Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 177104 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2013, 02:56:50 AM »
Becoming established in the Awareness ‘I am’ is all that is important. Later on you also transcend the ‘I amness’. Just as a storm is a form created by nature, similarly this ‘I am’, this chemical, was also created. Forget about what I have told you, because that is also a mechanical thing, a chemical. Just be Aware, and then it won’t matter if you die a hundred times.

The knowledge that you are alive, that you exist, do you understand it thorugh any effort?

The child has been given an idea who its parents are, but is just a concept. Similarly the ‘I am’ is just a concept. The child has been given the idea that ‘He is’. First you must investigate ‘Who is’ and what this ‘I amness’ is.You want to know what the support is for the ‘I am’? My parents supported me! When do these two people, the husband and the wife become parents? It’s when a child is born, is that not true? Where are the parents before the birth of the child? And what is the child? The child is the root of parents; the child is also the father of the parents. Because of the child the parents are. This shows how completely hollow our egos are.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2013, 03:11:52 AM »
When the ‘I amness’ appears spontaneously, like a bolt of lightening, the illusion of Self-love is broken into five basic elements, space, air, earth, fire and water. But this Self-love, the ‘I am’ manifests itself as Sattva Guna to the one who accepts this as a natural process. When it is used for achieving something in the world it is referred to as Rajas Guna. When it is used to take credit for achievements, it is referred to as Tamas Guna.

If you are able to establish yourself in the vital breath as you are, you become manifest. The vital breath, when it is conditioned by the body, you call it personality. But as matter the vital breath is spread all over, it is manifest; it is universal. If you establish in the vital breath as ‘I am’, that in itself will get you there. Don’t be dishonest to your vital breath, worship it, and when you do so, it can lead you anywhere, to any heights – this is the quintessence of my talks.

These two entities are available to you, the vital force and the knowledge ‘I am’, the consciousness. They appear without any effort; they are there. Now, in order to be one with ‘Ishwara’, to understand the non-duality you must worship the vital force. Then that knowledge, which is in seed form, slowly grows. And the seeker becomes full of knowledge; in the process he transcends that, and the ultimate state is achieved.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2013, 10:41:09 AM »
Q:  Was your realization sudden or gradual?

NM: Neither. One is what one is timelessly. It is the mind that realizes as and when it gets cleared of desires and fears.

Q: Even the desire for realization?

NM: The desire to put an end to all desires is a most particular desire, just like the fear of being afraid is a most particular fear.
One stops you from grabbing and other from running. You may use the same words, but the states are not the same, The man
who seeks realization is not addicted to desires. He is a seeker who goes against desire, not with it. A general longing for liberation
is only the beginning. To find the proper means and use them is the next step. The seeker has only one goal in view. To find  his
own true being. Of all desires, it is the most ambitious, for nothing and nobody can satisfy it. The seeker and the sought are one
and the search alone matters.

Arunachala Siva.       

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »

The active part is called Maya, and is due to the mind. The inactive part is called ‘I amness’ or Purusha, which is just watching. Only when you identify with that which is stationary, the Purusha, can you become the watcher of the ‘I amness’ and all of its activities.

This body is only the food body for the consumption and the sustenance of the ‘I amness’. You have to remain in that Beingness 
or Consciousness with firm faith while having no identification with the body or the personality, or with name and form. Always identify yourself with Consciousness, it will take a while for this conviction to root, but persist.

‘You’ are above the waking and dreaming states, because those are only expressions of your Beingness. The waking and dreaming states pertain only to your ‘I amness’. We are only able to observe because of the ‘I amness’. When the ‘I amness’ is not there the tool to observe is also not there. If you are deep inside everything is gone! And there is no ‘I am’. Then the ‘I am’ merges in the Absolute.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2013, 05:41:17 PM »
NM: Maya is the Great Illusion. It is Unreality. Maya is illusive power that  veils the Reality. The nature of  Maya is to delude.
Maya is the totality of all mental projections.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »
Do nothing, absolutely nothing! Just be, be the knowledge ‘I am’ only and abide there. To imbibe this, meditate on beingness only. Catch hold of the knowledge ‘I am’ in meditation. In this process, the realization occurs that ‘I’ the Absolute am not the ‘guna’ ‘I am’; therefore in meditation nothing is to be retained in memory. Nevertheless something will appear on the memory screen, but be unconcerned, just be, do nothing. Refrain from grasping anything in meditation; the moment you do, otherness begins, and so does duality. Nothing is to be done. Then all your riddles will be solved and dissolved. ‘Moolmaya’ – that is, the primary illusion – will release her stranglehold on you and will get lost.

The fragrance or sweetness of the food-essence body is the knowledge ‘I am’. It has no name and form; it is the ‘I love’ state, the ‘I-taste’. But from your body-mind state, you will go to pilgrimages and various gurus. So long as the consciousness is there, that humming goes on, and who does the humming? The principle which is humming and saying, ‘I am, I am’ is itself your guru.

For all beings it is the same experience. Early morning, immediately after waking, just the feeling ‘I am’ is felt inside or the beingness happens, and therefore further witnessing of all else happens. The first witnessing is that of ‘I am’, this primary witnessing is the prerequisite for all further witnessing. But to whom is the witnessing occurring? One that ever is, even without waking, to that ever-present substratum the witnessing of the waking state happens.

But how can such a state be attained? Only if one totally accepts the knowledge ‘I am’ as oneself with full conviction and faith and 
firmly believes in the dictum ‘I am that by which I know I am’. This knowledge ‘I am’ is the ‘charan-amrita’. Why is it called ‘amrita’ – the nectar? Because it is said, by drinking nectar one becomes immortal. Thus a true devotee, by abiding in the knowledge ‘I am’ transcends the experience of death and attains immortality.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Q: A friend of mine used to have terrible dreams night after night. Going to sleep would terrorize him. Nothing could help him.

NM: Company of truly good satangh would help him.

Q: Life itself is a nightmare.

NM: Satsangh  is the supreme remedy for all ills, physical and mental.

Q: Generally one cannot find such friendship.

NM: Then seek within. Your own self is your best friend.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 26, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »
This is no joke, but you can become ‘Parabrahman’ right now. Only it is not a commodity that you can acquire. You, a hundred years ago, were the ‘Parabrahman’. Give me all the information about that state of a hundred years back. Focus your attention only on that consciousness ‘I am’. Don’t be led astray by all the so-called spiritual disciplines and rigmaroles.

The aim is to awaken yourself to the faith in the self, ‘I am’. That is the entire purpose. So whatever is inductive to that development, you may accept. Suppose you have faith in a living guru, then, accept a living guru. If you have faith in a guru who has left his body, accept that guru.

The vital force carries out all the activities. The mind communicates, and the knowledge ‘I am’ is merely a witness; this is the actual state of affairs. But all these – that is, food body quintessence, and the knowledge ‘I am’, the vital breath and the mind – these are all a temporary phase only; so long as the food essence is available, the knowingness will last.

You are the knowledge ‘I am’. So if you want to worship, worship that knowledge ‘I am’. Be devoted to that ‘I amness’ only. When you do that, other rituals become redundant and useless. Finally when you realize that everything is useless, everything is ‘Brahman’, it means you are at the ‘Parabrahman’ level, the absolute level. When at that level, you will envision everything as useless, including the ‘Brahman’ because the ‘Brahman’ is also reduced to illusion. Therefore all these talks, including my own will be reduced to illusion when you reach the highest.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:53 PM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:53 PM »
Q:  Since all is pre-ordained, is our self realization also preordained?

NM: Destiny refers only to name and shape. Since you are neither body nor mind, destiny has no control over you. You are
completely free. The cup is conditioned by its shape, material use and so on. But the space within the cup is free. It happens
to be in the cup only when viewed in connection with the cup. Otherwise it is just space. As long there is a body, you appear
to be embodied. Without the body you are not disembodied  -- you just ARE.

Even destiny is but an idea. Words can be put together in so many ways! Statements can differ, but do they make any change
in the actual? There are so many theories devised for explaining things --- all are plausible, none is true. When you drive a car,
you are subjected to the laws of mechanics and chemistry. Step out of the car and you are under the laws of physiology and biochemistry.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2013, 04:59:40 PM »
Quote:
“This is no joke, but you can become ‘Parabrahman’ right now. Only it is not a commodity that you can acquire. You, a hundred years ago, were the ‘Parabrahman’. Give me all the information about that state of a hundred years back. Focus your attention only on that consciousness ‘I am’. Don’t be led astray by all the so-called spiritual disciplines and rigmaroles.”

“The aim is to awaken yourself to the faith in the self, ‘I am’. That is the entire purpose. So whatever is inductive to that development, you may accept. Suppose you have faith in a living guru, then, accept a living guru. If you have faith in a guru who has left his body, accept that guru.”

“You are the knowledge ‘I am’. So if you want to worship, worship that knowledge ‘I am’. Be devoted to that ‘I amness’ only. When you do that, other rituals become redundant and useless. Finally when you realize that everything is useless, everything is ‘Brahman’, it means you are at the ‘Parabrahman’ level, the absolute level.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

This Teaching is, in my view, almost exactly the same as Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching and is the most wonderful, direct and straight Teaching ever. Sri Bhagwan also taught that if one wants to seek, reach, merge and abide in the Self as the Self, one must love the Self, which is not only an individual’s Self but One Self is the Self of all—world, jivas and God.  Sri Maharaj says here that the aim is to awaken oneself to the faith in the self ‘I am’. How simply, but profoundly, without employing any technical and scriptural terms, but nonetheless, most effectively and wonderfully, He teaches: “You are the knowledge ‘I am’. So if you want to worship, worship that knowledge ‘I am’. Be devoted to that ‘I amness’ only”.

Therefore, all that we have to practice is ‘to be still’ with the remembrance of the feeling ‘I’ or ‘I am’. Sri Maharaj directs us to focus our attention only on that consciousness ‘I am’, or to the knowledge ‘I am’. Thus it is sufficient if we cling to the feeling ‘I’ or the consciousness or the knowledge ‘I am’ uninterruptedly till the very end. Sri Bhagwan has taught that such attention to the feeling or sense of ‘I’, the common daily experience of one and everyone, is what is meant by Self-attention.

Therefore, dear friend, Sri jewell, we are indeed fortunate that we are devoted to this great Teaching, for when we adhere steadfastly to this Teaching, all other rituals become redundant and useless, as Sri Maharaj has taught.

Thanks very much, dear friend Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,Maharaj is using very direct and stright words,pointing always on what Bhagavan calls Self attention and Self abidance. Indeed,thats why i love Him so much,coz He is using simple words to describe everything,always going directly on the point,not using any complicated,Scriptural terms.
When i started this "journey",first Bhagavan found me,and with accepting His teaching,He pointed to me after some time on Maharaj. Then Maharaj found me,and i could say that i have found my Guru. Better to say,and in truth,He found me. Maharaj,my sweet Guru,my All...
From that day i always looked on Him like my Guru and Bhagavan my Sadguru. Well,the Truth is,i find always very hard to separate them. There was some special feeling toward each,very unique.  Which is funny when i look at it,They are verily the same. One,same source,Guru,God,my True Self,Grace and Love. Guru and Sadguru. And so true, teachings are almost the same. In essence they are.

Hold to the knowledge I Am is same Be Still indeed. Because in stillness we abide in that I am. Like You beautifuly said,it is truly common experiences of all. Through the I Am everything else is possible. It is existence,knowledge that we exist,and it is substratum of all. It is indeed very obvious and common to all.

Then,so true,we dont need nothing else,only to Abide in the Self. Direct, Golden way. Simple and in the same time so profound.

Thank You so much,my friend,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 02:28:04 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12:52 AM »

The ‘sadhana’, the discipline, is only this: The knowledge which is dwelling in this body, the quintessence of these three ‘gunas’ – the knowledge ‘I am’, ‘I am that’ – this is the initial step. You must be one with it; you must abide in that only. You have to think ‘I am not the body but I am that formless, nameless knowledge indwelling in this body’; that (is) ‘I am’. When you abide sufficiently long in this state, whatever doubts you may have, that knowledge ‘I am’ itself will sprout out with life and meaning for you, intended for you only, and everything will become clear. No external knowledge will be necessary.

When that witness itself, which is ‘I am’, subsides, what remains? With the witness gone, all other things have disappeared too. By the same token upon the arising of the ‘I am’, the whole manifestation takes place; these two are not separate, they are one, ‘I am’ is the witness, the entire manifest world is because of this.

The primary illusion is only this knowingness ‘I am’, prior to that there was no illusion. This very consciousness is the source of illusion. This illusion or consciousness or ‘I amness’ does not remain as something eternal. It is liberated; this non-eternal consciousness is liberated, when the knowingness is transformed into non-knowingness, that is liberation.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 28, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
Q: People come to you for advice. How do you know what to answer?

NM: As I hear the question, so do I hear the answers.

Q: And how do you know that your answer is right?

NM: Once I know the true source of the answers, I need not doubt  them. From a pure source, only pure water will flow. I am not
concerned with people's desires and fears. I am in tune with the facts, not with opinions. Man takes his name and shape to himself,
while I take nothing to myself. Were I to think myself to be a body known by its name, I would not have been able to answer your
questions. Were I to take you to be a mere body, there would be no benefit to you, from my answers. No true teacher indulges
in opinions. He sees things as they are and shows them as they are. If you take people to be what they think themselves to be,
you will only hurt them, as they hurt themselves so grievously all the time. But if you see them as they are in reality, it will do them
enormous good. If they ask you what to do, what practices to adopt, which way of life to follow, answer: Do nothing, just be.
In Being, all happens naturally.

Arunachala Siva.   

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 30, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »
You are not the personality or the individual. The quintessence of this food, which in turn is the outcome of the five-elemental play, is the taste ‘I am’. ‘I am’ is not a personality or an individual. I am addressing that principle, that touch of ‘I am’, that consciousness which is the product of the food essence body.

Now what is it that we are concerned with? We are dealing with the physical form, which is made up of, and fed by, the five elements. In that form are operating the life force (the vital breath) and this consciousness that is, the knowledge ‘I am’ or the sense of being, the sense of existence. The latter is the ‘sentience’, which is the gift of the consciousness.

You did not have the concept ‘I am’ in the course of the nine months in the womb. Understanding this state of affairs, the concept ‘I am’ comes spontaneously and goes spontaneously. Amazingly, when it appears, it is accepted as real. All subsequent misconceptions arise from the feeling of reality in the ‘I amness’. Try to stabilize in the primary concept ‘I am’, in order to lose that and with it all other concepts. Why am I totally free? Because I have understood the unreality of that ‘I am’.