Author Topic: Incomplete Pradakshina  (Read 7047 times)

Vinod

• View Profile
Incomplete Pradakshina
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:15:32 PM »
Dear ones,

It was on my birthday 2011, I have decided to be @ arunachalam and I went there, woke up early in the morning to do girivalam from forest. I waited till the gate opens and by the time gate was opened it was 5.30. My desire was to do puja with bilva leaves, to one of the lingam in the forest (some one has placed it in the recent past i believe). One can find this lingam if you can follow the yellow namam route (which is the innermost route). Trust me people the early morning view of sun rays falling on the hill was beautiful, I still cant forget the image (I am attaching the image which i took from phone)

I thought it wouldn't be so hard to do pradakshina bare foot from forest, as I have done it in my maiden visit but it turned out to be very painful and difficult. Some how I reached the lingam and done the puja, as I have desired and was so happy that I could do it on my birthday. Till then every thing was going fine but it was starting to get very sunny and was already 10 AM and still lot of girivalam left. Finally my girivalam from forest was done and I have joined the road path (near Pachaiamman  temple) by 11.30 and the moment I kept my feet on the road it was like a hot pan and It was impossible to complete the pradakshina. Being very dejected that I couldn't able to do it on my birthday, I left to room. I was so upset that I kept my phone in silent and did not answer any call who tried to wish and I went to sleep.

I woke up and spoke to mom that I was unsuccessful, she tried to cheer me up and asked me not to worry. However I was stubborn to do it on my birthday. This time I decided to take the road path and started at 6 PM and completed by 11.50 PM(before my birthday was about to finish). The day which started with disappointment, ended to be one of the most memorable day in my life!

Here is my question.... Is there any reason like we are not blessed or we have done some sin in the past, due to which we cannot complete the pradakshina no matter how hard we try? Or is it just destined in such way?

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Incomplete Pradakshina
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:54:43 PM »
Dear vinod526,

Incomplete giri pradakshina is not a sin at all. Sri Bhagavan has told some old devotee, 'If you cannot complete the
girivalam, stop and proceed next day or on next occasion, from the spot, you had left on the previous day or previous
occasion.

That way, incomplete pradakshina can be completed by proceeding from where one had left the route earlier and from that spot,
one can proceed further and complete it.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:40:33 PM »
Dear Subramanian Ji,

Thank you for answering my query and have a pleasant evening!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:11:50 PM »
Dear vinod,

Once an old lady (may be relative of Suri Nagamma or T.R. Kanakammal) wanted to do giri pradakshina but she was
apprehensive about her physical stamina. Sri Bhagavan said: you engage a bullock cart and go behind that cart,
by walk. Once you become tired, you get into the bullock cart and cover some distance. Again you can come down
from the cart and walk some distance and like this you can complete the pradaskhina.

How many concessions Sri Bhagavan had given for a variety of devotees!

Arunachala Siva. 

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

That's so nice of master!

I have one more confession to make. From the time i have gained spiritual consciousness, I am only attached to lord shiva and no other god, dont know why. If it is any thing related to him, it attracts my interest and can go to any extent. I hate to admit that when it comes to other gods or their festivals, I am not so committed and dont even try to go to temple or atleast do namaskaar for the puja done by my mother @ home.

Is such attitude towards one god is good or do I need to change my self or is it a psychological disorder?

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:28:32 PM by vinod526 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:16:01 PM »
Dear vinod526,

There is nothing wrong. There is an Ishta Devata (Devata of liking) to everyone. This liking of Devata is inborn. My Ishta Devata
is Siva. It became Arunachala Siva in due course. But considering the advaitic truth that God is formless, and one can pray to
any form to attain the formless,  one should treat all gods alike i.e. there should be no dislike for any other god. Once Kunju
Swami went to Kovilur Math. He stayed for some time and while leaving he found many devotees prostrating to the Math's
Pontiff, but he did not prostrate but merely came away taking the oils given by the Pontiff for Sri Bhagavan's use (for rheumatism).

Sri Bhagavan who knows everything as a Jnani, asked Kunju Swami whether he prostrated to Pontiff while
leaving their Math. Kunju Swami said: No. I do not prostrate to anyone other than you, Bhagavan! Sri Bhagavan
chided him and said: All Gurus are same. You should have prostrated to him,  considering that you are prostrating to me.
Kunju Swami did not answer but kept silent.

What Sri Bhagavan said for Gurus is also true for Gods. You prostrate to Narayana or Muruga or Ganesa - considering them
as Siva. There is nothing wrong.

Arunachala Siva. 

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Thats very nice to read and thank you as always!

Child of Arunachala

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:06:40 PM »
Dear ones,

It was on my birthday 2011, ..... My desire was to do puja with bilva leaves, to one of the lingam in the forest (some one has placed it in the recent past i believe).

Echammal was one of Bhagavan's great devotees. For years she considered it her sacred duty daily to cook food for Bhagavan, climbing the hill in all seasons to take it to him, and see him partake of it. Only then would she eat. Once, she undertook a vratam (vow) called laksharchana, worshipping the ishta devta (god) by offering 100,000 sacred leaves or flowers. Daily she collected sacred leaves (patri) and performed the puja. Soon summer set in. Leaves became scarce. She had offered only half the number by that time. She would roam all over the area and the hill too, with little success. She narrated her plight to Bhagavan.

“Why don't you go on pinching your own body, as many times as the number of leaves required, and complete the puja?” he asked. Echammal was taken aback, “Oh! It would be very painful, Bhagavan!” she replied, “I see,” Bhagavan said, “then will it not be painful for the trees, too, when you pluck away their leaves one by one?” The lesson went home. She gave up the vratam.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »
Dear Child of Arunachala,

The story you have said about Echammal is also true. But most of us are not able to follow this. Devi kalottaram, Verse 70 and
71 also say: You should do puja with flowers that have fallen on their own due to wind etc.,

The practice is quite difficult. We need at least some flowers and on festival days we need apart from flowers, bhilwa or tulsi\
leaves also. But what to do? Sri Bhagavan is the pinnacle of compassion to all living beings. It will take us a long long time to
follow Him on these aspects.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 04:19:12 PM »

With one lakh leaves or flowers!!??
Yes, that was a great lesson to learn from the master.

Subramanian ji - I was thinking the same and you have mentioned it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 08:32:42 PM »
Dear All,

Talking about giri pradakshina, one Western lady, during one of the last two years, did body pradakshina of the Hill !!
She rolled on the outer path and completed a rolling pradakshina in one full day.

Muruganar did giri pradakshina for 48 days continuously. He said after covering some distance, he had lost body
consciousness and was walking with inner voice guiding him.

One Deiva Sikamani Desikar of the past, did giri pradakshina, with chanting of 100 times Nama Sivaya, for each step.
I am not sure how many days he took to complete it.

Arunachala Siva.       

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 11:51:44 PM »
Oh My God!

The best thing is to zap the mouth, as we cannot say anything on such great dedication towards the magical hill. Instead if we can take inspiration from them and follow simple things correctly while doing pradakshina should make us satisfied.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »

The story you have said about Echammal is also true. But most of us are not able to follow this. Devi kalottaram, Verse 70 and
71 also say: You should do puja with flowers that have fallen on their own due to wind etc.,

The practice is quite difficult. We need at least some flowers and on festival days we need apart from flowers, bhilwa or tulsi\
leaves also. But what to do? Sri Bhagavan is the pinnacle of compassion to all living beings. It will take us a long long time to

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian Ji,

Yesterday my mom took some 15 flowers approx and kept near our masters small photo in my bedroom. I suggested her to just put 2 flowers, as it should be fine and insisted her to not to pluck too many flowers from the plant and it is even fine, if she gets flowers which are fell at the bottom of the plant. Immediately she replied that, she watched in sanskaar TV where they said not to offer flowers to the god which are fallen. I dont know what to say, as even she trusts her source and this is the main problem these days, where we have different people saying different things and there is often confusion with practices.

Any say on this?

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian Ji,

Yesterday my mom took some 15 flowers approx and kept near our masters small photo in my bedroom. I suggested her to just put 2 flowers, as it should be fine and insisted her to not to pluck too many flowers from the plant and it is even fine, if she gets flowers which are fell at the bottom of the plant. Immediately she replied that, she watched in sanskaar TV where they said not to offer flowers to the god which are fallen. I dont know what to say, as even she trusts her source and this is the main problem these days, where we have different people saying different things and there is often confusion with practices.

Any say on this?

OM ARUNAACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Dear Vinod,

This is interesting question and i will tell You what i think. Ask Your mam what is the difference between the fallen flower and the plucked flower. Both are dead. So she is offering dead thing to God. Would God be offended with something like that? Would she take her own eyes and put it like offering if on Sanskaar TV they say her to do that? If wouldnt be better to put some living plant there,so every day when she is watering and tender it,it is the offering to God. Growing one life for a new one.
Many times i think about that offerings,and more,about the reasons behind them. Is it not our own wellfare,is it not selfishness? Would we give all that if God is siting somewhere in the heaven,enjoying,playing harf and not bothering about us? Would we? No,we would say " O,He is enjoying there,and i give Him flowers. No more flowers for Him!" :) And that doasnt metter either,everything is in some way,more or less selfish. But we need to see that,to be aware of that.
And dont take me wrong. We should offer everything to God,but not to kill in the process. We give offerings,give everything which includes something else,but when we need to give ourselfs,to make a sacrifice which include us,then where we are? And He even dont ask anything,except to end with this misery.

And,also,understand them,our parents. They are like that for many years,they are razed in that manner. So we need to go slowly with them.
Dont force anything on them! We need to find Who we are,and in the process we will became more loving,more kind,and in that way we will give them example. And when God and Life begin to give us everything that,a Million times more,they will see that is the good thing to do. At least,they will wish same happiness. :)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
:) Is not a fallen flower or flower in tree both God himself?
Salutations to Bhagawan