Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176367 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2012, 01:48:01 AM »
The Nisargadatta Song of Beyond I Am:
Selections from "I Am That"

...you are not this, there is nothing of yours in this, except the little point of 'I am' ... . 'I am this, I am that' is dream, while pure 'I am' has the stamp of reality on it. You have tasted so many things -- all came to naught. Only the sense 'I am' persisted -- unchanged. Stay with the changeless among the changeful, until you are able to go beyond.

When the 'I am myself' goes, the 'I am all' comes. When the 'I am all' goes, 'I am' comes. When even 'I am' goes, reality alone is...

By knowing what you are not, you come to know your Self. The way back to your Self is through refusal and rejection. One thing is certain: the real is not imaginary, it is not a product of the mind. Even the sense 'I am' is not continuous, though it is a useful pointer; it shows where to seek, but not what to seek. Just have a good look at it. Once you are convinced that you cannot truthfully say anything except 'I am', and that nothing that can be pointed at, can be your Self, the need for the 'I am' is over -- you are no longer intent on verbalizing what you are. All you need is to get rid of the tendency to define yourself. All definitions apply to your body only and to its expressions. Once this obsession with the body goes, you will revert to your natural state, spontaneously and effortlessly. ... . We discover it by being earnest, by searching, enquiring, questioning daily and hourly, by giving one's life to this discovery.

That in which consciousness happens, the universal consciousness or mind, we call the ether of consciousness. All the objects of consciousness form the universe. What is beyond both, supporting both, is the supreme state, a state of utter stillness and silence. Whoever goes there, disappears. It is unreachable by words, or mind. You may call it God, or Parabrahman, or Supreme Reality, but these are names given by the mind. It is the nameless, contentless, effortless and spontaneous state, beyond being and non-being.

Perfection is a state of the mind, when it is pure. I am beyond the mind, whatever its state, pure or impure. Awareness is my nature; ultimately I am beyond being and non-being.

The idea -- 'I am the witness only' will purify the body and the mind and open the eye of wisdom. Then man goes beyond illusion and his heart is free of all desires. Just like ice turns to water, and water to vapour, and vapour dissolves in air and disappears in space, so does the body dissolve into pure awareness (chidakash), then into pure being (paramakash), which is beyond all existence and non-existence.

One thing is quite clear to me: all that is, lives and moves and has its being in consciousness; and I am in and beyond that consciousness. I am in it as the witness. I am beyond it as Being.

To be a living being is not the ultimate state; there is something beyond, much more wonderful, which is neither being nor non-being, neither living nor non-living. It is a state of pure awareness, beyond the limitations of space and time. Once the illusion that the body-mind is oneself is abandoned, death loses its terror, it becomes a part of living.

The witness only registers events. In the abeyance of the mind even the sense 'I am' dissolves. There is no 'I am' without the mind.

You live, you feel, you think. By giving attention to your living, feeling and thinking, you free yourself from them and go beyond them. Your personality dissolves and only the witness remains. Then you go beyond the witness. Do not ask how it happens. Just search within yourself.

All I can say truly is: 'I am', all else is inference. But the inference has become a habit. Destroy all habits of thinking and seeing. The sense 'I am' is the manifestation of a deeper cause, which you may call Self, God, Reality or by any other name. The 'I am' is in the world; but it is the key which can open the door out of the world. The moon dancing on the water is seen in the water, but it is caused by the moon in the sky and not by the water.

As long as we imagine ourselves to be separate personalities, one quite apart from another, we cannot grasp reality which is essentially impersonal. First we must know ourselves as witnesses only, dimensionless and timeless centres of observation, and then realize that immense ocean of pure awareness, which is both mind and matter and beyond both.

Have you felt the all-embracing emptiness in which the universe swims like a cloud in the blue sky?

This 'I am' is an announcement: it is not the real. It has come out of something else. What the real is, I am not telling you, because words negate that. Whatever I am telling you is not the truth, because it has come out of that 'I am'. The fact is, I cannot describe reality to you, I cannot explain it, because it is beyond expression.

When you pursue the spiritual path, the path of self-knowing, all your desires, all your attachments, will just drop away, provided you investigate and hold on to that with which you are trying to understand the self. Then what happens? Your 'I-am-ness' is the state 'to be'. You are 'to be' and attached to that state. You love to be. Now, as I said, ... your desires drop off. And what is the primary desire? To be. When you stay put in that beingness for some time, that desire also will drop off. This is very important. When this is dropped off, you are in the Absolute -- a most essential state.

When you are in consciousness, you understand the nature of consciousness and you recede. Your progress continues. This consciousness is slowly extinguishing itself; knowingly it is disappearing. But nothing affects You, because that is the Absolute. Just like when the flame is gone, the smoke is gone, the sky remains.

Take one sentence of what has been said here, and stay with it. That is enough; that will lead you to your source.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2012, 01:50:48 AM »
continued
Spiritual maturity is being ready to let go everything. Giving up is a first step, but real giving-up is the insight that there's nothing to be given up, since nothing is your property.

When you know thoughts and their wonderful powers, and liberate them from what has poisoned them - the idea of an own, separate person -, you just let them alone, such that they can perform their appropriate work. Letting the thoughts do their own work at their own place is freedom.

When you don't require anything from the world and nothing from God, when you don't desire anything, when you don't strive for anything, don't expect anything, the divine will enter you, unasked and unex-pected.

The wish for truth is the best of all wishes, but it's still a wish. All wishes must be given up, that the truth can enter your life.

When you encounter sorrow and suffering, remain with it and don't try to escape from it. Don't throw yourself into blind activity. Neither learning nor acting can really help. Be with the presence of sorrow and uncover their roots - help with insight is real help.

Understanding confusion means becoming free of it.

The world and the thinking are states of being. The divine is not a state, it penetrates all states, but is no state of anything else.

Nothing extraordinary can happen to a consciousness knowing exactly what it wants.

Delayed reaction is wrong reaction. Thinking, feeling and action must be a unity and happen together with the situation requiring them.

What is the worth of a hapiness for which you must strive and work? Real happiness is spontaneous and effortless.

In my view, everything happens by itself, quite spontaneously. But humans think they would work for a win, towards a purpose.

There's nothing from which the world could profit more than from giving up profit. A man who's no longer thinking in terms of winning and loosing is truly non-violent man, since he's above all conflicts.

It's the nature of thinking to differentiate things and specialize itself. There's no harm to that, but it isn't true when one thinks of oneself as separate from things. Things and humans are different, but not separate. Nature is one, reality is one. There are opposites, but no contradictions.

You will receive everything you need when you stop asking for what you do not need.

There's no state in which one is seeing reality. WHO is seeing WHAT? You can only BE real. (And that you are always.) The problem exists only in thinking. Let all false ideas go, that's all. There's no need for true ideas. (Since there are none.)

Suffering is exclusively the result of attachment or resistance, it is a sign of lacking readiness to go on, to flow with life.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2012, 01:50:57 AM »
Dear friends,

Yesterday i put The Song of Beyond I am,and i didnt put the first part. I am sorry for mistake,and here is the first part,The Song of I am.

Quotes specifically referring to 'I am' were excerpted and grouped into four parts, the first two being introductory and the last two relating to ways of knowing 'I am' and to the nature of 'I am'. A fifth part was later added; it includes portions of text that were originally left out.
Part One

Go deep into the sense of 'I am' and you will find.

...focus your mind on 'I am', which is pure and simple being.

Take the first step first. All blessings come from within. Turn within. 'I am' you know. Be with it all the time you can spare, until you revert to it spontaneously. There is no simpler and easier way.

Before all beginnings, after all ending -- I am. All has its being in me, in the 'I am', that shines in every living being.

On a deeper level my experience is your experience. Dive deep within yourself and you will find it easily and simply. Go in the direction of 'I am'.

Part Two

When I met my Guru, he told me: "You are not what you take yourself to be. Find out what you are. Watch the sense 'I am', find your real Self." I obeyed him, because I trusted him. I did as he told me. All my spare time I would spend looking at myself in silence. And what a difference it made, and how soon!

My teacher told me to hold on to the sense 'I am' tenaciously and not to swerve from it even for a moment. I did my best to follow his advice and in a comparatively short time I realized within myself the truth of his teaching. All I did was to remember his teaching, his face, his words constantly. This brought an end to the mind; in the stillness of the mind I saw myself as I am -- unbound.

I simply followed (my teacher's) instruction which was to focus the mind on pure being 'I am', and stay in it. I used to sit for hours together, with nothing but the 'I am' in my mind and soon peace and joy and a deep all-embracing love became my normal state. In it all disappeared -- myself, my Guru, the life I lived, the world around me. Only peace remained and unfathomable silence.

My Guru ordered me to attend to the sense 'I am' and to give attention to nothing else. I just obeyed. I did not follow any particular course of breathing, or meditation, or study of scriptures. Whatever happened, I would turn away my attention from it and remain with the sense 'I am', it may look too simple, even crude. My only reason for doing it was that my Guru told me so. Yet it worked! Obedience is a powerful solvent of all desires and fears.

There is no sense of purpose in my doing anything. Things happen as they happen -- not because I make them happen, but it is because I am that they happen. In reality nothing ever happens. When the mind is restless, it makes Shiva dance, like the restless waters of the lake make the moon dance. It is all appearance, due to wrong ideas.

...in whatever role I may appear and whatever function I may perform -- I remain what I am: the 'I am' immovable, unshakable, independent.

When I say 'I am', I do not mean a separate entity with a body as its nucleus. I mean the totality of being, the ocean of consciousness, the entire universe of all that is and knows. I have nothing to desire for I am complete forever.

Words betray their hollowness. The real cannot be described, it must be experienced. I cannot find better words for what I know. What I say may sound ridiculous. But what the words try to convey is the highest truth. All is one, however much we quibble. And all is done to please the one source and goal of every desire, whom we all know as the 'I am'.

Just like the sun is reflected in a billion dew drops, so is the timeless endlessly repeated. When I repeat: 'I am, I am', I merely assert and re-assert an ever-present fact. You get tired of my words because you do not see the living truth behind them. Contact it and you will find the full meaning of words and of silence -- both.

...I trusted my Guru. What he told me to do, I did. He told me to concentrate on 'I am' -- I did. He told me that I am beyond all perceivables and conceivables -- I believed. ... You may choose any way that suits you; your earnestness will determine the rate of progress.

To be continued...

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2012, 04:57:07 AM »
Part Three

First of all, establish a constant contact with your self, be with yourself all the time. Into self-awareness all blessings flow. Begin as a centre of observation, deliberate cognizance, and grow into a centre of love in action. 'I am' is a tiny seed which will grow into a mighty tree -- quite naturally, without a trace of effort.

Establish yourself firmly in the awareness of 'I am'. This is the beginning and also the end of all endeavour.

Hold onto the sense of 'I am' to the exclusion of everything else. When thus the mind becomes completely silent, it shines with a new light and vibrates with new knowledge. It all comes spontaneously, you need only hold on to the 'I am'.

Refuse all thoughts except one: the thought 'I am'. The mind will rebel in the beginning, but with patience and perseverance it will yield and keep quiet. Once you are quiet, things will begin to happen spontaneously and quite naturally, without any interference on your part.

Just keep in mind the feeling 'I am', merge in it, till your mind and feeling become one. By repeated attempts you will stumble on the right balance of attention and affection and your mind will be firmly established in the thought-feeling 'I am'. Whatever you think, say, or do, this sense of immutable and affectionate being remains as the ever-present background of the mind.

To know what you are you must first investigate and know what you are not. And to know what you are not you must watch yourself carefully, rejecting all that does not necessarily go with the basic fact: 'I am'. ... Separate consistently and perseveringly the 'I am' from 'this' or 'that', and try to feel what it means to be, just to be, without being 'this' or 'that'.

Give up all questions except one: 'Who am I'? After all, the only fact you are sure of is that you are. The 'I am' is certain. The 'I am this' is not. Struggle to find out what you are in reality.

Cling to one thing, that matters, hold on to 'I am' and let go all else. This is sadhana. In realization there is nothing to hold on to and nothing to forget. Everything is known, nothing is remembered.

...just remember yourself. 'I am', is enough to heal your mind and take you beyond. Just have some trust.

Stop searching, and see -- it is here and now -- it is that 'I am' you know so well.

You cannot meaningfully say 'this is what I am'. It just makes no sense.

'I am' is first-hand and needs no proofs. Stay with it.

Be content with what you are sure of. And the only thing you can be sure of is 'I am'. Stay with it, and reject everything else. This is Yoga.

Go back to that state of pure being, where the 'I am' is still in its purity before it got contaminated with 'this I am' or 'that I am'. Your burden is of false self-identifications -- abandon them all.

Don't you see that it is your very search for happiness that makes you miserable? Try the other way: indifferent to pain and pleasure, neither asking nor refusing, give all your attention to the level on which 'I am' is timelessly present. Soon you will realize that peace and happiness are in your very nature and it is only seeking them through some particular channels, that disturbs.

Give your heart and mind to brooding over the 'I am', what is it, how is it, what is its source, its life, its meaning. It is very much like digging a well. You reject all that is not water, till you reach the life-giving spring.

The 'I am' that pursues the pleasant and shuns the unpleasant is false; the 'I am' that sees pleasure and pain as inseparable sees rightly.

Those who practise the sadhana of focussing their minds on 'I am' may feel related to others who have followed the same sadhana and succeeded.

You need not worry about your worries. Just be. Do not try to be quiet; do not make 'being quiet' into a task to be performed. Don't be restless about 'being quiet', miserable about 'being happy'. Just be aware that you are and remain aware -- don't say: 'yes, I am; what next?' There is not 'next' in 'I am'. It is a timeless state.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:27 AM »
Jewell,
"don't say: 'yes, I am; what next?' There is not 'next' in 'I am'. It is a timeless state"

Yes,Maharaj is pointing to this state of Being.There is no how or why about this!He is saying 'It is' and Timeless.Wonderful.Thanks very much.

Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2012, 04:20:45 PM »
Jewell,
"don't say: 'yes, I am; what next?' There is not 'next' in 'I am'. It is a timeless state"

Yes,Maharaj is pointing to this state of Being.There is no how or why about this!He is saying 'It is' and Timeless.Wonderful.Thanks very much.

Namaskar.

Dear Sri Ravi,

Yes,like You said He is pointing to this state of being,where no question cannot arise,it is beyond thoughts,beyond time and space,Timeless,Ever Present,Now. There is no knowledge about That,only Being. Where is 'next' in Timeless?! :)

Thank You dear Sri Ravi!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
Part Four

On waking up, was it not the sense 'I am' that came first?

The sense 'I am' is always with you, only you have attached all kinds of things to it -- body, feelings, thoughts, ideas, possessions, etc. All these self-identifications are misleading. Because of them you take yourself to be what you are not.

What is mine is mine and was mine even when God was not. Of course, it is a very tiny little thing, a speck -- the sense 'I am', the fact of being.

The light by which you see the world, which is God, is the tiny little spark: 'I am', apparently so small, yet the first and the last in every act of knowing and loving.

Without the 'I am' there is nothing. All knowledge is about the 'I am'.

Outside the Self there is nothing. All is one and all is contained in 'I am'.

Give it all up and be ready for the real to assert itself. This self-assertion is best expressed in words: 'I am'. Nothing else has being. Of this you are absolutely certain.

Instead of seeing things as imagined, learn to see them as they are. When you can see everything as it is, you will also see yourself as you are. It is like cleansing a mirror. The same mirror that shows you the world as it is, will also show you your own face. The thought 'I am' is the polishing cloth.

'I am' is ever afresh. You do not need to remember in order to be.  ... At present your being is mixed up with experiencing. All you need is to unravel being from the tangle of experiences. Once you have known pure being, without being this or that, you will discern it among experiences and you will no longer be misled by names and forms.

...the 'I am' in movement creates the world. The 'I am' at peace becomes the Absolute.

In the immensity of consciousness a light appears, a tiny point that moves rapidly and traces shapes, thoughts and feelings, concepts and ideas, like the pen writing on paper. And the ink that leaves a trace is memory. You are that tiny point and by your movement the world is ever re-created. Stop moving and there will be no world. Look within and you will find that the point of light is the reflection of the immensity of light in the body, as the sense 'I am'. There is only light, all else appears.

The 'I am' is at the root of all appearance and the permanent link in the succession of events that we call life... .

Human beings die every second, the fear and the agony of dying hangs over the world like a cloud. No wonder you too are afraid. But once you know that the body alone dies and not the continuity of memory and the sense of 'I am' reflected in it, you are afraid no longer.

People differ, but all are faced with the fact of their own existence. 'I am' is the ultimate fact; 'Who am I?' is the ultimate question to which everybody must find an answer.

Delve deeply into the sense 'I am' and you will surely discover that the perceiving centre is universal, as universal as the light that illumines the world. All that happens in the universe happens to you, the silent witness. On the other hand, whatever is done, is done by you, the universal and inexhaustible energy.

Before the mind -- I am. 'I am' is not a thought in the mind; the mind happens to me, I do not happen to the mind. And since time and space are in the mind, I am beyond time and space, eternal and omnipresent.

...you are not this, there is nothing of yours in this, except the little point of 'I am' ... . 'I am this, I am that' is dream, while pure 'I am' has the stamp of reality on it. You have tasted so many things -- all came to naught. Only the sense 'I am' persisted -- unchanged. Stay with the changeless among the changeful, until you are able to go beyond.

When the 'I am myself' goes, the 'I am all' comes. When the 'I am all' goes, 'I am' comes. When even 'I am' goes, reality alone is...

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2012, 04:39:42 AM »
Part 5.

I alone am, the One, the Supreme.

Not only the multiplicity of selves is false:
even the duality I / World, Subject / Object, Spirit / Matter
is a transient appearance in my Consciousness.

There can be no universe without the witness,
there can be no witness without the universe.

Look closely and you will see
that the seer and the seen appear only when there is seeing.
They are attributes of seeing.

When you say "I am seeing this",
"I am" and "this" come with the seeing, nor before.
You cannot have an unseen "this" nor anunseeing "I am".

Knowing is a reflection of your true nature
along with being and loving.
The knower and the known are added by the mind.
It is in the nature of the mind to create a subject-object duality,
where there is none.

All thinking is in duality.
In identity, no thought survives.

The painter is in the picture.
You separate the painter from the picture and look for him.
Don't separate and don't put false questions.

In reality there is only perception.
The perceiver and the perceived are conceptual,
the fact of perceiving is actual.
The Absolute is the birthplace of perceiving.
It makes perception possible.

Even the experiencer is secondary.
Primary is the infinite expanse of consciousness,
the eternal possibility,
the immeasurable potential of all that was, is and will be.

The moment you say "I am",
the entire universe comes into being
along with its creator.

There is no "I" apart from the body, nor the world.
The three appear and disappear together.
At the root is the sense "I am".
Go beyond it.
The idea "I am not the body" is merely an antidote
to the idea "I am the body" which is false.
What is that "I am"?
Unless you know yourself,
what else can you know?

What you see is nothing but your self.
Call it what you like, it does not change the fact.
Through the film of destiny,
your own light depicts pictures on the screen.
You are the viewer, the light, the picture and the screen.
Even the film of destiny (prarabdha)
is self-selected and self-imposed.
 to be continued

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2012, 12:33:15 AM »
It is like light and daylight.
The universe is full of light which you do not see;
but the same light you see as daylight.
And what the daylight reveals is the vyakti.
The person is always the object,
the witness is the subject,
and their relation of mutual dependence
is the reflection of their absolute identity.
You imagine that they are distinct and separate states. They are not.
They are the same consciousness at rest and in movement,
each state conscious of the other.
In chit, man knows God and God knows man.
In chit, the man shapes the world and the world shapes man.
Chit is the link, the bridge between extremes,
the balancing and uniting factor in every experience.
The totality of the perceived is what you call matter.
The totality of all perceivers is what you call the universal mind.
The identity of the two,
manifesting itself as perceptibility and perceiving,
harmony and intelligence, loveliness and loving,
reasserts itself eternally.

I have realized once and for good
that I am neither object nor subject.

There is only seeing;
both the seer and the seen
are contained in it.
Don't create differences
where there are none.

There is only my-Self, Consciousness.

Who is there to be conscious of unconsciousness?
As long as the window is open, there is sunlight in the room.
With the windows shut, the sun remains,
but does it see the darkness in the room?
Is there anything like darkness to the sun?
There is no such thing as unconsciousness,
for unconsciousness is not experienceable.

In reality there is only consciousness.
All life is conscious, all consciousness is alive
Even the stones are conscious and alive.

[My guru] told me:
"You alone are, deny existence to everything except your self"
and I did not doubt him.
I was merely puzzling over it,
until I realized that it is absolutely true.
I found that I am conscious and happy absolutely,
and only by mistake I thought
I owed being-consciousness to the body
and the world of bodies.

Nothing exists by itself. All is the Self, all is myself.

All is you and yours. There is nobody else. This is a fact.

You, the self, being the root of all being, consciousness and joy,
impart your reality to whatever you perceive.
This imparting of reality takes place invariably in the now,
at no other time,
because past and future are only in the mind.
"Being" applies to the now only.

Outside the Self there is nothing.
All is one and all is contained in "I am".
In the waking and dream states it is the person.
In deep sleep and turiya [samadhi] it is the Self.

Beyond the alert intentness of turiya
lies the great, silent peace of the Supreme.

But in fact all is one in essence
and related in appearance.
In ignorance the seer becomes the seen,
and in wisdom he is the seeing.

One and all are the same to me.
The same consciousness (chit) appears
as being (sat)
and as bliss (ananda):
Chit in movement is Bliss;
Chit motionless is Being.

I am not even Consciousness,
which is dual and perceivable:
I am the unkown Reality beyond.

Neither your body nor you mind,
nor even your consciousness is yourself.

The "I am" is at the root of all appearance
and the permanent link in the succession
of events that we call life;
but I am beyond the "I am".

Before the mind, I am.
"I am" is not a thought in the mind;
the mind happens to me,
I do not happen to the mind.
And since time and space are in the mind,
I am beyond time and space,
eternal and omnipresent.

to be continued...

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes, I am is the root of all. It is the substratum of all thoughts. If one could remain only as I AM for ever, without giving room
for thoughts, this I am ness is the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2012, 12:21:12 AM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes, I am is the root of all. It is the substratum of all thoughts. If one could remain only as I AM for ever, without giving room
for thoughts, this I am ness is the Self.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sir Subramanian sir,

Yes,i agree with You! That is all what is needed.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2012, 12:27:42 AM »
so true.
when one remains as "I AM"
what takes us away from that "Being"
if that which takes us away from that "Being" can be eliminated. One would be more easily relaxed as "I AM"

This is the essential line of discussion in scriptures.

One way is to "Remain as I AM/ just Be"
another is: what takes us away from Just BE ? Eliminate that!

Both are required. The Second would make sure that when one just Remains one is well established --- more easily.

Dear Sri Tushnim.Asanam,

Absolutely true! And everything which takes us away from That,is only a thought,wrong 'idea',if any idea when this is subject can be good anyway,and everything which comes after that I Am.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2012, 02:11:08 AM »
The outer self and the inner both are imagined.
The obsession of being an "I"
needs another obsession with a "super-I" to get cured,
as one needs another thorn to remove a thorn,
or another poison to neutralize a poison.
All assertion calls for a denial,
but this is the first step only.
The next is to go beyond both.

Go beyond. Neither consciousness
nor the "I am" at the centre of it are you.
Your true being is entirely unselfconscious,
completely free from all self-identification
with whatever it may be -
gross, subtle or transcendental.

Only reality is, there is nothing else.
The three states of waking, dreaming and sleeping are not me,
and I am not in them.

As long as one is conscious, there will be pain and pleasure.
You cannot fight pain and pleasure on the level of consciousness.
To go beyond them, you must go beyond consciousness,
which is possible only when you look at consciousness
as something that happens to you, and not in you,
as something external, alien, superimposed.
Then, suddenly you are free of consciousness,
really alone,
with nothing to intrude.
And that is your true state.

Consciousness is an itching rash that makes you scratch.
Of course, you cannot step out of consciousness,
for the very stepping out is in consciousness.
But if you learn to look at your consciousness as a sort of fever,
personal and private, in which you are enclosed
like a chick in its shell,
out of this very attitude will come
the crisis which will break the shell.

He [Buddha] must have meant
that all consciousness is painful,
which is obvious.

I am conscious and unconscious,
both conscious and unconscious,
neither conscious nor unconscious -
to all this I am witness,
but really there is no witness,
because there is nothing to be a witness to.

I am perfectly empty of all mental formations,
void of mind, yet fully aware.
This I try to express
by saying that I am beyond the mind.

When you realize that all is in your mind
and that you are beyond the mind,
that you are truly alone,
then all is you.

Where there is a universe,
there will also be its counterpart,
which is God.
But I am beyond both.

Even faith in God is only a stage on the way.
Ultimately, you abandon all,
for you come to something so simple
that there are no words to express it

Consciousness and life - both you may call God;
but you are beyond both, beyond God,
beyond being and not-being.

You cannot know the knower, for you are the knower.
The fact of knowing proves the knower.
You need no other proof.
The knower of the known is not knowable.
Just like the light is known in colours only,
so is the knower known in knowledge.

to be continued...

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2012, 02:59:10 AM »
Before you can say "I am",
you must be there to say it.
Being need not be self-conscious.
You need not know to be,
but you must be to know.

You need not know what you are.
Enough to know what you are not.
What you are you will never know,
for every discovery
reveals new dimensions to conquer.
The unknown has no limits.

Do understand that you
cannot ask a valid question about yourself,
because you do not know whom you are asking about.

The known is accidental,
the unknown is the home of the real.
To live in the known is bondage,
to live in the unknown is liberation.

Discontinuity is the law
when you deal with the concrete.
The continuous cannot be experienced,
for it has no borders.
Consciousness implies alterations,
change following change,
when one thing or state comes to an end and another begins;
that which has no borderline cannot be experienced
in the common meaning of the word.
One can only be it, without knowing,
but one can know what it is not.
It is definitely not the entire content of consciousness
which is always on the move.
To realize the immovable means to become immovable.
I am talking of immovability, not of immobility.
You become immovable in righteousness.
You become a power which gets all things right.
It may or may not imply intense outward activity,
but the mind remains deep and quiet.

When you go beyond awareness,
there is a state of non-duality,

in which there is no cognition,
only pure being,
which may be as well called non-being,
if by being you mean being something in particular.

Your true home is in nothingness,
in emptiness of all content.

[I can describe your supreme, natural state] only by negation,
as uncaused, independent, unrelated, undivided, uncomposed,
unshakable, unquestionable, unreachable by effort.
Every positive definition is from memory
and, therefore, inapplicable.
And yet my state is supremely actual and, therefore,
possible, realizable, attainable.

How can I put it into words, except in negating them?
Therefore, I use words like timeless, spaceless, causeless.
These are words too,
but as they are empty of meaning,
they suit my purpose.
Because you want words where no words apply.

Though unknown and unknowable,
my real being is concrete and solid like a rock.

[The supreme state] is not perceivable,
because it is what makes perception possible.
It is beyond being and not being.
It is neither the mirror nor the image in the mirror.
It is what is - the timeless reality,
unbelievably hard and solid.

to be continued...

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »
The timeless knows the time,
the time does not know the timeless
All consciousness is in time
and to it the timeless appears as unconscious.
Yet, it is what makes consciousness possible.
Light shines in darkness.
In light darkness is not visible.
Or you can put it the other way:
in the endless ocean of light,
clouds of consciousness appear, dark and limited,
perceivable by contrast.
These are mere attempts to express in words
something very simple,
yet altogether inexpressible.

Turn your mind inside out.
Overlook the movable
and you will find yourself to be
the ever-present, changeless reality, inexpressible,
but solid like a rock.

When all distinctions and reactions are no more,
what remains is reality, simple and solid.

It is solid, steady, changeless,
beginningless and endless,
ever new, ever fresh.

This reality is so concrete, so actual,
so much more tangible than mind and matter,
that compared to it even diamond is soft like butter.
This overwhelming actuality
makes the world dreamlike, misty, irrelevant.

To me nothing ever happens.
There is something changeless, motionless, immovable,
rock-like, unassailable;
a solid mass of pure being-consciousness-bliss.
I am never our of it.
Nothing can take me out of it, no torture, no calamity.

My world is free from opposites,
of mutually destructive discrepancies;
harmony pervades; its peace is rocklike;
this peace and silence are my body.

[My condition is] absolutely steady.
Whatever I may do, it stays like a rock - motionless.
Once you have awakened into reality, you stay in it.
It is self-evident and yet beyond description.

I am the light that makes Consciousness possible,
pure Awareness, the non-dual Self, the Supreme Reality,
the Absolute, the Beingness of being, the Awareness of consciousness.

Who are you? Don't go by formulas.
The answer is not in words.
The nearest you can say in words is:
I am what makes perception possible,
the life beyond the experiencer and his experience.

My feeling is that all that happens in space and time
happens to me, that every experience is my experience,
every form is my form.

What I take myself to be becomes my body,
and all that happens to that body becomes my mind.
But at the root of the universe there is pure awareness,
beyond space and time, here and now.
Know it to be your real being and act accordingly.

At the root of my being is pure awareness,
a speck of intense light
This speck, by its very nature,
radiates and creates pictures in space
and events in time -
effortlessly and spontaneously.
As long as it is merely aware, there are no problems.