Author Topic: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj  (Read 177882 times)

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
Is it necessary that you should remember that you are (‘I am’)? Spontaneously you know and remember that you are. That is why you have come here, have you not? Because you are. Stay put there.

Guru means the ‘I amness’ itself, which always reminds you ‘I am’, ‘I am’, ‘I am’ – that is guru-guru-guru, like the sound of a motorcar starting. It is a continuous reminder that you are.

Are you not even before you have spoken the words ‘I am’? Stay put there only. There begins your spirituality, the foremost ‘you’, ‘I am’ without words, before the beginning of words. Be there; out of that grows the experience ‘I am’.Witnessing happens to that principle which prior to your saying the words ‘I am’. There is no such thing as deliberate witnessing. Witnessing just happens, by itself.

From Experience of Nothingness, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
compiled by Pradeep Apte
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 04:54:30 AM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
Re: Quotes of Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
Not an individual but the knowledge ‘I am’ must go to its source. Out of the no-being state comes the beingness. It comes as quietly as twilight, just a feel of ‘I am’ and then suddenly the space is there. In the space, the movement starts with the air, the fire, the water, and the earth. All these five elements are you only. Out of your consciousness all this has happened. There is no individual. There is only you, the total functioning is you, the consciousness is you.

Not an individual but the knowledge ‘I am’ must go to its source. Out of the no-being state comes the beingness. It comes as quietly as twilight, just a feel of ‘I am’ and then suddenly the space is there. In the space, the movement starts with the air, the fire, the water, and the earth. All these five elements are you only. Out of your consciousness all this has happened. There is no individual. There is only you, the total functioning is you, the consciousness is you.

In the body the indwelling principle is the consciousness. Abiding in the consciousness, it became all manifestation. Now transcendence of the consciousness has also occurred. With the appearance of consciousness, the Absolute knows it is, ‘I am’. This is the experience. There are other experiences now, in this time factor, but experiences are gradually dropping off, including this primary experience ‘I am’. It is only the consciousness that is going to disappear; the Absolute is always there.

Consciousness and The Absolute, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:22:29 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 05:26:19 PM »
You have to stabilize in your present true nature, ‘I am’. All other secondary and redundant objects should be got rid of. Do not focus you attention on any of these things. The whole process is to be in your source. At present, what is your source? ‘I am’. Catch hold of that ‘I amness’ and be in it. You have to realize your own self. You must be at the borderline between ‘I am’ and ‘Not-‘I am’’.

You abide in that knowledge ‘I am’. You should understand that your destination is your own self, the ‘I am’. It is the very source of everything; That ‘I am’ is to be realized. Because ‘you are’, the consciousness is. Before you say ‘I am’ you already are. ‘I am’ – the word or the ‘I am’ feeling that you get inside you – is not eternal. But you are eternal and ancient.

That ultimate state is known as ‘vishranti’, which means total rest, complete relaxation, utter quietude etc. The other meaning, by splitting the word, would be, ‘vishara (visra)-anti’ – forget yourself in the end. That means in the ultimate state, ‘you-areness’ is totally forgotten. Whether ‘I am’ or ‘I am not’ both are forgotten. This is the highest type of rest – ‘parama-vishranti’.

From The Nectar of Immortality, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:35:19 PM »

On the state of ‘non-beingness’, the beingness appeared together with manifestation, creating a feeling as if ‘I am’; who that is, is not important, only ‘I am’ is important. The initial humming of the beingness as ‘I am, I am’ is the duality. But who accepts the duality? The ‘non-beingness’ accepts duality with the beingness. The Absolute ‘non-being’ state, by assuming the being state, becomes dual in manifestation.

First you have what is called ‘atma-bhava’ – that is the ‘I am’ sense. Later, this sense identifies with the form of a body, when it is called ‘aham-akar’, the ‘I am’ form, this is ego. Ego is never a title or name, but just a sense of ‘I am’ prior to words. The waking state, the sleep state and the knowingness ‘I am’ constitute an ego. In the absence of these three states what do you think you are? What would be the evidence of your existence?

A ‘jnani’ knows that he has realized when he recognizes his knowingness, which is the sense of ‘I am’. Right here and now you are in the realized state. But you try to judge it through desires and mind-concepts, hence your inability to apperceive it and abide in it. In the ‘jnani’ state, there is no need for anything, not even to know oneself. You are attached to the body-senses, therefore even though you may attain an age of hundred years, you still would crave for more years.

From The Nectar of Immortality, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:11:52 PM »
Dear Jewll,

Sri Bhagavan says that the difference between God and man is only the upadhi, adjunct, which is in effect the
essence of mind/ego, I and mine. If this upadhi leaves then man becomes God. When the ego/mind go away,
one should be able to realize the shining Self or God.

I am ness is the essence, I and mine are adjuncts.

Sri Bhagavan describes this in Verse 25 of Upadesa Undiyar in Tamizh, (Upadesa Saram in Sanskrit):     

தன்னை உபாதி விட்டு ஒர்வதுதான் ஈசன்
தன்னை உணர்வதாம் உந்தீபற
தானாய் ஒளிர்வதால் உந்தீபற

Here in the above verse, orvathu is constant self attention, that after ridding I and mine.
Unarvathu is a special word. It means experience and merely the feeling. The feelings can be
expressed. The experience can not be expressed.  oLirvathal means it shines, of its own effulgence.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir, Yes,it shines of its own effulgence. So,when the ego,or I goes,what is left is our true nature. And,even,there is no one there who will realise that,coz only ego can realize something. But,is it not I amness same I,or me? I see it that way.

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 02:36:48 AM »
Paths and movements cannot transport you into Reality,because their function is to enmesh you within the dimensions of knowlege,while Reality prevails prior to it. To apprehend this,you must stay put at the source of your creation,at the beginning of the knowlege "I am". So long as you do not achieve this,you will be entangled in the chains forged by your mind and get enmeshed in those of others.  From The Nectar of Immortality, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 02:22:30 PM »
To start with you have to be in that beingness or 'I am' without the body sense. You feel that you are the body now,but when you abide in that beingness you will know then how are you without body sense.. But dont forget,in the same time,that body and the vital breath are very necessary. Once you understand these three entities correctly(body,vital breath and message 'I am'),then you are apart. From Seeds of Consciousness

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 02:28:56 PM »
The 'I am' connotes the three states,walking,dream and deep sleep. 'I am' means that you are these three states,when these are gone,the memory is also gone.  From Seeds of Consciousness

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »
What makes the present so different? Obviously,my presence,I am real for 'I am', always Now,in the present,and what is with me now shares in my reality. The past is in memory,the future-in imagination. There is nothing in the present event itself that makes it stand out as real. A thing focused in the Now is with me,for I am always present,it is my own reality that I impart to the present event.   From I am That, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:17:46 PM by Jewell »

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 05:37:42 PM »
Quote:
“What makes the present so different? Obviously,my presence,I am real for 'I am', always Now,in the present,and what is with me now shares in my reality. The past is in memory,the future-in imagination. There is nothing in the present event itself that makes it stand out as real. A thing focused in the Now is with me,for I am always present,it is my own reality that I impart to the present event. For I am That, Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj”

Dear Sri Jewell,

This is very beautiful quote from Sri Nisaragadatta Maharaj. There is neither a thing or an event, nor time, nor space in the Reality. Only Reality is Here and Now, nay, Reality is only the Presence, that is, Self-Consciousness, “I AM”. A thing or an event focussed in the Now is IN and WITH my Presence. Yes, My Presence imparts reality to a thing or an event focussed in the Now, resulting in an illusory experience. 

Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil 

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
Thank You dear Sri Anil!

That Now is same like Be still for me.
'There is nothing in the present event itself that makes it stand out as real. A thing focused in the Now is with me,for I am always present,it is my own reality that I impart to the present event.'-that is the core message i think.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »
Dear Sri Jewell,

Yes, that, in my view, is true. That 'Stillness', Sri Bhagwan speaks of, is synonyms with the 'Presence', or 'Silence', or the Self, or 'I am'. Thanks very much. However one must not mistake it for a state akin to the state of indolence.

Pranam,
 Anil

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
" However one must not mistake it for a state akin to the state of indolence."
Sure not dear Sri Anil. There is no indolence,if You are focused. :)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:35:57 PM by Jewell »

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
’I am’ itself is God, the seeking itself is God. In seeking you discover that you are neither the body nor the mind, and the love of the self in you is for the self in all. The two are one. The consciousness in you and the consciousness in me, apparently two, really one, seek unity and that is love. What do you love now? The ‘I am’. Give your heart and mind to it, think of nothing else. This when effortless and natural, is the highest state. In it love itself is the lover and the beloved.

Nisargadatta Maharaj from 'I am That'