Author Topic: How many here do or dont do sandhya vandhanam  (Read 8651 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
How many here do or dont do sandhya vandhanam
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:32:22 PM »

How many here from brahmins and other family systems where Sandhya Vandhana was done by your forefathers?

And among these people whose duty is to do sandhya vandhanam -- how many of you dont do sandhya vandhanam and gayathri mantra
recitation? And what is the reason for not doing this?

As regards of myself,  I am a brahmin myself and until my Grand Father --  my forefathers regularly performed
both Gayathri and Sandhya Vandhanam.

But I dont do both of them due to various excuses.  My excuse is this:  a stressful job that makes me sleep until
8 AM and then hurriedly start to office.  In the night when I come at 9 PM ,  I just go to bed after a meal being very tired.

This topic is intended not to hurt you,  but to provoke a sense of importance of sandhya vandhanam and we can discuss about
various ways by which we can start doing this.

I have started last Sunday with a plan of weekend Sandhya Vandhanam --  one time on Morning every Holiday I get.

You can all come out with similar ideas.

Also there is a class of people atleast I know --  they feel  there are so much guidelines to sandhay vandhanam ritual that
one cannot follow in a rushful office hour.   And due to these guidelines,  they dont want to do a hasty sandhya vandhanam
and hence avoid it altogether.  Is there anybody in this class?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How many here do or dont do sandhya vandhanam
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

I do chanting of only Gayatri - 28 times on all days and 108 times on Sundays.

The reason is: I have other prayers to do. Some of them are done before bath and Gayatri and some mantras initiated
to me - are done after bath.

Every year after the Upakarma day, I do 1008 times on the next day.

Arunachala Siva.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »
Dear Krishnan,
I dont do Sandhyavandhanam and I do not feel good about it.Actually I have time to do in the morning but I dont .
Maybe inspired by you, i will try to restart the practice.
regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
Dear Krishnan ,
A friend had told me once that regular Sandhyavandhanam keeps stress away .I think one time Sandhyavandhanam in the morning is definitely possible.
What can help motivate one regularly to do the same,I do not know.May be others can throw some light.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »
Dear Anand,

1. Early morning bath. Preferably between five and seven.

2. Take a vow to do sandhya vandhanam or even simple gayatri chanting without arkyam and then only take coffee or tea.
Initially it will be difficult. While doing sandhya vandhanam, you will be thinking of hot coffee or tea. But in due course,
it will become normal.

3. Even on Sundays, just because it is a holiday, do not postpone your bath and sandhya. In fact Sunday sandhya vandhanam
in good time, is more potent since Sunday is the day of Sun.

The ancients said: kANAmal, koNAmal kaNdu kodu.....

kANAmal       - i.e. even before sunrise, without seeing sun - morning sandhya vandhanam.

koNAmal      - i.e when Sun is not angular but  straight on your head, say 12 noon - second sandhya vandhanam.

kaNdu         - i..e seeing the Sun before its setting, say, at 5.30 pm,

kodu           -chant sandhya mantram and give oblations.

At least office going people can follow the first one. If not before sun rise, at least at 6.30 am!

Arunachala Siva.     

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 01:20:51 AM »
most of times i try to repeat all imp slokas in sandhya vandanam daily morning without fail after my bath.

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:39:22 AM »
Dear Krishnan ,
A friend had told me once that regular Sandhyavandhanam keeps stress away .I think one time Sandhyavandhanam in the morning is definitely possible.
What can help motivate one regularly to do the same,I do not know.May be others can throw some light.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.

Dear Anand

One if possible can adopt the more stringent waking up -- avoiding coffee before bath and doing sandhyavandhanam etc.  as told by Subramaniam sir.

As far as myself is concerned,  I wake up only at 7:30 AM,  I am addicted to morning coffee to some extent.

So I started doing sandhyavandhanam around 8:30 AM --  that too only on weekends.  Only from last month.

Regards,
Krishna

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
I am also working my way to do twice regular sandhyavandanam properly but since I have already invested my time in my Yoga Sadhana ,need to do some adjustment in the same .But I have read enough to understand the fact that Sandhya Vandanam is the best sadhana for any householder /brahmachari if it is understood and done with full seriousness as it is a combination of Karma , Bhakthi and Jnana .
The alternative for me for Sandhya Vanadanam is Chanting Aditya Hridyam , Gayathri Japa 54 times .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:13:10 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

This month being Tamizh Sravana (Avani Avittam), one can chant at least on Sundays, 108 Gayatri and read Aditya
Hridyam.  Sravana is the month, when the Sun is in the zodiac of Leo which is his own house. Hence he is powerful
to confer benefits.  Aditya Hridayam and Gayatri japa is good to propitiate him.

Aditya Hridayam says:

Sarva chatru vinasanam - all enemies (both inside and outside) will be vanquished.

Jayavaham - one gets victory.

Paramam Sivam - all welfare will accrue.

Sarva papa prasAnam - all ill-deeds will be condoned.

Chinta sokam nivarthanam - all mental anguish will go.

Ayurvardhanam      - gives long life.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:37:56 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

This month being Tamizh Sravana (Avani Avittam), one can chant at least on Sundays, 108 Gayatri and read Aditya
Hridyam.  Sravana is the month, when the Sun is in the zodiac of Leo which is his own house. Hence he is powerful
to confer benefits.  Aditya Hridayam and Gayatri japa is good to propitiate him.

Sure Subramanyam Sir

There is absolutely no excuse for not chanting Gayathri 108 or more times on Sundays or Holidays or when we are free .According to all Acharya's doing Sandhya Vandanam /Gayathri is not just for the individual but for the welfare of the entire society and hence they ask us to take it seriously as a great service that one is doing for the welfare of the society .
I am happy that this forum is discussing this important topic .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
Dear Atma Vichar,

I dont do anything. Is sandhya vandanam means just doing namaskaar to the sun god after bath in early hours?
I dont even know what is gayatri mantram, why we have to do and how many times?

I've just recently started doing self enquiry, thats it!

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:29 AM »
Dear Atma Vichar,

I dont do anything. Is sandhya vandanam means just doing namaskaar to the sun god after bath in early hours?
I dont even know what is gayatri mantram, why we have to do and how many times?

I've just recently started doing self enquiry, thats it!

Dear Vinod

I am not competent to prescribe to others what should be done / not done and I can only share some pointers .
Sandhya Vandanam  and Gayathri Japa is a daily ritual invoking of  Water Oblation ( Karma Yoga )+ Prayer ( Bhakti Yoga  ) + Japa of Gayathri ( Jnana Yoga ) to the Sun God ( at the beginner level you invoke the physical sun and once you mature you invoke the inner sun i.e Atman ) .
It is a perfect combination of Karma , Bhakti and Jnana  Yogas.
Actually 3 varnas were supposed to do and it got declined to only Brahmins doing the same and the tragedy today is that even the Brahmins have stopped doing the same . If you want to know why Brahmins need to do then you must read Kanchi Paramacharaya's Deivathin Kural .
I am a Brahmin and though I have been involved in my Yogic Sadhana ,have not done my Sandhya Vandanam properly and I feel it is high time I start putting it as part of my regular schedule .
If you are not a Brahmin do not worry about not doing Sandhya Vandanam .
But the Hymn Aditya Hridyam is an excellent Hymn that is invoking the sun God and anyone can chant it and our Puranas talk about Lord Rama being dejected in his war against Ravana as he was unable to defeat him and Sage Agastya initiated him with the Aditya Hridayam Mantra ( it is a long hymn ) and after chanting it ,  Lord Rama got the strength to fight Ravana and defeat him .
My take on the whole issue ( this is only my interpretation ) is Ravana represents the Tamasic qualities in us and at times we feel lazy and tired and lack motivation and so Chanting this Aditya Hridyam will awaken the energy in us and make us dynamic to face life with confidence .

So in conclusion :
If you are happy doing your current sadhana of Atma Vichar or Self Enquiry  by all means continue with it .But if you are interested in getting the Grace of Sun God then kindly chant Aditya Hridayam .If you have difficulty in following Sanskrit then learn Thirupalli ezuchi of Saint Manickavachagar which is actually chanted in the Mornings at all Temples .This is the best way to start the day i.e Chanting Aditya Hridayam( Sanskrit ) or Tirupalli Ezuchi ( Tamil ) ,if you have time chant Both .
But do not worry if u are unable to do anything . If you have faith in Bhagawan Ramana or Arunachala chant the Mantra : Om Namo Bhagavate Sri  Ramanaya , Om Arunachaleshwaraya Namaha , 108 times when you get up in morning and also in evening .
Note : These are just pointers from me , do what pleases you but do it with sincerity , faith and devotion and God will guide you accordingly .

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 12:21:36 PM »
Note : These are just pointers from me , do what pleases you but do it with sincerity , faith and devotion and God will guide you accordingly .

Dear Atma Vichar,

These simple words are of great inspiration and trust me it also made me emotional coz I dont have any spiritual knowledge and the only two books I have read completely till date is "guide to girivalam" and "short story on cow lakshmi"(since I love animals) and nothing else. Much of all I am liking self realization and would continue doing it.

Thank you so much for your heart touching words(just reminded of my father after so many years).

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 04:54:55 PM »

Dear Atma Vichar,

These simple words are of great inspiration and trust me it also made me emotional coz I dont have any spiritual knowledge and the only two books I have read completely till date is "guide to girivalam" and "short story on cow lakshmi"(since I love animals) and nothing else. Much of all I am liking self realization and would continue doing it.

Thank you so much for your heart touching words(just reminded of my father after so many years).

Dear Vinod

Do not bother much about acquiring much spiritual knowledge . Bhagawan Ramana was available both to the scholarly as well as to the ordinary people . Those who had a pure and innocent mind received his grace and guidance .
So keep up with whatever Sadhana you are doing and surrender the fruits of the same to Bhagawan and he will guide you accordingly .
Thanks for reminding me about the book on Cow Lakshmi , I got the same for my brothers daughter ( who is in USA ) and who loves animals but could not send it last time as they had excess luggage .I just have the book by my table and will read it before I find  a way to send it to her by post or through some one .
BTW I am not old enough to be your fathers age and you can consider me as your elder brother .
Happy that you found inspiration from my post .Take Care .Bye Om Peace .