Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176368 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #345 on: February 14, 2013, 04:14:25 PM »
"The moment one becomes predictable, one cannot be free. Ones freedom lies in being free to fulfill the need of the moment, to obey the necessity of the situation. Freedom to do what one likes is really bondage, while being free to do what one must, what is right, is real freedom."

"The world is the adobe of desires and fears. You cannot find peace in it. For peace you must go beyond the world. The root cause of the world is self-love. Because of it we seek pleasure and avoid pain." 

"The very idea of going beyond the dream is illusory. Why go anywhere? Just realize that you are dreaming a dream you call the world, and stop looking for ways out. The dream is not your problem. Your problem is that you like one part of the dream and not another. When you have seen the dream as a dream, you have done all that needs be done."

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 14, 2013, 04:39:31 PM »

Q: You smoke?

NM: My body kept a few habits which may as well continue till it dies. There is no harm in them.

Q: You eat meat?

NM: I was born among meat-eating people and my children are eating meat. I eat very little --- and make no fuss.

Q: Meat eating implies killing.

NM: Obviously. I make no claims of consistency. You  think absolute consistency is possible; prove it by example. Do not what you
do not practice.

Coming back to the idea of having been born. You are struck with what your parents told you. All about conception, pregnancy
and birth, infant, child, youngster, teenager, and so on. Now, divest yourself of the idea that you are body. It is also an idea,
no doubt;  treat it like something to be abandoned when its work is done. The idea that I am not the body gives reality to the
body, when there is nothing as body. It is but a state of mind. You can have as many bodies and as diverse as you like. Just
remember steadily what you want and reject the incompatibles. 

Arunachala Siva.               

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2013, 11:14:12 PM »
I am experiencing the manifest world but prior to it I experience the ‘Bindu’, the point. When I am that Bindu, everything is, the world also is. The Bindu and the world are not two. ‘Bin’ means without and ‘du’ means two, so, no duality. Bindu – the point of ‘I amness’, I experience that. What is it? It is the very experience of the five elements and the three gunas – the whole universe. That is my intimate relationship with that ‘I am’ only – Bindu only.

Whatever activities happen, happen only because of your ‘I amness’. They make no impression on the ‘I amness’. Judgements like good or bad are aspects of the mind, but if you are one with that ‘I amness’, then at that stage the mind is not there.

The ‘I amness’ together with the vital breath appear spontaneously when the body is created. The vital breath and food body are necessary to sustain the ‘I amness’. When the food body is dropped by the vital breath the ‘I amness’ disappears. Where does the flame go when it is extinguished? The same thing applies to the ‘I amness’.

Who is it that needs to understand this the most, the knowledge that ‘I am’? If you listen carefully and imbibe the principles, you will get rid of this body-mind sense and dwell only in the ‘I amness’ (Beingness). In order to know the link between ‘I am’ and ‘I am not’, hold on only to the ‘I amness’ without words, ‘just be’. When hailed, you respond, there is somebody within you that becomes aware of the call and the need to respond. That being is the ‘I am’ and he has been there even before that awareness appeared.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 16, 2013, 03:44:01 PM »
Q: What is meditation and what are its uses?

NM: As long as you are a beginner certain formalized meditations or prayers may be good for you. But for a seeker for Reality,
there is only one meditation --- the rigorous refusal to harbor thoughts. To be free from thoughts is itself meditation.

Q: How is it done?

NM:  You begin by letting thoughts flow and watching them. The very observation slows down the mind till it stops altogether.
Once the mind is quiet, keep it quiet,  Do not get bored with peace, be in it, and go deeper into it.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2013, 08:19:19 PM »
Q: Surely, I am not the master of what happens. Its slave rather.
M: Be neither master, nor slave. Stand aloof.
Q: Does it imply avoidance of action?
M: You cannot avoid action. It happens, like everything else.
Q: My actions, surely, I can control.
M: Try. You will soon see that you do what you must.
Q: I can act according to my will.
M: You know your will only after you have acted.
Q: I remember my desires, the choices made, the decisions taken and act accordingly.
M: Then your memory decides, not you.
Q: Where do I come in?
M: You make it possible by giving it attention.
Q: Is there no such thing as free will? Am I not free to desire?
M: Oh no. You are compelled to desire. In Hinduism the very idea of free will is non-existent, so there is no word for it. Will is commitment, fixation, bondage.
Q: I am free to choose my limitations.
M: You must be free first. To be free in the world you must be free of the world. Otherwise your past decides for you and your future. Between what had happened and what must happen you are caught. Call it destiny or karma, but never—freedom. First return to your true being and then act from the heart of love.
Q: Within the manifested what is the stamp of the unmanifested?
M: There is none. The moment you begin to look for the stamp of the unmanifested, the manifested dissolves. If you try to understand the unmanifested wtih the mind, you at once go beyond the mind, like when you stir the fire with a wooden stick, you burn the stick. Use the mind to investigate the manifested. Be like the chick that pecks at the shell. Speculating about life outside the shell would have been of little use to it, but pecking at the shell breaks the shell from within and liberates the chick. Similarly, break the mind from within by investigation and exposure of its contradictions and absurdities.
Q: The longing to break the shell, where does it come from?
M: From the unmanifested.  

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: February 17, 2013, 02:18:36 PM »
Dear Jewell,

This is one of the finest conversations of Nisargadatta Maharaj. Thanks for posting this.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 17, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
*Question:* The Absolute or Life you talk about, is it real, or a mere theory to cover up our ignorance?

*Nisargadatta:* Both. To the mind, a theory; in itself – a Reality. It is Reality in its spontaneous and total rejection of the false. Just as light destroys darkness by its very presence, so does the Absolute destroy imagination. To see that all-knowledge is a form of ignorance is itself a movement of Reality. The witness is not a person. The person comes into being when there is a basis for it, an organism, a body. In it the Absolute is reflected as awareness. Pure awareness becomes self-awareness. When there is a self, self-awareness is the witness. When there is no self to witness, there is no witnessing either. It is all very simple; it is the presence of the person that complicates. See that there is no such thing as a permanently separate person and all becomes clear. Awareness – mind – matter – they are one Reality in its two aspects as immovable and movable, and the three attributes of inertia, energy and harmony.

*Question: *What comes first: consciousness or awareness?

*Nisargadatta:* Awareness becomes consciousness when it has an object. The object changes all the time. In consciousness there is movement; awareness by itself is motionless and timeless, here and now.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 17, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »
*Look at the net and its many contradictions. You do and undo at every step. You want peace, love, happiness and work hard to create pain, hatred and war. You want longevity and overeat, you want friendship and exploit. See your net as made of such contradictions and remove them – your very seeing will make them go.

How do you go about finding anything? By keeping your mind and heart on it. Interest there must be and steady remembrance. To remember what needs to be remembered is the secret of success. You come to it through earnestness.

What is supremely important is to be free from contradictions: the goal and the way must not be on different levels; life and light must not quarrel; behaviour must not betray belief. Call it honesty, integrity, wholeness; you must not go back, undo, uproot, abandon the conquered ground. Tenacity of purpose and honesty in pursuit will bring you to your goal.

I do not believe in spiritual paths. The purpose of spiritual paths is to enmesh you in the world of knowledge, while Reality resides prior to it. All spiritual paths lead to unreality. Discard all paths.*
 We know the outer world of sensations and actions, but of our inner world of thoughts and feelings we know very little. The primary purpose of meditation is to become conscious of, and familiar with, our inner life. The ultimate purpose is to reach the source of life and consciousness. Incidentally, practice of meditation affects deeply our character. We are slaves to what we do not know; of what we know we are masters. Whatever vice or weakness in ourselves we discover and understand its causes and its workings, we overcome it by the very knowing; the unconscious dissolves when brought into the conscious. The dissolution of the unconscious releases energy; the mind feels adequate and becomes quiet.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 19, 2013, 01:55:56 AM »
*Question:* You were told by your Guru that you are the Supreme and you trusted him and acted on it. What gave you this trust?

*Nisargadatta:* Say, I was just reasonable. It would have been foolish to distrust him. What interest could he possibly have in misleading me?

*Question: *How does one find the faith in a Guru?

*Nisargadatta:* To find the Guru and also the trust in him is rare luck. It does not happen often.

*Question:* Is it destiny that ordains?

*Nisargadatta:* Calling it destiny explains little. When it happens you cannot say why it happens and you merely cover up your ignorance by calling it karma or grace, or God's will.

*Question:* Why do we need a Guru?

*Nisargadatta:* Somebody must tell you about the supreme Reality and the way that leads to it. Most of the so-called disciples do not trust their Gurus; they disobey them and finally abandon them. For such disciples it would have been infinitely better if they had no Guru at all and just looked within for guidance. To find a living Guru is a rare opportunity and a great responsibility. One should not treat these matters lightly. You people are out to buy yourself the heaven and you imagine that the Guru will supply it for a price. You seek to strike a bargain by offering little but asking much. You cheat nobody except yourselves.

*Question:* You say that we are the same, that we are equals. I cannot believe it. Since I do not believe it, of what use is your statement to me?

*Nisargadatta:* Your disbelief does not matter. My words are true and they will do their work. This is the beauty of noble company [satsang].

*Question:* Some disciples are ready, mature, and some are not. Must not the Guru exercise choice and make decisions?

*Nisargadatta:* The Guru knows the Ultimate and relentlessly propels the disciple towards It. The disciple is full of obstacles, which he himself must overcome. The Guru is not very much concerned with the superficialities of the disciple's life. It is like gravitation The fruit must fall – when no longer held back.

*Question:* If the disciple does not know the goal, how can he make out the obstacles?

*Nisargadatta:* The goal is shown by the Guru, obstacles are discovered by the disciple. The Guru has no preferences, but those who have obstacles to overcome seem to be lagging behind.

In reality the disciple is not different from the Guru. He is the same dimensionless centre of perception and love in action. It is only his imagination and self-identification with the imagined, that encloses him and converts him into a person. The Guru is concerned little with the person. His attention is on the inner watcher. It is the task of the watcher to understand and thereby eliminate the person. While there is grace on one side, there must be dedication to the task on the other.

*Question:* But the person does not want to be eliminated.

*Nisargadatta:* The person is merely the result of a misunderstanding. In reality, there is no such thing. Feelings, thoughts and actions race before the watcher in endless succession, leaving traces in the brain and creating an illusion of continuity. A reflection of the watcher in the mind creates the sense of 'I' and the person acquires an apparently independent existence. In reality there is no person, only the watcher identifying himself with the 'I' and the 'mine'. The teacher tells the watcher: you are not this, there is nothing of yours in this, except the little point of "I am", which is the bridge between the watcher and his dream. "I am this, I am that" is dream, while pure "I am" has the stamp of Reality on it. You have tasted so many things – all came to naught. Only the sense "I am" persisted – unchanged. Stay with the changeless among the changeful, until you are able to go beyond.

*Question:* When will it happen?

*Nisargadatta:* It will happen as soon as you remove the obstacles.

*Question:* Which obstacles?

*Nisargadatta:* Desire for the false and fear of the true. You, as the person, imagine that the Guru is interested in you as a person. Not at all. To him you are a nuisance and a hindrance to be done away with. He actually aims at your elimination as a factor in consciousness.

*Question:* If I am eliminated, what will remain?

*Nisargadatta:* Nothing will remain, all will remain. The sense of identity will remain, but no longer identification with a particular body. Being awareness, love will shine in full splendour. Liberation is never of the person, it is always from the person.

*Question:* And no trace remains of the person?

*Nisargadatta:* A vague memory remains, like the memory of a dream, or early childhood. After all, what is there to remember? A flow of events, mostly accidental and meaningless. A sequence of desires and fears and inane blunders. Is there anything worth remembering? The person is but a shell imprisoning you. Break the shell.

*Question:* Whom are you asking to break the shell? Who is to break the shell?

*Nisargadatta:* Break the bonds of memory and self-identification and the shell will break by itself. There is a centre that imparts reality to whatever it perceives. All you need is to understand that you are the source of reality, that you give reality instead of getting it, that you need no support and no confirmation. Things are as they are, because you accept them as they are. Stop accepting them and they will dissolve. Whatever you think about with desire or fear appears before you as real. Look at it without desire or fear and it does lose substance. Pleasure and pain are momentary. It is simpler and easier to disregard them than to act on them.

*Question:* If all things come to an end, why did they appear at all?

*Nisargadatta:* Creation is in the very nature of consciousness. Consciousness causes appearances. Reality is beyond consciousness.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 19, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »

Q: The absence of experience is due to inattention. It reappears with attention. Closing one's eyes, does not disprove light.
Attributing reality to negative states will not take us far. The very negation contains an affirmation.

NM: In a way you are right.  But don't you see, you are asking for the proof of truth, without explaining what is the truth, you have
in mind and what proof will satisfy you? You can prove anything, provided you trust your proof. But what will prove that your proof
is true?  I can easily drive into an admission that you know only that you exist --- that you are the only proof you can have of
anything. But I do not identify mere existence with reality. Existence is momentary, always in time and space while Reality is
changeless and all pervading.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 19, 2013, 08:05:26 PM »
*Question:* My own spiritual experience has its seasons. Sometimes I feel glorious, then again I am down. I am like a little boy – going up, going down, going up, going down.

*Nisargadatta:* All changes in consciousness are due to the "I am the body" idea. Divested of this idea the mind becomes steady. There is pure being, free of experiencing anything in particular. But to realise it you must do what your teacher tells you. Mere listening, even memorising, is not enough. If you do not struggle hard to apply every word of it in your daily life, don't complain that you made no progress. All real progress is irreversible. Ups and downs merely show that the teaching has not been taken to heart and translated into action fully.

*Question:* The other day you told us that there is no such thing as karma. Yet we see that every thing has a cause and the sum total of all the causes may be called karma.

*Nisargadatta:* As long as you believe yourself to be a body, you will ascribe causes to everything. I do not say things have no causes. Each thing has innumerable causes. It is as it is, because the world is as it is. Every cause in its ramifications covers the universe.

When you realise that you are absolutely free to be what you consent to be, that you are what you appear to be because of ignorance or indifference, you are free to revolt and change. You allow yourself to be what you are not. You are looking for the causes of being what you are not! It is a futile search. There are no causes, but your ignorance of your real being, which is perfect and beyond all causation. For whatever happens, all the universe is responsible and you are the source of the universe.

*Question:* I know nothing about being the cause of the universe.

*Nisargadatta:* Because you do not investigate. Enquire, search within and you will know.

*Question:* How can a speck like me create the vast universe?

*Nisargadatta:* When you are infected with the "I am the body" virus; a whole universe springs into being. But when you have had enough of it, you cherish some fanciful ideas about liberation and pursue lines of action totally futile. You concentrate, you meditate, you torture your mind and body, you do all sorts of unnecessary things, but you miss the essential which is the elimination of the person.

*Question:* In the beginning we may have to pray and meditate for some time before we are ready for Self-enquiry.

*Nisargadatta:* If you believe so, go on. To me, all delay is a waste of time. You can skip all the preparation and go directly for the ultimate search within. Of all the Yogas it is the simplest and the shortest.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2013, 07:08:55 PM »
*Question:* Any day there may be a riot right in front of you, perhaps people killing each other. Surely you cannot say: nothing is happening and remain aloof.

*Nisargadatta:* I never talked of remaining aloof. You could as well see me jumping into the fray to save somebody and getting killed. Yet to me nothing happened. Imagine a big building collapsing. Some rooms are in ruins, some are intact. But can you speak of the space as ruined or intact? It is only the structure that suffered and the people who happened to live in it. Nothing happened to space itself. Similarly, nothing happens to life when forms break down and names are wiped out. The goldsmith melts down old ornaments to make new. Sometimes a good piece goes with the bad. He takes it in his stride, for he knows that no gold is lost.

*Question:* It is not death that I rebel against. It is the manner of dying.

*Nisargadatta:* Death is natural, the manner of dying is man-made. Separateness causes fear and aggression, which again cause violence. Do away with man-made separations and all this horror of people killing each other will surely end. But in reality there is no killing and no dying. The real does not die, the unreal never lived. Set your mind right and all will be right. When you know that the world is one, that humanity is one, you will act accordingly. But first of all you must attend to the way you feel, think and live. Unless there is order in yourself, there can be no order in the world.

In reality nothing happens. Onto the screen of the mind destiny forever projects its pictures, memories of former projections and thus illusion constantly renews itself. The pictures come and go – light intercepted by ignorance. See the light and disregard the picture.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 20, 2013, 07:36:46 PM »
Q: Sir, were you to say, 'Nothing is true, all is relative,' I would agree with you. But you maintain there is truth, reality, perfect
knowledge, therefore I ask, 'What is it and how do you know? And what will make me say: Yes, Maharaj was right?'

NM: You are holding on to the need for a proof, a testimony, an authority.  You will imagine that truth is pointing at and telling
you: 'Look, here is the truth.'

It is not so. Truth is not the result of an effort, the end of the road. It is here and now, in the very longing and search for it.
It is nearer than the mind and the body, nearer than the sense 'I am'. You do not see it because you look too far away from
yourself, outside your inner most  being. You have objectified truth and insist on your standard proofs and test, which apply
only to things and thoughts.

Q: All I can make out from what you say is that the truth is beyond me and I am not qualified to talk about it.

NM: You are not only qualified, but you are the truth itself. Only you mistake the false for true.

Q: You seem to say:  Don't ask for proofs of truth. Concern yourself with untruth only.

NM:  The discovery of truth is in the discernment of the false, You  can know what is not. What is you can know only BE.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2013, 04:46:10 AM »
*Use your mind. Remember. Observe. You are not different from others. Most of their experiences are valid for you too. Think clearly and deeply, go into the structure of your desires and their ramifications. They are a most important part of your mental and emotional make-up and powerfully affect your actions. Remember, you cannot abandon what you do not know. To go beyond yourself, you must know yourself. Whatever you come across, go beyond.

Purify yourself by a well-ordered and useful life. Watch over your thoughts, feelings, words and actions. This will clear your vision.

Ultimately, you are the proof that God exists, not the other way around. For before any question about God can be put, you must be there to put it.

Before the mind – I am. "I am" is not a thought in the mind; the mind happens to me, I do not happen to the mind. And since time and space are in the mind, I am beyond time and space, eternal and omnipresent.

Since it is awareness that makes consciousness possible, there is awareness in every state of consciousness. Therefore, the very consciousness of being conscious is already a movement in awareness. Interest in your stream of consciousness takes you to awareness. It is not a new state. It is at once recognised as the original, basic existence, which is life itself, and also love and joy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 05:04:31 AM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »

Q: One must meet somebody lovable, of course. My other was not only not loving, she was also not lovable.

NM: What makes a person lovable? Is it not the being loved. First you lover and then look for the reasons.

Q: It can be other way round. You love what makes you happy. 

NM: What makes you happy?

Q: There is no rule about it. The entire subject is highly individual and unpredictable.

NM: Right. Whichever way you put it, unless you love there is no happiness. But, does love always make you happy?  Is not the
association of love with happiness a rather early infantile stage?  When the beloved suffers, don' you suffer too? And do you
cease to love, because you suffer?  Must love and happiness come and go together?  Is love merely the experience of pleasure?

Q: Of course not. There can be much suffering in love.

NM: Then what is love? Is it not a state of being, rather than a state of mind?

Arunachala Siva.