Author Topic: The sage of Kanchi Maha Periava and Raman Maharishi  (Read 19223 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
The sage of Kanchi Maha Periava and Raman Maharishi
« on: May 23, 2012, 10:22:24 AM »
I would like to  hear the correspondences that took place between our beloved Ramana Maharishi and India's one of the most charming and active Divinity Incarnated jnani --  the Sage of Kanchi Maha Periayava.

Both sparkling Suns were contemporary sages and seems many interesting interactions,  opinions and views were exchanged indirectly between the two.

I need not tell this --  the episodes themselves may have differing views --  so please post with absolute neutral outlook so that those devotees who never heard of these dialogues will get benefitted in a postivie manner by this thread.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: The sage of Kanchi Maha Periava and Raman Maharishi
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

1. Sri Bhagavan and Kanch Maha Periyava have not met each other!  In later years, when Kanchi Maha Periyava had come to
Tiruvannamalai, a meeting was arranged between both in Palakottu, but it did not come through!  (Ra. Ganapati)

2. Kanchi Mahaperiyava had directed many devotees who were interested in Jnana Marga to Sri Bhagavan. Maha Periyava insisted
Paul Brunton to go and have darshan of Sri Bhagavan. So also in the case of Annamalai Swami who met Maha Periyava first and
he was directed to Sri Bhagavan. Later when mother of Kanakammal was anxious that her daughter was eager to live in Tiruvannamalai and be in the presence of Sri Bhagavan and sought opinion from Kanchi Mahaperiyava, he said: What is there, if it is here or there?
Both are same.  Smt. Kanakammal was also a devotee of Maha Periyava and Maha Periyava asked Kanakammal: Ekanta Vasamo?
(Are you going to live alone?) Smt. K said 'Yes.' Swayam pakamo? Are you going to cook your food yourself? Smt. K said: Yes.
Atma vicharamo? Are you going to do atma vicharam? Smt. K said; Yes. Maha Periyava then approved her step and blessed her!

3. Kanchi Mahaperiyava was talking about the greatness of Karma Marga when he toured Tiruvannamalai. When devotees came
back after attending his discourses to Sri Bhagavan and asked His views, Sri Bhagavan said: If I had been in his position, I would
have done the same thing, and supported Periyava's views. Because Periyava was a Matadidpadi and he was addressing mostly
householders and in such a situation, he had to only describe the greatness of karma marga.

4. David Godman used to say: Mahaperiyava was the champion of Dharma and Sri Bhagavan was a champion of Jnana Vichara.

5. Maha Periyava has said that Sri Ramana was an avatara. He came as Kumarila Bhatta first (Karma Yogi), then as Tiru Jnana
Sambandha (bhakti marga) and then as Sri Ramana (Jnana marga). He has specifically said that Sri Sankara in his Soundarya Lahari
mentions only about Tiru Jnana Sambandha in Verse 75,

6. In later years there was one story that was going round. It appears that Maha Periyava is said to have said: Why am I not able to kill
my mind, like Sri Ramana? Sri Bhagavan when He suffered incurable cancer, prayed to Maha Periyava: Oh, the great one, please cure
my cancer!  Maha Periyava when asked, said: Both the statements are totally false, pethal, blabbering, uLaral, again saying something
not sensible.  This 'story' has been explained by Sri Ra. Ganapati in his article.

7. Sri Ra. Ganapati, an astute bachelor, who passed away recently, has written a two volume book, Sri Ramana MaNam. He was
a devotee of both Sri Bhagavan and Maha Periyava. He has also written books on Satya Sai Baba and Sri Ramakrishna and Sri
Vivekananda. His seven volume book on Maha Periyava's teachings, Deivathin Kural is a great treasure.   

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Once when Maha Periyava was visiting Tiruvannamalai, he came for street darshan (i.e walking through all streets so that
people who could not meet him in his camp place could meet him) and was walking via Chengam Road. When he came in front
of the Asramam, devotees from inside came out with poorna kumbham - ie. coconuts, fruits and flowers - for paying respect to
Maha Periyava.  Maha Periyava stood for more than one minute looking into the Asramam.   

Back in the Old Hall, only Suri Nagamma was sitting. Sri Bhagavan asked her: Why, Nagamma, have you not gone to see him?

Suri Nagamma said: He will not see widows who are still having tresses of hair. That is why I did not go.

Sri Bhagavan said: Oho, adhuvum sarithAn.... Oho, that is also correct.

Arunachala Siva.   

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 10:29:40 AM »
Once when Maha Periyava was visiting Tiruvannamalai, he came for street darshan (i.e walking through all streets so that
people who could not meet him in his camp place could meet him) and was walking via Chengam Road. When he came in front
of the Asramam, devotees from inside came out with poorna kumbham - ie. coconuts, fruits and flowers - for paying respect to
Maha Periyava.  Maha Periyava stood for more than one minute looking into the Asramam.   

Back in the Old Hall, only Suri Nagamma was sitting. Sri Bhagavan asked her: Why, Nagamma, have you not gone to see him?

Suri Nagamma said: He will not see widows who are still having tresses of hair. That is why I did not go.

Sri Bhagavan said: Oho, adhuvum sarithAn.... Oho, that is also correct.

Arunachala Siva.

Amazing points .  Thank you very much Subramanian Sir.

Nagaraj ,   Ravi and others -- I am sure you have much to contribute and add to on this topic --  please come out.

Ravi can also share his direct experiences with Kanchi swami.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Dear i,

you may be interested to go through this link:

http://www.kamakoti.org/souv/5-58.html

The Maha-Svami and The Maharishi by Ra. Ganapati

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:47:11 PM »
4. David Godman used to say: Mahaperiyava was the champion of Dharma and Sri Bhagavan was a champion of Jnana Vichara.

This sums up the essence of these 2 great Saints . Both of them had their respective paths and stayed true to that path till the end .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 01:14:37 PM »
It was Kanchi Maha  Periva who directed Paul Brunton to Bhagwan Ramana Maharashi as a person who was a living proof of the higher Yoga i.e Maha Yoga and then the rest is History . Many people say that Paul Brunton brought our Bhagwan Ramana to the outside world through his book "A search in secret India ".It is true, but the root cause of the same was Kanchi Maha Periva .

Now how did Kanchi Maha Periva knew about this without even meeting Bhagwan Ramana to certify him as the living proof of Higher Yoga  ? I do not have an answer for this .Might be that is why  he is called as Maha Periva .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 02:17:38 PM »
Dear atmavichar100 and others,

Once Kanakamma and her mother went to see Mahaswami. Kanakamma's mother was not very eager to send her daughter
to Tiruvannamalai. So she slowly explained it to Mahaswami. Then Mahaswami asked Smt. Kanakammal: Ekanta vasamo?
Are you going to stay alone? Kanakamma said: Yes. Mahaswami continued: Swayam pagamo? Are you going to cook food
for yourself? Kanakamma said: Yes. Then Mahaswami asked: Atma vicharamo? Kanakamma said: Yes.

Mahaswami smiled and said: You may definitely go to Tiruvannamalai. What is the difference between 'here' and 'there'?
All are the same.

Arunachala Siva.