Author Topic: Shakti Ma  (Read 5588 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Shakti Ma
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
Dear Ravi and Nagaraj,

You may see from the series of questions that Jyoti asked, whether Sri Bhagavan prayed to Sakti Ma, whether He has written
any poems on Sakti Ma and whether He had visited Sakti Ma's shrine in the temple. I think Jyoti has got some Sakti Ma as her
ishta devata, and so these questions were raised. Even if I had written about Mother Azhgammal, or Cow Lakshmi or Muthu
Krishna Bhagavatar's sister, who gave Him Gokulashtami sweets, or even His chitti, I am sure such replies would not have
satisfied Jyoti.  Hence it so happened, when I was chanting Sri Ramana Ashottaram,  this morning, the name Sahayamba
Sahayavan struck me and the anecdote that He hid Himself in the sanctum of Sahayavalli Amman shrine in Tiruchuzhi, struck a
cord in my mind.

It so happened that Jyoti pursued the question and to 'satisfy her' that I had to mention about the Tiruchuzhi incident.

I am sure an esoteric broadening of the truth that all womenfolk even cows are only Sakti Ma would not have definitely
satisfied her. Her question was to elicit information whether Sri Bhagavan prayed to Sakti Ma or wrote poems (remember
Jyoti mentioned about Uma Sahasram) on Sakti Ma or visited her shrines.

Arunachala Siva.       

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
Friends,
The Story of the Matrubhuteswara shrine as narrated by Sadhu Arunachala:
Bhagavan was deeply interested in the construction of the Shrine built over his Mother’s tomb. He attended
every function in connection with it, placing his hands in blessing on the various objects that were to be enclosed
in the walls. At night, when no one was about he would walk round and round the construction consecrating it.
That he should take such a demonstrative part in anything has a very deep significance. It was extremely rare and has
been doubted by many, but I myself was an eye-witness to these things and can vouch for their truth.
He took a personal interest in the cutting of the Sri Chakra Meru in granite which was installed in the
completed temple and is regularly worshipped. This is about one and a half feet square and proportionately high.
At the time of the Kumbhabhishekam, on the penultimate night before the sacred water was poured over the images,
he personally superintended the installation in the inner shrine. It was an extremely hot night and with three
charcoal retorts for melting the cement adding to the heat,it must have been intolerable inside the airless cave of the
inner shrine, but for about an hour and a half Bhagavan sat there telling the workmen what to do.
On the last night of the function he went in procession, opening the doors of the new Hall and temple
and passing straight up into the Inner Shrine, where he stood for some five minutes with both hands laid on the
Sri Chakra in blessing. I happened that night to be at his side the whole time; this was unusual as I deliberately
avoided taking prominent part in such things, preferring to watch from the back. Strangely, something made me
keep by him on this occasion and on account of this I was able to understand his deep interest in the Temple and
especially in the Sri Chakra. It was because of this knowledge that I was instrumental after Bhagavan’s passing,
in persuading the Ashram authorities to institute the Sri Chakra Poojas six times a month. The explanation for
this unusual action on Bhagavan’s part may be found in the necessity that Siva must be always accompanied by
Shakti. The world would stop otherwise
. On the only occasion when such a Pooja was performed shortly after
the dedication of the Temple during the life of Bhagavan,he refused to go for his evening meal but insisted on
remaining a witness of it until the end. When someone remarked how magnificent it had been and it would be a
good thing if such Poojas could be performed regularly,“Yes,” replied Bhagavan, “but who will take the trouble?
The trouble is being taken now and it undoubtedly has the blessings of Bhagavan.
I do not think that anyone who has written about Bhagavan and the Ashram has remarked on the
extraordinary fact that here we have a Temple dedicated by a Jnani; there cannot be very many such, and there
must be some very deep meaning in it. A great many devotees who come to the Ashram have only time for
the Samadhi where Bhagavan was interred. I do not pretend myself to understand why he did it or what
will be the consequences
, but it is certain that having been consecrated in this way it must for ever be a very
sacred spot and from it spiritual power must radiate all over India.

What Sadhu arunachala has openly confessed-"I do not pretend myself to understand why he did it or what
will be the consequences"
is indeed a food for thought for all of us.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2012, 03:27:57 PM »
Subramanian,
I think Jyoti has got some Sakti Ma as her ishta devata...I am sure an esoteric broadening of the truth that all womenfolk even cows are only Sakti Ma would not have definitely satisfied her...

:)
I do not think anyone can be sure as all that!Here are some of the posts of Jyothi(he or she!it does not matter):

"I have no difficulty worshipping Arunachala, but I want to address Arunachala as mother".

"Ramakrishna Paramahamsa thought that Brahman and Shakti are the same.Is this true?"

But did not Bhagavan perform Sri Chakra puja?And Sri Chakra is the yantra of goddess Lalita Tripurasundari.

It is not as if anyone who has the Divine Mother as Ishta devata may have any difficulty in seeing all forms as that of the Ishta.As Sri Aurobindo,in the wonderful chapter 'Four Aids' in his Synthesis of Yoga' beautifully brings out:
By the Ishta Devata, the chosen deity, is meant, -- not some inferior Power, but a name and form of the transcendent and universal Godhead.
One may call it 'Father' or 'Mother' or 'Friend' -the key is to establish a relationship with God and in due course this relationship includes everything and becomes all embracing.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Anyway let Jyoti post what she or he had in mind on this Sakti Ma topic.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »
Dear Ravi.N,

Thank you very much for this story.  :)
I also remeber that one day Bhagavan skiped his meal before going to Arunachala.
But when he was on his way, he meet 7 women who were providing him with food.
They said tey came on the command of Unnamulai Amman.
When I read this story, I thought that these women must have been the 7 Matrikas...

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

The biographers say that when Sri Bhagavan went to Meenakshi Temple, He spent time mostly with the idols of
63 Saints and prayed to God that He should have bhakti like those saints.

For your satisfaction, when He was still younger, in Tiruchuzhi, when someone in the house shouted at Him for some
mistake, He went to Sri Bhoomi Natha Swami Temple and stayed inside the sanctum of Sahayavalli Amman, the goddess
of the temple and remained for quite a good time, to remove His misery. The misery left and He experienced indescribable
happiness within.

One of the 108 Holy Names of Sri Bhagavan says:

SahayAmba sahAyavathe Namah |

Salutations to the One who received the help of Sahayamba |

Arunachala Siva.     
Didn't Bhagavan also live in a temple of Periamman for some time because of an epidemic?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 02:58:15 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Sri Bhagavan stayed in a temple called Pachiamman Temple (this temple is now called Draupadi Amman Temple)
for some time when there was acute water shortage in the Hill. At that time, Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni and
Viswanatha Swami and a few others were staying with Him. He was there for about 6 months and returned to
the Hill when monsoon came and water position improved. Pachaiamman is a goddess and one can even today go
and pray to her. She is now called Draupadi Amman. This temple is about 1.5 kms from the present Asramam on the
Chengam Road itself on the foot hills. No need to climb  the Hill.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 06:19:53 AM »
Jyoti/Friends,
Here is an excerpt from The Human gospel of Ramana Maharshi:
After the teenage Ramana came from Madurai to Tiruvannamalai, Bhagavan was in a state of unbroken natural Samadhi. While he was absorbed thus in Pathala linga, a dark, dank, underground niche deep inside the Tiruvannamalai temple, his body was feasted on by insects and vermin while he himself remained without food or care. Gracefully, the Divine Mother sent Ratnammal, a young dancer who was looked down upon by society. One day, Ratnammal saw some urchins throwing stones into the cave. She went inside and saw a dim figure sitting with a faint halo surrounding it. Feeling concerned as to how this ascetic could sustain himself, she brought food and fresh clothes, and left them at the entrance of the cave. Bhagavan, though, was lost in Samadhi, and her offerings remained untouched.
Later, Seshadri Swami discovered Bhagavan, and his body was taken out. Seshadri Swami instructed the temple priest to give milk to Bhagavan. This priest brought milk, not from the Arunachaleshwara shrine, but from Mother Apitakuchalambal‘s shrine in the Tiruvannamalai temple. This milk poured on Mother‘s idol, with turmeric, soap nut powder, and ghee was the first Prasad Mother gave him. Bhagavan was not even outwardly conscious; he was in deep Samadhi, so the priest opened his mouth and poured ―Mother‘s milk,‖ the first food that sustains. When Bhagavan
resumed bodily consciousness, he stayed under an illupai tree in the premises, rarely coming into outward consciousness.
Once, when Ratnammal was about to get ready for a dance performance, she noticed Bhagavan seated there. Turning to her mother she said, ―I will not eat until we have served this ascetic some food.‖ They tried to arouse Bhagavan, but in vain. So they opened his mouth and put food in. Sometimes he would swallow it. At other times, the food would remain unswallowed, and they would clean it up the next day. Bhagavan later on said, ―This is the Universal Mother represented by Ratnammal.‖ Bhagavan once told Nagamma, ―Ratnammal was pure.‖ To my knowledge, Bhagavan has never used such a description for anyone but Ratnammal. He explained that this was not a moral or physical purity he referred to, but to the fact that even in those days, she had the capacity to recognize the divine before her. The Universal Mother was sustaining him. When Bhagavan was to be moved from the temple to Gurumurtam, he pleaded with Ratnammal, ―You need not come there, it is too far.‖ She agreed and obeyed.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »
Dear i,

on some occasion, when some such concerned devotees came the following day to again feed the boy Saint, and as usual when they opened his mouth, so as to feed him, they found the milk still in his mouth, he was thus, that much in Nishta.

(recollection from Arunachala's Ramana)

Prostrations to Bhagava
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 10:17:35 AM »
Dear Ravi N.

Thank you, thank you very much for telling me these things.  :)