Author Topic: Atma-vichara problem and vairagya  (Read 1762 times)

deepa

• View Profile
Atma-vichara problem and vairagya
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:16:57 AM »
Namaste.

With Bhagawan's grace, all the reading in this forum and books and listening to vedantic topics has really helped calm the mind. Over the last couple of years, I have been able to detach myself from events around me though reacting as I should as a grihastha. Even a temporary agitation passes away quickly. I wish I'd got this earlier in life, but better late than never!

I have two issues that I am struggling with and need help on.

As Nochur-ji suggests, I have been practising atma vichara before going to bed and as soon as I get up for about 10-15 mins. I have been doing this my watching my mind, trying to keep it thoughtless and trying to see inward. Currently, I only end up having tears flow down.. not sure if it is because I am failing in atma vichara, but a swamiji I know said that is ok and to ignore it. But once the tears come, I am forced to stop. How can I overcome this? Is watching the prana easier?

Also, I am still struggling with controlling my temptations.. especially for food. While it has been easier to give away or reduce other desires (sleep/material objects/entertainment), food is proving problematic and leaving me feeling worthless and guilty. I try to suppress desire for good food/sweets for a few days, but it comes back even more intensely when I completely lose control. More than any health issues, I am upset that I am unable to exercise vairagya here.

Can other sadhakas provide some guidance of how to overcome these?
Thanks a lot,
Deepa

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Atma-vichara problem and vairagya
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
Dear deepa,

While doing Atma Vichara if you end up in tears, do not worry.  These and some other symptoms come and go. One should
try to go beyond it. No doubt, it is one of the good symptoms, more often experienced by saints and devotees in bhakti
marga.  As regards your food intake, it is again dependent on one's bodily nature, type of work that one does etc., Do
not make any painful efforts to reduce it.  Higher food intake is not a desire by itself, it comes due to a variety of reasons.
This should also be left as it is and things would find its level in due course.

I remember Dhandapani Swami, Muruganar's father-in-law.  He was by nature a tall and stout person with a huge belly
and he used to take more food in the Asramam. Sri Bhagavan used to say humorously: Give him more idlis, give him more
rice etc., Remember Sri Bhagavan did not discourage Swami's large food consumption, since Sri Bhagavan knew the reasons
as well.

Arunachala Siva.     

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 02:55:38 AM »
Thanks, sir. That was very encouraging!!

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »
Also, I am still struggling with controlling my temptations.. especially for food. While it has been easier to give away or reduce other desires (sleep/material objects/entertainment), food is proving problematic and leaving me feeling worthless and guilty. I try to suppress desire for good food/sweets for a few days, but it comes back even more intensely when I completely lose control. More than any health issues, I am upset that I am unable to exercise vairagya here.

Deepa - The Supreme truth is not something you experience by "controlling", suppressing and feeling guilty. You have to just watch the one who is trying to control and feel guilty. It is NOT you. Please do not spend energies in activities that is NOT for you or yours. They will fade away when time comes. It will be a worthless spend of energy trying to control, suppress things which are NOT you. The truth is NOT something you get by doing these actions. It is what exists when none of these actions are present. So please dont add actions to what you already have.

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 01:19:44 PM »
Dear deepa and sanjaya_ganesh,

Once Tikruvenkattu Siddhar (Pattinathar) was lying on the paddy fields' border, keeping a stone under his head.  Two lady
laborers were walking that way. One lady told another: See, my friend, this Tiruvenkattu Siddhar! Though a Sannyasi,
still he needs a stone as a pillow! 

Pattinathar felt very guilty. Yes. Why should I need a stone as a pillow? Then he was lying on the borders of paddy fields
with his elbow as the pillow.

The two ladies came again. One said to another: See the 'self respect' for this Siddhar. On hearing our words, he is now
having his elbow as a pillow in place of stone!

Pattinathar stood up and thought for a while. I am a sannyasi.  Why should I listen to these ladies and go on chaning
my lying pattern?  I am not going to feel guilty about anything. Only Siva knows what I am doing is right or wrong.

He then lied down with that old stone as his pillow and remained free from thoughts.

Live your own life. Sri Bhagavan used to say: Please live like a leaf on the fast flowing stream. The leaf has no say in its
movement. The fast flowing water would take it along with it. You have no say in any matter!

Arunachala Siva.           

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:16:30 PM »
Live your own life. Sri Bhagavan used to say: Please live like a leaf on the fast flowing stream. The leaf has no say in its
movement. The fast flowing water would take it along with it. You have no say in any matter!

YES - No better words to explain !! And this is what Karma Yoga also tells us (From Original Gita, NOT today's Management Gita :))
Salutations to Bhagawan