Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176127 times)

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #285 on: January 20, 2013, 05:17:49 PM »
Quote:

“It’s only this total
absence that doesn’t require anything, is formless,
free and above all. On this stateless state appeared
the ‘I am’ and it caught hold of the body and
believed ‘I am the body’. This very idea is an
impurity, do away with it and abide in the stillness
and silence of the pure ‘I am’ without words, only
then do you stand a chance of reaching your true identity.

“The concept of being born as an individual with a
body and mind has been so strongly hammered into
you that you simply refuse to accept anything that
challenges it. In such a state of being, the truth that
you are the Absolute ‘Parabrahman’ in this very
moment may sound too far-fetched, or like a joke.
You can even become it right now by simply
focusing your attention on the ‘I am’. The moment
you do so you stand apart from the ‘I am’ as a
witness to it. Now, who is this witness?”

Dear Sri Jewell,

This is the most profound Teaching ever that enables us to reach our Real Self, that is, our True Identity or the Atma-swarupa. Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching of the Atma-vichara and Sri Maharaj’s Teaching of abidance in the stillness and silence of the pure ‘I am’ without words cut at the very root of the concept of being born as an individual with a body and the mind.  Sri Maharaj says that on our True Stateless State appeared ‘I am’ and it caught hold of the body and believed ‘I am the body’. Sri Bhagwan says the same, as you quoted in the other thread, that Atma-vichara (self inquiry) alone can reveal the truth that neither the ego nor the mind really exists, and enable one to realize the pure, undifferentiated being of the Self or the absolute.

THEREFORE, BOTH GREAT TEACHINGS, IN MY VIEW, IN ESSENCE, AMOUNT TO THE SAME, “GO THE WAY YOU CAME AND REACH YOUR TRUE IDENTITY, THE SELF OR THE ATMA-SWARUPA”.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2013, 12:36:45 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Indeed,very true,the essence of Maharaj's teaching and Bhagavan's are driiving to the same,first concept,to the root of this ilusion,and the belief that we are this empty shell called body and this mind which made this illusion so persistent and real.

I like this words which He uses:"Total absence,formless and free." Free of everything,stillness,peace. And now and then mind wish to catch hold of that,to understand it. But can that be possible at all. Where is the need,when illusion can never be reality. Thinking betwean these lines,it look s,suddenly,so relaxing. Nowhere to go,nothing to do,just to rest.

These two Great teachings are truly the Supreme,and nothing else we need indeed. Like Bhagavan said:" Be still!" Follow the Best Direct Path and free yourself from burden of duality,from birth and death. Just Be and you will no need to be,and yet you are Reality itself.

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 21, 2013, 05:03:27 AM »
Your birth means the knowledge ‘I am’  **Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj*

*Pradeep Apte*aptep@yahoo.com
I thank my friend *Mr Vijay Deshpande* for sending me a copy of *‘Jean* *Dunn’s Journal’* from which I compiled these excerpts which are in the words of *Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj* as recorded by her from 1977-1981.

My state is such that my very existence, my beingness supports all the activities of the world. I do not directly participate in any of the activities. My presence means the happening of all the activities. This happening of the ‘I amness’ has spontaneously come. Only the cause is given as Prakriti-Purusha or the parents. It is a mere excuse.In trying to understand ourselves, we think we are born of parents and we will die. These are all misunderstandings. This beingness has come and will depart. There is no question of death.This Maya misguided me completely. They showed me my parents and called me a person. This Maya showed me the wrong direction. All this misdirection is due to the parents. Without my beingness nothing exists.So many people come and go. Actually what happens is that they dive deeply into the ocean of beingness.My state is the eternal state, prior to any happening, prior to any feelings, so why the hell should I dive into this ocean of beingness? Because, I already exist prior to the consciousness. That no-knowing Absolute state is not a subject matter to understand. Why did that no-knowingness state get involved in this knowingness state?When it is understood that the body is not one’s self, then one loses individuality and merges into the total manifestation. There is no self and other. When this is understood and the individuality lost, then whatever takes place in the world is realized to be merely the functioning and is only witnessed. There is no involvement.That which is apparent and present will disappear and that which is absent (not being phenomenally present) will remain for all time. Knowing this I am also aware that only that which is apparent can suffer and the suffering is to such an extent that even weeping won’t help. But only witnessing takes place. All experience, all knowledge that is generally accepted as knowledge, lasts only from the point the consciousness arose to the point where the consciousness disappears. That which I consider knowledge exists prior to the arrival of consciousness and lasts after the disappearance of the consciousness.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 21, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
Q: Forgive me a strange question. If somebody with a razor sharp sword should suddenly sever your head. what difference would
it make to you?

NM: None whatsoever. Just like a fire can outlast a mountain of fuel, so does Consciousness survive innumerable bodies and remain
eternal and ever lasting.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 21, 2013, 06:18:44 PM »
Once the consciousness disappears, all that has appeared will disappear. The substratum, that knowledge which was there before the arrival of the consciousness, will remain even after the disappearance of the consciousness.I am at real peace when that which I am remains unalloyed. If it is alloyed with something and so long as I am conscious of it, there is still that sense of duality. Only when there is complete separation from it and I am in my own true nature, only then there is total peace. So long as consciousness is there and I want the consciousness, still the fact remains that I am one with consciousness and there is a sense of duality. Only when there is unawareness of awareness can there be complete peace and that can be only when the consciousness is not there.On my original state, when I was unaware of my awareness, this state of consciousness has come and gives me a sense of presence. It is the presence which is overbearing and overpowering me. The every sense of presence keeps me in bondage so I want that sense of presence to go away so that I can be in my original state.Your birth means the knowledge ‘I am’. This is relating to your body. The very seed of your birth contains the entire universe and cosmos. Go to that borderline which indicates from no-knowing to knowing state. Be there. The truth cannot be experienced. The truth is non-experiential, non-observable. Whatever you see and experience is natural, spontaneous. It is not indicative of personality or individuality.How long I was unaware of my awareness one doesn’t know, then suddenly this consciousness arises; so that consciousness which is latent in that awareness, for how long one doesn’t know, suddenly comes about, starts stirring. Does anyone think along these lines?  Awareness is not aware of its awareness.Once you know that you are, then everything is. When you don’t know that you are, nothing is. Whatever is witnessing is whole, total and complete. But when there is witnessing, it is incomplete.The Absolute can never be experienced; it is not an objective affair. When the light of the Self reflects on something, then witnessing of that something happens. When the Absolute puts the light, let us call it the light, in consciousness, consciousness knows ‘I am’.The Absolute Ultimate Identity of yours has no knowingness. It does not know itself. It is. Only through the consciousness, the witnessing happens to the Absolute, of the consciousness and because of the Absolute the consciousness knows ‘I am’.In my original state, I was awake, I was never asleep, and nobody else had told me, I know it for myself. There is no proof for it. This something I know intuitively, as a fact. It is not theoretical theory, it is fact that I know. In my perfect state I am perfect, total, and complete. I don’t know I am. There is nobody else except myself.

This and above quote is taken from Pradeep Apte's blog Nisargadatta Sadhana

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 21, 2013, 06:24:26 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Nice article. The consciousness for worldly activities will disappear. The Consciousness is eternal, ever present, form less and name less.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 21, 2013, 06:38:56 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Yes,the consciousness of You,me and the world will disapear,only Awareness will stay,i guess. Maharaj makes difference betvean consciousness and awareness,coz in and through consciousness is the world and everything,the I Am. He is talking about Absolute state,stateless state,beyond the manifestation,how i understood. The state free of being and duality whatsoever. And thats why the mind will never understand it,coz the mind is dual by its nature. That brings the question that even Awareness,like Maharaj said,cannot be there either. Aware of what?! That will stay,only "That".
 ???
With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 06:50:41 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 21, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
Dear Jewell,

Yes. However Sri Bhagavan uses consciousness and Consciousness in several places.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 21, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Quote:
Sri NIsaragadatta Maharaj: “How long I was unaware of my awareness one doesn’t know, then suddenly this consciousness arises; so that consciousness which is latent in that awareness, for how long one doesn’t know, suddenly comes about, starts stirring. Does anyone think along these lines? Awareness is not aware of its awareness”

Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes. In Sri Maharaj’s Teaching, by consciousness is meant only objective consciousness or dual consciousness (suttarivu). The Absolute Consciousness or the Consciousness is represented by Awareness in His Teaching. It is Awareness Absolute such that ‘Awareness is not aware of Its awareness’.

Quote from Sri Jewell:
“And now and then mind wish to catch hold of that,to understand it. But can that be possible at all. Where is the need,when illusion can never be reality. Thinking betwean these lines,it look s,suddenly,so relaxing. Nowhere to go,nothing to do,just to rest.”

Dear Sri Jewell, your perception of the problem of the mind wishing or rising to understand is so vivid. The same has been portrayed in the ‘Ramana Puranam’ wonderfully thus:

When the ‘I’ thought does not arise,
and I unite [as pure being] with Him,
He remains merged with me
shining out as my very own fullness.
However, the very moment
I raise my head [thinking ‘I’],
to perceive His ancient form
He sees my oddness, scorns me,
and conceals Himself from me.

If I then bow down my head and die,
He flourishes within me,
shining His light as before.
Thus, the majesty of the Lord
will shine forth
only before the ‘I’ arises,
and after the ‘I’ subsides.
Who, then will have the power
to tell of His greatness?

Thanks very much.
Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 21, 2013, 10:40:45 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Beautiful words from Bhagavan! Yes indeed,they are telling exsactly about impossible attempt of the mind to know the nature of Reality. When there is the mind,the Self is hidden from it,where is no mind,the Self is shining Eternaly.

Thank You Very much!

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:06:06 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 22, 2013, 02:59:26 AM »
Give all your attention to the ‘I am’, which is timeless presence, the ‘I am’ applies to all, come back to it repeatedly.
Use your memory to go back in time to the stage when you just came to know that ‘you are’ without words.
Did you have a sense of time then?Did you know who you are or who your parents are?
Did you know where you were geographically located? You knew none of these, it was a timeless presence,
you did of course know space which came with the ‘I am’, but not time, and this timeless presence
applies to all. Come back to this timeless and wordless ‘I am’ again and again.
Hang on to the ‘I am’ and go beyond it, without the ‘I am’ you are at peace and happy.
Right now you have this ‘I am’, hang on to it, it is the only means you have to go beyond,and there is nothing else.
And what has this ‘I am’ given you but conflict and misery? It came, it identified with the body
and you became an individual, now go back, come to the ‘I am’, transcend it and be peaceful and happy.
Hold on to the ‘I am’ to the exclusion of everything else, the ‘I am’ in movement
creates the world, the ‘I am’ at peace becomes the Absolute. Leave everything aside
and just grab hold of the ‘I am’. Just observe its power, its stirrings, and its movements
that created the world along with which came all this turmoil and misery. Come back to the
‘I am’ and let the ‘I am’ be in the ‘I am’. Then it becomes still and disappears, and then there is
peace, for there is only the Absolute now.
Immortality is freedom from the feeling ‘I am’, to have that freedom remain in the
sense ‘I am’, it’s simple, it’s crude, yet it works! The feeling ‘I am’ is dormant at birth, it appears
spontaneously say around the age of three. It is the essence of the five elements that make up the body
or the food body. The body is a limitation, and as long as the ‘I am’ identifies itself with the body
there is no chance of freedom, and death is certain.  Eternity or immortality is possible only when you
are free from the ‘I am’. For this freedom to accrue you have to be after the ‘I am’, understand it, abide
in it and transcend it. Judging from the enormous amount of spiritual literature available, the
understanding, abidance and transcendence of the ‘I am’ appears to be too simple and crude
a ‘Sadhana’ or practice, yet it works!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:21 AM »
In the womb the knowledge ‘I am’ is
dormant. It is the birth principle which contains everything.
The knowledge ‘I am’ is an assertive phenomenon
which is very strong and prevalent throughout
nature. The ‘I am’ is there in the egg released from
the ovum in the female and also in every sperm of
the male rapidly running towards the egg in the
womb. When the sperms hover around the egg
they are desperate to penetrate it and complete the
process of the conception of another ‘I am’. Finally
one of them manages to enter, fertilization occurs
and a new ‘I am’ is conceived. Thereafter it is a
multiplication and differentiation process forming
the embryo followed by the fetus in the womb. Each
cell of the fetus carries the ‘I am’ which lies
dormant in the womb - and it is the ‘I am’ that is
born. The ‘I am’ contains everything and asserts
itself strongly throughout the life of the body that is
born, of course mistakenly believing itself to be the body!

The birth principle is ‘Turiya’ (the
fourth state) which means ‘where consciousness is’.
Careful observation of the whole process of
reproduction, either sexual or other types prevalent
in nature, has shown that it is a strongly self
assertive phenomenon. Every living species wants
to propagate and perpetuate and the self assertive
‘I am’ is the birth principle that is integral to the
whole process.  Since the birth principle was
difficult to define or classify, it was simply called
‘Turiya’ by the ancient thinkers. The word ‘Turiya’
means ‘the fourth’, i.e. the fourth state of
consciousness that lies at the very base of the other three,
which are: waking, dream and deep sleep. It
also means ‘where the consciousness is’.

The experience that ‘I am’ or you
exist is ‘Turiya’. One who knows
‘Turiya’ is ‘Turiyatita’ (beyond the
fourth state), which is my state.
The ‘Turiya’ is absolutely fundamental to your
being and usually you are not aware of that state
due to your cycling through the other three states
which you are well aware of. The ‘Turiya’ is the ‘I
am’ in its pure wordless form and the one who
understands and transcends it is called ‘Turiyatita’
(the one beyond the fourth state), which is the state
of the Guru.

‘Turiya’ or ‘I am’ is within
consciousness, which is the product of five elements.
Being beyond the ‘Turiya’, the Guru knows it very
well and says that the ‘Turiya’ or the ‘I am’ is the
birth principle and is within the consciousness.
And, what is this consciousness or the ‘I am’? It is
a product of the five elements that make up the
body. It is the very essence of the five elements
and the three qualities and keeps on ‘humming’
throughout your life.

In order to stabilize in the ‘I am’ or
‘Turiya’ you must understand this birthprinciple.
The Guru once again stresses the importance of
understanding the ‘Turiya’, or the ‘I am’, in order
to get stabilized in it. For this you will have to
repeatedly go back to that moment when the ‘I am’
first appeared on you. The ‘Turiya’, which lay
dormant from the day of your conception, suddenly
or spontaneously popped up and you came to know
that ‘you are’. This wordless state of ‘Turiya’
prevailed for some time wherein you only knew
that ‘I am’ and ‘I am not’. Gradually, as a process
of your conditioning, the ‘I am’ soon identified
itself with the body and you became an individual
(Mr. or Ms. ‘so-and-so’) living in the world. The
three states of waking, dreaming and deep sleep
took over and you forgot the background ‘Turiya’.

‘Turiya’ or ‘I am’ is always
described as the witness state that sees
through the waking, dreaming and
sleeping. And ‘Turiyatita’ is even beyond that.
Further commenting on the ‘Turiya’ the Guru
describes it as the ‘witness’ or the witnessing state
that lies behind the waking, dreaming and deep
sleep states; it does all the witnessing through
these three states. Deep earnest meditation as
prescribed by the Guru is required in order to get
stabilized in the ‘Turiya’ or the ‘I am’, and only
then you stand a chance of transcending the ‘I am’
and becoming a ‘Turiyatita’, the one beyond the
‘Turiya’ or the ‘I am’.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 23, 2013, 01:20:37 PM »

Q: Surely, you will also die.

NM: Life will escape, the body will die, but it will not affect me in the least. Beyond space and time, I AM, uncaused, uncausing,
yet, the very matrix of existence.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 23, 2013, 07:29:04 PM »
Quote:
“The experience that ‘I am’ or you
exist is ‘Turiya’. One who knows
‘Turiya’ is ‘Turiyatita’ (beyond the
fourth state), which is my state.
The ‘Turiya’ is absolutely fundamental to your
being and usually you are not aware of that state
due to your cycling through the other three states
which you are well aware of. The ‘Turiya’ is the ‘I
am’ in its pure wordless form and the one who
understands and transcends it is called ‘Turiyatita’
(the one beyond the fourth state), which is the state
of the Guru.”

Dear Sri Jewell,
This is a very beautiful, elaborate and comprehensive Teaching of Sri Maharaj with regard to Turiya and Turiyatita. Essence of the Teaching remains the same though Sri Bhagwan uses only different terms to express the same Truth. For instance, Sri Bhagwan says that our real state is what is sometimes called Turiya or the fourth state which is always as it is and knows nothing of three states, viz., waking, dream and sleep. Because we call these as three states we call the Turiya as the fourth state. BUT IT IS NOT A STATE BUT THE REAL AND NATURAL STATE OF THE SELF. He says that it is the Turiya State of the Self, on which as the screen, all the three states of waking, dream and sleep pass, leaving the screen unaffected. Sri Bhagwan says that when this is realised, we know that it is not Turiya or fourth state, for a fourth state is only relative, but TURIYATITA, THE TRANSCENDENTAL STATE, WHICH IS SOMETIMES CALLED THE FOURTHE STATE.

Thanks very much, dear Sri jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 24, 2013, 01:26:50 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes indeed,the essence of both Great teachings are very the same,only Bhagavan uses defferent words and expressions. The turiya state is the background of all states,and the witness of them. It is the I Am in its purity,Pure consciousness,not identified with anything. Pure existence. And,like Maharaj said,our True state is even beyond that,beyond existence,coz existence is by itself illusion. It is only that I Am which is humming and brings the world and everything with it. Our True nature appears to be complete silence,nothingess,free of everything and perfect. And indeed,when through inquiry we become aware of of that witness,there appears to be witness of that witness too.
Both,Bhagavan and Maharaj stress the need to abide in that I am,pure consciousness,how can we understand it,and in that way transcedent it. It is the root of the illusion.

Great,Great teachings!

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,