Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 177292 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #315 on: January 30, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

Q: If we have to wait for a change of heart, we shall have to wait indefinitely. Yours is a counsel of perfection, which is also a
counsel of despair. When all are perfect, the world will be perfect. What useless truism!

NM: I did not say it. I only said: You cannot change the world before changing yourself. I did not say, ---- before changing everybody.
It is neither necessary,  nor possible to change others. But if you can change yourself you will find that no other change is needed.
To change the picture, you merely change the film. You do not attack the cinema screen!

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2013, 05:09:41 PM »
The ‘I am’ itself is the world, go to the source and find out how it appeared and when.
As your understanding of the knowledge ‘I am’ becomes clear you realize that everything rests on the ‘I am’.
It is the very basis of the world that you see around you. Prior to the arrival of the knowledge ‘I am’
or during deep sleep you never knew or know about the existence of any world at all.
The ‘I am’ is at the very beginning, so you  have to go back to it and not only go back but
spend a considerable amount of time there, only then will you come to know how it came to be.

The conviction that the ‘I am’ and the world never existed can happen only to ‘Parabrahman’ (The Absolute).
As you abide in the ‘I am’ after fully understanding it or earnestly doing the ‘Sadhana’ (practice) as
prescribed by the Guru, a moment comes when you transcend the ‘I am’. On this happening both the ‘I
am’ and the world disappear and you enter the Absolute or ‘Parabrahman’ state. Only in this state
will you have the conviction that the ‘I am’ and the world never existed. The Guru is in that state,
he has gone beyond the ‘I am’ and this world, he is only using the ‘I am’ or his ‘being’ to communicate
with anybody who comes to him.

To stabilize in the ‘I am’, which has no name and form, is itself liberation. As you come back to the ‘I am’
in its purest form, i.e. as it was in its nascent state, and get stabilized there you become devoid of name and form.
The nascent ‘I am’ is common to all, does not belong to anybody and has no name or form. You have been
in this state in the very early stages of your life when you prevailed in the ‘I am’ only and knew
nothing else. Apply your mind and try to recollect it and then try to live it.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:58 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

This is the wonderful Teaching of a great master, taught simply yet in a tellingly profound manner.

Thanks vey much, dear Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
 Anil

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2013, 09:25:15 AM »
Q: The harmonized people may be called natural, ruled by law, while the disintegrated are chaotic and subject to accidents.

NM: The very idea of chaos presupposes the sense of orderly, the organic, the inter-related. Chaos and Cosmos.  They are the
two aspects of the same state.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 31, 2013, 08:51:10 PM »
What is the most ingrained habit you have? It is to say ‘I am’. This is the root habit. Words and experiences are unworthy of you. This habit of experiencing will not go until you realize that all this is the domain of five elements, and the experiences in the five elements, are unreal. This ‘I amness’ itself is unreal.

Because the ‘I am’ principle is there, it is moving all over. To recognize it, you put on various uniforms in order to give it identity, but the principle is already there, and because of that principle you are engaging in various activities. Unless you wear the uniform (the body) you will not be able to conduct any activities. Once you discard this ‘I amness’ uniform, what remains is the ‘Parabrahman”. That which is eternally current is the ‘Parabrahman’

Ultimately one must go beyond knowledge, but the knowledge must come, and knowledge can come by constant meditation. By meditating, the knowledge ‘I am’ gradually settles down and merges with universal knowledge, and thereby becomes totally free, like the sky or the space. It is not possible for you to acquire knowledge, you ‘are’ knowledge. You are what you are seeking.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 01, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »
Q: There is suffering and bloodshed in East Pakistan, (now Bangladesh) at the present moment. How do you look at it?
How does it appear to you, how do you react to it?

NM: In Pure Consciousness , nothing ever happens.

Q: Please come down from these metaphysical heights! Of what use is it to suffering man to be told that nobody is aware of his
suffering but himself? To relegate everything, to illusion is insult added to injury. The Bengali of East Pakistan is a fact and his
suffering is a fact. Please do not analyze them out of existence!  You are reading newspapers, you hear people talking about it.
You cannot plead ignorance. Now, what is your attitude to what is happening?

NM: No attitude.  Nothing is happening!

Q: Any day there may be riot right in front of you, perhaps people killing each other. Surely, you cannot say: nothing is happening
and remain aloof?

NM: I never talked of remaining aloof. You could as well see me jumping into the fray to save somebody and getting killed. Yet,
to me nothing happened!

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2013, 02:38:05 AM »
The emergence of this beingness itself constitutes time. Everything is beingness, but I, the Absolute, am not that. In meditation there was space, when suddenly two forms appeared out of no-form, ‘Prakriti’ and ‘Purusha’ and the quintessence of these forms was the knowledge ‘I am’.

The Guru tells you ‘Get rid of concepts, just be yourself’. The seeker having understood what the Guru said gets rid of the concepts, and now, as the first step, the seeker dwells in the state ‘I am’, just being. First of all there is the knowingness ‘I am’, without words, with that knowingness the world is. Now when the seeker goes into meditation, that knowingness goes into no-knowingness. This is the highest state in the hierarchy when the body aspect is there because this knowing and no-knowing are aspects of the body, and body means consciousness, and in the realm of consciousness, knowingness and no-knowingness exist. The Absolute transcends knowingness and no-knowingness. So, no-knowingness is the highest in the hierarchy of spirituality, and the destination is the transcendence of knowingness and no-knowingness.

The ‘Linga-deha’ is the seed, the chemical, the product of the five elemental essences which give rise to and sustain the consciousness ‘I am’. Just like the seed of a tree, that seed latently contains all future manifestations and expressions of the tree that will sprout out of the seed. You take a fountain pen and on the paper you put a drop of ink, so that drop is the ‘Linga-deha’. That drop is the moment of conception; its expression is the thought-free state, like space, in the knowingness state. That ‘Linga-deha’, that little drop, and the knowledge ‘I am’ is the same.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:09 PM »
Q: But thinking, reasoning, is the mind's normal state. The mind just cannot stop working.

NM:  It may be the habitual state. But it need not be the normal state. A normal state cannot be painful, while wrong habit often
leads to chronic pain.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 02, 2013, 09:24:28 PM »

o long as the concept ‘I am’ is still there, they (people who contact maharaj) have not gone beyond or prior to it; they have not gone beyond the total manifestation. So now when people come here, I talk with them, from what level am I talking? I am talking from the level that you are consciousness and not the body-mind. In my state whatever comes out is from the total manifestation, not from the point of view of the Absolute. Hang on to that consciousness, which is your only capital, and do ‘dhyana’ and let that unfold whatever knowledge has to be unfolded

What is this state before this knowledge ‘I am’ came upon me? When the knowledge ‘I am’ came, the one who is satisfied with that will reach the state where he considers himself God and ‘Brahman’. But he does not go beyond it or prior to it. In the ultimate state lies the prior state; that is, the state before this knowledge ‘I am’ ever dawned on me – the highest state, the best state, the original state.

My Guru told me ‘Divinity’ (Paramatman) is what you are’, I heard it and I accepted it, I did not want to gain anything, I just accepted it. I never knew that ‘I’ existed and suddenly I was aware that ‘I am’ this Absolute Truth. I had complete faith in the words of my Guru and then later on everything happened spontaneously.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 08:54:10 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 02, 2013, 09:31:28 PM »
Take it that you are That. ‘That’ means no shape, no design. Whatever you see pertains only to That, to your ‘I amness’. Spontaneously ‘It is’! You are That principle. Don’t try to unravel it with your intellect. Just observe and accept it as it is.

That principle ‘I am’ is your illusion but the Oneness got rid of that illusion. Then one is without body or mind. The principle of Oneness has no shape, therefore male and female have no shape – this is the wedding of the male and female. At that stage the barren women conceived and progeny is delivered! That is the ‘I am’ state and that is the universe. But this Oneness is not a state of illusion.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2013, 07:22:31 AM »
Dear Jewell,

Nice. NM also uses the words I am-ness in many places.

Q: We live in a volcano and we are always in danger. I agree that the company of people whose mind is peaceful has a
very soothing effect. But as soon as I am away from them, the old trouble starts. This is why I come periodically to India
to seek the company of my Guru.

NM: You think you are coming and going, passing through various states and moods. I see things as they are, momentary
events, presenting themselves to me in rapid succession, deriving their being from me, yet definitely neither me nor mine.
Among the phenomena I am not one, nor subject to any. I am independent so simply and totally, that your mind, accustomed
to opposition and denial, cannot grasp it.  I mean literally what I say: I do not need to oppose, or deny, because it is clear to me
that I cannot be the opposite or denial of anything. I am just beyond, in a different dimension altogether. Do not look for me in
identification with, or opposition to something. I am where desire and fear are not. Now, what is your experience? Do you also
feel that you stand totally aloof from all transient things?

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2013, 08:59:31 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Yes,Maharaj uses that word offten,also with consciousness and Absolute.
It is very beautiful and profound part of the dialogue You have posted. Whenever i read something like this,i stand mute,not able to say,or to grasp anything. Just stay in wonder...

Thank You so much,Sir!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »
In the absence of the basic concept ‘I am’, there is no thought, no awareness, and no consciousness of one’s existence.
Understanding the importance of the basic concept ‘I am’ comes by constantly pondering on it. The more you dwell on it, the more you realize that
‘yes, this is it’. On this ‘I am’ rests everything: all the thoughts that prevail, all the actions that you perform, the very awareness of your being, your
existence; the ‘I am’having gone all these go, like in the state of deep sleep or that period before the ‘I am’ arose.

The ‘I am’ in you came from the ‘I am’ in your parents, but only then could they be called parents!
The fact that the ‘I am’ came from the ‘I am’ in your parents, or that your parents created you is the usual, conventional understanding. But just
think of it the other way around, your parents could be called ‘parents’ only after your arrival, not before that! Before that they were just a couple,
prospective parents, but not parents yet, until your arrival. Looking at it in this manner, in a way, you have created the ‘parents’.
So who created whom? Yet we talk of all this being the reality! Is it? 

The ‘I am’ is the divinity in you and cause of the sacred repetition (‘Japa’) in you breath of ‘So Hum’ (I am ‘That’).
The ‘I am’ is the divinity or God in you and makes its presence felt through the sacred repetition or ‘Japa’ continuously going on in you in the form
of breath. The ancient ones carefully observed the breath and found two subtle sounds in it at every inhalation and exhalation. When you
inhale deeply and slowly you can hear ‘Soooo’ and when you exhale, again slowly you can hear ‘Huuum’. These sounds are called ‘So Hum’,
which in Sanskrit means ‘I am That’. Many practitioners do this meditation of focusing their attention on the breath and observing the sound
‘So Hum’, which is regarded as a ‘mantra’ (condensed sacred words with a deep meaning).

The Absolute doesn’t know that ‘It is’. Only when the knowledge ‘I am’ spontaneously appeared did it know ‘It is’.
There is no question of there being any experience in the Absolute or the ‘Parabrahman’.
All experiences demand the necessity of duality in the form of the experiencer (subject) and the experienced (object).
The Absolute is a non-dual state, so who is to experience what? Moreover, the Absolute,
does not require any experience or the need to know that ‘it is’. By the spontaneous appearance of the knowledge ‘I am’ it came to
know that ‘it is’, yet it doesn’t require the ‘I am’ at all, for it is complete in itself, devoid of any wants.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2013, 02:06:40 PM »
Q: Can I think 'I am God'?

NM: Don't identify yourself with an idea. If you mean by God, the Unknown, then you merely say, 'I do not know what I am'. If
you know God, as you know yourself, you need not say it. Best is the simple feeling I AM.' Dwell on it patiently. Here patience
is wisdom. Don't think of failure. There can be no failure in this undertaking.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2013, 02:12:30 AM »
The sense of taste comes from the element earth, perception emanates from air and sound from space, but the primary concept 
is ‘I am’. First without sound you know ‘I am’ (as when you awaken from deep sleep), then you say ‘I am’, with this comes the need ‘to be’. With the departure of the vital breath, there is no sound, no language, no warmth – its death, death is also a concept. Nevertheless, everything dwells in food essence quality (‘I am’), when this disappears – it is all over. To sustain beingness, the product of food, we eat food, but that is not your identity.

Without the intake of food, there is no opportunity to say ‘I am’, out of the essence of the earth sprouts vegetation and out of that sprouts the ‘I am’, realize this without eyesight or intellect. That principle likes to cry, enjoy, and laugh, but you are not that, realize this only. Become one with the ‘I am’, then you can transcend it, then ‘I the Absolute’ am not the ‘I am’.

You are ‘That’ only, prior to them (concepts and memory) is the ‘I am’, further still when you recede, is the Absolute. But most people die with memory and concepts. Who understands that memory is not operating today? It’s the knowledge ‘I am’. Surrender to the beingness, from it all movement happens; go to the source of the movement which is the beingness. Hammer it into yourself that your own beingness is the parent of the entire manifestation. Beingness will help you in abiding in itself, beingness is observed by the Ultimate (the Absolute) that has no senses, no eyes, but witnessing just happens. I am introducing you to your own beingness, the first stage is to meditate on the beingness, abide in it.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj