Author Topic: 3 paths  (Read 4129 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
3 paths
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:12:24 AM »
As far as I know there are 3 paths around Arunachala:
- the outer path (where the 8 Lingams are placed)
- the inner path
- the inner inner path
Which of them did Bhagavan walk?
Is there any difference which path one walks for pradakshina?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: 3 paths
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 10:21:47 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

There is no difference among the three paths. Sri Bhagavan used to walk either by the present out-most path, (those days it
was full of sand and grovel and not laid with tar. He also sometimes used to walk through the middle path, which is called
kAttu pAthai, the jungle road. He used to meet very many villagers there and take the gruel offered by them. They were all
quite blessed. Some of them had come to the foot hill Asramam, the present one and used to have darshan of Him and also
share their difficulties and miseries in life.  The inner most path has been tried by a few including Sri Bhagavan very occasionally. 

Arunachala Siva. 

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:14:55 AM »
When people walk the outer path, do they give offerings to the 8 lingams?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:21:49 AM »
Dear i,

why not? Many of them offer their prayers during their circumambulation of Arunachala.

i came with the following discernment regarding the eight lingams around Arunachala some time back, i share it here again -

The eight lingams around Arunachala signifies the the 8 stages of our life. If you see the sequence of the Ashta Lingam, it begins with

Indra Lingam Which signifies your Indiriyas (Indra signifies our Indiriyas. Indra is Bhokta of our senses) first we satiate all our wordly desires, by using our Indiriyas in proper manner. Agni Lingam is the Fire, The fire of Knowledge - the wisdom that needs to be nurtured and be lit up through out our journey. Like this Kubera Lingam, Niruthi Lingam, Yama Lingam, Varuna Lingam and finally, Esanya Lingam is merging with the lord. I try and assimilate such essenses thorugh my girivalam. Like this, Bhagavan takes us closer and closer step by step. like this, when you try to seek the real essence of each lingam, it will lead you to its true light, discernment.

Adi Shankaracharya had written in one Arunachala Ashtottara praising Lord Shiva as Giri Pradakshina Priyaaya Namaha. He is pleased when a devotee does Giri Pradakshinam.

Most importantly, whatever agenda we may have, we may plan to do parayanam, sing, talk about Self, etc... finally after some distance, the mind becomes so quiet and focused that it does not think about anything else at all, be it Spiritual topic or otherwise. One always finishes the Girivalam in Silence.

What ever we do, we must try to discern the true purport of it, by constant Tapas, contemplation, discernment.

Prostrations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:49:43 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Nice to read the inner meaning of 8 lingams. I used to visit almost all the 8 lingams every time I used to visit Tiruvannamalai.
I am not able to walk the entire distance due to my knee problem. Particularly I like Nirudhi Lingam, Ner Annamalai and Isanya
Lingam. I never miss Isanya Math and see Isanya Jnana Desikar's samadhi. It is a Jiva samadhi maintained by Kovilur Math.
Very powerful shrine for meditation purposes. At Isnaya Lingam, I used to see some birds called nArai in Tamizh. The birds have
got their feet which are pink in color. Very rare variety of birds. One classical Tamizh poem mentions it as nArAi nArAi chengAl nArAi.....
O the nArai, with red legs!

My wife has gone for giri pradakshinam with friends and once with some Madurai devotees, who come to Tiruvannamalai once
in every year on September 1. Arunai Vijayam Day. She went with them by 8 pm and returned at 1 am. The Madurai devotees
accompanied her up to our room in Achalam guest house.   

Arunachala Siva.     

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 02:49:14 AM »
There is no difference among the three paths.
Isn't the outer path outside the 24 miles zone?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 10:29:30 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

The outer path is skirting the Asramam and is about 7 kms maximum on the northern side.  The other three sides are less than
this distance.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:57 AM »
I read here about the connection of the lingams with the planets and was surprised that Agni Lingam is connected with the moon.
Why is that so?
The moon is not a planet I would associate with fire, rather with water.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

Agni Lingam is connected only to Agni, God of Fire. Further the 8 Lingams are connected with various elements like air,
earth, etc., if not all elements. Surya Lingam is of course there. e.g. Kubera Lingam is connected to Kubera god of wealth.
Isanaya Lingam is simply connected to that direction, where Siva is said to be meditating. Nirudhi Lingam is connected to
Nirudhi who is causing epilepsy, madness, 'a state of infliction by ghosts' etc.,

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

The eight lingams are, as you proceed from Sri Ramanasramam for giri pradkashina:

1. Yama Lingam. (god of death)

2. Nirudhi Lingam. ( I have already explained, who is Nirudhi)

3. Surya Lingam

4. Varuna Lingam (the god of rains).

5. Vayu Lingam (the god of wind)

6. Chandra Lingam (yes. what you say is correct. Chandra Lingam (moon) is there)

7. Kubera Lingam. (god of wealth).

8. Agni Lingam.

As you can see, all planets are not there. Only Surya and Chandra are there.
Isanya Lingam which I had mentioned, is the Lingam established by Isanya Jana Desika, a Siddha and Jnani.
It is not among the eight lingams.

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 01:05:05 PM »
Dear All,

During normal days when ever I do pradakshina, I namaskaar all the lingas on the way. When coming to special occasions, I just do it from out side/entrance due to huge queue.

Here is my question.... Is there anything wrong if we ignore the lingas and do pradakshina? When the Holy hill it self is lord shiva (who is everything) and by doing pradakshina around him, there shouldn't be anything more isn't it?   

Note: The above question applies only for special occasions due to huge queues for darshan of lingas.

OM ARUNACHALESHWARAAYA NAMAHA!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »
Dear vinod,

There is nothing wrong.  Due to crowds or when you are tired and eager to complete girivalam, you can skip one or
all lingas. Arunachala is the embodiment of compassion. He does not get angry for any mistakes/ inadequacies for which
there are valid reasons.

You will be surprised to know. Other members know it. Due to my knee problem, I only do giri valam in a car. Just to
satisfy myself in between, I walk some steps with difficulty. But I visit most of the Lingas.

Arunachala Siva.   

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 07:19:24 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

I remember reading in some post where u have mentioned abt the knee problem and thought its just a temporary one but however I have to confess that the kind of assistance you have been providing(almost most of the posts I've read till now) to devotees in doing pradakshina, a bit credit also goes to u.

Again Thanks for answering my query, as this was haunting me from many years! when ever I do girivalam during special occasions.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 07:30:22 PM by vinod526 »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 07:37:49 PM »
Dear vinod,

The knee problem of mine is almost 7 years old. It is some serious ligament tear. Allopathic doctors say I have to
undergo some surgery, which I do not want. However, there is no further deterioration thanks to some Ayurveda
ointments and fluids, which keep me at least walking to the market etc.,

Arunachala Siva.

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 09:04:35 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Some thing to cheer that the problem is not getting worse and it is stable. Continue doing the great work in assisting us and your efforts will be rewarded in some or the other way.

Cheers!