Author Topic: Skandashramam morning prayer  (Read 3804 times)

latha

• View Profile
Skandashramam morning prayer
« on: August 06, 2012, 08:32:28 AM »
Dear Friends,

I was so happy to come across this video on youtube and wanted to share it with all of you. This is the Swamiji who walked with me up to Skandashramam and was so helpful. It was magical to sit in the Ashram with very few people and listen to his heartfelt prayer. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaCwyPVhgDA

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Skandashramam morning prayer
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
Dear latha,

Yes. Skandasramam is kept open for a few hours in the morning and then in the evening. There are prayers by devotees
who go over there. But I do not know about the Swamiji.  The Asramam has kept a night watchman for the Asramam.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:07:37 PM »
Dear Latha/Subramanian,

I have been to skandashramam few times, mostly during noon and was not fortunate enough to listen to the prayer. Kindly let us know when does this prayer start/timings.

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:12:00 PM »
Dear Vinodji and Friends,

Swamiji(I don't know his name) goes up to Skandashramam after breakfast. You can enquire in the Ramanashramam office and they will let you know the exact time. I felt very blessed to be in his company and listen to his prayer. They also do other chanting on special days. He was talking about a reforesteration project on the hill and how some heartless people were setting fire on purpose. They have a very big water problem. They are looking for help from people to volunteer in any way they are able to, either by physically helping clean up the path of debris or financially.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:19:21 PM »
Greetings for the day Lataji,

That's a very valid point u have mentioned, I remember once when I have been to skandashramam there was a local guy who was trying to share sutta(desi cigarette) with one of the foreigner secretly. It happened just some distance while coming from skandashramam. I was very disappointed to see that and to be honest did not have guts to stop them coz only a insane person could do nasty things in such sacred place and its always risky to deal with them and there was nobody around to support me as well.

We also come across wastage like plastic covers, bottles etc while doing pradakshina from forest or while going to skandashramam. This should be strictly prohibited as it remains forever, until it is removed from there. I am open to do my bit(either as a labor or financial support) when I visit arunachalam next time.

Thanks for sharing the details about swamiji and his suprabhatham.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:22:59 PM by vinod526 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
Dear vinod,

Yes. The Hill is spoiled with many such waste products and smoking etc.,  There is an afforestation programme, in which
the volunteers also do the garbage removal. But unless people who go there behave well, these problems cannot be
stopped. The recent fires are said to have happened naturally. But sometimes, miscreants also light fire to remove dead
trees and leaves which are used as fuel.

Arunachala Siva.   

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Smoking reminds me of one thing, I remember listening some where (most probably TV) there are sadhus esp near Kasi who smoke some serious stuff like ganjai, zarda etc so that they can be in some kind of nasha (few people call it nisha) and with that they go in to some mysterious world and be more closer to god.

What do you think about it, is there come connection between subconscious mind (with such acts) and god? Or they just do it in the name of god, since they like it?

Well I have also seen sadhus in saffron clothes around the hill smoking and I am sure they are all dongi ones but not real ones.

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »
Namaste,

NO, don't take these street drugs.  They alter the state of mind and body and take you away from God. I am sure that is not what you want.

In Ganeshan's experiences of Bhagavan, that Raviji so kindly posted for us, in the thread - 

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7036.15

he describes how he was able to fulfill his mother's wish not to be administered any drugs at the time of death even though she was in pain and the doctor wanted to. Ganeshan anna describes it so beautifully.

I have seen the sadhus in Tiru do drugs because life on the streets is very hard. Life in general is hard unless you do really intense sadhana like put in atleast three hours of japam, chanting and hatha yoga exercises every day. How many of us have the time?  I know a few people who have disciplined themselves to do it but all other activities like partying and going to the movies have fallen by the wayside.  The focus is on sadhana.

Child of Arunachala   
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:53:57 PM by Child of Arunachala »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 03:57:40 PM »
Dear vinod526,

I do not know about smoking. This must have come into practice of sadhus not only in Kasi but also in Tiruvannamalai.
Earlier, before tobacco came to India, people were using only pan  betel-nuts and chunam. Some Sadhus were also
taking ganja (cannabis), as you say, to forget worldly worries, and to remain in a state of excitement, which would
pave way in their meditation. During Sri Bhagavan's time, Ganja was prevalent in the Hill. Once, someone offered Ganja
and Sri Bhagavan also took it, as it was offered with love. (Is He not Siva who took halahala poison?).  His eyes became red
and as otherwise He did not experience any excitement for He was ever in Atma Nishta. It was in the days of Skandasramam.
Mother Azhagamma knew it and she was anxiously looking at Her son. After sometime, the effects passed off. But Sri
Bhagavan specifically prohibited Ganja to be used by His devotees. He said that such external support need not be taken
for Self Surrender or Self Inquiry practices.

Once Sri Bhagavan had finished His bath and was coming out of the bathroom. Annamalai Swami and another were standing
outside and they were talking about Ganja and its effects. Annamalai Swmi asked Sri Bhagavan: "How will it be if one takes
Ganja?"  Sri Bhagavan smiled and embraced Annamalai Swami for a few seconds and said, Anandam, Anandam, Anandam!
(Bliss, Bliss, Bliss). Annamalai Swami, by Sri Bhagavan's embrace, got a pleasant shock and exhilarating feeling and that
remained with him for about half an hour. His mind stood still. He forgot the surroundings and was simply standing near
that bathroom for quite some time!

A joke about Ganja in Tiruvannamalai circles:

Once a sadhu did a lot of penance meditating on Siva but he had also the habit of consuming ganja. Siva one day
suddenly appeared before him and asked him to come to His Abode there and then. The sadhu said: Please wait.
Let me take my Ganja pouch and then come with You!

The protagonist  of ordinary tobacco, flakes, pan parag gutka, and cigarettes and beedies says  that one is not harming
others by taking these things. And of course, one  spoils one's own health. Ganja comes from a plant. This planting is
prohibited in India and is a punishable offence.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 04:40:42 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

I was just cynical about their approach towards god and curious to know more about it. I would never try or suggest such nasty things in the name of god. But however i agree with what ever you have mentioned.

Dear Subramanian - That was good and funny to read and I dont remember the name of substance which these sadhus smoke in kasi, so I have used ganjai which is a similar toxic substance.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

I use internet from phone, so the speed is slow due to which I am not able to view the link (may be size of the page is big). I will see it when I go to my brothers flat.

Thanks for the reference and have a great day!