Author Topic: Arunachala - Sins - Salvation  (Read 5298 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Arunachala - Sins - Salvation
« on: August 09, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
Dear Ones,

The question below may be stupid but want to know your thoughts or opinion.

I understand by worshiping Arunachala or by doing pradakshina we will reduce future births and there by help in attaining moksha. I also understand that it doesn't have the reputation of cleansing our sins like the river Ganga. So even if we do pradakshina, we have to suffer for the sins we have committed in the previous or present birth and there is no way in escaping from that. So if that is true! the one who does pradakshina faces too many problems than others, since he is rid of many future births?

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Re: Arunachala - Sins - Salvation
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:19:45 PM »
Dear Vinod,
As per the Arunachala Purana the darshan of Arunachala not only destroys our past sins but also our future sins.
Hence  these things, like whether Arunachala bestows liberation or other things are quite complicated and we can only go by the words of Bhagavan who restricted to saying that Girivallam is enormously good and remembrance of Arunachala is undoubtedly beneficial as a sadhana.
We have to do self enquiry or constantly be in remembrance of Arunachala.Rest we should try to  leave it to the supreme self or Arunachala both of which are the same  .
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
Vinod,
This is what Sri Bhagavan says(from Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi):

Talk 212

Maharshi observed: Pradakshina (the Hindu rite of going round the
object of worship) is “All is within me.”
The true significance of the
act of going round Arunachala is said to be as effective as circuit round
the world. That means that the whole world is condensed into this Hill.
The circuit round the temple of Arunachala is equally good; and selfcircuit
(i.e., turning round and round) is as good as the last. So all are
contained in the Self. Says the Ribhu Gita: “I remain fixed, whereas
innumerable universes becoming concepts within my mind, rotate
within me. This meditation is the highest circuit (pradakshina).”

Namaskar.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:07 PM »
Dear Anand & Ravi,

Thank you for sharing the knowledge and I got the answer.

Shubh rathri!

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:37:04 PM by vinod526 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:50:37 PM »
Dear vinod & others,

Smaranad Arunachale - says the verse. Remembering Arunachala confers mukti.  No what does Arunachala mean here?
Apart from the Hill being a gross form of the Self, one should constantly remember Arunachala, abharasadasi, says the verse.
That is remembering constantly Arunachala as the Seat of Consciousness one attains mukti.

So also with the other three places: Jananat Kamalalaye - Being born in Tiruvarur. Kamalalayam not merely means Tiruvarur
but the Kamalam the Heart. One should always be born in the Heart. Kasyanati Maranam muktih - To die in Kasi confers mukti
What does it mean? One's mind should die in Kasi, again Consciousness.  Then one gets self realized.

For detailed explanation see Talks. 473.

Coming to sins and sufferings/happiness, unless one gets self realized the three karmas and consequential sins, will not
fizzle out. Till such time, one gets Self realized, one has to undergo the current portion of karmas, i.e. prarabdha.
Agami and Sanchita will be removed once you are self realized. The stock of sins, agami and sanchita will become non
existent once your ego becomes non existent. But the current carry bag of karmas has to be suffered TILL SUCH TIME
ONE GETS SELF REALIZED.

As regards, giri pradakshina and darshan of Arunahchala, these will help you to succeed in self inquiry or self surrender
and enable you attain self realization.  You can experience the results only when you are self realized. Till such time one
should do darshan and giri valam, without any doership.

Arunachala Siva.             

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:03:55 PM »
AWSOME! AWSOME! AWSOME!

That was greatly explained and now i understood the meaning but not just the answer.

If it is just good by going around the hill, one can willingly commit a sin and go around the hill to cleanse it. It is the matter of self realization which plays the trick here and if one is not self realized, even if he does pradakshina daily and commit sins daily he will never attain mukti.

That is the reason why we are always advised to be cautious and follow all the DO's while doing pradakshina which eventually grants us with self realization. Every year during special occasions we find lakhs of people coming for Girivalam and we see some of them running, chatting with wifes/girl friends, even listening to movie songs etc. They do all these things, just to complete girivalam, so that by the end of the day they can be in safe hands. But as mentioned above until n unless one is not self realized, their sins will not be cleansed no matter how many pradakshina they do or how many times they do dubki in Ganga water 

Dear Subramanian, please correct me if I have mentioned anything wrong .

« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:42:33 PM by vinod526 »

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
Dear Ones,

Adding to the above, Arunachala is the fire of knowledge. One can attain knowledge(self realization) only if he put complete concentration on this hill.

Example One can excel in a subject only when he puts concentration towards it and cannot prosper if he does otherwise. Likewise just going around the hill, since it benefits us doesnt help much, instead doing it with love and affection, forgetting everything will yield us everything :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:28 PM »
Dear vinod,

You are correct. But doing giri valam, constantly remembering Arunachala, will help you to put with the sufferings in life,
with forbearance. Sri Bhagavan says 'do girivalam slowly as if it is done by a pregnant woman.' That is one should walk
slowly thinking of Sri Bhagavan and the Hill throughout. Smoking cigarettes and talking with others including girl friends
will give no benefit. Essential things can be talked over. For example, if you need some rest in between or water to drink,
you can ask you friend or wife. Otherwise to do the girivalam silently in slow steps, would help a lot.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

That's affirmative and one can do things which are important and unavoidable.

Have a great weekend!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:50:24 PM »
I would just like to add my bit here .
It is not just Girivalam , any spiritual thing be it Parayana , Japa , Puja ,Reading a spiritual book , listening to a spiritual talk , visiting a temple ,holy place etc must be done with great interest and focused attention . There is word in Yogic / Buddhist terminology called "Mindfullness" , doing any act with "Mindfullness" will increase the sacredness of the act and you will feel really energized by it .

In the context of Girivalam it is quite difficult to have complete focus for the entire trip as :
1) It takes 3 hrs - 4 hrs to complete it and human attention span is quite short and there is lack of focus in anything for more than 20 mts
2) There is lot of external diversion like crowd , traffic , other people taklking , shops etc .

To take care of Point -1 practice mindful chanting of any of Bhagwan's stotras like Akshara Mana Malai or other Shiva Stotras from Thevaram , Thiruvachagam or Shiva Stutis in Sanskrit . Once you have learnt by heart few of these sacred hymns , keep mentally chanting these while doing Giri Valam .The mind will not go out to chatter if it is kept occupied .If you do not know any hyms keep chanting Om Namah Shivaya or Om Sri Arunachalasweraya Namah very mindfully or just chant the Maha Mantra :Arunachala Siva Arunachala Siva Arunachala Siva Arunachala .
Carry a water bottle with you so that u do not have to break your journey for tea /coffee /water on the way .If you break your journey for some slight refreshments there is a tendency for loose talks .

To take care of Point-2 , better to start Girivalam early morning at 4 a.m or even earlier so to avoid traffic , crowd ,external disturbance .

Note : the above rule is applicable to healthy , young and middle aged individuals . If you are going with Older people or people who have some health problems , you need to relax the rules a bit and be bit patient but try avoid taking un-necessarily .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
Dear atmavichar100,

Yes. Mindfulness is an important point. Always keep your attention on Arunachala or Siva and do the giri valam.

Again, as you said, one can start in the very early morning with an empty stomach but after bath.

My wife once went starting at 8.30 pm and came back at 1.00 am. I could not make it. I simply lied down in the guest
house room and prayed.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
In the context of Girivalam it is quite difficult to have complete focus for the entire trip as :
1) It takes 3 hrs - 4 hrs to complete it and human attention span is quite short and there is lack of focus in anything for more than 20 mts
2) There is lot of external diversion like crowd , traffic , other people taklking , shops etc .

Dear Atma Vichar,

If we think differently out of 6-7 hrs of girivalam(time takes for me) even though there are distractions, lets calculate 1-2hrs MAX totally dedicated for it (since our human mind is fickle and we have to acknowledge it) we have 4-5hrs of concentration on one of the most powerful hill, which would help our soul and body a lot. This is just what I feel and completely agree with your comments and no doubts about it.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:32:50 PM by vinod526 »

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »
Namaskaram all,

In these days of Twitter, I think the human concentration span is like 20 seconds.   :D  That is why we need to do sadhana e.v.e.r.y d.a.y. at home. Stopping by the temple on your way back from work, is not it. 

One Tiru elder told me that a regular human being, with no real problems,  needs atleast 3 hours of concentrated sadhana per day to survive the world.  I think Kunju swami, who was Bhagavan's closest attendant, also told Ganeshan Anna that he spent atleast a quarter of his day doing spiritual practices - and this person lived near Bhagavan all the time.

As for keeping your mind on Arunachala as you do Girivalam, my take on this is start walking, however you walk, and after several girivalams you will find that it is so much easier to walk by keeping your mind on Arunachala. On my first girivalam, all I could think of was how hot it is in India and how much my body hurt.  But Arunachala being the loving father that he is has helped me out on girivalams after that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:15:28 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 03:17:49 PM »
Dear All,

Concentration throughout the walking time of giri valam is no doubt difficult.  But with practice it comes about.  One can sit
for sometime in each Linga temple and recoup yourself so that concentration would be better.  I still have problems on this
matter.

Arunachala Siva.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
Yes, stopping at the eight cardinal points where the ashta lingams are is a great way to recoup your strength and help you concentrate.  I read somewhere that an evolved soul actually saw these eight dieties worship Arunachala at these spots and decided to construct temples for them.  This was centuries ago and then in recent times, Moopanar (spelling???) or Murugunar got them renovated and fit for worship again.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:52:41 PM by Child of Arunachala »