Author Topic: Sandhyavandanam - Bhagavan  (Read 3202 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Sandhyavandanam - Bhagavan
« on: May 21, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
......As soon as i neared him he smiled a welcome and asked me if i had performed my 'madhyannikam' (a daily ritual performed by brahmins in the afternoon). i gave a negative reply. He said "Go and perform it and we shall sit down for breakfast.".......

Arunachalas Ramana Vol 1, TKS Sundaresa Iyer Part II

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Re: Sandhyavandanam - Bhagavan
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 01:19:13 PM »
Interesting note. Just curious - Did Bhagawan used to perform Trikala Sandhyavandanam?

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
Dear sanjaya_ganesh,

Sri Bhagavan was an ati-varnasrami, beyond four categories of asramas. Even Sannyasis should not perform sandhya vandhanam.
So Sri Bhagavan as a Sannyasi and ati varnasrami did not perform any sandhyavandhanam. He had left His sacred thread after
He came out the Big Temple and had a tonsure, on Sept. 1, 1896.

But He very much insisted on all such observances with devotees, depending on their position. In the olden days, even Pillais
(Saivites) used to have tuft of hair.  Once M. Sivaprakasam Pillai came with tonsured head. Sri Bhagavan did not like it. He said:
Do not do this; hereafter you should have tuft of hair. Pillai says this in his poem: Acharam videl anartham Ahum enRAn... do not
leave the religious observances, it will be ruination for you......

But with Muruganar, since He knew that he is already a sannyasi with internal renunciation,  after his (Muruganar's)
mother's death,  when he came to the Asramam after rituals, Sri Bhagavan found that there was no sacred thread on him.
He said laughingly: O athuvom pochaa.. O even that is gone!

Once He chided Kavyakanta's son Mahadevan, when he came with a long hair like Thyagaraja Bhagavatar (a cine artist of olden
days). He said: Are you not Nayana's son? How come you are like this? Go  and have tuft of hair and come!  Mahadevan went
immediately and converted his long hairs as tuft and came back and prostrated.

Arunachala Siva.       

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:34:02 AM »
Dear i,

it is not known, if Sri Bhagavan as Venkataraman ever performed Sandhyavandanam. but the family had Panchayatann Puja, which the family worshiped with great fervor everyday, atleast till Sri Sundaram Iyer was alive, we all know that brothers were separated thereafter an sent to different relatives houses, Mother Azhagammal went to Mana Maduai. The family was greatly traditional and highly orthodox. The records affirm that the family members were extremely pious. Sri Sundaram Iyer had one half of his house exclusively built for visitors, and it is said that even robbers would just leave their house alone out of loyalty towards them.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:35:38 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Since Sundaram Iyer was a tough karma yogi, and as his son,  in the early years of His life, Sri Bhagavan should have performed sandhya vandhanam. But there is no reference to it in any of Sri Bhagavan's books.

Arunachala Siva. 

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:21:45 PM »
I havent come across any info on poonal ceremony being conducted for bhagavan or his brothers. Bhagavan was hardly 11 i think when his father passed away. For sure as mentioned above, the family was highly religious, pious and extremely refined in brahmanical ceremonies. Also, his mother azhagammal used to recite the dakshinamurthy stotram while taking her bath. I had been to tiruchuzhi and details of bhagavan's ancestors is still available there from the priests and other neighbours living now as has been passed down by their ancestors..

Nagaraj, excellent post as it reaffirms bhagavan's approval of our customs and traditions. The other day, i was watching the srigeri mahaguru's discourse on daily life and he said that it is formost in brahmanical dharma to follow as rules and sampradayams entirely. He said that people working in IT and other fields always complain about the lack of time but if they DO take time out to watch movies, drink coffee in the morning or eat lunch in the afternoon why cant they take 5 mins out of their time to do a sandhi?!

I am saying this much, but sad to note that these are not followed even in my own house....:)

Ramanarpamastu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:38:01 PM »
Dear SLakshmi,

Sri Bhagavan and also His brothers had sacred thread ceremonies and they might have also performed Sandhya Vandhanam/
The very fact He removed the Sutram in Tiruvannamalai, after going into the temple and hugging Arunachaleswara and while
coming out this had  happened. Though He was an ati varnasrami, when a barber wanted to tonsure Him, He also agreed.
Then He did not want to take bath. Rains unexpectedly poured and He had snAnam too.

IRai aruL cheluthum vazhikke sel:

Go by the directions of god's grace, He used to say. This was what happened on the morning of Sept, 1, 1896.

Arunachala Siva.