Author Topic: What I learned in my spiritual quest so far  (Read 1618 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
What I learned in my spiritual quest so far
« on: August 19, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »
The last 15 years or so has been quite a fairly serious spiritual journey for me in the line of Yoga ( which continues to be my main Sadhana ) but at the same time I have been exposed to the teachings of other teachers , Gurus , Schools of thought like Classical Advaita , Bhagawan Ramana's teachings , Teachings of Osho , J.Krishnamurti , etc .
I still read traditional Vedic teachings of Kanchi Paramacharya , Sringeri Acharyas etc etc .
Kindly refer to my Introduction where I have given a bigger detail about myself .
In this column ,I want to share my spiritual experiences or insights in the form of certain statements as lessons learnt by me .
Note : These lessons are my own lessons and they may not be applicable to others and need not be taken as gospel truths . These lessons can be taken either as general life lessons or spiritual lessons and some of it , I experienced myself , some I learned it from others experience and some I learned it by studying  .If you find it useful take it , if not leave it .

Lesson 1 :

Life is too vast to accommodate all sort of contradictions .In Other words life is neither fully black or white and there is lot of shades of grey between them .So learn to live with these contradictions and adapt , adjust ,  accommodate to these contradictions without sacrificing your integrity .
In spiritual quest I  found this to be highly applicable as people come with lot of preconceived notions about how Ashrams should be , how Gurus and teachers must behave , how followers of Gurus must be etc etc and get disappointed .
Also some people go to extreme in following a particular Guru or Particular School of thought and ridicule others and belong to the category of my way or high way .
Example : Ganges is a very long river and it is very pure at Gangotri and very dirty and polluted in Varanasi and so one person in Varnasi will say it is dirty while another in Gangotri will say it is very pure and the river being the same .
So who is right ? Both are right from their respective positions but wrong from the other positions .
The same with regard to everything in life .
Conclusion : Next time when you feel you are getting in to an argument with another person , step back a little and look at the Ganges example to see both of you can be right as well as wrong .
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 05:50:13 AM by Graham »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
Re: What I learned in my spiritual quest so far
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:13 AM »
lesson 1
the integrity of the story
lesson 2
stop telling the story and no integrity need be maintained
lesson 3
truth includes everything ... even the stories told to avoid it

" HA HA ! " ...... Nelson
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
Beloved Abstract,
Lesson 4
Stop being the 'Beloved' and Just Be the 'Abstract'.
Do you realize that your assumed name is telling a story?
Do you realize that Life itself is a Story that the Divine is ever telling?
If we can Eat and sleep and be the 'Beloved Abstract' why stop telling stories? :)

Namaskar(Not a Story!)

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 10:35:09 AM »
Sir

You have mentioend about reading Osho's books.

I see no defects on that.

But at teh same time you are very close to Swami Sivananda of Rishikesh,  as you are following his system of yoga teachings to your best.  I see no defects on that also.

But please ponder over this,  same Osho has spoken low of Swami Sivanandha.

Ramakrishna Paramahamsa asks to slap on his face who unnecessarily criticizes one's own Guru.

You need not slap ,  but atleast could have ignored Osho's writings.   

I am not suggesting or diverting ,  only reason I mention this is,  Swami Sivanandhaji such a wonderful person is your main Guru. And would you love to hear to somebody's teachings when that person speaks low of your Guru?  However nice words are coined,  one should not speak low of other Gurus.

One has every rights to follow a teacher or a system but no one however great he may be in his mystic state has got rights to speak low of other teachers.

Seems Osho did that (from many web resources I am inferring this , please correct me if I am wrong.)

Sorry I am hurting you ,  but interesting enough that you mentioned both personalities and immediatley my mind started asking these questions .

Plesae ingore if it is hurting.   Just want to know your thoughts on this.   

Other devotees of Osho,

Please forgive me to bring this up, but please correct me if my references are wrong .  I would be happiest if Osho did not criticize anybody.  I apologize to one and all to write this post.  Please dont mistake me.  Sorry to one and all.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 11:34:11 AM »
Krishna,
"Ramakrishna Paramahamsa asks to slap on his face who unnecessarily criticizes one's own Guru."
Where did you learn this?Did you check the authenticity?
I will post in the usual Rough-Notebook thread in case you wish to know the Fact.

Our friend here has already answered your question in his Lesson 1!Please read it.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Dear Kskat27

I am aware of Osho's  comments about Swami Sivananda . I gave the example of Ganges river and how 2 people situated at various parts of Ganges will have 2 different opinions about the same river .So is the case with any great men - no 2 people will have the same opinion about a great man .
I am not concerned about what Osho said about Swami Sivananda or any other great Saint .He has a right to his opinion but I focus on not much on the teacher but how far those teachings are applicable and valuable for me .
I found the teachings of Swami Sivananda quite simple and easy to start my spiritual journey and I derived lot of benefits following the same . At the same time I also derived lot of clarity through the talks of Osho and it does not mean I need to follow blindly everything he says .
I have lots of doubts and if any teacher helps me clarify the same ,I welcome that teaching .It can be Swami Sivananda , Osho , JK, Bhagwan Ramana , Kanchi Paramacharya ,sringeri Shankaracharya's , Buddha , Ramakrishna etc etc .I focus on the teachings and  see how far it helps me get clarity .If it does I welcome it and if it does not ,I reject it and move ahead .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Many persons teach a lot. But only a few live as they teach. The one who cannot apply his own teaching, in his own life,
cannot attempt to teach others.

Osho and JK belonged to the second category.  Osho had 364 Rolls Roycces and taught about frugal living.
JK taught many many things, but had illicit relationship with his own disciple's wife.

Arunachala Siva.   

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:05:22 PM »
But only a few live as they teach. The one who cannot apply his own teaching, in his own life, cannot attempt to teach others.

Dear Subramaniam sir

I understand what you are trying to convey . As I said , my primary interest is in my own Sadhana and how far I am true to it . All the teachings of any great Masters are just pointers for reference, clarity  for me and beyond that I do not dwell on them or the masters much . There was a time when I got too much interest  in to  to the personal lives of Religious people and later after reading Bhagwan's teachings ( from the book "Living by the Words of Bhagawan ")  I stopped doing that . And what did Bhagwan say to people who started judging him and the way his ashram was being run "Mind your business and attend to what you came here for " .I thing the same applies to almost everything in life .
I am interested in my own spiritual clarity and not in the private lives of other people much . This is what my Lesson -1 I learnt in life ie the Contradictions and one must learn to live with it .

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:29:05 PM »
Example : Ganges is a very long river and it is very pure at Gangotri and very dirty and polluted in Varanasi and so one person in Varnasi will say it is dirty while another in Gangotri will say it is very pure and the river being the same .
So who is right ? Both are right from their respective positions but wrong from the other positions .
The same with regard to everything in life .
Conclusion : Next time when you feel you are getting in to an argument with another person , step back a little and look at the Ganges example to see both of you can be right as well as wrong .

Dear Atma Vichar,

Thats very correct and I can see your valuable experience in your comments and they are very practical. I always used to think about the same when there is an argument in my family and I dont see much wrong in both sides as its just the way of thinking differs from person to person.
Apart from this community, sometimes I even post comments in Yahoo and what ever nice comments I post there which is good for every one, I always find dislikes number and I used to think why? later I realized the truth. So what ever you have mentioned is a reality and doesnt matter whether some one agrees with you or not.

I dont know much about Osho and JK but what I know about Osho is, he abused many great souls and had weird lifestyle. I totally agree with you regarding knowledge sharing. If some one is giving knowledge, it is our wish to judge it and then accept it or not, but ignore the source(younger, older, criminal, animal etc). If we are born in this time(kaliyuga) that means everybody has done or will do some mistake, so if we go judging people we cannot get knowledge from anyone, since every body are sinners in some way or the other. 

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 12:52:53 PM by vinod526 »

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 02:08:55 PM »
Krishna,
"Ramakrishna Paramahamsa asks to slap on his face who unnecessarily criticizes one's own Guru."
Where did you learn this?Did you check the authenticity?
I will post in the usual Rough-Notebook thread in case you wish to know the Fact.

Our friend here has already answered your question in his Lesson 1!Please read it.

Namaskar.

Dear Shri Ravi

My reference comes from Annamalai Swami in Living by the words of Bhagavan.

What happens is,  Perumal Swami starts abusing Bhagavan in the night by engaging another person.

In this situation,  Annamalai Swami re-calls Thakru's saying (to that effect like slap or something).

So Annamalai Swami goes straight to Perumal Swami's appointed person --  Annamalai Swami with great anger says to him like this "stop abusing my Guru.  Otherwise,  I will slap in one side of your face in such a way the other side will get swollen"

My point is not to slap anybody.

I quoted this only to show how Guru Bhakthi and one's Teacher is very important and respectable.

One cannot tolerate any abuse to other teachers.

In this case,  the sadhaka is following Swami Sivananda's teachings.  And here is Osho who has spoken badly about many Gurus including Swami Sivananda his holiness.

Hence all I wanted to know is how the yoga marga teacher and sadhak is able to re-concile the two.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »
In this case,  the sadhaka is following Swami Sivananda's teachings.  And here is Osho who has spoken badly about many Gurus including Swami Sivananda his holiness.

Hence all I wanted to know is how the yoga marga teacher and sadhak is able to re-concile the two

Dear kskat27

Kindly re-read my Lesson-1 : It talks about the apparent contradictions in life and we must learn to live with it without loosing our focus on our primary sadhana and without sacrificing our integrity .
Bhagawan's Maha Mantra - "Mind your business and attend to what you came here for " - to people  who keep questioning him and the ways by which the ashram was being run is the guiding principle for me in this .
Of course as I said , this is my way of approach and it may not be true for others and I have no complaints against the same .

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »

Hence all I wanted to know is how the yoga marga teacher and sadhak is able to re-concile the two

Dear kskat27

Kindly re-read my Lesson-1 : It talks about the apparent contradictions in life and we must learn to live with it without loosing our focus on our primary sadhana and without sacrificing our integrity .
Bhagawan's Maha Mantra - "Mind your business and attend to what you came here for " - to people  who keep questioning him and the ways by which the ashram was being run is the guiding principle for me in this .
Of course as I said , this is my way of approach and it may not be true for others and I have no complaints against the same .

Dear Atmavichar,

Thanks for clarifying your viewpoints.   It is true that everybody has their own way of sadhana and all these varieties are very integral part in this universe.

Welcome and continue posting your valuable insights on different topics over here.  Especiallykindly requesting  you to write few stuff about body, prana,   ojas,  rejas,  muladhara , sleep,  diet,  dreams,  brain,  spinal cord,  sensual desires ,   body metabolism etc.  Would be helpful to keep the body clean and pure .

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 06:50:55 AM »
lesson 5
the spiritual path is a fun way to avoid truth
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it