Author Topic: What/Who God is?  (Read 1733 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
What/Who God is?
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
I open this topic because I observe that many people say God, talk about God, preach about God but are they talk about the same thing? I will try to mark the main understandings about God:

1. God is a Person.
  1.1. God is a particular Person - Krishna, Shiva, Brahma, Ganesha, Jesus, the Father, the Holy Spirit, Allah and so on.
  1.1. God is a Person Who appears as different Forms and different Names

2. God is Impersonal. God in this case is more close to the description of the Upanishads as Brahman. He has no Form and Name. He is the Essence, the Foundation of everything. When Upanishads talk about God "outside" us they use the word Brahman. When they talk about the Lord "within" they use the word Atman (The Self). But this description is for the mind. Actually Upanishads tell us the Brahman is not inside or outside but He is everything. But every Vedanta school have different understanding of what Brahman is. Some consider It as Saguna e.g. having qualities. Others accept It as Nirguna, e.g. whithout any qualities.

3. God is consciousness. God is not personal or impersonal. He is just the consciousness upon which all Universe apears. God is the Ocean and the world is just sum of the waves on It. This understanding is close to the Advaita Vedanta philosophy and its understanding of what Brahman and Atman IS. Buddha's understanding of the Supreme Lord is like that. That's why Lord Ramana has said that Buddha was not atheist. To be atheist means to be "anti-consciousness-tist".

When people say "I don't believe in God" what they mean? 1,2 or 3-th point I listed above? We try to put God in some boundaries and to patent Him, caging Him in some philosophy or religion. Our main problem is that we cannot go beyond our believes and the religious or philosophical system we are grown. 
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: What/Who God is?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 05:27:35 PM »
Dear ramana,

1. God is That which is within you, as an experience or as Chaitanya Sakti. God is impersonal. He is a mighty impersonality.

2. God that we 'see' outside with names and forms are only to push us inside to see the God within.  The purpose of gods with
names and forms are only to enable our search within, through devotion first and then with self inquiry. Iswara Darsanam is
only to guide you to attain the Swatma Darsanam.

3. If one says that he does not believe in God, we can answer: At least you believe in you, is it not? See what is that 'you'?
'There is no God outside in the mental concept. See who is seeing that god in mental plane. That you, is Reality within you.   

4. Then why are we not experiencing the Atma within?  Because of upadhis. When the adjuncts which all emanate from I-
thought is cleaned up, then the experience reveals itself.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 06:42:31 PM »
Dear ramana,

A question therefore arises: How come saints of Periya Puranam had darshan of Siva? How come saints of Panduranga in
Pandaripur had darshan of Panduranga?  In both cases, it is said that the darshan in front, results immediately in Chit
sakti prakasam, the effulgence of Self within. This happens only when one has ardent bhakti, almost dissolving the ego
in them.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 06:54:32 PM »
True, Sri Subramanianji. This is the reason why people must not judge others about their point of view. Can anyone of us deny their own Atma (God)? Confrontations arise when people start describing what God is. Christians would agree in many things with Hindus until you say the Name of God you have chosen (Krishna, Shiva or Ganesha). Then they will start arguing "Oh, no, you have mistaken. There is only One God is He is Jesus Christ, our Saviour. You have deluded yourself. The path you have chosen is wrong and is paved to hell." I have seen this mental attitude even among Hindus, even among so called advaitins. They say "If you don't follow the five Deities which our Founder Sri Shankara has prescribed to be followed (e.g. Vishnu and His Incarnations, Shiva, Shakti, Ganesha and Surya) then you cannot be liberated from the cycle of birth and death. So to talking about God is very slippery. That's why I understand why Lord Buddha didn't want to talk about God. If I ask Sri Shankaracharya "Can Lord Jesus or Allah give me liberation" would He answer me as many of His followers? I doubt it.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 07:16:33 PM »
Dear ramana,

The Kingdom of God is within you.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
Within us, Sri Subramanianji. We must not forget that you and I are now special people. Everyone is Temple of God! We always say that God is within us but apparently we don't feel that or just our belief is not strong enough. People alway looking for God in the sky or in the churches, temples, masjids and so on.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:17 PM »
Dear ramana,

Yes. You and I are really God or the Self but we don't 'experience' it because of ego. When ego is extinguished, we shall
experience the God or the Self within. So all Atma Vichara is not about Atma but investigate what is this ego (anatma) and
vanquish it.

Arunachala Siva.   

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
In this regard I want to quote something from Lord Ramana:

Your duty is to be, and not to be this or that. I Am That I Am sums up the whole truth; the method is summarized in Be Still.