strategy of creating ambition in you. And ambition is neurosis. But this has been done for so long that it has become part and parcel of the human mind.

That's why you go on thinking in terms of goal or destination. It is not you: it is the society that goes on thinking in you, through you; it is your parents, it is your priests, it is your politicians, it is your pedagogues, who go on thinking through you, and you are identified with them. You don't know that you are separate.

The first thing that you will have to learn is to be a witness to all that goes on in the mind, because the mind is a social phenomenon -- it is not a God-given gift. It is social exploitation; it is society that makes a mind in you, and through that mind controls you, keeps you imprisoned, chained, reduces you to a slave. And you are not the mind! You are the witness who can see the mind very easily. You can see the thoughts moving in your consciousness -- those thoughts are the content of the consciousness but they are not consciousness itself.

And this is what meditation is all about: creating a distance between you and your mind.

Once the distance is there, you will be surprised that the whole mind structure is your imprisonment -- you are free from it because you are separate from it. Once you start enjoying the freedom from the mind all goals will disappear, all destinations will disappear.

Mind can only live in goals, because mind can only exist in the future. Mind cannot exist herenow -- try to be herenow and try for the mind to continue. You will find it impossible. Either the mind continues, then you are not herenow; or, you are herenow and the mind is no more there. Mind has no present tense at all; either it is past or it is future -- it is always in the non-existential. And God is that which exists. God is not a goal, nirvana is not a goal, enlightenment is not a goal, it is not an achievement -- just the contrary. When you have forgotten all goals, when you have dropped the whole achieving mind, enlightenment is -- enlightenment is a state of no-mind.

And enlightenment is nothing special. It is the most ordinary, natural phenomenon. It looks special because you make a goal out of it. Buddha is the most ordinary human being -- ordinary in the sense that he has no mind, he exists in the sheer present. He has no ego, how can he be special? He cannot compare himself with anybody else, he cannot be inferior or superior.

In the present moment, he is not -- but a totally different kind of presence happens, which does not belong to the person; it is only a presence, not a person at all. And how can he be special? -- Because in the present moment he finds that there is no purpose in life. The whole purpose is mind-imposed.

The trees are there for no purpose at all, and the stars are there for no purpose at all. Purpose is a man-created concept. Rivers are not flowing for any purpose, and the oceans are there not for any purpose. Except for man there is nothing like purpose anywhere else. Life simply is. Existence utterly is -- it is not a means to some end; it is an end unto itself.

That's what I mean when I say there is no purpose.

I am not saying that it is purposeless, because to use the word "purposeless" brings the purpose in. It is simply transcendental -- neither purpose nor no purpose, neither meaning nor no meaning. It is not going anywhere. There is no goal to life, and if you have a goal then you are going against life, and you will suffer -- because you will be trying to go upstream. You will have to struggle, and all struggle is dissipation of energy, and all struggle is stupid, because all struggle is destructive. It simply destroys you. You cannot win against the whole. Relax...there is no goal to be achieved. Simply, there is no goal!

I am not telling you, "Don't try to achieve goals" -- I am telling you there is no goal whether you try or not. If you try you will be simply wasting your time and energy. If you don't try you will start feeling ecstatic, because the whole energy that is wasted in struggle becomes available to you. And energy is delight. Just to have it is enough to be full of joy. When there is energy, overflowing energy, you are a dance, you are a celebration.

There is no meaning in life. Life is utterly beyond meaning. So don't bother about the meaning. Don't ask the question: "What is the meaning of a roseflower?" -- There is none. "And what is the meaning of the sunrise?" -- There is none. There is beauty, but no meaning. There is immense beauty, but no meaning at all.

Life is not a logical process. It is poetry, it is a lovesong -- without any meaning, yet it is utterly beautiful. In fact, when something has a meaning, it can't be beautiful -- it is utilitarian. The rose is beautiful because it has no utility at all. Its sheer being is enough; it need not have any other significance. But a hundred-rupee note has no beauty; it has utility, it has meaning, it has purpose, it is a means to some end.

Live a life which has no idea of purpose, which has no search for meaning.

Live a life of sheer joy and ecstasy -- that is the only way to live. Every other way is only to commit a slow suicide.

That's what happens when you are too much interested in goals: today goes by without being lived, and tomorrow remains important -- and tomorrow never comes. Whenever it comes it is today. And you learn a wrong habit of losing that which is and of thinking of something which is not. Every day it will happen: each tomorrow will come as today, and you will not be interested in it and you will be interested in the tomorrow, and the tomorrow is never going to come.

This is how people are simply wasting away. Their lives could have become great oases, but they remain deserts. And the basic reason for people's dryness is goal-orientation.

You say, "I keep thinking of my life in terms of a goal or destination, waiting to wake up some day and find myself enlightened."

Why "some day?" Why not now? Why postpone it? Is it not a trick of the mind to avoid it? Postponing is a way of avoiding. Don't you want to be enlightened right now? If you look deep down, if you watch, you will see the point -- you don't want to become enlightened right now.

If I say to you I can make you enlightened right now...you will say, "Just give me a little time to think. I will come tomorrow, because I have to do many more things before I become enlightened. My girl may be waiting, my children, my shop has to be opened.... So many investments -- let me finish things first! Yes, I want to be enlightened, but not right now."

In fact you don't want to become enlightened. It is a very diplomatic way of avoiding, so that you can go on deceiving yourself that you are interested in becoming enlightened, that you want to be enlightened, but not today. It is only a question of time. Not that you are not interested in enlightenment...tomorrow, when all other things have been finished, completed, when nothing else is left.

Osho

cont...

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: November 10, 2016, 05:54:42 PM »

cont...
But do you think a day will come when all your investments and all your worries and all your acts are complete?

Will there ever come a day when you are finished with the activities of your so-called life, and you can come and say, "Right now I am ready"? It will never come, because life is such a complexity. It never begins, it never ends. You are always in the middle.

It is like reading a novel from the middle. The beginning part is missing and the end part is missing -- you know only the middle. That is the mystery of life! Try some time reading a novel from the middle and you will find that even an ordinary novel becomes very mysterious. Intrigued you will be, and many times you will be tempted to look back, "What is the beginning?" But resist the temptation, go on reading in the middle.

That's how it is: we are always in the middle of life. Life has been there before you ever entered into the stream, and life will be there when you are gone. You will know only a few glimpses in the middle. You come suddenly into the film-house, you see a few scenes on the screen; the film was going on before you entered, you will be gone and the film will continue. You will never know the beginning and you will never know the end because there are none. There is no beginning, no end. Life is an eternal continuum. Hence you cannot ever complete things, but you want to avoid.

You are afraid of enlightenment, just as everybody else is afraid. But nobody wants to accept that "I am a coward." Nobody wants to accept the fact that "I would like to sleep a little longer because I am seeing beautiful dreams, colorful dreams." Nobody wants to accept that "I am so stupid that I don't long for enlightenment." So everybody goes on saying, "Yes, I would like to become enlightened -- but tomorrow, the day after tomorrow, in my old age."

How to postpone? The best way is to become goal-oriented. That is the most beautiful deception that you can give to yourself Hence you say, "Some day I hope to find myself enlightened." Why "some day?" The river is flowing now...you can drink.

You are thirsty and you say, "Some day I will drink." If you are thirsty, drink right now. Nothing else is more important. And because there is no goal, all goals are private dreams, life will not support you in your goal-orientation.

Life will try in every way to destroy all your goals.

You will have to learn ways of relaxing in the present. Enlightenment is not an effort to achieve something. It is a state of effortlessness. It is a state of no-action. It is a state of tremendous passivity, receptivity. You are not doing anything, you are not thinking anything, you are not planning for anything, you are not doing yoga exercises, and you are not doing any technique, any method -- you are simply existing, just existing. And in that very moment...the sudden realization that all is as it should be. That's what enlightenment is!

Enlightenment is not an experience in which you will see great light and kundalini rising up and God standing in front of you telling you, "You can ask any three wishes and I will fulfill them." Don't be foolish.

Enlightenment is not an experience at all. It is not that you will be able to walk on water, that you will be able to raise the dead back to life, that you will be able to cure the blind and the deaf and the dumb, that you will be able to do miracles. Enlightenment has nothing to do with any such thing.

Enlightenment is a simple realization that everything is as it should be.

That is the definition of enlightenment: everything is as it should be, everything is utterly perfect as it is. That feeling...and you are suddenly at home. Nothing is being missed. You are part, an organic part of this tremendous, beautiful whole. You are relaxed in it, surrendered in it. You don't exist separately -- all separation has disappeared.

A great rejoicing happens, because with the ego disappearing there is no worry left, with the ego disappearing there is no anguish left, with the ego disappearing there is no possibility of death any more. This is what enlightenment is. It is the understanding that all is good, that all is beautiful -- and t is beautiful as it is. Everything is in tremendous harmony, in accord.

The stars are in accord with the grass leaves, the earth is in accord with the sky, the rivers are in accord with the mountains. Everything is in such accord that existence is an orchestra. Everything is rhythmic, in tune. Existence is music. That experience is enlightenment. And you are not separate from it like an observer, like a spectator. The observer and the observed are one, the seer and the seen are one -- you are it!

It is a great participation. You have fallen into the whole and the whole has fallen into you. The drop has dropped into the ocean and the ocean has dropped into the drop. It is impossible to say anything more about it. It is impossible to say, in fact, anything about it. It can only be experienced.

But, please, don't go on postponing it, because it is available now. Now or never, remember.

Osho