Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 177037 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Dunn about Sri Nisargadatta's teachings
« Reply #615 on: December 21, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »
     Teachings of Nisargadatta Maharaj : Jean Dunn says...
in the book "Prior to Consciousness"

In one way the core of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj's teaching is easy to grasp, and extremely difficult in another. It is easy if we are willing to be completely honest with ourselves, to look at the concepts of others with which we have built our own prisons. To investigate for one's self can be extremely difficult because we are very attached to our concepts - we don't want to give them up. But if the desire to KNOW is a burning desire, then we will set forth on our course. We can only know who or what we are by personal experience, not from books or others.

Maharaj urged us to find out what this "I" is. He was like a surgeon with a sharp scalpel, cutting away all inessential things. His questions often left one out in "left field," not knowing what to say. His answers, were never what was expected. He would not allow any quoting of scriptures - only personal experience - and he could get quite angry about this. Once when someone quoted Dakshinamurti, a Hindu deity, Maharaj responded: "Hang Dakshinamurti! What about you? What is your experience?"

Most of us identify ourself with the body-mind and so he insisted that we find out what this body-mind is. Did it not come from the sperm of the father and the ovum of the mother? The body then is a product of the food consumed and is sustained by food, which is the essence of the five elements. Can we be this? Without consciousness the body is dead material. When consciousness leaves the body there is no individual, no world, and no God. Consciousness can only be conscious of itself when it has manifested in a physical form. Consciousness is latent in every grain of food, in all the five elements - it is universal, non-personal, all-pervading. Everything is consciousness, and that is what we are, presently. Consciousness acts through the forms according to the combination of the gunas, satwa (being-light-purity), tamas (inertia-passivity-darkness), rajas (activity-passion-energy), and to the conditioning received. What happens when one of these forms "dies?" The form again becomes part of the five elements and the consciousness merges with the universal consciousness. This is all a process happening, the play of consciousness.

Before this form came - what was I? That is what one truly is. That  Absolute Parabrahman - these are only words which we have invented to name the Unmanifest, Unnameable. The eternal "I," absolutely unconditioned, timeless, spaceless Being, not aware of being (because there is no other). I am as I Am, as I always was, as I ever will be, eternally.

Seekers from all over the world came to Sri Maharaj for his spiritual guidance. The contents of this book (Prior to Consciousness) are transcribed from the tape recordings made during the question and answer periods of 1980 and 1981, until the death of Sri Maharaj from cancer of the throat on September 8, 1981, at the age of 84. Maharaj spoke only in Marathi and at each meeting there was a translator, not always the same one; we are very grateful to them. The most frequent ones were Sri S. K. Mullarpattan, Dr. D. Doongaji, Ramesh S. Balsekar, and S. V. Sapre, and the evening translator whom I remember only as Mohan. There were others at different times, but generally these were the day-to-day translators. We are also very grateful to Miss N. Vanaja who was so faithful in recording these talks.

During the last two years of his life Maharaj did not entertain any questions pertaining to this worldly life and its improvement. He taught only the highest truth, and due to the weakened condition of his body, on some days there was very little discussion. But even one sentence of his was like an Upanishad. He was very blunt and sharp in his answers and did not cater to anyone's ego - in fact, his stated purpose was to destroy this "psuedo-entity." To be in his presence was to feel the vibrant truth, impossible to describe. He was amazing to watch: that "personality" could be happy, angry, sad, gay, sarcastic, or gentle, and a variety of emotion played through that "bundle" like sunlight on water. There was never any attempt to change any of it ... let it do its thing, it was not him. Suffering there was in abundance, due to the cancer, but in this human picture I have never seen anyone braver. Never did a whimper leave his lips. That body carried on when it seemed impossible that it could do so. One could only gaze at him in total love and awe. Although there was no doubt that the form of Sri Maharaj was suffering from cancer, he carried on just as usual with the daily routine of bhajans four times a day, question and answer periods twice daily, although as the body grew weaker these periods were often cut short. It was enough to be in his presence. It was only toward the end that he rarely spoke.

The repetitions in the text are necessary, as Maharaj hammered continuously at our concepts, each time bringing us back to the root when we tried to stray to the leaves and branches. When we tried to hang on to words, even words which he had used, he shot them right out from under us. As someone once said, "I am tremendously grateful to Maharaj. What is most different is that, regardless of anything, he answers what is most helpful and right, but people want to make the teachings into a system, which ultimately ruins them. But Maharaj doesn't worry. He just says on Wednesday that red is black, and on Friday that red is white, but the answer is correct at the time, because it changes the orientation of the questioner. It is tremendously valuable and unique." The reader should take only a few pages at a time and ponder and meditate over them.

From nisargadatta.org

Jewell

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #616 on: December 25, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »

"There may be as many enemies as there are stars in the sky,
but if there is the blessing of the Guru, nobody can touch even a hair."

Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 28, 2013, 06:43:01 PM »

"You will see the same facial expression in the mirror
as you have on your face.
If you see a bad expression in the reflection in the mirror,
is it the fault of the mirror?"

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:47 PM »

"You harbour such useless doubts and become slaves to Illusion.
Actually, there is no question of how to behave, or what to do.
Action and non-action are both irrelevant.
 When the whole of life is One, why ask how to behave?
The question is finished."

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: January 28, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »
      One of the visitors that morning, a lady, was very much moved by Maharaj's condition and the way he was bearing his pain stoically. She thought that physical pain could be even worse than death. She could not help telling Maharaj*: *Sir, I am not afraid of death, but I have a dreadful fear of physical pain. Please tell me how I could get rid of this fear?

Maharaj laughed and said: I am afraid I cannot help you there, but I am sure there are many others who know the methods of avoiding or lessening physical pain. All I can do is to explain to you what suffering itself is and who suffers.

You must always go to the root of the problem. When did the experience of suffering first start? Do you have any memory of any suffering, say, a hundred years ago? When did the experience start? Think about it deeply so that the answers to these questions would arise within yourself without any words. Is life — living itself — other than experiencing; experiencing in duration, moment to moment stretched horizontally? And what is experiencing? Is it not reacting to
an outside stimulus which is interpreted through the senses as an experience — pleasant and acceptable, or, unpleasant and not acceptable. One does not experience suffering — one suffers an experience, pleasant or unpleasant.

Now, the basic question you should be concerned with is: "Who (or, more appropriately what) is it that suffers an experience? "Let me tell you straightaway: "'I' do not (cannot) suffer any experience, pleasant or unpleasant; it is only a 'you or a 'me' who suffers an experience. "This is a very important pronouncement and you should ponder over it deeply.

I should really let you solve this problem for yourself, or rather, let the problem work itself out! But let us proceed. 'I' cannot suffer any experience, because 'I' am pure subjectivity without the slightest trace of objectivity, and only an object can suffer. A 'me' or a 'you' is an object and, therefore, suffers experience. Also, like any other object, a 'me' or a 'you' can have no substance and, therefore, can exist only as a concept in consciousness. Further, never forget that it is only
consciousness which can suffer because any reaction to a stimulus, which is what experiencing is, can only take place through consciousness. Indeed, therefore, "consciousness and suffering are identical, "and not in any way different. Ponder over this very significant point.

What I say you will find rather difficult to grasp because you have identified yourself with the body, the psychosomatic apparatus through which an experience is suffered, the instrument in which the suffered experience is registered. You have lost your identity with 'pure subjectivity, the Absolute that you truly are, and have mistakenly identified yourself with the objective 'me'; therefore you say 'I suffer', and therefore you are 'bound'.

Do you understand what I have been saying? I am aware of my true identity as intemporality, infinity, subjectivity — therefore I do not and can not suffer. I am aware that it is consciousness that apparently suffers an experience through the sensorial apparatus. You, on the other hand, believe that you are the sensorial apparatus and it is this mistaken identity of yours that is the cause of your suffering and your bondage.

So long as there is consciousness functioning, keeping the sensorial apparatus working, there will also be living, experiencing, suffering — positive or negative.  But you, as 'I', are only the witnessing of it all.  All functioning is the objective expression of what-I-am subjectively, and every sentient being can say this: What-I-am cannot suffer any experience, only an objective 'you' or 'me' can suffer an experience.

Translation by Ramesh S. Balsekar
Copyright © 1982 by Ramesh S. Balsekar.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 29, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

“The desire to find the self will be surely fulfilled,
provided you want nothing else. 
 But you must be honest with yourself and really want nothing else.
 If in the meantime you want many other things
and are engaged in their pursuit,
your main purpose may be delayed u
until you grow wiser and cease being torn
between contradictory urges.  
Go within, without swerving, without ever looking outward.”

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 31, 2014, 02:58:00 AM »

The ‘here’ is everywhere, and the now always.
 Go beyond the ‘I-am-the-body’ idea
and you will find that space and time are in you
and not you in space and time.
Once you have understood this,
the main obstacle to realization is removed. 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #622 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »

“So long as there is a pseudo-entity considering itself a seeker
and working towards 'liberation',
it will continue to remain in 'bondage.
It must be deeply, intuitively perceived
that the seeker is the sought.
When this happens, the seeker disappears.”

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:42 PM »
     *Questionnaire:  *If my real self is peace and love, why is it so restless?

*Maharaj*:  It is not your real being that is restless, but its reflection in
the mind appears restless because the mind is restless.  It is just
like the reflection of the moon in the water stirred by the wind.
The wind of desire stirs the mind and the 'me' which is but a
reflection of the Self in the mind, appears changeful.  But these
ideas of movement, of restlessness, of pleasure and pain are all
in the mind.  The Self stands beyond the mind, aware, but
unconcerned.

*Questionnaire:  *How to reach it?

*Maharaj*:  You are the Self, here and now Leave the mind alone, stand
aware and unconcerned and you will realize that to stand alert
but detached, watching events come and go, is an aspect of
your real nature.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 02, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »
    *Maharaj:*  Wait!  Who told you that you should not (be happy).  What is wrong with wanting to be happy? The self is there.  Your desires are there.  Your longing to be happy is there.  Why?  Because you love yourself.  By all means love yourself - wisely.  What is wrong is to love yourself stupidly, so as to make yourself suffer.  Love yourself wisely.  Both indulgence and austerity have the same purpose in view - to make you happy.  Indulgence is the stupid way, austerity is the wise way.

*Questioner:*  What is austerity?

*Maharaj:*  Once you have gone through an experience, not to go through it again is austerity.  To eschew the unnecessary is austerity.  Not to anticipate pleasure or pain is austerity.  Having things under control at all times is austerity.  Desire by itself is not wrong.  It is life itself, the urge to grow in knowledge and experience.  
It is the choices you make that are wrong.  To imagine that some little thing - food, sex, power, fame - will make you happy is to deceive yourself.  Only something vast and deep as your real self can make you truly and lastingly happy.

*Questioner:*  Since there is nothing basically wrong in desire as an expression of self love, how should desire be managed?

*Maharaj:*  Live your life intelligently, with the interest of your deepest self always in mind.  After all, what do you really want?  Not perfection; you are already perfect.  What you seek is to express in action what you are.  For this you have a body and a mind.  Take them in hand and make them serve you.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 04, 2014, 08:33:27 PM »

"There is a story of a person who was not guarding his field. Someone asked him, 'Why don't you guard the crops in your field?' He answered, 'I have kept it open so that it may be useful for others. Let people take away what they want.' But the experience was completely opposite. Robbers said, 'Let us not rob from his field, we will rob from the fields of those who protect their possessions zealously."

Sadguru Sri Siddharameshwar Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 11, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »
      In desire, there is bondage. Whatever you want is at a certain place. If you want it, you have to go there where it is located. You have to wait there until you get what you want, and sometimes, the desire is fulfilled. Then, when you get what you want and it cannot be carried away from that location, you have to remain there. This is the bondage because of desire. If you do not wish to be bound, you have to give up your desire. Where there is desire, there is detention, which means having residence living there (in the world)."

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 14, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »

Be nothing, know nothing, have nothing.
This is the only life worth living,
 the only happiness worth having.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 17, 2014, 02:02:06 AM »

Try to be, only to be. The all-important word is 'try'. Allot enough time daily for sitting quietly and trying, just trying, to go beyond the personality, with its addictions and obsessions. Don't ask how, it cannot be explained. You just keep on trying until you succeed. If you persevere, there can be no failure. What matters supremely is sincerity, earnestness; you must really have had surfeit of being the person you are, now see the urgent need of being free of this unnecessary self-identification with a bundle of memories and habits. This steady resistance against the unnecessary is the secret of success.

When you are no longer attached to anything, you have done your share. The rest will be done for you.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #629 on: March 20, 2014, 03:33:32 AM »

-- Experience, however sublime, is not the real thing. By its very nature it comes and goes. Self-realisation is not an acquisition. It is more of the nature of understanding. Once arrived at, it cannot be lost. On the other hand, consciousness is changeful, flowing, undergoing transformation from moment to moment. Do not hold on to consciousness and its contents. Consciousness held, ceases. To try to perpetuate a flash of insight, or a burst of happiness is destructive of what it wants to preserve. What comes must go. The permanent is beyond all comings and goings. Go to the root of all experience, to the sense of being. Beyond being and not-being lies the immensity of the real. Try and try again --