Author Topic: Bhagawan and Thiruvachagam  (Read 5813 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Bhagawan and Thiruvachagam
« on: August 20, 2012, 11:52:33 AM »
Dear Friends

I read in one book of David Godman ( Power of Presence ,I suppose ) , that Bhagwan asked all of his devotees at Skandaashram to recite the entire Thiruvachagam on the nite his mother attained nirvana and in fact he was also correcting people when they were pronouncing it wrongly .
Bhagawan's fondness of Thiruvachagam and Thevarams is well known .
Though Bhagwan is a person free of any personal likes and dislikes ,I am interested in knowing if any of you have any information regarding which poems of Thiruvachagam , Bhagawan asked people to recite most .
For me I have got the complete set of Audio of Thiruvachagam sung by Dharmapuram Swaminathan and only know Sivapuranam by heart and interested in learning other poems also .But would be happy if Bhagawan selected any particular poems in Thiruvachagam for Parayana .
By  the way for those in Chennai on Sun 2 September 2012 there is a complete parayana of entire Thiruvachagam from 9 a.m - 5 p.m under Swami Omkarananda (and other great Tamil Scholars ) who is observing Chaturmasya Vrata at Anantha Padmanabhaswamy Temple ,Gandhi Nagar , Adyar ,Chennai - 600020
and the Venue is Kanchi Mahaswamy Mantapam ,adjacent to the Temple

This is just for people interested in participating in the same . In fact my interest in Thiruvachagam got re-kindled after seeing that notice and wanted to share with others here .
Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagawan and Thiruvachagam
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Sri Bhagavan was interested in all the poems of Tiruvachakam and Tayumanavar's songs.  In case you want to know what
poems He preferred, I can only say that He used to quote, Sivapuranam, Tiruvembavai, TirupaLLi Ezhucchi, Tiruammanai, Kovil Mootha
Tirupadigam and Kovil Trupadigam.   

Some one has written an article on all the quotes of Sri Bhagavan relating to Tiruvachakam in one of the issues of Mountain
Path. If I could lay my hands on that article, I shall give a reference of it in this Forum.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:08:14 PM »
Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for ur quick reply with the inputs of Bhagawan on Thiruvachagam .All poems of Thiruvachagam are precious but I would like to start learning first what Bhagwan pointed out before learning the rest .
Would be happy if u can point out the details of the original article in Mountain path .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Under the title Bhagavan and Manikkavachagar, Robert Butler, T,V, Venkatasubramanian and David Godman have
written four articles in a serial - starting from Mountain Path,  Oct.-Dec. 2005, Jan-Mar. 2006, April-June 2006, and
July-October 2006.

In these articles, the authors mentions several anecdotes relating to Sri Bhagavan and Tiruvachakam. On a Manikkavachagar's
Guru Puja Day, (the day of saint's merger with Nataraja of Chidambaram), i.e. on 22nd June 1939, Sri Bhagavan announced that
it was Maniikkavachagar's Guru Puja. Having made the announcement, Sri Bhagavan sat in deep silence for so long that the
sanctity of the occasions sank in the souls of devotees who were present.

Then the authors quoted some verses from Tiruvachakam, as indicated by Sri Bhagavan or about which talks were there
in the Old Hall.  These are inter-alia the following:

1. Tiruvandappahudi - lines 148-182.

2. PoRRi tiru Ahaval - lines 58 - 85.

3. Tiru Chadakam - 9.10.

4. Tiru Ammanai and Tiruvembavai - full - Sri Bhagavan sang these verses Himself once when He was on giri pradakshina
with some devotees. (Letters, Suri Nagamma, p2.)

5. Tiruvembavai - Verse 18.

6. Tiru Chadkam - 3.1 (this was mentioned in a conversation with devotees).

7. Tiru Kottumbi - 3 (again as above).

8. Tirup paLLi Ezhuchi - 5  (do)

9. Kovil Tirupadigam - Verse 7 (do)

10. Kuzhita Pathu - Verse 8 (do)

11. Siva Puranam - (do)

This post will continue....

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Siva Puranam is the most frequently recited song of Tiruvachakam and this was a particular favorite of Sr Bhagavan. He once
told Devaraja Mudaliar, 'if ten persons should join together and sing it harmoniously, how grand it would be?'

(All the lines of Siva Puranam have been translated by the same three authors and can be found in www.davidgodman.org.)

To continue the references made by devotees and Sri Bhagavan about verses in Tiruvachakam:

12. Piditha Pathu - VV. 3 and 9.

13. Kovil tirupadigam - Verse 10.

14. Tiru Andap pahudi - lines 1-6

Robert Butler has made a translation of all the 20 verses of TiruEmpaavai and this appears in the issue of
Mountain Path, Advent 2006.

About Tayumanvar and Sri Bhagavan, I shall write a little later.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:09 PM »
Dear Subramaniam Sir

Many thanks for taking effort  to write these posts . I will check out the Mountain Path Old Versions for the same if I have .
I now remember Bhagavan's advice to Devaraja Mudaliar on just doing parayana of Siva Puranam . Thanks for quoting the same here . In fact in Thiruvachagam I only know Sivapuranam by heart .I will next try to get by heart Thirupalli ezuchi and Thiruvenpavai as I guess they were sung by Manickavachagar during his visit to Thiruvanamalai .
Do keep sharing whatever you have about Bhagawan's comments on Thiruvachagam .
Once again thanks for taking effort to write these detailed posts .
Om Peace .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Sri Bhagavan and Tayumanavar:

Sri Bhagavan had equal liking for Saint Tayumanavar's songs also.  The issues of Mountain Path, Deepam 2004, Jayanti
2005, and Aradhana 2005 cover the various songs of Tayumanavar which Sri Bhagavan quoted in His conversation with
devotees. These articles are also written by Robert Butler, Dr. T.V. Venkatasubramanian and David Godman.

1. Akara Bhuvanam -  Chidambara Rahasyam.

2. Paraparak kaNNi - Verse 156.

3. Udal PoyyuRavu - Verses 5 and 52.

4. PAyap puli - Verse 36.

5. Udal poyyuRavu - Verse 52 (in Talks No. 646).

6. Akara Bhuvanam - Chidambara Rahasyam - Verses 15 to 17.

7. Akara Bhuvanam - Chidambara Rahasyam - Verses 18-23.

8. Mouna Guru VaNakkam - verse 7.

9. Chinmayananda Guru - Verse 8.

10. Asai enum - Verse 2.

11. Paripurana Anandam - Verse 5.

12. ParAparak kaNNi - Verse 386.

13. NinaivonRu - Verse 7.

14. MaNdalathin - Verses 8 to 11.

15. SukhavAri - Verse 12.

16. TejomayAnandam - Verse 8.

17. ChinmayAnanda Guru - Verse 11.

18. KallAlin - Verse 25.

19. ParipuraNa Anandam - Verse 5.

20. KaruNAkarak KadavuL - Verse 7,

21. ParAparak kaNNi - Verse 225,

22. AnandamAna Param - Verse 7.

23. ParAparak kaNNi - Verse 276.

24. PAyap puli - Verse 14,

25. Udal poyyuRavu - Verse 53.

26. PAyap puli - Verse 36.

(Wherever the verse detail appears twice or more, it must be construed that Sri Bhagavan mentioned them on so many
occasions.)

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

You can try to get the copies of Mountain Path either from the Asramam or download these specific articles from the
Asramam's official website www.sriramanamharshi.org, where old issues of Mountain Path have been given with downloading
facility.

Saint Manikkavachagar composed only Tiruvembavai and Tiru Ammanai in Tiruvannamalai. The decad Tirup paLLi Ezhucchi
was composed in Tiruperundurai, which is nowadays called Avudaiyar Kovil.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:37:00 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

You can try to get the copies of Mountain Path either from the Asramam or download these specific articles from the
Asramam's official website www.sriramanamharshi.org, where old issues of Mountain Path have been given with downloading
facility.

Saint Manikkavachagar composed only Tiruvembavai and Tiru Ammanai in Tiruvannamalai. The decad Tirup paLLi Ezhucchi
was composed in Tiruperundurai, which is nowadays called Avudaiyar Kovil

Arunachala Siva.
Subramaniam Sir
Thanks again for the clarification . Ayudaiyar Koil is a place I am yet to visit . Have you visited it ? I guess it is close to Pudukottai and the main God there is in a formless state ?
I am a subscriber to Mountain Path and will check whether those Old issues are with me , otherwise will download from the Ashram Website .
Thanks also for the Thayumanavar poems selected by Bhagawan .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

I have not visited Avudaiyar Kovil. But the name stems from the fact that there is only Avudai (the base) with no Lingam,
and this is prayed to as Siva.

Arunachala Siva.