Author Topic: Lingams and its decoration  (Read 6818 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Lingams and its decoration
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:51:56 PM »
Dear Ones,

In my first visit to Arunachalam, I visited most of the lingas and remember there were no snakes on them, due to which I had a clear natural view of Lingam, just with flowers around. It is the view which we always like to have in our mind, when we think of lingam. Later I could see snake around lingam, just like on the top of vishnu with several heads, which is obstructing to get the clear shape/ natural view of Lingam.

Is there any reason for its placement on the Lingas in the recent past?

I also understand that the almighty has snake around his neck but not around lingam? Is this a change which we see with change in time?

Please dont mistake me about this question, as I am not sure about it and want to know about.

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Lingams and its decoration
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 02:28:49 PM »
Dear vinod,

Yes. Normally, Siva in his non-lingam form is said to be wearing, snakes around His neck, around His wrists, around His ankles.
Not only that He wears a garland of skeletons!  He wears very cheap flowers like konRai, oomatham fllower etc, and  not fragrant
jasmine or roses. He wears the skin of killed elephant as His upper cloth and the skin of killed tiger as His waist cloth.

Now these are having esoteric meanings and  puranic stories behind them. He is always a humble sannyasi.  Unlike Vishnu,
He does not wear costly oranments.  He is interested only in taking bath many times a day, abhisheka priyan.  Vishnu is
alankara priyan (adornements). So he chooses to wear konRai, oomatham flower which are available in forests mostly.
He also wears bhilwa which is available from a tree mostly in forests.  The wearing of serpents means his conquest of sins
lust, and other inadequacies. Serpent is always linked to lust and sin, even in Adam and Eve story. Siva has conquered them.
The garland of skeletons including kabala (the shell of head) has a puranic back ground. Brahma dies once in a yuga. (eon)
vishnu dies in 100 yugas. But Siva is eternal. Brahmas and Vishnus come and go, though their lifespan is very long. Saint
Manikkavachagar says this in Tiruvachakam. The tiger skin and elephant skin represent what the Rishis of Daruka forests
sent to Him to kill Him. He skinned the roaring tiger and mad elephant and wore their skins.

Now, coming to Siva Lingam. It represents both form and formlessness. Form in the sense, it is cylindrical. Formless in the
sense that it has not specific human or any other form. It is a cylindrical structure. So it is not the usual practice to picturize
these serpents etc., either in the sculpture itself or outside the sculpture.  But in course of time, many things like placing
a serpent hood over the Lingam, or even giving a face (silver face) fixed to the lingam came into practice. In Karnataka
they place silver casket of face on the lingam's front fixed to the Lingam. In fact this sliver casket has got nose, eyes
and even a mustache!

Arunachala Siva.       

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:19:38 AM »
Dear Subramanian,

That was very beautifully explained about the most handsome man, one can ever imagine. As you have correctly mentioned, I don't remember seeing any modifications on Linga in my child hood days or in my first visit to Arunachalam and the best example is old movies. If you watch old movies related to lord Shiva, you could only see the raw and real natural view of lingam with out any additions/modifications.

I always feel, any thing associated with lord Shiva should be the way as it is, but not be incorporated. As time changes, things change and since snakes are fortunate enough to be part of our master(to destroy our lust and sins), we must start to accept them even on lingam :)

One cannot explain about the beauty of Mr Shiva or Arunachala, as it is beyond words but I have to say u have explained it very beautifully in limited words.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
Dear vinod526,

Somerset Maugham  came to have a darshan of Sri Bhagavan. Of course, he only stayed for a couple of days in the Asramam.
On going back to London, he wrote:  He is the most handsome person I have ever seen in this world. With a simple loincloth,
He was more handsome  than a person wearing  costly suits purchased  at the most famous  London garment shop!

David Godman writes about this in one of his comments. He has even given the name of that shop, which I don't remember.

Anything in utter simplicity is the most beautiful thing in the world.  Adam and Eve in their total nakedness should have been
the most beautiful pair in the world!   

Arunachala Akshara Mana Malai says in Verse 8:

Reveal you true Beauty, O Arunachala, so that the fickle mind is prevented from wandering in the streets and is stilled by
your Presence.

The real permanent beauty of Arunachala, the Self is the most beautiful thing (experience) in the world!

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 12:53:01 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Any devotee of lord Shiva would feel that he is the most handsome, which is quite normal but these famous guys being westerners sharing the same view is extraordinary.

Yes - Simplicity is always beautiful and respected as well.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:02 PM »
Does a jnani see "simplicity" as superior to "luxury" ? I am reminded of Suka Muni being sent by his father Vyasa to King Janaka to "learn" the Truth.

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
Dear sanjaya_ganesh,

Once a Western devotee asked Sri Bhagavan: That means (i.e. to attain Self knowledge) should I leave all my possessions?

Sri Bhagavan smilingly replied: The Possessor too!

Yes. Non possession is a virtue and it is simplicity. Being a non possessor (leaving the ego) is Bliss!

Arunachala Siva.   

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:49 PM »
Dear Subramanian sir

True. I was coming to that. Rejecting the "possessor" is not only THE GOAL, is it the ONLY GOAL. Janaka and many others were exactly that. They never rejected "possessions". They rejected the POSSESSOR. YOu can have any number of "possessions" in the worldly view after that, but if the possessor is gone, how does it matter how many "possessions" you have? Else, Krishna would have told Arjuna to leave all go sit in a jungle and I will also come with you :)

Good one
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 01:44:58 PM »
Dear sanjaya_ganesh,

I agree with you.

Sri Bhagavan used to tell the story of one Kaduveli Siddhar. He was a self realized person, living in a cave on the hill near
a kingdom.  The king and others thought that the Siddhar was bogus. So the king sent a dancing girl to seduce him.  The girl
reached the cave, spent some time with the Siddhar. Then she requested him to marry since she wants a child through him.
Siddhar said okay. They got married and she had a baby. The dancing girl left the baby one day in the cave  and quietly slipped
out to the palace. She told everything to the King and others. All laughed.

The baby in  the meantime could not keep calm without mother. However much, Siddhar tried, he could not make the child
remain calm. He then took the baby and rushed to the palace. There the dancing girl was performing a dance. Siddhar
stayed near the green room, and when she came close to the green room (while dancing), Siddhar showed the child.

Now everyone laughed at the Siddhar. The king asked the Siddhar: You are a fraud. You say you are a Brahma Jnani.

Siddhar then said to the king: I shall prove to you. He then went near a huge pillar in the dancing hall and spoke to the
pillar: If I am truly a Brahma Jnani, please open up and take me!

The pillar broke into two halves and absorbed the Siddhar.

Yes. Being a non possessor is more important though non possession is the first step in a normal course.

Arunachala Siva.       

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
Dear Ones,

In my first visit to Arunachalam, I visited most of the lingas and remember there were no snakes on them, due to which I had a clear natural view of Lingam, just with flowers around. It is the view which we always like to have in our mind, when we think of lingam. Later I could see snake around lingam, just like on the top of vishnu with several heads, which is obstructing to get the clear shape/ natural view of Lingam.

Is there any reason for its placement on the Lingas in the recent past?

I also understand that the almighty has snake around his neck but not around lingam? Is this a change which we see with change in time?

Please dont mistake me about this question, as I am not sure about it and want to know about.

Thanks a lot for speaking about Shiva Lingam in a proper and non offensive way.
I get lot of consolation on reading about nice views on Shiva Lingam.

There are gross sinners and fake gurus who has grossly blundered by mis-interpreting shiva lingam.

On hearing them I feel like to get destroyed all my remaining lust .

Shiva is our Supreme Father--  many people threw blasphemy on him from that age to this day.

He is bolonath like a kid he is just wandering without paying attention to them.

Sometimes I feel like crying to him and scold him for not opening his mouth against those wrong doers.

Our Supreme Mother just before ending her prana in Daksha's sacrifice,  has given a detailed mahim of shiva nama.

The Para Devata giving such a declaration of shiva nama mahima just before her prana thyaga is very much the Satya Vak.  Let us all chant shiva shiva hara hara.

The five forms of panchakshara mantras:

shivaya nama
namah shivaya
shivaya shiva
shivaya
shi

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 09:28:14 PM »

I get lot of consolation on reading about nice views on Shiva Lingam.

On hearing them I feel like to get destroyed all my remaining lust .

Shiva is our Supreme Father--  many people threw blasphemy on him from that age to this day.

He is bolonath like a kid he is just wandering without paying attention to them.

Our Supreme Mother just before ending her prana in Daksha's sacrifice,  has given a detailed mahim of shiva nama.

The Para Devata giving such a declaration of shiva nama mahima just before her prana thyaga is very much the Satya Vak.  Let us all chant shiva shiva hara hara.

The five forms of panchakshara mantras:

shivaya nama
namah shivaya
shivaya shiva
shivaya
shi

Dear KSK,

Even I feel the same about him and other forms of his. I can stare at his pic or lingam for long time and still be insatiable. No other thing on this earth attracts me so much! I love to speak or listen about him forgetting the time.

I love to watch his movies esp om namah shivayah on DD 1 when I was kid. It was my fav show then. Dear KSK and others you may share any story of his leela, which we all love to know (I have limited acess to net, so cant spend much time to share the story I know)

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:33:14 PM by Vinod »

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »

Dear KSK,

Who is this u r referring to, can u kindly elaborate.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:36:04 PM »
Dear Vinod,

What Krishnan is referring  is this:

During Daksha's sacrifice, when he invited all the gods, did not invite Siva. This is because when Daksha had 27 daughters
(representing 27 stars as per Indian system), and got them all married to Chandra (Moon). But Chandra showed affection
only to Rohini one of the 27 stars and kept away from other wives. Daksha gave a curse to Moon so that the latter would
slowly reduce in size and then die (symbolically it is waning moon). Chandra went and asked for blessings from Siva to
save him. Siva took the crescent moon and wore on His head.  The curse was cancelled thus.

Daksha did not invite Siva because of this background. Dakshayani another daughter of Daksha (it is Parvati) and wife
of Siva, wanted to attend the sacrifice rituals. Siva told her not to go lest she would be insulted there. However
Dakshayani went for the rituals and she was disrespected, insulted and also Daksha insulted he husband Siva too.

Dakhayani on this development, left her body on the fire in the sacrifice itself!  BEFORE THAT SHE GAVE SIVA MAHIMA
AND HIS VARIOUS NAMES.

Siva on hearing this news, pulled out a strand of his hair and sent it as Veerabhadra, terrific bhuta ghana. He went
and killed many who had attended the function, injured many, and kicked and drove the rest.

Dakshayani who left her body as Uma did tapas in Kanchipuram. She then was asked to come to Annamalai to do tapas.
There she got half the body of Siva so that she would not do such mistakes by going alone to any place.

Arunachala Siva.                 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:47 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

You have given five names of Siva. These have got pari bhasha or inner codes of meanings:

1. Namasivaya - Sthoola (Gross) Panchaksharam.

2. Sivaya Nama - Sukshma (Subtle) Panchaksharam.

3. SivayaSiva - here 'ya' denotes Uma. Hence it is called Treasured Ruby - vaippu  mAnikkam!
                        i.e 'ya' Uma is treasured between two Siva namas.

4. Siva Siva   - It is called double headed Ruby , iruthalai mAnikkam. Siva Siva is double headed!

5. Si       - it is called NAyotti Mantram. 'Nay' means dog. We drive out dog saying Si or Chi.  Hence Nayotti Mantram.

Arunachala Siva.   

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 07:08:16 PM »
Subramanian Ji,

I only knew that our mother has got half from her better half, by doing a penance but did not know the story behind it. Thank you for letting me know about this.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:11:19 PM by Vinod »