Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176827 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #390 on: March 10, 2013, 01:38:20 PM »

Q: I think there should be beauty in the whole manifestation.

NM: You should not get involved in what has appeared.  Take a tree -- the bark, the leaves, the blossoms, the fruits --
all have a different nature. If you get involved in the appearance of these, you will lose sight of the source, the tree.

Intellectually, you have understood, but you have to be one with it, you have to identify with what you have understood.
Understand that the seed of this body is the sperm of the father, mixed with ovum of the mother. That is the seed for the
manifestation of the phenomena, but I am not the seed, I am not the phenomena, nor am I the consciousness which is time
bound.

The names and forms which you see are consciousness only.  Your consciousness is very pure and that is why you are able
to judge. The Atman is colorless, but It is able to judge colors etc.,

This knowledge is for those who have no desires left. The Self Knowledge is the most precious knowledge.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 10, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »

If you stay with the idea that you are not the body nor the mind, not even their witness, but altogether beyond, your mind will grow in clarity, your desires in purity, your actions in charity, and that inner distillation will take you to another world, a world of truth and fearless love. Resist your old habits of feeling and thinking; keep on telling yourself: "No, not so, it cannot be so; I am not like this, I do not need it, I do not want it", and a day will surely come when the entire structure of error and despair will collapse and the ground will be free for a new life. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 11, 2013, 01:35:12 PM »

NM:  Why not turn away from the experience to the experiencer and realize the full import of the only true statement you can
make, I AM.

Q: How is it done?

NM: There is no 'how' here. Just keep in mind the feeling I AM, merge in it, till your mind and feeling become one.  By repeated
attempts you will stumble on the right balance of attention and affection and your mind will be firmly established in the thought-
feeling I AM. Whatever you think, say or do, this sense of immutable and affectionate being remains as the ever present back ground
of the mind.

Q: And you call it liberation?

NM: I call it normal. what is wrong with being, knowing and acting effortlessly and happily? Why consider it so unusual as to expect
the immediate destruction of the body?  What is wrong with the body that it should die?  Correct your attitude to your body and
leave it alone. Don't pamper, don't torture.  Just keep it going, most of the time below the threshold of conscious attention.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 12, 2013, 03:42:18 AM »

Neither ignorance nor illusion ever happened to you. Find the self to which you ascribe ignorance and illusion and your question will be answered. You talk as if you know the self and see it to be under the sway of ignorance and illusion. But, in fact, you do not know the self, nor are you aware of ignorance. By all means, become aware, this will bring you to the self and you will realize that there is neither ignorance nor delusion in it. It is like saying: if there is sun, how can darkness be? As under a stone there will be darkness, however strong the sunlight, so in the shadow of the "I-am-the-body" consciousness there must be ignorance and illusion. Don't ask 'why' and 'how'. It is in the nature of creative imagination to identify itself with its creations. You can stop it any moment by switching off attention. Or though investigation.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 12, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »

Q: I cannot give all my life to such practices.  I have my duties to attend to.

NM:  By all means attend to your duties. Action, in which you are not emotionally involved and which is beneficial and does not
cause suffering will not bind you.  You may be engaged in several directions and work with enormous zeal, yet remain
inwardly free and quiet, with a mirror-like mind, which reflects all, without being affected.

Q: Is such a state realizable?

NM: I would not talk about it, if it were not.  Why should I engage in fancies?

Q: Everybody quotes scriptures.

NM:  Those who know only scriptures know nothing. To know is to BE.  I know what I am talking about. It is not from reading,
or hearsay.

Arunachala Siva.           

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 12, 2013, 08:09:48 PM »

Stabilize in the ‘Bindu’ (Point) ‘I am’ and transcend it. ‘Bindu’ means without duality (Bin=without, Du=two).
It is the ‘I am’ again and it has been given a new name for a better understanding: the ‘Bindu’ (point), which when split into two words ‘Bin’ and
‘Du’ means without duality. How is this so? As the focus of your meditation on the ‘I am’ (or when the knowledge ‘I am’) meditates on itself for a
prolonged period, a stage comes when it is only the ‘I am’ everywhere. When this happens, there is nothing else but the ‘I am’, it is a non-dual state.
This ‘Bindu’ (point) is located nowhere yet is everywhere, it is there indwelling in you, find it and get stabilized in it.

It is the ‘I am’ that investigates the ‘I am’. Realizing its falsehood it disappears and merges into Eternity.
In this very moment as you are reading through these lines, or as you ponder over them, who is it that is doing so? It is the knowledge ‘I am’
investigating the ‘I am’. All this that you are doing has the ‘I am’ in the background. The ‘I am’ is the driving force behind this entire undertaking; it
desperately wants to know what it is. As the understanding grows and it realizes its falsehood, it disappears. This done, there is nothing more left
to do, you are then in Eternity.

The knowledge ‘I am’ is God, if presently you are unable to understand it then just worship it.
Despite all efforts, even after an enormous amount of study you are still unable to understand the ‘I am’. What to do? Don’t get disheartened, the Guru
says there is a way out; to begin with realize that the ‘Jnana Marga’ (path of knowledge) is not for you. This realized, you must now resort to the ‘Bhakti Marga’ (the path of worship). And, what is to be worshipped? It is the knowledge ‘I am’, which is the God in you. Remember, both paths are
complementary, knowledge leads to worship and worship leads to knowledge. It is only a question of individual disposition as to what suits you, but
either way you will make it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 13, 2013, 02:20:25 PM »
Dear Jewel,

Nice explanation about Bindu.

Maharaj says:  Everything happens out of our own Self. This consciousness is spontaneously felt in the Self only,  This "I"
is not an individual. What is, is the Absolute unmanifested. What appears, as if, in a dream, is the manifested, relative world,
and this experience of the dream like state is the same, an identical state for everyone.

In this process of functioning, that becomes manifest, if you accept something as an individual even then it affects you as an
individual. If you do not take delivery as an individual but as total functioning, then you are free of whatever is happening. The
knowledge of the Self is this dream like feeling of "I-AM-NESS"    By assuming a separate identity one taints which is taintless;
that is the original sin.

Go to the very root: Who are you? What are you? You are the product of the five elements, you have taken the support from the
five elements.  Your feelings of "I amness" emanates from five elements.   Focus your attention at that point., What change should occur in you so that you realize your Self?  What change could happen to you.? When you come here, you must be expecting something to happen. What change do you expect in yourself so that you may have now attained what I sought. I need not go to Maharaj anymore."       

With reference to what state, I am not keeping a record of anyone coming here, nor of any conversations among us.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 13, 2013, 11:29:21 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Beautuful! All we should know is expressed through these words You have quoted. Everything. Maharaj explaned everything in so clean and simple way. And very stright. Yes,we are persistently expecting some change,some extraordinary and exotic experience. And all that already happenwd when this manifestation occured. Maybe that is main obstacle. And acctualy we only need to drop individuality. Well,the best way for that is Self enquiry,then even question to drop something is not there. 

Thank You so much,sir!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:35 PM »
That which you are, your true self, you love it, and whatever you do, you do for your own happiness. To find it, to know it, to cherish it is you basic urge. Be true to your own self, love your self absolutely. Do not pretend that you love others as yourself. Unless you have realized them as one with yourself, you cannot love them. Don't pretend to be what you are not, don't refuse to be what you are. Your love of others is the result of self-knowledge, not its cause. Without self-realization, no virtue is genuine. When you know beyond all doubting that the same life flows through all that is and you are that life, you will love all naturally and spontaneously. 
When you realize the depth and fullness of your love of yourself, you know that every living being and the entire universe are included in your affection. But when you look at anything as separate from you, you cannot love it for you are afraid of it. Alienation causes fear, and fear deepens alienation. It is a vicious circle. Only self-realization can break it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »

NM:  Understand what I say without concepts; you are adding new concepts. Now go to zero concepts. There are many
spiritual seekers whose aim is to acquire sufficient merit to reach a certain place, such as Heaven or Vaikunta.  I have had
no aims except to find out.  I was not aware of my awareness, and suddenly I became conscious that I am. Where and how
did this consciousness arise on me?  That was my inquiry, going back to that state when the presence of phenomena was
not there. That is, original knowledge of the original Self. So, I went back, tracing this original Self, and I reached a stage
where I wanted to know what my state was before consciousness arose. That is the destination I have reached. Brahman, God,
Isvara -- all these are names given to the consciousness when it is conscious of itself.

Arunachala Siva.             

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »

Karma, or destiny, is an expression of a beneficial law: the universal trend towards balance, harmony and unity. At every moment, whatever happens now, is for the best. It may appear painful and ugly, a suffering bitter and meaningless, yet considering the past and the future it is for the best, as the only way out of a disastrous situation.

Most of our karma is collective. We suffer for the sins of others, as others suffer for ours. Humanity is one.

Ignorance is like a fever - it makes you see things which are not there. Karma is the divinely prescribed treatment. Welcome it and follow the instructions faithfully, and you will get well. A patient will leave the hospital after he recovers. To insist on immediate freedom of choice or action will merely postpone recovery. Accept your destiny and fulfil it - this is the shortest way to freedom from destiny. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 15, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

NM:

Everything happens out of our own Self.  This consciousness is spontaneously felt in he Self only.  This "I" is not an
individual.  What is, is the Absolute unmanifested.  What appears, as in a dream, is the manifested, relative world, and
this experience of the dream like state is the same., an identical state, for everyone.

In this process of functioning that becomes manifest, if you accept something as an individual event then it affects you as an
individual.  If you do not take delivery as an individual but as total functioning, then  you are free of whatever is happening.  The
knowledge of the Self is dream like feeling of 'I am ness'.  By assuming a separate identity one taints that which is taintless;
that is the original sin.

Arunachala Siva. 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 15, 2013, 10:57:25 PM »

Once you are in it [true awareness], you will find that you love what you see, whatever may be its nature. This choiceless love is the touchstone of awareness. If it is not there, you are merely interested, for some personal reasons.

In dream you love some and not others. On waking up you find you are love itself, embracing all. Personal love, however intense and genuine, invariably binds; love in freedom is love of all. When you are love itself, you are beyond time and numbers. In loving one you love all, in loving all, you love each. (258) 

When all the false self-identifications are thrown away, what remains is all-embracing love.

Relinquish your habits and addictions, live a simple and sober life , dorn't hurt a living being; this is the foundation of yoga. (515) 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 16, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »

Q: How can I stay stable in awareness?

NM:  You know you are. That itself is awareness.  If you think that you have to be aware, then it becomes an experiential state.
You want to experience something. Don't recognize your body as yourself. That is all right for your bodily worldly affairs,
identifying with the body, but when you have to understand yourself, don't understand that you are the body. You have
the knowledge I AM. That itself means you.

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 16, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »

*Questioner:* We are advised to worship reality personified as God, or as the Perfect Man. We are told not to attempt the worship of the Absolute, as it is much too difficult for a brain centred consciousness.

*Maharaj:* Truth is simple and open to all. Why do you complicate? Truth is loving and lovable. It includes all, accepts all, purifies all. It is untruth that is difficult and a source of trouble. It always wants, expects, demands. Being false, it is empty, always in search of confirmation and reassurance. It is afraid of and avoids enquiry. It identifies itself with any support, however weak and momentary. Whatever it gets, it loses and asks for more. Therefore put no faith in the conscious. Nothing you can see, feel, or think is so. Even sin and virtue, merit and demerit are not what they appear. Usually the bad and the good are a matter of convention and custom and are shunned or welcomed, according to how the words are used.

*Q:*   Are there not good desires and bad, high desires and low?

*M:*  All desires are bad, but some are worse than others. Pursue any desire, it will always give you trouble.

*Q:*   Even the desire to be free of desire?

*M:*  Why desire at all? Desiring a state of freedom from desire will not set you free. Nothing can set you free, because you are free. See yourself with desireless clarity, that is all.

*Q:*   It takes time to know oneself.

*M:*  How can time help you? Time is a succession of moments; each moment appears out of nothing and disappears into nothing, never to reappear. How can you build on something so fleeting?

*Q:*   What is permanent?

*M:*  Look to yourself for the permanent. Dive deep within and find what is real in you.

*Q:*   How to look for myself?

*M:*  Whatever happens, it happens to you. What you do, the doer is in you. Find the subject of all that you are as a person.

*Q:*   What else can I be?

*M:*  Find out. Even if I tell you that you are the witness, the silent watcher, it will mean nothing to you, unless you find the way to your own being.