Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 583429 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #810 on: April 10, 2019, 05:40:15 AM »
Maharaj: The waking and the sleep state combined is the beingness,
 because of it, the world is. The beingness depends on the food essence, so what are we then?

Visitor: What is the path to follow?

M: Meditate on the Self, not on anything else; the beingness itself will tell you how it arose and will
disappear. Meditation on something is easy, but meditation on the Self is rather difficult. Did Buddha
say all this?

V: The very same.

M: Buddha's directives, are they followed?

V: All the codes of conduct, but not the essence. Millions have no idea beyond the codes of conduct
like, eat this or eat that.

M: Is this is knowledge or just ways to pass time? Finally, people are slaves to time; they follow the
dictates of time. I know nothing about rebirth, only this birth and having known it, I know it is not.
With the body?s association, the so called knowledge is received and accordingly, people behave. What
knowledge have you apart from the information collected from the outside?

V: That?s all what we get.

M: What is it you get?

V: Not much.

M: After the stamping of birth is done, what knowledge do you have then? You are told about birth,
what other information?

V: None

M: This knowledge ('I am') is for each man to understand and be still in it. By understanding the Self
you understand the world, what else is there? You are as large as the world, if you are; the world is,
otherwise not. With what, identity of yourself did you read books? Were you reading it as a woman?
Knowledge is neither male nor female.

V: No, not female or male.

M: What about the reader?

V: Me?

M: While reading, you know yourself as a woman?

V: No

M: After reading?

V: Female

M: God or heaven is momentary; nothing after that and for me it is nothing at all. All these Gods,
where are they? What is their promise? How do they exist? In which state are they? Presently I am in
that state where beingness has been forcibly imposed, the longer it stays, longer is the suffering, but it
is going to disappear. Sustenance is for moment, understand the moment, the moment since when?
How long and due to what? All the paraphernalia of this world is its expression. The one, who realizes
this, grows knowledgeable in the process of gathering this information. Thus you came to the root of
knowledge; you realize it and transcend it, stabilize yourself prior to intelligence.

V: The knowledge expounded here is valuable, but people are not mature enough to understand it, in
due course they may. Many do penances and have a deep urge, yet knowledge is not available to them

M: Do you think you understand?

V: Memories, words?

M: There are two types of sounds, the one that you hear and the primordial, unstuck, soundless sound.
The moment you feel when you wake up, that is the unstuck sound. Later, you know that you are and
all other sounds follow. The'?You are' or 'I am' all sounds are based on it, it is a language without
words; unstuck, soundless. It is nothing.

V: Is there a parallel state between the waking and sleep states on one hand and the consciousness on
the other, which is so called born?

M: Yes, there is a very subtle state, presently it is rather gross, but in childhood it is a very fine subtle
state. The 'I am' is employed like an instrument, like vision for the eye, whenever there is vision, there
is the world; the actual observer has no color, no design. The trap of birth and death is because of the 'I am',
 dwell on it, realize it and transcend it, that one has knowledge. All experience is time-bound, what
would you call that which witnesses the disappearance of thought? Think if you like; but the thought
process will disappear. You may gather a lot of knowledge but you are still trapped in body consciousness.

V: Knowledge gathering is a trap.

M: Just like the web of a spider the birth concept is a source of suffering. As long as you hold on to that
idea, you will not be liberated. When liberated you are Nirguna (without qualities), the ever liberated.
Nirvana means no sample, the Saguna (with qualities) Brahman attains Nirvana. Beingness is the
quality to be, Nirguna mean no quality and Nirvana too means no quality.

from I Am Unborn

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 06, 2019, 09:41:06 PM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 08, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 13, 2019, 10:54:01 PM »
Sri Nisargadatta maharaj on meditation :-

I simply followed my teacher's instruction which was to focus the mind on pure being 'I am', and stay in it. I used to sit for hours together, with nothing but the 'I am' in my mind and soon peace and joy and a deep all-embracing love became my normal state. In it all disappeared -- myself, my Guru, the life I lived, the world around me. Only peace remained and unfathomable silence.

My Guru ordered me to attend to the sense 'I am' and to give attention to nothing else. I just obeyed. I did not follow any particular course of breathing, or meditation, or study of scriptures. Whatever happened, I would turn away my attention from it and remain with the sense 'I am', it may look too simple, even crude. My only reason for doing it was that my Guru told me so. Yet it worked! Obedience is a powerful solvent of all desires and fears.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 15, 2019, 11:19:12 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 16, 2019, 04:48:15 PM »
?For now I will be talking about that power which looks like an individual but because of whose presence the whole world is carrying on its business
I am talking about this power which is in the body, but which is the root of the existence and maintenance of the entire universe. What there is in my body, is in everyone else?s body also. But everyone else is concerned more about this ?corpse? that he is living with rather than that which lies within that corpse.? ?I am referring to the vital force, Prana. Make friends with the Prana and the Prana will help you to know God. The mind is only a witness: your real friend is the Prana, because it does everything. Waking, sleeping, digesting food, all these activities are done by the vital force. Atman is only a witness; so give importance to this vital force and worship it, and you will be able to know God. In order to do any meditation, you should make friendship with the vital force [which allows any meditation at all to happen]; it is readily available without any effort. Because of the Prana, there is mind. And because of the mind, there are the [scriptures], That is why I give full homage to the vital force. Without it, what would be your value? Your body would collapse . You can know about God and world only when the vital force is there. Who knows the greatness of this Prana? That itself is God, Pranesvar [Lord ] ?For all the species, including human beings, this vital force itself is godly. And this vital force also contains that Isvara or consciousness principle. Now you should find out: How are you going to focus your attention [intuitively, subjectively] on that vital breath and meditate on the Self? That is for you to discover.? ?Do understand that this life force is God, and God is the life force, and be one with it?. This life force is the acting principle; and that which gives sentience to the person is the consciousness.? ??I am? is Great God, the Isvara principle. And that Prana, vital force, is Great Power or Great Energy, the kinetic principle without which there cannot be consciousness.? ?The life force and the consciousness are not really two; as a concept they are treated as such, but they are really one. ?Consciousness and life force are two components, inextricably woven together, of one principle. But consciousness is only the witnessing principle or the static aspect, the dynamic aspect or the working principle is the life force.? ?Who is this God who is your companion every moment of your existence? What can it be other than this life force and the consciousness?? ?For one who has identified himself not with the body, but with this life force, can there be the need for anything else from any source??
?Life force, love and consciousness are all one in essence. By all means use your body to work in the world but understand what it is. The body is only an instrument to be used; you are not the body. You are the everlasting, timeless, spaceless [life force / Principle ] principle which gives sentience to this body. This is the most secret but simplest principle as far as spiritual knowledge is concerned.?It is this life force?s conscious presence, without any form, which has been called God in various names
Repeat the fact to ourselves that I am not the body but the life force or consciousness; that is my nature.? ?If you do not consider yourself as anything else, then at least consider yourself as the vital force. Identify yourself as the vital force and be like that [universal, formless, shapeless, timeless aliveness].? ?It seems you never feel happy unless you get identified with the body. Get instead identified with the vital force?. What is the vital, primary capital available to you now? It is the vital force only, and with that you perceive through the senses [and can think, act]
You are the vital force. And the vital force is universal.? ?The sum and substance of my teaching is this: Don?t be dishonest to your vital breath, worship that only, accept it as yourself. And when you worship in this manner, it can lead you anywhere, to any heights. Then you will realize , that this touch of ?I-am-ness,? which is dwelling in the vital breath, will open up [to the Absolute Reality].? ?Knowledge about the vital force is not generally available; it has not been recorded anywhere. So this information might be new to you.?
Sayings From a source Nisargadatta Maharaj .

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 18, 2019, 08:49:25 PM »

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 05, 2019, 09:00:04 AM »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 22, 2019, 11:42:39 PM »

Leave it all behind you.Forget it.
Go forth,unburdened with ideas and beliefs.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:44 PM »
Those who come here with the idea of getting knowledge - even spiritual knowledge - come here as individuals aspiring to get something. That is the real difficulty. The seeker must disappear. When you know your real nature, the knowledge ' I am' remains, but that knowledge is unlimited. It is not possible for you to acquire knowledge. You ARE knowledge. You are what you are seeking. Your true being exists prior to the arising of any concept. Dive deep within yourself and you will find it easily and simply. Enquire what is permanent in the transient, real in the unreal. This is sadhana or spiritual practice.

Nisargadatta, Consciousness and the Absolute, The final talks of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:35 AM »
Q: How am I to get rid of the false and secure the real?

M: To what purpose?

Q: In order to live a better, a more satisfactory life, integrated and happy.

M: Whatever is conceived by the mind must be false, for it is bound to be relative and limited. The real is inconceivable and cannot be harnessed to a purpose. It must be wanted for its own sake.

Q: How can I want the inconceivable?

M: What else is there worth wanting? Granted, the real cannot be wanted, as a thing is wanted. But you can see the unreal as unreal and discard it. It is the discarding the false that opens the way to the true.

Q: I understand, but how does it look in actual daily life?

M: Self-interest and self-concern are the focal points of the false. Your daily life vibrates between desire and fear. Watch it intently and you will see how the mind assumes innumerable names and shapes, like a river foaming between the boulders. Trace every action to its selfish motive and look at the motive intently till it dissolves.

Q: To live, one must look after oneself, one must earn money for oneself.

M: You need not earn for yourself, but you may have to - for a woman and a child. You may have to keep on working for the sake of others. Even just to keep alive can be a sacrifice. There is no need whatsoever to be selfish. Discard every self-seeking motive as soon as it is seen and you need not search for truth; truth will find you.

Q: There is a minimum of needs.

M: Were they not supplied since you were conceived? Give up the bondage of self-concern and be what you are - intelligence and love in action.

Q: But one must survive!

M: You can't help surviving! The real you is timeless and beyond birth and death. And the body will survive as long as it is needed. It is not important that it should live long. A full life is better than a long life.

Q: Who is to say what is a full life? It depends on my cultural background.

M: If you seek reality you must set yourself free of all backgrounds, of all cultures, of all patterns of thinking and feeling. Even the idea of being man or woman, or even human, should be discarded. The ocean of life contains all, not only humans. So, first of all abandon all self-identification, stop thinking of yourself as such-and-such, so-and-so, this or that. Abandon all self-concern, worry not about your welfare, material or spiritual, abandon every desire, gross or subtle, stop thinking of achievement of any kind. You are complete here and now, you need absolutely nothing.

It does not mean that you must be brainless and foolhardy, improvident or indifferent; only the basic anxiety for oneself must go. You need some food, clothing and shelter for you and yours, but this will not create problems as long as greed is not taken for a need. Live in tune with things as they are and not as they are imagined.

Q: What am I if not human?

M: That which makes you think that you are a human is not human. It is but a dimensionless point of consciousness, a conscious nothing; all you can say about yourself is: 'I am.' You are pure being- awareness - bliss. To realize that is the end of all seeking. You come to it when you see all you think yourself to be as mere imagination and stand aloof in pure awareness of the transient as transient, imaginary as imaginary, unreal as unreal. It is not at all difficult, but detachment is needed. It is the clinging to the false that makes the true so difficult to see. Once you understand that the false needs time and what needs time is false, you are nearer the Reality, which is timeless, ever in the now. Eternity in time is mere repetitiveness, like the movement of a clock. It flows from the past into the future endlessly, an empty perpetuity. Reality is what makes the present so vital, so different from the past and future, which are merely mental. If you need time to achieve something, it must be false. The real is always with you; you need not wait to be what you are. Only you must not allow your mind to go out of yourself in search. When you want something, ask yourself: do I really need it? and if the answer is no, then just drop it.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 07, 2019, 10:47:42 AM »