Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176341 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2012, 02:13:27 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi, Yes,i love his way of teaching. He express everything so simple,clear and strightforward. With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2012, 01:17:39 AM »
 Go deep into the sense of 'I am' and you will find.

How do you find a thing you have mislaid or forgotton? You keep it in your mind until you recall it.

The sense of being, of 'I am' is the first to emerge. Ask yourself whence it comes, or just watch it quietly.

When the mind stays in the 'I am', without moving, you enter a state that cannot be verbalized but can be experienced. All you need to do is to try and try again.

How do you go about finding anything? By keeping your mind and heart on it. Interest there must be and steady remembrance. To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success. You come to it through earnestness.

Take the first step first. All blessings come from within. Turn within. 'I am' you know. Be with it all the time you can spare, until you revert to it spontaneously. There is no simpler and easier way.

Questioner: Since I cannot improve sattva, am I to deal with tamas and rajas only? How do I deal with them?

Nisargadatta: By watching their influence in you and on you. Be aware of them in operation, watch their expression in your thoughts, words and deeds, and gradually their grip on you will lessen and the clear light of sattva will emerge.

Questioner: I can see the mechanism of my confusion, but I do not see my way out of it.

Nisargadatta: The very examination of the mechanism shows the way. After all, your confusion is only in your mind, which so far has never rebelled against confusion and never got to grips with it. It rebelled only against pain.

Be alert. Question, observe, investigate, learn all you can about confusion, how it operates, what it does to you and others. By being clear about confusion you become clear of confusion.

Use your mind. Remember. Observe.

You are not different from others. Most of their experiences are valid for you too.

Think clearly and deeply, go into the structure of your desires and their ramifications. They are a most important part of your mental and emotional make-up and powerfully affect your actions.

Remember, you cannot abandon what you do not know. To go beyond yourself, you must know yourself.

Just keep in mind the feeling 'I am', merge in it, till your mind and feeling become one. By repeated attempts you will stumble on the right balance of attention and affection and your mind will be firmly established in the thought-feeling 'I am'.

Questioner: Then what is needed?

Nisargadatta: Distrust your mind, and go beyond.

Questioner: What shall I find beyond the mind?

Nisargadatta: The direct experience of being, knowing and loving.

Questioner: How does one go beyond the mind?

Nisargadatta: There are many starting points - they all lead to the same goal. You may begin with selfless work, abandoning the fruits of action; you may then give up thinking and in the end give up all desires. Here, giving up (tyaga) is the operational factor.

Or you may not bother about anything you want, or think, or do and just stay put in the thought and feeling 'I am, focussing 'I am firmly in your mind.

All kind of experience may come to you - remain unmoved in the knowledge that all perceivable is transient, and only the 'I am' endures.

Truth is simple and open to all. Why do you complicate? Truth is loving and lovable. It includes all, accepts all, purifies all.

It is untruth that is difficult and a source of trouble. It always wants, expects, demands. Being false, it is empty, always in search of confirmation and reassurance. It is afraid of and avoids inquiry. It identifies itself with any support, however weak and momentary. Whatever it gets, it loses and asks for more.

Questioner: Why do you keep on dismissing the person (vyakti) as of no importance? Personality is the primary fact of our existence. It occupies the entire stage.

Nisargadatta: As long as you do not see that it is a mere habit, built on memory, prompted by desire, you will think yourself to be a person - living, feeling, thinking, active, passive, pleased or pained. Question yourself, ask yourself: 'Is it so?', 'Who am I?', 'What is behind and beyond all this?' And soon you will see your mistake. And it is in the very nature of a mistake to cease to be, when seen.

Go on pondering, wondering, being anxious to find a way. Be conscious of yourself, watch your mind, give it your full attention. Don't look for quick results; there may be none within your noticing. Unkown to you, your psyche will undergo a change, there will be more clarity in your thinking, charity in your feeling, purity in your behaviour.

You need not aim at these - you will witness the change all the same. For, what you are now is the result of inattention and what you become will be the fruit of attention.

Nisargadatta: The nature of the perfect mirror is such that you cannot see it. Whatever you can see is bound to be a stain. Turn away from it, give it up, know it as unwanted.

Questioner: All perceivables, are they stains?

Nisargadatta: All are stains

Questioner: The entire world is a stain.

Nisargadatta: Yes, it is.

Questioner: How awful! So, the universe is of no value?

Nisargadatta: It is of tremendous value. By going beyond it you realize yourself.

Questioner: But why did it come into being in the first instance?

Nisargadatta: You will know when it ends.

Questioner: Will it ever end?

Nisargadatta: Yes, for you.

Questioner: When did it begin?

Nisargadatta: Now.

Questioner: When will it end?

Nisargadatta: Now.

Questioner: It does not end now?

Nisargadatta: You don't let it.

Questioner: I want to let it.

Nisargadatta: You don't. All your life is connected with it. Your past and future, your desires and fears, all have their roots in the world. Without the world where are you. who are you?

Questioner: But that is exactly what I came to find out.

Nisargadatta: And I am telling you exactly this: find a foothold in the beyond and all will be clear and easy.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 04:03:57 AM »
May 10, 1980 Maharaj: How did I get to the truth that I prevail everlastingly?

By meditating on the meditator, by "I Amness" merging into "I Airiness".

Only then did I understand what my true nature is.

The great Sages meditated in the same way.

Nobody had told me how to do it.

I did not seek this knowledge externally.

It sprouted within me.

I meditated like the Sages and saw a vision.

Initially, there was space, and in the space I saw the principles embodied.

Actually, they have no bodies, but in my vision they had bodies.

I called them Prakriti and Purusha, the male and female aspects of cosmic consciousness.

Until the union of Prakriti and Purusha, the dynamic, all-pervading consciousness lay in a dormant state.

In the union of the male and female aspects, emissions were planted in the female of these figures.

When these emissions merged in the womb they started taking form.

After nine months of gestation, an infant was delivered.

That consciousness which was planted in the womb was the causal body, the "lingadeha".

In that "lingadeha", the knowledge "I Am" was in a dormant condition.

This is what I saw in meditation.

Questioner: How did we lose this pure consciousness state?

M: Every being experiences the Isvara state, either directly or potentially, but he is so wrapped up in this objective world that he loses his identity.

You must know what this "I Am" principle is.

It appears spontaneously and with its appearance begins the riddle of conceptual life.

Q: How do I start this search for my Self?

M: Start from the very beginning.
 In this gross world I began with my parents, because I knew full well that my principle was already dwelling there in the collection of their bodily elements out of which I emanated.

But I came to the conclusion that I could not be that principle which came from the mother's body.

There is nobody here who is 100 years old.

Does that mean that 100 years ago you did not exist?

Q: I don't know.

M: The one who said, "I don't know" must have been there; in short, you were not like this, but you must have been something.

You must comprehend this correctly.

100 years back I was not like this; so, the one pointing this out must have been there.

You did, and do, exist unto eternity.

What I am expounding does not relate to worldly knowledge.

You do not want to give up either worldly knowledge or so-called spiritual knowledge, and yet, through these worldly concepts, you want to understand the riddle of your existence, and that is precisely why you are not able to understand.

In truth, your state is one of Absolute bliss, not this phenomenal state.

In that non-phenomenal state you are full of bliss but there is no experience of its presence.

In that state there is no trace of misery or unhappiness, only unalloyed bliss.

What am I talking about?

Q: Ananda (bliss).

M: Because you want some satisfaction according to your own concepts, you try to qualify unalloyed bliss.

The term "ananda" has significance only when it signifies that the bodily beingness is available to experience it.

When you are in deep sleep and you start to see forms, you are actually dreaming.

Aren't those dream forms coming from your own beingness?

Whatever you see, even in the waking state, doesn't it come from your own beingness which is dwelling within the body?

In deep sleep, consciousness was in a dormant condition; there were no bodies, no concepts, no encumbrances.

Upon the arrival of this apparently wakeful state, with the arrival of the concept "I Am", the love of "I Am" woke up.

That itself is Maya, illusion.

Q: Does Maharaj mean that the experiencer of the three states is the Self?

M: That is the Saguna Brahman state; because of your beingness the other states are.

The dream world is very old, it is not new.

You see old monuments in your dreams.

Your beingness is very powerful.

The emergence of this beingness itself constitutes time.

Everything is beingness, but I, the Absolute, am not that.

In meditation, there was space, when suddenly two forms appeared out of no-form, Prakriti and Purusha, and the quintessence of these forms was the knowledge "I Am".

There were no forms, then suddenly forms appeared, just as in the dream world.

You as a dreamer are sleeping on the bed, but in your dream world you see a body and you think it is you, and you are doing everything through this dream body.

In that same way, bodies are created in the so-called waking state.

The Prakriti and Purusha state has no form and is eternal, having neither a beginning nor an end.

But from it come the five elements, and with them, simultaneously, the body is formed at the moment that time is first experienced.

This process is ever continuing, with the body-form merely indicative of the opportunity to experience time.

This explanation will not reach home to everyone.

At the moment of so-called death, with what identity would you like to depart?

Q: As Parabrahman.

M: The Absolute, which I call Parabrahman, what is it like?

What you are doing is multiplying words with more words, concepts with more concepts.

Q: Maharaj must take me out of this.

M: Can you define what you are?

Q: I must have your blessing to understand what I am.

M: You are very adept at word-games.

While I am talking about knowledge that is beyond this phenomenal world, you are trying to understand through worldly concepts and words.

Give up all these concepts and inquire into the nature of your beingness.

How did you happen to be?

Ponder it!

The real blessing of the Guru comes when your knowledge itself sprouts inside you.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »
Your own little body too is full of mysteries and dangers, yet you are not afraid of it, for you take it as your own.
What you do not know is that the entire universe is your body, and you need not be afraid of it.
You may say you have two bodies: the personal and the universal. The personal comes and goes, the universal is always with you.
The entire creation is your universal body. You are so blinded by what is personal, that you do not see the universal.
This blindness will not end by itself - it must be undone skilfully and deliberately.
When all illusions are understood and abandoned, you reach the error-free and perfect state in which all distinctions between the personal and the universal are no more.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2012, 01:20:50 AM »
"This dwelling on the sense 'I am' is the simple, easy and natural Yoga, the Nisarga Yoga.
There is no secrecy in it and no dependence; no preparation or initiation is required.
Whoever is puzzled by his very existence as a conscious being and earnestly wants to find his own source,
can grasp the ever-present sense of 'I am' and dwell on it assiduously and patiently,
till the clouds obscuring the mind dissolve and the heart of being is seen in all its glory."

Maurice Frydman

"There's nothing from which the world could profit more than from giving up profit.
A man who's no longer thinking in terms of winning and loosing is truly non-violent man, since he's above all conflicts." 
- Nisargadatta

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2012, 02:44:04 AM »
Your expectation of something unique and dramatic, of some wonderful explosion, is merely hindering and delaying your Self Realization.
You are not to expect an explosion, for the explosion has already happened - at the moment when you were born,
when you realized yourself as Being-Knowing-Feeling. There is only one mistake you are making: you take the inner for the outer and the outer for the inner.
What is in you, you take to be outside you and what is outside, you take to be in you. The mind and feelings are external, but you take them to be intimate.
You believe the world to be objective, while it is entirely a projection of you psyche. That is the basic confusion and no new explosion will set it right!
You have to think yourself out of it. There is no other way.

Watch your thoughts as you watch the street traffic. People come and go; you register without response.
It may not be easy in the beginning, but with some practice you will find that your mind can function on many levels at the same time and you can be aware of them all.
It is only when you have a vested interest in any particular level, that your attention gets caught in it and you black out on other levels.
Even then, the work on the blacked out levels goes on, outside the field of consciousness. Do not struggle with your memories and thoughts.
Try only to include in your field of attention the other, more important questions, like "Who am I?", "How did I happen to be born?"
"Whence this universe around me?" "What is real and what is momentary?" No memory will persist if you lose interest in it.
It is the emotional link that perpetuates the bondage.

You are always seeking pleasure, avoiding pain, always after happiness and peace.Don't you see that it is your very search for happiness that makes you feel miserable?
Try the other way: Indifferent to pain and pleasure, neither asking nor refusing, give all your attention to the level on which "I AM" is timelessly present.
Soon you will realise that peace and happiness are in your very nature and it is only seeking them through some particular channels that disturbs. 
Avoid the disturbance, that is all.There is no need to seek: You would not seek what you are already have. You yourself are God, the Supreme Reality.

To begin with, trust me, trust the teacher. It enables you to make the first step - and then your trust is justified by your own experience.
In every walk of life, initial trust is essential; without it, little can be done. Every undertaking is an act of faith. Even your daily bread you eat on trust.
By remembering what I told you,  you will achieve everything. I am telling you again: You are the all pervading, all transcending reality.
Behave accordingly: think, feel and act in harmony with the whole and the actual experience of what I say will dawn upon you in no time!
No effort is needed. Have faith and act on it.

Please see that I want nothing from you.It is in your own interest that I speak, because above all you love yourself, you want yourself secure and happy.
Don't be ashamed of it, don't deny it. It is natural and good to love oneself.Only you should know what exactly you love.
It is not the body that you love, it is Life - perceiving, feeling , thinking, doing, loving, striving, creating. It is that Life you love, which is you, which is all.
Realize it in its totality, beyond all divisions and limitations, and all your desires will merge in it, for the greater contains the smaller.
Therefore, find yourself; for in finding that, you find all.

Everybody is glad to be, but few know the Fullness of it. You come to know by dwelling in your mind on "I AM", "I KNOW" "I LOVE"
- with the will of reaching the deepest meaning of these words.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2012, 05:41:33 AM »
Jewell,

"There is only one mistake you are making: you take the inner for the outer and the outer for the inner.
What is in you, you take to be outside you and what is outside, you take to be in you. The mind and feelings are external, but you take them to be intimate.
You believe the world to be objective, while it is entirely a projection of you psyche. That is the basic confusion and no new explosion will set it right!
You have to think yourself out of it. There is no other way"

Wonderfully said.As ever,Maharaj is putting it in a simple and straight manner.Thanks very much.

Namaskar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »
Thank You Very much,dear Sri Ravi! Yes,i love His simplycity,it is so refreshing.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2012, 12:44:55 AM »
The 'I am' came first, it's ever present, ever available, refuse all thoughts except 'I am', stay there.

Understanding the 'I am', your sense of 'being' or just 'presence' is extremely important as on it rests the entire outcome of the teaching.
Firstly, are you at all aware of your 'being' or of the fact that 'you are'?
You have 'to be' before anything else can be, your sense of 'presence' or the feeling 'I am' is really fundamental to anything that has to follow.
Secondly, this sense of 'being' or the feeling 'I am', was it not the very first event or happening before any of your living experiences could begin?
Apply your mind go back in time to the moment when it dawned on you that 'you are' or 'I am'.
This 'I am' is still there with you, ever present, ever available, it was and still is the first thought, refuse all other thoughts and come back there and stay there.
So try to understand and grasp this 'beingness' or 'I amness' that is inherent in you. The more precisely and clearly you do it the more rapid will be your progress.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 02, 2012, 02:40:27 AM »
Consistently and with perseverance separate the 'I am' from 'this' or 'that', just keep in mind the feeling 'I am'.

All this is not as easy as it sounds, it is hard work, your consistency and perseverance are keys to your success.
Separate the 'I am' from 'I am this' or' I am that' or 'I am so and so' all these are add-ons and have been loaded onto you by others and society.
All these appendages on the 'I am' may be of some value in your day to day living but if your goal or quest is for eternity, then they are impediments.
You will have to separate them from the 'I am' and just keep in mind your sense of 'presence' or the feeling 'I am'.

Give all your attention to the 'I am', which is timeless presence, the 'I am' applies to all, come back to it repeatedly.

Use your memory to go back in time to the stage when you just came to know that 'you are' without words. Did you have a sense of time then? Did you know who you are or who your parents are? Did you know where you were geographically located? You knew none of these, it was a timeless presence, you did of course know space which came with the 'I am', but not time, and this timeless presence applies to all. Come back to this timeless and wordless 'I am' again and again.

Hold on to the 'I am' to the exclusion of everything else, the 'I am' in movement creates the world, the 'I am' at peace becomes the Absolute.

Leave everything aside and just grab hold of the 'I am'. Just observe its power, its stirrings, and its movements that created the world along with which came all this turmoil and misery. Come back to the 'I am' and let the 'I am' be in the 'I am'. Then it becomes still and disappears, and then there is peace, for there is only the Absolute now.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »
The 'I am' has brought you in, the 'I am' will take you out, the 'I am' is the door, stay at it! It's open!

The feeling 'I am' very clearly qualifies as the port of entry or doorway through which you came into this world and thus it also qualifies as the way out.
And there is no other way out! Stay at it and you shall see that this door is always open, it was never closed.
Unless you go back and stay in the 'I am' for a sufficiently long time you won't come to know this fact.

You have to be there before you can say 'I am', the 'I am' is the root of all appearance.

There definitely was a substratum on which this knowledge 'I am' arose, it was a wordless feeling.
It was only when you learnt a language that you could say 'I am'. Along with the wordless 'I am' also came space and the world,
so the 'I am' is at the root of whatever you perceive.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2012, 12:14:22 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes. One should contemplate I AM in a wordless language.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir, Yes,coz,even without the thought 'I am' we know that we are. That feeling,knowing of presence is there.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Dear Jewell,

I AM THAT I AM - is the famous Biblical sentence.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Yes,It is famous sentence everywhere. It is the Truth itself!