Author Topic: What is the best Sadhana?  (Read 5094 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
What is the best Sadhana?
« on: May 19, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
Friends

Need your inputs on advicing a close relative of mine.

What is the best possible Sadhana advice that can be given to someone who is buried in prarabdha karma over the top? The person is fairly well read on Sri Bhagawan' s works. When the person does not even have a breathing time free from serving his parents and dear ones suffering from various lifelong issues (with no cure in sight) - what advice can be best given to progress in Sadhana and gain eternal peace of mind? Seeing the heap of prarabdha karma he is in - I am clueless myself - hence seeking your expert advice.

Many thanks
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: What is the best Sadhana?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:49:42 AM »
Dear sanjaya-ganesh,

The best course for him is to constantly remember Sri Bhagavan's name and do his duty towards parents and attend to
other works in the world.  Things will resolve themselves.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 10:11:22 AM »
Dear i,

my discernment, is that, when the mind takes over a person substantially, doing girivalam is what my heart says, as you say, he is well read on Bhagavan's workd . what sadhana one has to do, ought to come from within.

The rest, the Hridayam would take care, Arunachala would take care.

Here are some tips, quick reckoner:

Our scriptures give several ways by which we can nourish our bodies so that we can steady and focus more on the Self. Some personally experienced ways are as follows -

• Regular Good habits such as walking, excercising
  • Regular practice of Yogasanas or atleast practice of basic Praanayama
  • Regular chanting of shlokas/mantras, doing Japa - The vibrations of Shlokas and Mantras give us 'ojas' or energy, 'shakti' energy by which our cells get energy through vibration currents. Just by listening attentively to Vedas properly chanted with Swaras, one gets nourished and can also feel this.
  • Avoiding bad company. Energy currents of people are the worst and the topmost in this list that affects. Being with negatively charged people constantly our energies are sucked and we feel depressed and get headaches. Hence we must develop our defenses by charging ourselves spiritually. The above mentioned ways are the best along with having the company of Good people with good intentions who are not depressed themselves. When we are positive then we can be a dynamo for these negative people but not before we are strong ourselves
  • By taking guided medical supplements - Is a very hard truth but is the fact of the days of our times.
  • Visiting places of extreme calmness and powerfully charged places such as temples, churches and Masjids.
  • Apart from prostrating to God in our Puja Room, doing Namaskarams to respected elders gives us massive energy nourishments.
  • Best instant short yoga practice is Surya Namaskara
  • Standing below the rising Sun and enjoy Sun bathing. The atmosphere is filled with Ozone air.
  • Being/spending time with Plants and trees. We can have silent satsang even with Plants and Tress too. Look at a beautiful flower and silently converse with it. Listen to the air and the leaves play in joy
  • If you love pets, spend time with your pets
  • Kids are best and very strong in relieving us from our negativity. Playing with kids is another great way.
  • Sometimes we have to recognize that too much intellectual dabbling on spirituality leads to very High Level of negativity. Hence we have to always begin with short and sweet practices of doing Meditation for 10 minutes everyday and gradually increase the time. we have to pass all 10 standards of education before we can join college.
  • Letting go of things, forgiving people for their mistakes is very powerful and results are immediate too. But letting go and forgiving should be completely pure from the heart and not just by word.
  • and Off course looking at the graceful eyes of Bhagavan. Just look at his portrait for as long as He intends you to. He is ever nourishing. He is verily Parvati Devi who gave milk to Jnana Sambandhar.
  • Watch your breath (don't do Pranayama) just watching ones breath helps in neutralizing our breath pattern and corrects the imbalances in our body.
  • Surrender. Don't think too much. Nothing is in our hands. In times of despair either physically or mentally, remember these words of Bhagavan says, "The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their prarabdhakarma (destiny to be worked out in this life, resulting from the balance-sheet of actions in past lives). Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent."
  • And be aware that the headache is temporary, it shall pass, let it happen, just see and see it pass too. You are the eternal witness and not the witnessed pain.
  • Breath out numerous number of Sigh loudly. Breath our Heavy by letting go. When you do so, you will breath out with a sound such as "Uh..." It helps.
  • Be silent and in calm locations. move out of the vicinity of a TV and bad people.
  • We have to learn to love ourselves. Most of us so self deprived of ourselves with very lowe Self esteem. We should accept ourselves exactly the way we are.
  • letting go of our past and memories and focusing in the present
  • Seeking the guidance of a wise person when we know we dont have a solution for some situation
  • Homams recharge us our house and our people completely from negativity. Popolar Homas such as Ganapathy Homams can bring change with amazing results
  • Doing Giri Pradakshinam at Arunachala is great remedy

Hope these helps. This is what I usually try and practice to do.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »
Thanks. Nagaraj garu - Very very nice summary. I am going to take a print of this and hand over to him. Though many of us know some of these here and there - very nice summary put by you, sir. Appreciate your time to type these in...

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Dear Sanjaya and others. Here are 20 important spiritual Instructions according to Svami Sivananda. Basically they are similar to what Sri Nagaraj has posted. They are mixture of the most important spiritual sadhanas of the four main Yogas.

20 Important Spiritual Instructions by Sri Svami Sivananda

These twenty instructions contain the very essence of all Yoga Sadhana, Karma, Bhakti, Jnana and Yoga will all come to one who follows them whole-heartedly. They are the unfailing keys to quick and effective development and culture of the physical, mental, moral and spiritual self of man.

1. BRAHMAMUHURTA Get up at 4 a.m. daily. This is Brahmamuhurta which is extremely favourable for Sadhana. Do all your morning spiritual Sadhana during this period from 4 a.m. to 6:30 or 7 a.m. Such Sadhana gives quick and maximum progress.

2. ASANA Sit on Padmasana (lotus pose), Siddhasana (adept's pose) or Sukhasana (any pose you like) for your Japa and meditation for half an hour, facing east or north. Increase the period gradually to three hours. Practice Sirshasana (headstand) and Sarvangasana (shoulderstand) for maintenance of health and Brahmacharya. Take light physical exercises as walking, etc., regularly. Do twenty rounds of easy, comfortable Pranayama (breathing exercises). Do not strain yourself while doing Pranayama.

3. JAPA You can repeat any Mantra (sacred syllable), such as pure Om or Om Namo Narayanaya, Sri Ram, Sita Ram, Sri Ram Jaya Ram Jaya Jaya Ram, Om Namah Sivaya, Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya, Om Saravanabhavaya Namah, Hari Om, or Gayatri (a sacred Vedic Mantra), according to your taste or inclination, from 108 times to 21,600 times daily. Devotees of Christ may repeat the name Jesus or Hail Mary, Mother of Jesus. Parsis, Sikhs and Muslims may select a name or Mantra from the Zend Avesta, Granth Sahib or Koran respectively.

4. DIETETIC DISCIPLINE Take Sattvic food. Give up chillies, tamarind, garlic, onion, sour articles, oil, mustard (синап), asafetida (вид индийска подправка). Observe moderation in diet (Mitahara). Do not overload the stomach. Give up those things which the mind likes best for a fortnight once or twice in a year. Eat simple food. Milk and fruits help concentration. Take food as medicine to keep the life going. Eating for enjoyment is a sin. Give up salt and sugar for a week or a fortnight. You must be able to live on rice, dhal and bread without any pickle. Do not ask for extra salt for dhal, and sugar for tea, coffee and milk. People taking non-vegetaraian diet should try their best to gradually give up flesh-eating as completely as possible. They will be immensely benefited.

5. MEDITATION Have a separate meditation room under lock and key. If this is not possible then a corner of the room should be set apart with a small cloth screen or curtain drawn across. Keep the room spotlessly clean.

6. SVADHYAYA Study systematically the Gita, Ramayana, Bhagavatam, Vishnu-Sahasranama, Lalita-Sahasranama, Adityahridaya, Upanishads, Yoga Vasishta, Bible, Imitation of Christ, Zend Avesta, Quran, the Tripitakas, the Granth Sahib and other religious books from half an hour to one hour daily, and have Suddha Vichara (pure thoughts).

7. ELEVATE THE MIND Get by heart some prayer – Slokas (prayer verses), Stotras (hymns) and repeat them as soon as you sit in the Asana before starting Japa or meditation. This will elevate the mind quickly.

8. BRAHMACHARYA Preserve the vital force (Veerya (seminal energy)) very, very carefully. Veerya is God in motion or manifestation (Vibhuti). Veerya is all power. Veerya is all money. Veerya is the essence of life, thought and intelligence. This instruction is not for bachelors only. Householders also must follow it as far as possible. They must be extremely moderate in their marital connections with their spouse. This is very important.

9. CHARITY Do charity regularly, every month, or even daily according to your means. Never fail in this item. If necessary forego some personal wants but keep up this charity regularly.

10. HAVE SATSANG Give up bad company, smoking, meat and alcoholic liquors entirely. Have constant Satsang (association with holy people). Do not develop any evil habits. Deliberately exert to develop positive virtuous qualities.

11. FAST Fast on Ekadasi (11th day of the Hindu lunar fortnight) or live on milk and fruits only. Christians must fast on alternate Sundays, Muslims on alternate Fridays, and Parsis on a suitable day every fortnight.

12. JAPA MALA Have a Japa Mala (rosary) around your neck or in your pocket or underneath your pillow at night. This will remind you of God. Twirl the beads during your leisure. You should repeat the Name at all times, whatever task you may be engaged in.

13. OBSERVE MOUNA Observe Mouna (vow of silence) for a couple of hours daily. Do not make gestures and inarticulate noises during the period of silence.

14. DISCIPLINE OF SPEECH Speak the truth at all cost. Speak a little. Speak sweetly. Always utter encouraging words. Never condemn, criticize or discourage. Do not raise your voice and shout at little children or subordinates.

15. BE CONTENT Reduce your wants. If you have four shirts, reduce the number to three or two. Lead a happy, contented life. Avoid unnecessary worry. Be mentally detached. Have plain living and high thinking. Think of those who do not possess even one-tenth of what you have. Share with others.

16. PRACTICE LOVE Never hurt anybody. Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah (Non-injury is the highest virtue). Control anger by love, Kshama (forgiveness) and Daya (compassion). Serve the sick and the poor with love and affection. This is service of God.

17. BE SELF RELIANT Do not depend upon servants. Self-reliance is the highest of all virtues.

18. HAVE SELF-ANALYSIS Think of the mistakes you have committed during the course of the day, just before retiring to bed (self-analysis). Keep a daily spiritual diary and self-correction register as Benjamin Franklin did. Maintain a daily routine and resolve-form. Do not brood over past mistakes.

19. DO YOUR DUTY Remember that death is awaiting you at every moment. Never fail to fulfil your duties. Have pure conduct (Sadachara).

20. REMEMBER GOD Think of God as soon as you wake up and just before you go to sleep, and at all other times whether engaged in any work or not. Repeat His Name always. Surrender yourself completely to God (Saranagati). This is the essence of all spiritual Sadhana. It will lead you to liberation. All these spiritual canons must be rigidly observed. You must not give any leniency to the mind.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 11:00:08 AM »
Friends

Need your inputs on advicing a close relative of mine.

What is the best possible Sadhana advice that can be given to someone who is buried in prarabdha karma over the top? The person is fairly well read on Sri Bhagawan' s works. When the person does not even have a breathing time free from serving his parents and dear ones suffering from various lifelong issues (with no cure in sight) - what advice can be best given to progress in Sadhana and gain eternal peace of mind? Seeing the heap of prarabdha karma he is in - I am clueless myself - hence seeking your expert advice.

Many thanks
Sanjay

The current state of affairs and workings of the Ishwara -- the Cosmic God is indeed really incomprehensible.  There is a spiritual scarcity for a true livng Guru who is willing to take the burden of many souls.

One way ,  God has increased material comforts but in another aspect,  though he has given enough food to eat and carry on one's sadhana,  the personal guidance has been withdrawn.  We all depend on past books  ,  Q & A of various devotees to the then existing various jnanis.  Those advices were  all fine tuned.  They cannot be applied to a individual.

For now there is no scope,  situation is not that conductive for the  birth of a great jnani.  As millions and millions like you and me aspire for,  may be in another 20 years a great brahma jnani like Maharishi Ramana may appear.  Until then we have to take a past Guru and be dedicated to him.

Believe me--  there is nothign equivalent to meeting a living Jnani and getting his direct advice --  it is pratyaksham,  his words come from the direct Truth and has the full authority to burn away our karmas. 

If one is lucky,  one can get Saradamma and Lakshmana Swamy's grace --  but it is rarest of the rare event. 

Whatever we now do in name of sadhana are just preparations to earn enough merit --  so that in one another life we can get the right to sit before a jnanai.

So for your friend,  only a living jnani can answer satisfactorily seeing the Truth of the situation as it is.  All others like me will quote only from books.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:25 AM »
I remember Ramana Bhagawan telling someone who came with all such queries and asking Bhagawan : "When will I get to leave everything and sit at your feet". Bhagawan smiled and said : "Aattam oyattam, oye". Meaning "Let the drama / dance finish" :)

Others here may know the exact details of this incident. But I remembered that story when I heard my friend out.

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:12 AM »
Dear Krishnan and sanjya_ganesh,

I think the best form of sadhana is to meditate on Guru's form, which is available in photographs and portraits.  One can pray
to God's forms but there are several gods in Hinduism and their forms are only hearsay. We have not seen them, at least
no one has seen these gods in recent times. Whereas for a Guru, if it is Sri Bhagavan or Seshadri Swamigal, photographs are
available. I do not know whether photos are available for Saradamma and Lakshmana Swami. 

Tayumanavar and Pattinathar prayed only to their Gurus. They found Sivam in gurus. Sri Bhagavan prayed to Arunachala as
His Guru. He also said Atma can be one's own guru. But to meditate on formless Atma is more difficult.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:17 AM »
Dear i,

I remember Ramana Bhagawan telling someone who came with all such queries and asking Bhagawan : "When will I get to leave everything and sit at your feet". Bhagawan smiled and said : "Aattam oyattam, oye". Meaning "Let the drama / dance finish" :)

Others here may know the exact details of this incident. But I remembered that story when I heard my friend out.

That person is actually, TK Sundaresa Iyer, he was being transfered from place to place, and he used to miss Bhagavan so much, he some how never used to get an opportunity to visit Bhagavan and as a result he used to get vexed up with his life, one day he spoke to Bhagavan what he had in his mind and Bhagavan replied "Aattam Kalayatum, Piragu"

The current state of affairs and workings of the Ishwara -- the Cosmic God is indeed really incomprehensible.  There is a spiritual scarcity for a true livng Guru who is willing to take the burden of many souls.

One way ,  God has increased material comforts but in another aspect,  though he has given enough food to eat and carry on one's sadhana,  the personal guidance has been withdrawn.  We all depend on past books  ,  Q & A of various devotees to the then existing various jnanis.  Those advices were  all fine tuned.  They cannot be applied to a individual.

For now there is no scope,  situation is not that conductive for the  birth of a great jnani.  As millions and millions like you and me aspire for,  may be in another 20 years a great brahma jnani like Maharishi Ramana may appear.  Until then we have to take a past Guru and be dedicated to him.

Believe me--  there is nothign equivalent to meeting a living Jnani and getting his direct advice --  it is pratyaksham,  his words come from the direct Truth and has the full authority to burn away our karmas. 

If one is lucky,  one can get Saradamma and Lakshmana Swamy's grace --  but it is rarest of the rare event. 

Whatever we now do in name of sadhana are just preparations to earn enough merit --  so that in one another life we can get the right to sit before a jnanai.

So for your friend,  only a living jnani can answer satisfactorily seeing the Truth of the situation as it is.  All others like me will quote only from books.

All others like me will quote only from books.

Dear i,

Books are Shastras, Shrutis, the Vedas, the Scriptures are the living Guru. The form that we see of a liberated Guru is also mortal, therefore the words of Shrutis are Himself. Which is why in Shaiva Siddhanta, when any jnani physically dies, they keep a Siva Linga in his Samadhi, signifying True Guru as Formless.

One should first have faith on ones Scriptures, The Vedas. Only then, next, can one even be ready to find his Guru.

There is absolutely no question of luck in Adhyaatmika Spirituality. When the Disciple is truly ready, he finds his Guru.

Therefore, it is not wisdom to demean the Dharma Shastras as mere quoting from books.

Our ancestors, since time immemorial have been having doubtless and absolute complete faith in the Dharma Shastras.

Just contemplate for a moment, the devotees that we know of Sri Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishnar, Shirdi Sai Baba are only very few, there were thousands of others during his times, who could never even seen them and yet have had completeness and have received guidances through various different ways.

Faith is Supreme. We should not limit the faith by waiting for a physical formed Guru to appear from whom we can receive guidance. One who has faith feels no scarcity for True Guru. One who has faith, the scope is huge, vast, unlimited, the grace of Guru is ever felt.

As the Lord says in Gita, Shraddhavaan Lbhate Jnanam, He who has faith attains Jnana.

More over, ones faith ought to be strong enough for one to be optimistic and not pessimistic.

There is nothing wrong with the world, the world is perfect, afterall, can the creation of God be wrong in any way? Only we ought to change our outlook.

Without faith, the wisdom lying dormant will not blossom, no matter how much we may try!

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:35:48 AM »
I am not quite sure. But it is Rangan who was Sri Bhagavan's school mate. He told Him: I have innumerable sufferings. Let me
come and stay with you. Sri Bhagavan after permitting him to stay for some days said: You go to Madurai back. Attam Oynthapin
varlAm...You can go now. You can come when all your worldly games become over.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:55:25 AM »
Dear Subramanian sir - Yes. May be Rangan. I did not read this anywhere in fact. Heard it in Nochur's satsang once. Thanks / Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »
Dear sanjya_ganesh,

The story is like this. Rangan told Sri Bhagavan: Bhagavan! This place is wonderful. Your company gives me immense peace.
I would like to stay with you for ever.

Sri Bhagavan said: Ranga, this Hill will appear quite nice only when seen from far off. If you come closer you will find
that it would be different. You can go to Madurai and then come back when the game is over......

Rangan in fact returned to Madurai and fortunately with Sri Bhagavan's grace, he got a job of commission agent for lorry
bookings and earned quite a good money, conducted his daughters' marriages and lived a peaceful life, having darshan of
Sri Bhagavan  once a while.

(based on Nochur's discourse only)

Arunachala Siva.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:30 AM »
tell him to keep doing whatever he is doing .
when he is dissatisfied enough , he will stop .
 :)
simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
I do not know whether photos are available for Saradamma and Lakshmana Swami. 

Dear Sir,

Photos are available in adequate numbers for both Sri Lakshmana Swami and Mathru Sri Sarada at the website www.mathrusrisarada.org

A book is also available on their life and teachings for purchase privately from David Godman.

Every year with new year greetings,   a  new photo is released at their website.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:19:02 AM »
Dear Krishnan,

Thank you for the information.

Arunachala Siva.