Author Topic: Is Ramana's teaching universal or is it rather related to Siva exclusively?  (Read 2117 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste All,

I would like to get some insight reagarding the universality of Ramana Maharshi's teaching.
Is Ramana's teaching universal or is it related to Siva exclusively and it's for mainly shaivas?
Or can one have Vishnu (Krshna) as her ishta devata and yet follow Ramana's teaching?
Are all the followers of Ramana shaiva or can one follow Ramana regardless of one's ishta devata?

Thank you for your kind replies.

Vinod

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

With little knowledge I've have gained, our master gives importance to self realization and even though he settled in Arunachala it doesnt mean that his likings are only restricted to Lord shiva or his devotees. I am sure in many of his preachings he would have also mentioned many other gods and not restricting only to Lord shiva itself. I remember reading somewhere in this forum "one can go around the holy hill thinking of any god, let it be Jesus, Ram, Allah etc and still be benefited" So there is no question of restricting only to one god and more over Self realization as taught by our master is nothing to do with god, its just knowing yourself.

Since Arunachala is nothing but Lord Shiva, we find his stories more, compared to others.

These are my findings and I am sure you will get better answers from rest of our members

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:56:32 PM by Vinod »

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Lord Ramana's teachings come from the Self Which is He Himself!
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Thank you all for the replies so far!
Hoping to get some deeper insights regarding the heart of the question.
Namaste.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

Once some devotee asked Sri Bhagavan, when He was looking at the Hill through the window: Bhagavan! Are you looking at
Arunachala?  Sri Bhagavan replied: I am looking at Atma.

This answers the questions. Sri Ramana has said that Arunachala is Atma. He said that Arunachala is the purport of the
maha vakya Tat tvam asi. Though the Hill is the incarnation of Siva, Sri Bhagavan always looked at it as Self. The Self is
all, The Self of all.

When Westerners who came to Him asked whether they should convert to Hinduism, Sri Bhagavan said: Why? Is not
Atma common to all? Why should change to Hinduism to realize Atma? You can be a good Christian and attain Self realization!

He never approved conversion. He never approved wearing an ochre robe and becoming a sannyasi. Because Atma
can be attained by anyone without these external changes. What is needed is faith and sincere self inquiry.

Once one Rama Sastri came and asked Him whether he can change his Rama mantra chanting to Ramana mantra chanting.
He said: Why? Is Ramana different from Rama? Do continue Rama mantra.

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Dear Kicsi108,
I will tell you my opinion. Sri Bhagavan is Jnani. Jnani is the Self. He sees, feels, tastes and so on, everything as the Self. So to say He was prone to Shaivism is very wrong. Yes, He has gratitude to Sri Arunachala as His Guru. But nothing more, nothing less. He has adviced reading Bhagavad Gita every day. His most 'respectful' mahavakyas come from Christianity - "I am that I am", "Be still and know that I am God" which He has repeated very often. He has respected very higly Ribhu Gita and Ashvatakra Gita. So we cannot put Him in any boundaries. Again - because He is the Self but the Self is unlimited.

Best wishes, Hari
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Vinod

• View Profile
Hoping to get some deeper insights regarding the heart of the question.

Dear,

I would suggest, after getting some basics start practicing self enquiry with out delay and I am sure most of the questions will be answered and please don't waste much time searching for the answers in the unreal world(out side).

This is my personal experience!

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Dear Kicsi108, I think You got the answer trough all devotees and their replay. I will tell You the same,just in my own words. Ramana teachings are universal. What can be more universal then God,and Ramana is talking about Him only. He is saying to us to investigate and see Who we are,or to be devoteed and surender everything to God. And we can call God how ever we want,how ever we see Him,that doasnt metter. Everyone here is drawn to some aspect of God wich is dear to his heart. But that same aspect can only be God,noting less,just have different name so that everyone can choose what suits him most. We are praying to That Supreme Reality no metter wich aspect we choose. How many God are there if not only One,the Supreme,Who wear many faces just to come closer to every man.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste,

Thank you so much for the helpful answers! :)

Arunachalam