Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 177187 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2013, 12:12:15 AM »
* Why not turn away from the experience to the experiencer and realise the full import of the only true statement you can make: "I am"?

To you, you get born and die, while to me the world appears and disappears. You see yourself in the world, while I see the world in myself. You cling to the idea that you were born into a world of pain and sorrow; I know that the world is a child of love.

Harmony between the inner and the outer is happiness. On the other hand, self-identification with the outer causes suffering.

At the root of everything is the feeling "I am". The state of mind, "There is a world" is secondary, for to be I do not need the world, the world needs me.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2013, 06:55:53 PM »
The knowledge ‘I am’, without memories and concepts, is everything. The idea ‘I am the body and mind’ is not that knowledge. No effort is required, the main thing is that ‘you are’ (or ‘I am’) when you listen to me and stay there, you’ll understand that the knowledge ‘I am’ is independent of body-mind.

Manifested Brahma is the ‘I am’, whatever principle is prior to the utterance of sound, that principle proclaims by itself. What I insists is that you must stabilize is that state. The recitation of the mantra ‘So Hum’ must be for a very long time, it is prior to words. When that ‘So Hum’ principle, is pleased, that principle, represented by these words, expounds knowledge.

What do you mean by ‘I am’ or the feeling of ‘you are’? All the names relate to the ‘I amness’, Atman also is its name. If there is no ‘I amness’, whose names can these all be? You cannot say this and that consciousness, your consciousness is your world only. To fully understand and realize all this, do meditation. That sound, the humming ‘I am’, is the Ishwara sound. It is a reminder that, you are God, but your reject the soundless sound by identifying with the body. On your own authority, in absence of the ‘I am’ principle, what can you do?

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 25, 2013, 07:45:31 PM »
The life force [prana] and the mind are operating [of their own accord], but the mind will tempt you to believe that it is "you". Therefore understand always that you are the timeless spaceless witness
. And even if the mind tells you that you are the one who is acting, don't believe the mind. [...] The apparatus [mind, body] which is functioning has come upon your original essence, but you are not that apparatius.

"Truth is not a reward for good behaviour, nor a prize for passing some tests. It cannot be brought about. It is the primary, the unborn, the ancient source of all that is. You are eligible because you are. You need not merit truth. It is your own. Just stop running away by running after. Stand still, be quiet.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »
"Please understand that there is only one thing to be understood,
and that is that you are the formless, timeless unborn."

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 09:01:30 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »

Q; when an ordinary man dies, what happens to him?

NM: According to his belief it happens. As life before death is but imagination, so is life after. The dream continues..

Q: And what about a Jnani ?

NM: A Jnani does not die because he was never born!

Q: He appears so to others.

NM: But not to himself. In himself he is free of things --- physical and mental.

Q: Still you must know the state of man who died. At least from your own past lives.

NM: Until I met my Guru I knew so many things.  Now I know nothing, for all knowledge is in a dream only and not valid. I know
myself and i find no life nor death for me, only pure being -- not being this or that, but just being. But the moment the mind, drawing
on its stock of memories, begins to imagine, it fills the space with objects and time with events. As I do not know even this birth,'
how can I know past births? It is the mind that, itself in movement, sees everything moving, and having created time, worries over the
past and future. All the universe is cradled in consciousness (mahat tattva), which arises where there is perfect order and harmony
(maha sattva).  As all waves are in the ocean, so are all things physical and mental in awareness. Hence awareness itself is all
important, not the content of it. Deepen and broaden your awareness of yourself and all the blessings will flow.  You need not seek
anything, all will come to you most naturally and effortlessly.

Arunachala Siva.                   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
Q: I can see that my world is subjective. Does it make it also illusory?

M: It is illusory as long as it is subjective and to that extent only. Reality lies in objectivity.

Q: What does objectivity mean? You said the world is subjective and now you talk of objectivity. Is not everything subjective?

M: Everything is subjective, but the real is objective.

Q: In what sense?

M: It does not depend on memories and expectations, desires and fears, likes and dislikes. All is seen as it is.

Q: Is it the same as the Great Expanse (paramakash)?

M: You may call it so. Words do not matter, for they do not reach it. They turn back in utternegation.

Q: How can I see the world as God? What does it mean to see the world as God?

M: It is like entering a dark room. You see nothing -- you may touch, but you do not see -- no colours, no outlines. The window opens and the room is flooded with light. Colours and shapes come into being. The window is the giver of light, but not the source of it. The sun is the source. Similarly, matter is like the dark room; consciousness -- the window -- flooding matter with sensations and perceptions, and the Supreme is the sun the source both of matter and of light. The window may be closed, or open, the sun shines all the time. It makes all the difference to the room, but none to the sun. Yet all this is secondary to the tiny little thing which is the 'I am'. Without the 'I am' there is nothing. All knowledge is about the 'I am'. False ideas about this 'I am' lead to bondage, right knowledge leads to freedom and happiness.

Q: People talk of seeing God.

M: When you see the world you see God. There is no seeing God, apart from the world. Beyond the world to see God is to be God. The light by which you see the world, which is God is the tiny little spark: 'I am', apparently so small, yet the first and the last in every act of knowing and loving.

M: It is because your outer eyes are better than your inner eyes. Your mind is all turned outward. As you learn to watch your mental world, you will find it even more colourful and perfect than what the body can provide. Of course, you will need some training. But why argue? You imagine that the picture must come from the painter who actually painted it. All the time you look for origins and causes. Causality is in the mind, only; memory gives the illusion of continuity and repetitiveness creates the idea of causality. When things repeatedly happen together, we tend to see a causal link between them. It creates a mental habit, but a habit is not a necessity.

Q: How do you look at the world?

M: I see a painter painting a picture. The picture I call the world, the painter I call God. I am neither. I do not create, nor am I created. I contain all, nothing contains me.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 27, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »
NM:  All the universe of experience is born with the body and dies with the body.  It has its beginning and end in awareness.
But awareness knows no beginning, nor end. If you think it out, carefully, and brood over it for a long time, you will come to
see the light of awareness in all its clarity and the world will fade away out of your vision. It is like looking at a burning incense
stick; you see the stick, and the smoke first; when you notice the fiery point, you realize that it has the power to consume
mountains of sticks and fill the universe with smoke.

Timelessly, the self actualizes itself, without exhausting its infinite possibilities. In the incense stick simile, the stick is the body
and the smoke is the mind. As long as the mind is busy with its contortions, it does not perceive its own source. The guru comes
and turns your attention to the spark within. By its very nature the mind is turned outward; it always tends to seek for the source
of things among the things themselves; to be told to look for the source within, is, in a way, the beginning of life.

Arunachala Siva.           

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
The greatest miracle is that you got the news ‘I am’. It’s self-evident.
Prior to knowing that ‘you are’ what knowledge did you have?
Remember that moment when you first came to know that ‘you are’ or ‘I am’.
Almost instantly space also came along with it and soon you had the
feeling ‘I am in this world’. Just observe the power of this news ‘I am’ that you got,
is it not a miracle that it created the world, which you believe you are living in?
Before the arrival of the ‘I am’ did you know anything? Or rather, before the news ‘I am’
came did you need to know anything? Knowledge was not required because you were,
and even now, you are knowledge itself!
Meditation means to have an objective or hold onto something. You are that something.
Just being the being ‘I am’. Meditation means to ponder or have your attention focused on some object,
image or ‘mantra’. You do so till what you have held in meditation disappears, or you can say you
the ‘subject’ and the ‘object’ merge into a unity. When you ‘just be’ or are in the knowledge ‘I am’ only,
you are both the subject and the object of meditation. It is the ‘being meditating on “being”’
and as a result both cancel out each other and what remains ultimately is the Absolute.
It is not with the body identification that you should sit for meditation.
It is the knowledge ‘I am’ that is meditating on itself. True meditation only begins when initially,
using your discrimination, you cut off everything that does not go with the ‘I am’- which includes the
body-mind identification, which is the major obstacle.
You should not have the feeling ‘I am so and-so meditating’ or ‘I am sitting at this particular place,
in this posture, meditating on…’ all these externalities must go. It should be only the
knowledge ‘I am’ that should be meditating on itself. It is only when the purity of ‘I am’ is
maintained in meditation that there is a chance that it will disappear.
When this ‘I am’ or conscious presence merges in itself and disappears
the state of ‘Samadhi’ ensues. You should be completely engulfed by the ‘I am’ or your conscious presence.
In every way, in all directions, at all times the knowledge ‘I am’ must be infused into you.
When you do this with earnestness and a tremendous intensity, the ‘I am’
merges into itself and disappears, When this happens it said that the state of ‘Samadhi’ ensues.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 28, 2013, 05:59:37 PM »
Q: I may not remember but that does not disprove my being occasionally unconscious.

NM: Why not turn away from the experience to the experiencer and realize the full import of the only true statement you can
make -- I AM.   

Q: How is it done?

NM: There is now 'how' here.  Just keep in mind the feeling I AM, merge in it, till your mind and feeling become one.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
You can observe the observation, but not the observer. You know you are the ultimate observer by direct insight, not by a logical process based on observation. You are what you are, but you know what you are not. The self is known as being, the not-self is known as transient. But in reality all is in the mind. The observed, observation and observer are mental constructs. The self alone is.

The self is universal and its aims are universal. There is nothing personal about the self.

The source of consciousness cannot be an object in consciousness. To know the source is to be the source. When you realize that you are not the person, but the pure and calm witness, and that fearless awareness is your very being, you are the being. It is the source, the inexhaustible Possibility.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 28, 2013, 08:59:10 PM »
Do realize that it is not you who moves from dream to dream, but the dreams flow before you, and you are the immutable witness. No happening affects your real being - that is the absolute truth.

The witness is not a person. The person comes into being when there is a basis for it, an organism, a body. In it, the absolute is reflected as awareness. Pure awareness becomes self-awareness. When there is a self, self-awareness is the witness. When there is no self to witness, there is no witnessing either. It is all very simple; it is the presence of the person that complicates. See that there is no such thing as a permanently separate person and all becomes clear. Awareness, mind, matter - they are one reality in its two aspects as immovable and movable, and the three attributes of inertia, energy and harmony. Awareness becomes consciousness when it has an object. The object changes all the time. In consciousness there is movement; awareness by itself is motionless and timeless, here and now.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2013, 03:10:45 AM »

I am conscious and unconscious, both conscious and unconscious, neither conscious nor unconscious - to all this I am witness, but really there is no witness, because there is nothing to be a witness to. I am perfectly empty of all mental formations, void of mind, yet fully aware. This I try to express by saying that I am beyond the mind.

When you realize that all is in your mind and that you are beyond the mind, that you are truly alone, then all is you.

When you go beyond awareness, there is a state of non-duality, in which there is no cognition, only pure being, which may be as well called non-being, if by being you mean being something in particular. 

Your true home is in nothingness, in emptiness of all content.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2013, 09:46:00 PM »
Discontinuity is the law when you deal with the concrete. The continuous cannot be experienced, for it has no borders. Consciousness implies alterations, change following change, when one thing or state comes to an end and another begins; that which has no borderline cannot be experienced in the common meaning of the word. One can only be it, without knowing, but one can know what it is not. It is definitely not the entire content of consciousness which is always on the move. To realize the immovable means to become immovable. I am talking of immovability, not of immobility. You become immovable in righteousness. You become a power which gets all things right. It may or may not imply intense outward activity, but the mind remains deep and quiet.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:59 PM »
Who are you? Don't go by formulas. The answer is not in words. The nearest you can say in words is: I am what makes perception possible, the life beyond the experiencer and his experience.

My feeling is that all that happens in space and time happens to me, that every experience is my experience, every form is my form. What I take myself to be becomes my body, and all that happens to that body becomes my mind. But at the root of the universe there is pure awareness, beyond space and time, here and now. Know it to be your real being and act accordingly.

At the root of my being is pure awareness, a speck of intense light. This speck, by its very nature, radiates and creates pictures in space and events in time - effortlessly and spontaneously. As long as it is merely aware, there are no problems. But when the discriminative mind comes into being and creates distinctions, pleasure and pain arise. During sleep the mind is in abeyance and so are pain and pleasure. The process of creation continues, but no notice is taken. The mind is a form of consciousness, and
consciousness is an aspect of life. Life creates everything, but the Supreme is beyond all.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:09:16 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2013, 09:25:38 PM »

In reality only the Ultimate is. The rest is a matter of name and form. And as long as you cling to the idea that only what has a name and shape exists, the Supreme will appear to you non-existing. When you understand that names and shapes are hollow shells without any content whatsoever, and what is real is nameless and shapeless, pure energy of life and light of consciousness, you will be at peace -immersed in the deep silence of reality.

The Supreme State is universal, here and now; everybody already shares in it. It is the state of being, knowing and liking. Who does not like to be, or does not know his own existence? But we take no advantage of this joy of being conscious, we do not go into it and purify it of all that is foreign to it.

The real is simple, open, clear and kind, beautiful and joyous. It is completely free of contradictions. It is ever new, ever fresh, endlessly creative. Being and non-being, life and death, all distinctions merge in it.

[It is] single, simple, indivisible and unperceivable, except in its manifestations. Not unkowable, but unperceivable, un-objectival, inseparable. Neither material nor mental, neither objective nor subjective, it is the root of matter and the source of consciousness. Beyond mere living and dying, it is the all-inclusive, all-exclusive Life, in which birh is death and death is birth.