Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 178148 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #330 on: February 05, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »

Q: But can anything be left for good?

NM: You want something like a round the clock ecstasy. Ecstasies come and go, necessarily, for the human brain cannot
stand the tension for a long time. A prolonged ecstasy will burn out your brain, unless it is extremely pure, and subtle. In
nature, nothing is at stand still, everything pulsates, appears and disappears. Heart, breath, digestion, sleep and waking, ---
birth and death -- everything comes and goes in waves. Rhythm, periodicity, harmonious alternation of extremities is the rule.
No use rebelling against the very pattern of life. If you seek the immutable, go beyond experience. When I say, remember "I am"
all the time. I mean: 'come back to it repeatedly.' No particular thought can be the mind's natural state, only silence. Not the idea
of silence, but silence itself. When the mind is in its natural state, it reverts to silence spontaneously after every experience, or
rather, every experience happens against the background of silence.

Now, what you have learnt here becomes the seed. You may forget it --- apparently. But it will live and in due season sprout
and grow and bring forth flowers and fruits. All will happen by itself. You need not do anything. Only do not prevent it.

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 05, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
By staying in this knowledge (‘I am’) you can dissolve the subtle body. The pill – the three states (waking, sleep and beingness) – dissolves. Then there is no coming, till then the subtle body will remain. So long the food essence is there the ‘I am’ knowledge is there, once the essence is exhausted, knowingness goes.

Become free from concepts, no concepts, including the ‘I am’. The ‘I am’ is the primary concept, the primary illusion The primary 
concept itself, for its sustenance, created so many substances, like wheat flour and wheat products. Out of the touch of ‘I amness’ arose so many concepts and various names.

Go to the source and be established there, then, there is no change. You might have read the Gita, who is there to judge its soundness? The knowledge ‘I am’ has to approve whatever is said there. Establish yourself in the Self, whatever you are prior to the ‘I am’, get established there. When this abidance in the Self is achieved, all talks with sound gibberish.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 07, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
Q: There can be much suffering in love.

NM: Then what is love? Is it not a state of being rather than a state of mind? Must you know that you love in order to love?
Did you not love your mother unknowingly? Your craving for her love, for an opportunity to love her, is it not the movement
of love? Is not love as much a part of you, as consciousness of being? You sought the love of your mother, because you loved her.

Q: But she would not let me!

NM: She could not stop  you.

Q: Then, why was I unhappy all my life?

NM: Because you did not go down to the very roots of your being.  It is your complete ignorance of yourself, that covered up
your love and happiness and made you seek for what you have never lost. Love is will, the will to share your happiness with all.
Being happy --- making happy --- this is the rhythm of love.

Arunachala Siva.         

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2013, 05:01:46 AM »
Everyone, from plants to creatures, want and know the ‘I am’ to be there, once we have existence, we want it to continue. Your experience is because of the beingness, the world depends on beingness, is it happy or miserable? When your beingness is not 
there, is it happy or miserable?

You know the body, but you are not the body. When you go to sleep, sleep with the remembrance of that truth.

The ‘I am’ is the only God to be pleased. Whatever you presently know about God is only bargaining. Your very existence or beingness is the proof that God exists. If I am not, God is not. God’s existence is due to the consciousness, the ‘I am’, please it and it will lead you to its source.

Intelligence is innately there like fire in the match stick. The final culmination of the elemental interplay is the human body, where the touch of ‘I am’ appears. Birth is like a spark coming from the rubbing of stones, there is the elemental friction and you have the spark ‘I am’. The qualities of a Bodhisattva are due to the knowledge ‘I am’, but that is temporary and so the perfect Jnani says all manifestation is unreal, only ‘Parabrahman’ is real.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »

Q:  I do see and admit that that the outer chaos is merely a reflection of my own inner disharmony. But what is the remedy?

NM: Do not seek remedies.

Q: Sometimes one is in a 'state of grace' and life is happy and harmonious. But such a state does not last! The mood changes
and all goes wrong.

NM: If you could only keep quiet, clear of memories and expectations, you would be able to discern the beautiful pattern of events.
It is your restlessness that causes chaos.

Q: For the full three hours, that I spent in the airline office, I was practicing patience and forbearance. It did not speed up
matters.

NM: At least it did not slow them down, as your kicking would have surely done! You want immediate results! We do not dispense
magic here. Everybody makes the same mistake, refusing the means, but wanting the ends. You want peace and harmony in the
world, but refuse to have them in yourself. Follow my advice implicitly and you will not be disappointed. I cannot solve your problem
by mere words. You have to act on what I told you and persevere. It is not the right advice that liberates, but the action based on it.
Just like a doctor, after giving the patient an injection, tells him, 'Now keep quiet. Do nothing more. Just keep quiet. I am telling you.
You have got your injection. Now keep quiet. Just keep quiet. You have nothing else to do. My Guru did the same. He would tell me
something and then say, 'Now keep quiet. Don't go on ruminating all the time. Stop. Be silent.'

Arunachala Siva.               

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »
Nisargadatta Maharaj, Bhainath Maharaj and Maurice Frydman

This body packet of the five elements gets conditioned into the ego or individuality. When you transcend the body you dwell in the ‘I am’ (in manifestation), at that stage you know that all is the five elemental play. So long as the ‘I amness’ prevails or the ‘I am’ is realized it is also realized that there is another Absolute principal to which witnessing happens, and That Absolute principal is beyond time.

The ‘I am’ means all this spectacle that you are seeing, later, you also see that number of universes are playing in that ‘I am’. When you understand all this verbally, you may become a pseudo-Guru, which is not realization. You must realize that you only observe, and you are not that, you are not that ‘I am’ in which universes are playing.

The ‘I am’ in body form can reach the highest state, if you accept it and dwell there you escape birth and death. Just be in that principle, there are no disciplines for this. If you do penance it is because you have sinned in previous births, but if you really come across a sage he shows you your true nature.

All multiplicity is manifested from the Ishwara principle; it is sprouting from the ‘I am’ principle, Ishwara, or ‘I am’ is the manifest principle. If you don’t forget yourself for four days, you will die. You did not know you were, suddenly you felt ‘you are’ and with ‘I amness’ you started counting age. When exactly you felt that ‘you are’? Dwell there, ponder over it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »

Q: The three gunas -- sattva - rajas - tamas, are they only in matter, or also in mind.

NM: In both, of course, because the two are not separate. It is only the absolute that is beyond gunas. In fact, these are but
points of view, ways of looking. They exist only in the mind. Beyond the mind all distinctions cease.

Q: Is the universe a product of the senses?

NM: Just as you recreate your world on waking up, so is the universe unrolled. The mind with its five organs of perception, five
organs of action, and five vehicles of consciousness appears as memory, thought, and self hood.

Arunachala Siva.         

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2013, 05:29:43 PM »
The ‘I am’ state has great potency, and from this the manifestation of the universe has taken place. After the ‘I am’ merges in the Pure Awareness, the entire universe vanishes as though it had never existed. The first step is to go to this ‘I am’ state, remain there and then merge and go beyond. Try to sustain this ‘I am’ state, stay unconcerned by thoughts of both good and bad.

The greatest obstacle is the ‘I am’ growing over your true nature, which gives you the feeling ‘I am doing this’ and ‘I am so and so’, so you feel benefited by this ‘I am’, but you are really being cheated by it.

Once we have accepted the definition of Reality of being that which persists or is at all times the same, then we know that Reality can never change. The objective world and the consciousness of ‘I am’ (In deep sleep there is no feeling of ‘I am’) is constantly changing, so from this we can infer that whatever changes is only an appearance and not a Reality.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2013, 05:40:37 PM »

NM: You have tasted so many things -- all came to naught. Only the sense of I AM persisted --- unchanged. Stay with the
changeless among the changeful until you are able to go beyond.

Q: When will it happen?

NM: It will happen as son as you remove your obstacles.

Q: Which obstacles?

NM: Desire for false and fear of the true. You as the person, imagine that the Guru is interested in you as a person. Not at all.
To him you are a nuisance and hindrance, to be done away with. He actually aims at your elimination as a factor in consciousness.

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:03 PM »
To earn your livelihood you have to think about your practical pursuits, but once they are over return back to this thoughtless, formless contemplation of ‘I am’. Do carry out your activities but remember that ‘You’ are Godly and completely untarnished by these activities. When you are in this ‘Ishwara’ state, all these activities in the world will go on spontaneously.

You should use this power of discrimination always, and find out in truth, whether you really are a person. If you truly inquire you will find that you were never a person at all. Even the ‘Great Cause’ or Creator (‘Ishwara’ or God) finally is only a word. The ‘Great cause’ is the ‘I am’ consciousness.

When you follow my advice and try to keep the mind on the notion of ‘I am’ only, you become fully aware of your mind and its vagaries. Awareness being lucid harmony (‘sattwa’) in action dissolves dullness and quietens the restlessness of the mind and gently but steadily changes its very substance. This change need not be spectacular; it maybe hardly noticeable; and yet it is a deep and fundamental shift from darkness to light from inadvertence to awareness.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 11, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

Q: Has the witness name and form, or is it beyond these?

NM: The Witness is merely a point in Awareness. It has no name and form, It is like the reflection of the sun in a drop of dew.
The drop of dew has name and form. But the little point of light is caused by the sun. The clearness and smoothness of the drop
is a necessary condition but not sufficient by itself. Similarly, clarity and silence of the mind are necessary for the reflection of reality
to appear in the mind, but by themselves they are not sufficient. There must be reality beyond it. Because reality is timelessly present,
the stress is on the necessary conditions.

Q: Can it happen that the mind is clear and quiet and yet no reflection appears?

NM: There is destiny to consider. The unconscious is in the grip of destiny. It is destiny, in fact. One may have to wait. But however
heavy may the hand of destiny it can be lifted by patience and self control. Integrity and purity remove the obstacles and the vision
of reality appears in the mind.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 12, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
Only your sense ‘I am’ though in the world, is not of the world. By no effort of logic you can change the ‘I am’ into ‘I am not’. In the very denial of your being you assert it. Once you realize that the world is your own projection, you are free of it. You need not free yourself of a world that does not exist, except in your imagination.

This ‘I am’ consciousness is great for it creates the vast world, but You are greater, for You are the Reality behind and beyond this ‘I am’ consciousness. You have come to me to ask me something and I have told you that ‘You are the Reality’, so remember this, stick to this and live by this knowledge. You are the Reality. You are the ‘Parabrahman’, so meditate on this and remember this, and finally the idea that ‘I am Parabrahman’ will also leave you.

All yogas and practices come through the consciousness of ‘I am’  only, which is itself an illusion. Whatever is happening in this illusion, yoga, ‘Kundalini’ or anything else, is relative and time-bound.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »
Q: The sciences have made much progress. We know the body and mind much better than our ancestors. Your traditional
way, describing mind and analyzing mind and matter is no longer valid.

NM: But where are your scientists with their sciences? Are they not again images in your mind?

Q: Here lies the basic difference!  To me they are not my own projections. They were before I was born and shall be there when
I am dead.

NM: Of course. Once you accept time and space as real, you will consider yourself minute and short lived. But are they real?
Do they not depend on YOU or You on THEM? As body, you are in Space. As mind, you are in Time. But are you mere body with
a mind in it. Have you ever investigated?

Q: I had neither the motive nor the method.

NM: I am suggesting both.  But the actual work of insight and detachment (Viveka Vairagya) is yours.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 13, 2013, 12:09:59 AM »
From consciousness alone we are directed to act. Consciousness appears on Awareness and acts. Awareness does not act, it is the pure witness. The consciousness of you, or Pure consciousness, is the ‘Ishwara’ or God or ‘I am’ state i.e., Universal consciousness. This is not personal consciousness. The whole world is created by the consciousness. When this consciousness is limited to an individual, it becomes the ego, intellect, mind or ‘Jiva’.

All actions are performed by the ‘Ishwara’ principle (‘I am’) which is time-bound and has its being in the unknown. So what is there to do? Why say that I do anything? The ‘I am’ consciousness does everything and this ‘I am’ is nothing but knowledge without attributes, which is time-bound.

In the waking state, the witnessing state is always there. There is no other Brahman greater than you, accept this and go, you are the greatest. In that small round cell is contained all the space, in it the Cosmos and earth are there, that small cell is the principle of ‘I am’ The moment it is there, space is manifested, the womb is space started from the small cell ‘I am’.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 13, 2013, 11:15:12 PM »
What do you mean by ‘I am’ or the feeling of ‘you are’? All the names relate to the ‘I amness’, Atman also is its name. If there is no ‘I amness’, whose names can these all be? You cannot say this and that consciousness, your consciousness is your world only. To fully understand and realize all this, do meditation. That sound, the humming ‘I am’, is the Ishwara sound. It is a reminder that, you are God, but your reject the soundless sound by identifying with the body. On your own authority, in absence of the ‘I am’ principle, what can you do?

The knowledge ‘I am’, without memories and concepts, is everything. The idea ‘I am the body and mind’ is not that knowledge. No effort is required, the main thing is that ‘you are’ (or ‘I am’) when you listen to me and stay there, you’ll understand that the knowledge ‘I am’ is independent of body-mind.

Beingness is the lord of the universe, therefore, all the time, be with the lord of manifestation and all your problems and puzzles will be cleared. This knowledge that ‘I am’ makes perception possible, make it you own. Whatever you may want, just do this (abide in the ‘I am’) and you will have everything. In this knowledge ‘I am’ is the entire universe. Consciousness is the lord of all manifestation, only because of the body that we consider this consciousness as a bodily principle.