Author Topic: Can you help me understand these by answering some of my questions, please?  (Read 3262 times)

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste,

I have been reading and re-reading a book titled Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge by A. Osborne.
It is very encouranging but yet there are some things that I can't understand what they mean. Here they follow with my specific questions:

"When Mrs. Noye had to return to her native America she could not restrain her tears. Sri Bhagavan consoled her: “Why do you weep? I am with you wherever you go.”
It is true of all Bhagavan’s devotees. He is always with them; if they remember him he will remember them; even if they let go of him he will not let go of them, nevertheless to have it said to one personally was a great blessing." (Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge by A. Osborne)

In what sense is He with me now? Could someone please explain it to me? How can I know for sure He is with me here and now? It has been more than a year that I could visit Arunachala and I long to see Him again but somehow I am unable to go back - I am kept back from phisically going back for now but I still have the longing for Him. Can it be a sign that I have stuffs to do here in my native land and so it is also enough to remember Arunachala from afar? Reciting the mantras Arunachala Siva and Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya is a way of remembereing Him for example? And remembering my time at Arunachala?

"This refers not only to the sanctity of Arunachala itself but also to the pre-eminence of the doctrine of Advaita and the path of Self-enquiry of which Arunachala is the centre. One can understand this meaning in Sri Bhagavan’s saying, “In the end everyone must come to Arunachala.”" (pg 48 Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge by A. Osborne)

I have been to Arunachala once and since then I feel to be kept back from returning there. Can it happen that someone longs to be there yet she can go there only once in a lifetime? Then maybe one needs to be satisfied with her memory of Arunachala and do her job, work, stuff at other places far from Arunachala but always thinking of Him? Or can this coming to Arunachala also mean the recognition of the Self?

"Now, as then, he guides whoever approaches him and whoever submits to him he supports. To all who seek, He is here." (pg 221. Ramana Maharshi and the Path of Self-knowledge by A. Osborne)

How can I approach and submit to him (Sri Bhagavan Maharshi) in practice? What does seeking Him mean in practice? - in everyday life?
Reciting the mantras Arunachala Siva and Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya is a way of remembereing Him for example?
Is it also a way of seeking Him when I have something to decide on and I pray with my own words like, "Ramana, please, show me the way / step I need to take or things I need to do"?

Thank you very much in advance for your helpful answers!

Arunachala Shiva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear kicsi 108,

Ms. Noye had seen Sri Bhagavan only once during her brief stay. But she must have always remembered Him. That is sufficient
to invoke His Grace. Wolter Kiers saw Him only once, but he remembered Him till his death. One evening, he placed a photograph
and prostrated but did not rise up again. He merged with Arunachala.  About Arunachala there is a saying, smaranadh Arunachalam....
One who remembers Arunachala constantly or often, attains liberation.  Of course, one can visit Asramam if possible. Because His
Presence is more powerful in the Samadhi Hall. But if one cannot afford, it does not matter. People in India visit Asramam once in
a year or even two or three times a year. It is all to reinforce your faith in Him.  But for people who cannot visit, remembering Him
constantly is more than enough to obtain His grace.

Ramanagiri Swami did not see Him at all. But he came to know about Him and came to the Asramam. Such cases are also there.
Someone else had a dream calling him or her to Asramam and they had come.

The only pre-requisite is chidda suddhi. One should have purity of mind. Other things will happen on its own accord.

He is a living Guru, though not living in body. But His Presence is quite powerful. There are many who had vouchsafed it.
David Godman came only after Sri Bhagavan's Mahanirvana. He is now staying in Tiiruvannamalai for more than 3 decades.

Arunachala Siva.         

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Dear kicsi 108,

Ms. Noye had seen Sri Bhagavan only once during her brief stay. But she must have always remembered Him. That is sufficient
to invoke His Grace. Wolter Kiers saw Him only once, but he remembered Him till his death. One evening, he placed a photograph
and prostrated but did not rise up again. He merged with Arunachala.  About Arunachala there is a saying, smaranadh Arunachalam....
One who remembers Arunachala constantly or often, attains liberation.  Of course, one can visit Asramam if possible. Because His
Presence is more powerful in the Samadhi Hall. But if one cannot afford, it does not matter. People in India visit Asramam once in
a year or even two or three times a year. It is all to reinforce your faith in Him.  But for people who cannot visit, remembering Him
constantly is more than enough to obtain His grace.

Ramanagiri Swami did not see Him at all. But he came to know about Him and came to the Asramam. Such cases are also there.
Someone else had a dream calling him or her to Asramam and they had come.

The only pre-requisite is chidda suddhi. One should have purity of mind. Other things will happen on its own accord.

He is a living Guru, though not living in body. But His Presence is quite powerful. There are many who had vouchsafed it.
David Godman came only after Sri Bhagavan's Mahanirvana. He is now staying in Tiiruvannamalai for more than 3 decades.

Arunachala Siva.       

Dear Subramanian. R.,
Thank you very much for your answer. It is helpful and encouraging!

Yet, could some other unanswered questions be unswared - regardind types of prayers, etc.  Thanks.
Arunachala Shiva

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Dear friend,
You can regularly buy books of Bhagavan which will keep you remembering him.
Like Shri Subramanian once said , you can start with the reminescences of various devotees and go on to books of his teachings,Talks with Shri Ramana Maharshi and so on.
You can  go through Ramanashramam's web site www.sriramanamaharshi.org books section.
You can also try to see if there is any Ramana Kendra near where you live in, whichever country you are.
Last and most importantly ,start to explore self enquiry slowly but steadily , Bhagavan's direct teaching .For this you may refer Be As you are by David Godman, the path of Sri Ramana part 1 and 2.
As far as visiting Arunachala is concerned , it is in God's hands.If the longing is there , you will defintely be there, but when, no one can say .Like all things about Arunachala, this is another aspect of Arunachala's sublime mystery.But again in one sense by remembering him in your mind,you are already there ,isnt it?
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear kicsi,

As said by Anand Sundaram, you can start with reminiscences of Sri Bhagavan by His devotees. This will give you a first hand
information about how these devotees remembered Him and prayed to Him. How they developed their love to total surrender,
or how they developed their self inquiry sadhana.

As for daily reading as prayers, I would suggest.

1. 108 Holy Names of Sri Ramana. Originally in Sanskrit with Tamizh meaning. But it is available in English also.

2. Who am I? Read every day as if you are reading afresh.

3. Upadesa Saram or Upadesa Undiyar, in any language.

Arunachala Siva.     

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Dear kicsi,

As said by Anand Sundaram, you can start with reminiscences of Sri Bhagavan by His devotees. This will give you a first hand
information about how these devotees remembered Him and prayed to Him. How they developed their love to total surrender,
or how they developed their self inquiry sadhana.

As for daily reading as prayers, I would suggest.

1. 108 Holy Names of Sri Ramana. Originally in Sanskrit with Tamizh meaning. But it is available in English also.

2. Who am I? Read every day as if you are reading afresh.

3. Upadesa Saram or Upadesa Undiyar, in any language.

Arunachala Siva.   

Namaste,

How interesting it is! I began reading 'Who am I?" and "Upadesa Saram" and pray to Bhagavan daily this week and now I am reading your post about your suggestion! Thanks!

Thank you for all other helpful answers, too!

Arunachala Shiva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi108,

After some time, you can start reading ULLadu Narpadu or Sad Darsanam in Sanskrit.  This is not for parayana - daily chanting,
but to know the comprehensive  teachings of Sri Bhagavan on Atma Vichara.  There are several meaning/commentaries available.
Go verse by verse in depth. If you understand one verse per day - it is good enough.

1. Smt. T.R. Kanakammal. (Tamizh)

2.  Sri Kapali Sastri (Sanskrit)

3.  Sri Lakshmana Sarma (Tamizh)

and a few others.

There are also CDs in Tamizh by Nochur Venkataraman, in all running for 45 hours for 42 verses!  Excellent sravanam.

Arunachala Siva.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste,

Thank you for your help.
I don't know Sanksrit and Tamil.
I know / speak English and French... :)

Arunachala Shiva

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Kicsi 108,

No problem. There is a beautiful English translation (prose) of Sad Darsanam/Ulladu Narpadu, by Dr. T.M.P.
Mahadevan, late Professor of Philosophy under the Institute of Advanced Philosophy attached to Madras
University. This is titled FORTY VERSES ON EXISTENCE. This book is also available as Sri Ramanasramam Publication.

There are English translations by Chinmaya Mission too.

Arunachala Siva.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Namaste,

Thank You sooo much for this help!
Arunachala Shiva

ksksat27

• View Profile
Hi

I could see you have so many questions on Arunachala and Ramana.

From my own experience with both Arunachala and Ramana,  they are very very beyond any logic.

There is no common rule on how different sadhaks are being treated by them.   But neverthless,  one thing is sure: the person  who comes to Rama comes closer and closer to Truth.

But how that gets manifest in the external world and how the sadhak interprets it is very very unique and different with every individual.

The initial soothing and peace that gets emanated may well be accompanied by periods of doubts,  confusions,  struggles etc.etc. etc.

Bhagavan Ramana sometimes appears very strict to me.  He is athyashrami,  a very very rare bhrama jnani.  What and how he will deal with you us the innermost secret known only to you .

What type of books you shall read about Bhagavan,  whether you will do self enquiry or japa of mantras you mentioned --  everything everything is a secret agreement between you and Ramana.

Nobody else can interfere and say what may be suitable to you.

So please keep this mind:  always associate yourself with Arunachala and Ramana.  Either through teaching or through their photo or biography or however you feel.

Rest are always guided by Maharishee according to your past vasanas.  All the best.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear kicsi and others,

Everything starts with devotion and complete faith in Him. Sri Bhagavan Himself has said: If you take one step towards me,
I shall take nine steps towards you.

Arunachala Siva.

Kicsi108

• View Profile
Dear Subramanian.R,

This is so encouraging!
Arunachala Shiva

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
who Ramana really is is awareness itself . this is also who you really are . one and the same , no separation .
therefore Ramana is always with you because he IS you , as you are him .
the separation is only a story the mind tells , a belief .
you believe you are a person and you believe Ramana is someone separate from yourself .
when you stop telling the story you will see who you are without it , who you really are .
then you will know Ramana is always with you
 :)

simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Dear Beloved Abstract,

I agree with you.  Sri Bhagavan said to Sunyata: We are Aware, Sunyata'. That is all. Since Sunyata's ego is not at all developed,
he could become one with Sri Bhagavan immediately. But we are all full of kingsize  egos and  we tend to believe the mind's stories
instead of Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.