Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 176826 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #270 on: January 15, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
The only ‘Sadhana’ (practice) is to think: I am not the body,
I am the formless, nameless knowledge ‘I am’ indwelling in this body.
It is stated very clearly that there is only one ‘Sadhana’ (practice) to undertake and that is to
abide in the knowledge ‘I am’ indwelling in this body.
This has to be done by bearing in mind three things:
firstly that I am not the body,
secondly that this knowledge is formless and thirdly that it is nameless or wordless.
This can be done if you go back to the moment when this feeling ‘I am’ first appeared on you.
During the initial period that followed after its appearance the ‘I am’ was in its
purest state and these three criteria applied to it.
   This done, you will not need to do anything else.
When you abide for a sufficiently long time in the ‘I am’,
the knowledge ‘I am’ itself will make everything clear to you.
No external knowledge will be necessary.
To begin with, the ‘I am’ has to be completely understood and retraced back to its pure state
when you were not aware of the body. At that time the ‘I am’ was wordless,
formless and purely a feeling that ‘you are’. Having caught the ‘I am’
you have now to abide in it for a sufficiently long time,
this reversion and abidance will have to be done repeatedly.
In the process the knowledge ‘I am’ will befriend you and reveal its secret, and
then no external knowledge will be required

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 15, 2013, 11:41:23 PM »

When you clearly see that it is the ‘I am’ that is born,
you stand apart from it as the unborn.
The belief that you are born and will die one day is embedded very strongly in you at present
and hence fear ever prevails.
Following the Guru’s teaching you go back and come to the knowledge ‘I am’
and dwell there for a sufficient amount of time.
It is during this period of abidance in the ‘I am’ that a moment comes when you see very clearly
that it is the ‘I am’ that is born.
When you see this, you stand apart from it as the unborn, something which occurs almost immediately.

Once the ‘I am’ goes, what remains is the Original which is unconditioned, without attributes or identity.
This is called ‘Parabrahma’, or the Absolute.
The departure of the ‘I am’, marks the end of all concepts, or ‘the illusion’.
You are no longer a conditioned individual but stand as the Original -
and the Original has no attributes or identity.
How could the formless, nameless infinite have any attributes or identity? It is the very basis.
All that we see with attributes or identity have only appeared on it,
which again are based on the fundamental primordial concept or illusion ‘I am’.
Since the only means of communication we have is words or language,
this infinite has been called the ‘Parabrahman’ or the Absolute.

The absence of ‘I am’ is not experienced by ‘someone’; it has to be understood in such a manner
that the experiencer and the experience are one.
You are so deeply rooted in duality that you always feel that there must be ‘someone’ who will
experience nothingness, the void, space or the absence of ‘I am’.
It is impossible for the mind to conceive of a state of non-duality because it can
function only in a dual or subject-object mode.
Thus, obviously, the mind has to stop or you have to transcend the mind,
and for that to happen you have to come to the ‘I am’, which is the point from
where the mind begins.
When you abide in the ‘I am’, a moment comes when it disappears and then the experiencer
and the experience merge and what remains is your true natural state, beyond words or description.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 16, 2013, 10:14:07 AM »
Q: If one is an artist, the essence of art is communication of feeling, of experience.

NM: To receive communication, you must be receptive.

Q: Of course. There must be a receiver. But if the transmitter does not transmit, of what use is the receiver?

NM: The Jnani belongs to all. He gives himself tirelessly and completely to whoever comes to him. If he is not a giver, he is
not a Jnani. Whatever he has, he shares.

Q: But can he share what he is? (his real nature).

NM: You mean, can he other into Jnanis? Yes and No. No, since Jnanis are not made, they realize themselves as such, when
they return to the source, their real nature. I cannot make you into what you already are. All I can tell you is the way, I traveled
and invite you to take it.

Arunachala Siva.         

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2013, 12:31:02 AM »
The knowledge ‘I am’, which appeared in childhood, is a cheat as it has made you believe the illusion is true.
See how this knowledge ‘I am’ is a friend and foe as well. As a friend it can show you the way out, but, as a foe,
it has tricked you into believing you are a body. It has conned you into imagining you are a person born in this world,
and that one day you will die. This Janus-like nature of the ‘I am’ has to be understood, it is the lord of the gates with
two opposing faces.
This knowledge ‘I am’ has dawned on you, thereafter witnessing began.
That ‘One’ who witnesses is separate from what is witnessed.
This knowledge ‘I am’ has come uncalled, it has appeared or dawned on you without your asking for it.
It came very spontaneously and swiftly, and before even you could do anything the witnessing of space began.
The ‘I am’ and space came together, you ‘saw’ and felt the body and started identifying the ‘I am’ with it.
In the process of going back you ponder on the question ‘who is witnessing?’ or ‘On whom did this ‘I am’ appear?’
Then you realize that the ‘One’ who witnesses has to stand apart from what is witnessed, and that this
‘One’ has been forever there.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 17, 2013, 12:43:24 AM »
When you meditate on the knowledge ‘I am’, which is the beginning of knowledge, how can there be any questions?
Do you or do you not always have some question or the other, or some doubt at the back of your mind when you indulge in any activity?
Exactly the same happens when you enter the field of spirituality and begin meditation.
The biggest question which usually lingers in the background is ‘Is this all going to work or am I wasting time?
But what happens when you meditate on the knowledge ‘I am’ as prescribed? How can there be any question now?
If you have correctly understood the ‘I am’, you will see that it is the very beginning of knowledge, the ‘I am’ in its utmost purity.
As a part of the practice you have to abide in the ‘I am’ and not move from it.
If a question arises you can rest assured that you have wavered, or are no longer abiding in the ‘I am’. In fact, this is a very useful
means of assessing your progress in the ‘Sadhana’ (practice): the objective is to arrive at a stage when there are no questions arising anymore.

Use name, form and design only for worldly activities, otherwise just hold on to the knowledge ‘I am’ without body
awareness – beyond name, form or design. Although you maybe abiding in the ‘I am’, physically you are still lodged in the body,
something you cannot do away with. You have a name, form and design assigned to you by the world.
Well, since the world itself has given you all these, you may as well use these for all the worldly activities. Bear in mind always,
at all times and unwaveringly that you are none of these; they are only available to you.
Activities may go on, but you must keep holding on to the knowledge ‘I am’ without the body awareness.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:57 PM »
Quote:
“If a question arises you can rest assured that you have wavered, or are no longer abiding in the ‘I am’. In fact, this is a very useful
means of assessing your progress in the ‘Sadhana’ (practice): the objective is to arrive at a stage when there are no questions arising anymore.”

Dear Sri Jewell,
This is indeed the cardinal Teaching of the Sadguru, which we should assimilate rather well. If we do this consistently and is well ingrained, it acts like a magnetic compass which always moves to the north, that is, we always come to our Real Self. Sri Bhagwan also taught the same. For, instance, Sri Bhagwan said that the degree of absence of thoughts is the measure of our progress towards Self-Realisation. But Self-Realisation itself does not admit of progress; it is ever the same. The Self remains always in realization. The obstacles are thoughts. Progress is measured by the degree of removal of the obstacles to understanding that the Self is always realized. SO THOUGHTS MUST BE CHECKED BY SEEKING TO WHOM THEY ARISE. AND THUS WE GO TO OUR SOURCE, WHERE THEY DO NOT ARISE (Talk—618).  Therefore both Teachings amount to the same. If thoughts or questions arise we can rest assured that we have wavered and is therefore time to come back to ourselves.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Jewell.
Pranam,
  Anil     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 17, 2013, 10:26:17 PM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,that is very important part,absence of questions. It means that we dont need to know anymore,coz the one who is traying to know is the false one,one who will never know,the one who can know only object,and not something which is beyond knowing and not knowing. Like You said,the Supreme is as it is,it doasnt need realisation. It is the ego,the mind which needs it. It is again the thought.

Then,indeed,the best thing is to stay with root couse of illusion,and keep coming back until it becomes the habit. It is truly Supreme teaching of Sadguru,and the only thing which needs to be done. All questions belongs to this false entety,and it will never be satisfied with any answer,coz there is no one.
Then,what remains is to be still,and that is only possible with abindance in I Am,or Being.

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 18, 2013, 02:50:20 AM »

Go on to know the ‘I am’ without words, you must be that and not deviate from it for even a moment,
and then it will disappear. The knowledge ‘I am’, to which you have to come back, is the very first one that appeared on you
and you came to know that ‘you are’. At that moment you knew nothing about words or language, that
sense of being was non-verbal. You will have to apply yourself to grasp that state again, you have lived that state,
it was the period from when the ‘I am’ arose till you were taught to communicate verbally using words.
Come back to that state and do not deviate from there for even a moment, you have to relive that state,
only then will you understand it and then it will disappear!

On your true state has arisen this subtle principle ‘I am’, which is the
cause of all mischief. No ‘I am’, no question of mischief.
This subtle principle ‘I am’, which is subtler than the mind, has appeared on your True state. After it
appeared it remained in a pure state for some time and then began the piling up of words, language and concepts.
The ‘I am’ was now verbal and identified itself with body, you became ‘so-and-so’ living in this world as a person.
Your mind developed and became a workshop of mischief, but the root cause was the ‘I am’. Now you have come
back to that ‘I am’, the primary mischief-monger, you meditate on it and realize its falseness and it disappears.
You have now transcended the ‘I am’ so where is the question of any mischief?

Try to stabilize in the primary concept ‘I am’ in order to lose that and be free from all other concepts,
in understating the unreality of the ‘I am’ you are totally free. You are in turmoil, you are in despair, you are afraid,
and you are troubled with all this mess that you see around yourself. You seek freedom from all this.
You meet the Guru in some form, either human or his words recorded in books, and he explains to you all
about the ‘I am’ and its implications. Once he has done that, it is now up to you to do as he says. Come down
to the primary concept ‘I am’, abide in it and understand its unreality and be totally free. Always bear in mind
that whatever the Guru says is from his own experience and not hearsay.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 18, 2013, 02:14:01 PM »
Q: Which desires are cogent?

NM: Desires which destroy their subjects, or objects, or do not subside on satisfaction, are self contradictory and cannot
be fulfilled. Only desires motivated by love, goodwill, and compassion are beneficial to both the subjects and objects and
can be fully satisfied.

Arunachala Siva.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »

Putting aside everything, stabilize in the ‘I am’. As you continue with this practice,
in the process you will transcend the ‘I am’.
Just throw aside everything that does not go with the ‘I am’, get your self firmly established there.
Again and again, repeatedly and tirelessly you have to continue with the practice of getting
stabilized in the ‘I am’. Then, at some moment, when the God ‘I am’ is pleased with you, he will
release his stranglehold and you will transcend it and become the Absolute.

The very core of this consciousness is the quality ‘I am’, there is no personality or individual there,
reside there and transcend it. The feeling that ‘you are’ or ‘I am’ is the very core of this consciousness
and common to all. It is there at the core in its absolute purity with no appendages or add-ons,
and in that state there is no question of any individuality or personality. All your efforts should be
directed towards coming to that pure state of ‘I am’ and reside there only.
If you do this with great sincerity and earnestness you are bound to transcend the ‘I am’ one day.
So understand the importance of earnest ‘being’.

Worship the knowledge ‘I am’ as God, as your Guru, the message ‘I am’ is there, the mind-flow is there,
stay in the ‘I am’ and realize you are neither. You must not only understand the ‘I am’, but also realize
its extreme importance.  Everything is created by the ‘I am’, worship it as God. 
It is the only means for your way out, so treat it like your guide or Guru. To begin with what do you have but
the knowledge ‘I am’- only without words? Later comes the verbal ‘I am’, your gathering of concepts
and thus begins the mind-flow. Now reverse this mind-flow, come to the verbal ‘I am’ and go past it
and stabilize in the non-verbal ‘I am’. In this process you shall realize that you are none of these.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 19, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
Q: I do get into peculiar states of deep absorption into myself but unpredictably and momentarily. I do not feel myself to be in
control of such states.

NM: The body is a material thing and needs time to change. The mind is but a set of mental habits, of ways of thinking and feeling,
and to change they must be brought to the surface and examined. This also takes time. Just resolve and persevere, the rest wil
take care of itself

Arunachala Siva.       

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:38 PM »
Quote:
“The very core of this consciousness is the quality ‘I am’, there is no personality or individual there,
reside there and transcend it. The feeling that ‘you are’ or ‘I am’ is the very core of this consciousness
and common to all. It is there at the core in its absolute purity with no appendages or add-ons,
and in that state there is no question of any individuality or personality. All your efforts should be
directed towards coming to that pure state of ‘I am’ and reside there only.
If you do this with great sincerity and earnestness you are bound to transcend the ‘I am’ one day.
So understand the importance of earnest ‘being’.”

Dear Sri Jewell,

How wonderful and enlightening are the Words of Sri Maharaj! Yes, all our efforts should be directed to reach that Pure State of ‘I Am’ and once reached, we should abide there only, till abidance is effortless. In that State there is no question of any trace of individuality or personality—gross or subtle, for it is sure to get burnt in the great Fire of Knowledge, in the Jnanagni.

Thanks very much, dear Sri Jewell, for making available for us the great and enlightening Percept of the Sadguru.

Pranam,
  Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2013, 05:23:27 AM »
Dear Sri Anil,

Yes,the words of Maharaj are truly Wonderful,they reach my very being. From the first moment i heard them,they were like tunder for me. And He is pointing on the very essence,simply and strightforwardly. Beautiful,Golden,Sacred Guru words. Hold on to I Am and everything will be taken care of.

Thank You Very much,dear Sri Anil!

With love and prayers,

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »

Before you occurred to yourself as ‘I
am’ you were the highest: Parabrahman.
Now, until the impurity of ‘I am the
body’ disappears stay put in the ‘I am’ quietude.
You will have to apply your mind and go back to
the moment when you first came to know
that ‘you are’ or the ‘I am’ appeared on you.
Now just wait here…prior to this what were you?
Go back further…prior to conception what or where you
were. Nothing! That’s it! You were the highest, the
Absolute or the Parabrahman. It’s only this total
absence that doesn’t require anything, is formless,
free and above all. On this stateless state appeared
the ‘I am’ and it caught hold of the body and
believed ‘I am the body’. This very idea is an
impurity, do away with it and abide in the stillness
and silence of the pure ‘I am’ without words, only
then do you stand a chance of reaching your true identity.

Your fall started with the appearance
of ‘I am’, then you blundered by
embracing the body as ‘I am’, all that
gathered thereafter is unreal.
The very appearance of ‘I am’ was the first
deception, more deception followed when the ‘I
am’ embraced the body.  This is the deceptive
foundation which caused you to blunder and build
upon it this mansion of your individuality. Your
very base, the ‘I am’, is false or unreal, so how can
anything that followed thereafter be real? Just see
how you have been tricked into believing
something that is totally unreal.

This is no joke, you can become
Parabrahman right now! You are
Parabrahman right now! Just focus your
attention on the ‘I am’.

The concept of being born as an individual with a
body and mind has been so strongly hammered into
you that you simply refuse to accept anything that
challenges it. In such a state of being, the truth that
you are the Absolute ‘Parabrahman’ in this very
moment may sound too far-fetched, or like a joke.
You can even become it right now by simply
focusing your attention on the ‘I am’. The moment
you do so you stand apart from the ‘I am’ as a
witness to it. Now, who is this witness?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2013, 01:35:04 PM »
Q: What is meditation and what are its uses?

NM: As long as you are a beginner, certain formalized meditation or prayers may be good for you. But for a seeker for Reality,
there is only one meditation - the rigorous refusal to harbor thoughts. To be free from  thoughts is itself  meditation.

Arunachala Siva.