Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176678 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #375 on: March 05, 2013, 04:58:27 AM »

Now, let what happens just happen. Let whatever was going, go, the last doubt is eradicated. We have to live a few days. Let us pass the days playfully in joy, then let this body die on a bed or on the ground. Wherever the diamond is placed it is sure to shine. It may be in one's hand or on one's neck. This supreme Self in the form of Reality will likewise remain happy whatever the situation. The conviction should not shake. If the conviction is steadfast on Truth, then even on the path of knowledge, strength can be gained.

Siddharameshwar Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 05, 2013, 05:09:11 AM »

Nothing you do will change you, for you need no change. You may change your mind or your body, but it is always something external to you that has changed, not yourself. Why bother at all to change? Realize once for all that neither your body nor your mind, nor even your consciousness is yourself and stand alone in your true nature beyond consciousness and unconsciousness. No effort can take you there, only the clarity of understanding.

If you are earnest, you will find that in the end you will get fed up with roaming and regret the waste of energy and time. To find your self you need not take a single step.

The self-styled gurus talk of ripeness and effort, of merits and achievements, of destiny and grace; all these are mere mental formations, projections of an addicted mind. Instead of helping, they obstruct.

Do not rush into activity. Neither learning nor action can really help.

It is not what you do, but what you stop doing that matters.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 05, 2013, 05:14:03 AM »

Action does not lead to perfection;

Perfection is expressed in action.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 05, 2013, 09:51:45 PM »

All change affects the mind only. To be what you are, you must go beyond the mind, into your own being. It is immaterial what is the mind that you leave behind, provided you leave it behind for good. This again is not possible without self-realization. Self-realization definitely comes first. The mind cannot go beyond itself by itself. It must explode. The explosive power comes from the real. But you are well advised to have your mind ready for it. 

A level of maturity is reached when nothing external is of any value, and the heart is ready to relinquish all. Then the real has a chance and it grasps it. Delays, if any, are caused by the mind being unwilling to see or discard.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 05, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »

""It is not the worship of the person that is crucial, but the steadiness and depth of your devotion to the task. Remember, wonder, ponder, live with it, love it, grow into it, grow with it, make it your own - the word of your Guru, outer or inner. Put in all and you will get all. I was doing it. All my time I was giving to my Guru and to what he told me...It is easy, if you are earnest...When you are concerned with truth, with reality, you must question every thing, your very life. By asserting the necessity of sensory and intellectual experience you narrow down your inquiry to search for comfort...Question every urge, hold no desire legitimate. Empty of possession, physical and mental, free of all self-concern, be open for discovery...Have your Guru always in your heart and remember his instructions - this is real abidance with the true.""

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 06, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »

Q: How well I understand you now !  Before my stay at Sri Ramanasramam, I was tyrannized by conscience, always sitting
in judgement over myself. Now I am completely relaxed, fully accepting myself as I am. When I return to the States, I shall
take life as it comes, as Bhagavan's grace, and enjoy the bitter along with the sweet. This is one of the things I have understood
at the Asramam, -- to trust Sri Bhagavan. I was not like this before. I could not trust.

NM:  TRUSTING Bhagavan is trusting yourself.  Be aware that whatever happens, happens for you, by you, through you,
that you are the Creator, enjoyer, and destroyer of all you perceive and you will not be afraid.  Unafraid , you will not be
unhappy, nor will you seek happiness.

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #381 on: March 06, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 07, 2013, 01:01:35 AM »
How can an unsteady mind make itself steady? Of course it cannot. It is the nature of the mind to roam about. All you can do is to shift the focus of consciousness beyond the mind.

Leave your mind alone, that is all. Don't go along with it. After all, there is no such thing as mind apart from thoughts which come and go obeying their own laws, not yours. They dominate you only because you are interested in them.

It is the mind that tells you that the mind is there. Don't be deceived. All the endless arguments about the mind are produced by the mind itself, for its own protection, continuation and expansion. It is the blank refusal to consider the convolutions and convulsions of the mind that can take you beyond it. (321) 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 07, 2013, 01:45:17 AM »
Having never left the house you are asking for the way home. Get rid of wrong ideas, that is all. Collecting right ideas also will take you nowhere. Just cease imagining. Don't try to understand! Enough if you do not misunderstand. Don't rely on your mind for liberation. It is the mind that brought you into bondage. Go beyond it altogether. 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 07, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »

Whatever is created is created by the knowledge ‘I am’, there is no other path,
only this conviction. This is it! The name and body arise from the ‘I am’.
First you have to develop the understanding that the knowledge ‘I am’ is the creator of everything.
This includes your name and form, both are products of the ‘I am’. You must develop the
thorough understanding that, yes, this is it – the ‘I am’ is the beginning and the end of everything.
Then, once you have the understanding, you have to abide in the ‘I am’ or constantly meditate on it.
This abidance is done to make your understanding a certitude or conviction that is unassailable.
This is the only way out; there is no other path.

Abiding in the ‘I am’ (which is God) you won’t want to leave it, and then it won’t leave you!
The indwelling knowledge ‘I am’ is the God, or divinity in you. First you must try to understand it
very clearly without any doubts whatsoever. And if you have understood it correctly, you will not want
to leave for even a moment. If you feel a sense of reverence and love for this ‘I am’ it a sure sign
 that you have understood it. Then this divinity, or God will hold on to you and not let you go!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 07, 2013, 11:15:24 PM »

The ‘I am’ is there even without your saying so. Once you understand the ‘I am’,
there is nothing further to understand. The knowledge ‘I am’ is ever there, residing in all at all times.
Not a single thing exists which is devoid of the ‘I am’. It expresses itself through the five elements and three qualities.
As the combination of the elements and qualities is, so the expression of ‘I am’. This expression could be good
or bad depending on the combination, but the ‘I am’ itself stands in its purity. Understanding the ‘I am’
is the very basis of the teaching, that done, there remains nothing further to be understood.
What follows hereafter is the ‘Sadhana’ (practice), which is the meditation on the ‘I am’. Your earnestness,
sincerity and intensity of the practice will determine further progress.

When you are established in the ‘I am’ there are no thoughts or words, you are everything and everything is you;
later even that goes. As your ‘Sadhana’ (practice) matures, your conviction grows stronger and you get firmly
established in the ‘I am’. That is to say, you are permanently established in the ‘Turiya’ or the fourth state.
In this state there are no thoughts or words, everywhere there is only the ‘I am’, you are everything and everything is you.
When you abide thus, the stage is set for your transcending the ‘I am’. Ultimately that too goes, leaving you as the
Absolute or ‘Parabrahman’.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 08, 2013, 10:10:49 AM »

Q:  I have met many realized people, but never a liberated man.  Have you come across a liberated man, or does liberation
mean, among other things, also abandoning the body?

NM:  What do you mean by realization and liberation?

Q: By realization,  I mean a wonderful experience of peace, goodness and beauty, when the world makes sense and there is an all
pervading unity of both substance and essence.  While such experience does not last, it cannot be forgotten.  It shines in the
mind, both memory and longing.  I know what I am talking abut, for I have had such experiences.

By liberation,  I mean to be permanently in that wonderful state. What I am asking is, whether liberation is compatible with the
survival of the body?

NM:   What is wrong with the body?

Q: The body is so weak and short lived.  It creates needs and cravings.  It limits one grievously.

NM: So what?  Let the physical expressions be limited.  But liberation is of the self from its false and self imposed ideas. It is
not contained in some particular experience, however glorious.

Q: Does it last for ever?

NM: All experience is time bound.  Whatever has a beginning must have an end.

Q: So liberation, in my sense of the word, does not exist?

NM:  On the contrary, one is always free. You are, both conscious and free to be conscious.  Nobody can take this away
from you. Do you ever know yourself non existing, or unconscious?".... What is wrong with being, knowing, and acting effortlessly
and happily?  Why consider it so unusual as to expect the immediate destruction of the body?  What is wrong with the body that
it should die?

Arunachala Siva.                 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 08, 2013, 10:44:30 PM »

The ‘I am’ is observed by the Absolute, it has no senses or eyes, witnessing just happens.
When you get stabilized in the ‘I am’ a moment comes when you stand apart from it. The ‘I am’ is
observed or witnessed by the Absolute and this occurs without the senses or the eyes.
This witnessing just happens, the ‘I am’ quite spontaneously appears on the Absolute.
As the ‘I am’ departs, the Absolute remains.

I am introducing you to your ‘I am’. The first stage is to meditate on the ‘I am’ and stabilize in it.
This is what the Guru has been doing all the while: he has tried to make you understand the knowledge
‘I am’ in every possible manner. He has even gone to the extent of saying that if you don’t understand
then just worship it as the God in you. After the Guru introduces you to your ‘I am’, he asks you to
meditate on it, which helps you get stabilized in the ‘I am’. Then the stage is set for your transcending it.

Carry the conviction in yourself that the knowledge ‘I am’ within you is God. Many, many seekers come to the Guru’s doorstep.
He gives one look and knows who is what, so depending on the capabilities of the seeker, he expounds the teaching to him accordingly.
There are those who have been around for some while and have understood a bit. Now, as they depart, they ask for some last
parting words that may stand them in good stead when they go. He tells them to carry the conviction that the knowledge ‘I am’
within is God and live by it, that’s all.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 09, 2013, 02:17:58 PM »

Q: I am becoming more aware of my "I AM-ness" as a product of the food body.

NM:  You must be that principle prior to the emanation of the word  "I".  Suppose I get a prick here -- that principle prior
to the emanation of words knows that there was a prick.  Prior to words and feelings, you are.

Q: How is it possible to know and feet that Absolute?

NM: This knowingness, or understanding, is in the realm of consciousness.  Whatever you say that you know and feel is
consciousnessx only.  The Absolute is beyond this.

Q: In practice, how can we go further?

NM: Deal with consciousness only, get to know it thoroughly. That is all that can be done. Later on, everything happens
spontaneously, doership goes.

Know the inside-out of consciousness and recognize it as useless. It is a fraud.  When you transcend it, you will say, "I can
manage without this. This is imperfect !  Therefore, meditate in order to know the consciousness.

Q: I have never been able to meditate.

NM: When you were unaware of this message of "I AM", how did you function? The questions I put, nobody can answer.
All of you are great scholars, people with a lot of knowledge, have gone into quietude.

Q: My questions are answered.

NM:  When your problems are solved, you are solved.  I want you to dwell on that borderline of consciousness, no-consciousness.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 10, 2013, 02:58:51 AM »

Just look away from all that happens in your mind and bring it to the feeling "I am". The "I am" is not a direction. It is the negation of all direction. Ultimately even the "I am" will have to go, for you need not keep on asserting what is obvious. Bringing the mind to the feeling "I am" merely helps in turning the mind away from everyting else. When the mind is kept away from its preoccupations, it becomes quiet. If you do not disturb this quiet and stay in it, you find that it is permeated with a light and a love you have never known; and yet you recognize it at one as your own nature. Once you have passed through this experience, you will never be the same man again; the unruly mind may break its peace and obliterate its vision; but it is bound to return, provided the effort is sustained; until the day when 
all bonds are broken, delusions and attachments end, and life becomes supremely concentrated in the present.