Author Topic: unwavering devotion to only one Guru or only one path  (Read 2732 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
unwavering devotion to only one Guru or only one path
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »
I think all of us including me  here are visiting here and there,  writing about this or that link etc.

I think getting unwavering and unchanging devotion to only one Guru or only one sadhana method seems to be very rare.

For example,  somebody doing vichara may just need one photo of Bhagavan and then start vichara all through the day.  No other thing is required.

But we all buy many books,  CDs,  we need help of internet , forums , blogs etc. etc.

Truth is very plain it seems --  choose a Guru or God,  choose a method and just stick only and one & only to that alone.

But many of us are not doing that.

But we can console ourselves that instead of artificially trying that one and only path and then falling down to TV and Rock dance for relaxation,  it is better keep backup many ,  many saints and CDs for relaxation while Ramana Maharishee is our main base for sadhana.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: unwavering devotion to only one Guru or only one path
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »
reading about other saints,watching devotional movies,forums,blogs etc is one way to engage our mind only in devotional activities and not to deviate.

remember bhagavan also used to read newspapers,listen tyagaraja music,watched few devotional movies,wrote many hyms in praise of arunachala and for his mother's sake,translated few adi sankara works into tamil/telugu/malayalam language,talked to devotees and listened to their personal problems,helped his brother if required in management activities of the ashramam,cooked food,read few other devotional books like saint of tibet etc..

So all these above activities done by bhagavan does not mean that he is not doing self enquiry in that time but it is like actor doing his role knowing about his real nature all the time.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »

There are many ways for good sadhana, without depending on TV, cinemas in videos, music channels, and buying CDs
containing cinema songs.  One can browse many interesting articles in various spiritual webs like www.Shivam.org etc.,
In fact the Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi was also made avaialble to us by Ravi who had browsed that website.
It is a wonderful collation of information about Ramana devotees by Sri V, Ganesan. In fact, I have taken print out of the
entire 800+  pages by engaging an internet center. There are many many spiritual books to read. One can do all these
without getting bored in life and depending on pulp fiction, TV and cinema. On top of all, there is Graham Boyd's forum.

Arunachala Siva.         

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
thanks for letting us know regarding the book sir.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »
Dear prasnath,

The Human Gospel is not a printed book from Sri Ganesan. It is an e book, available if you access:
   www.chrob.org/reviews/2000/HumanGospelShaing

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 06:13:16 PM »
Subramanian garu,

some reason link you shared is not working for me.

anyways i have found this e-version of this book in below site.

http://www.thewizardllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Human-Gospel-Sharing-Western-Version2.pdf

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:27 AM »

There are many ways for good sadhana, without depending on TV, cinemas in videos, music channels, and buying CDs
containing cinema songs.  One can browse many interesting articles in various spiritual webs like www.Shivam.org etc.,
In fact the Human Gospel of Sri Ramana Maharshi was also made avaialble to us by Ravi who had browsed that website.
It is a wonderful collation of information about Ramana devotees by Sri V, Ganesan. In fact, I have taken print out of the
entire 800+  pages by engaging an internet center. There are many many spiritual books to read. One can do all these
without getting bored in life and depending on pulp fiction, TV and cinema. On top of all, there is Graham Boyd's forum.

Arunachala Siva.       

Dear Sir,

Thanks for sharing that wonderful Gospel Website.

But my point was entirely different: 

It is very good to engage in web resources and books of spiritual saints.

But what I meant is,  at one point of time,  we have to transcend even this sort of diversified attention and just focus on our sadhana like who am i,  or japa or meditation whatever may be,  just focus on our sadhana 24 hours a day without any external aid.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
Krishna

I agree with you on the last point 100%. I keep thinking about this all the time as well and modify my own approach. It is important we reach a state of being able to be at Shanthi and Sadhana mind without "external stimuli" or aids. However, it is a chicken and egg story, because you cannot reach that stage without the help of these aids and follow the "process" and "steps" to reach that stage.

For me, I had the habit of having tons of MP3 audio of Nochur Ji and many others and stotras and slokas all the time. And I needed these to initiate me into Shanthi when I am not. I consciously reduced the number of such audio stimuli I carry and slowly practicing my favorite mantra without any audio aid to help me reach the same state I would reach after listening to Nochur Ji for an hour. Repeating or rememebering "Hridaya Kuhara Madhye" or "Om Nama Shivaya" or "Arunachala Shiva" is now slowly becoming a habbit to take me to Shanthi state without having to go back and listen to a long satsang to reprogram the mind..

Salutations to Bhagawan

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
Dear Sir,

But what I meant is,  at one point of time,  we have to transcend even this sort of diversified attention and just focus on our sadhana like who am i,  or japa or meditation whatever may be,  just focus on our sadhana 24 hours a day without any external aid.

You are very correct, dear Sri Krishna. What most of spiritual seekers do is what is call "spiritual gluttony". Even in the context of Lord Ramana teachings we must choose Self-inquiry or Self-surrender, at least in the beginning. In the process all paths merge themselves and the seeker is no more troubled. Sri Bhagavan Ramakrishna is such an example. He has realized Brahman by almost all spiritual paths but one by one. When He was following Islam He didn't want to go to Kali temple, He has not interest in This Image of the Lord at that time. You are correct in my opinion but is very difficult to not read the beautiful words of so many saints from different religions, cultures and philosophies. But that's the way. Sri Bhagavan, Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Jesus, Sri Muhammad and all spiritual leaders are example of this principle.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Dear ramana,

I was told by one inmate of the Asramam that one, if he is a beginner, should start with reminiscences of various devotees.
This helps you to strengthen your devotion to Sri Bhagavan. Then comes, Talks, Day by Day, and Letters - these contain
Sri Bhagavan's answers to a variety of questions which You and I also do have. Then come to direct teachings like Ulladu Narpadu
and Upadesa Saram - as these are quintessence of Sri Bhagavan's tecahings.  Then do the Sadhana as per the last two works.

Arunachala Siva.       

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:13 PM »
Dear Sir,

You are very correct, dear Sri Krishna. What most of spiritual seekers do is what is call "spiritual gluttony". Even in the context of Lord Ramana teachings we must choose Self-inquiry or Self-surrender, at least in the beginning. In the process all paths merge themselves and the seeker is no more troubled. Sri Bhagavan Ramakrishna is such an example. He has realized Brahman by almost all spiritual paths but one by one. When He was following Islam He didn't want to go to Kali temple, He has not interest in This Image of the Lord at that time. You are correct in my opinion but is very difficult to not read the beautiful words of so many saints from different religions, cultures and philosophies. But that's the way. Sri Bhagavan, Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Jesus, Sri Muhammad and all spiritual leaders are example of this principle.

Dear sir,

Thanks for your reply.

However I think I am not expressing my point clearly.

What I mean to say is,  if one realy goes very deep in sadhana (not a jnani just a seeker), such a seeker will eventually avoid all other means,  aids,  cds,  books,  documentary movies,  music etc.  but only depend on his internal sadhana may it be japa or affirmations or self enquiry.

I believe it is very rare for a very serious mumukshu to engage in many external aids.  Sometimes we are carried away by spiritual re-creation.  But for us,  it is better still, because otherwise we will fall prey to Tv or cinema.

But a serious mumukshu's case is different.  For him even the spiritual e-store is a fallback  for his mind is now one with his chosen deity or sadhana.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »
Dear krishnan,

Sri Bhagavan Himself has said: There is no point in reading books unlimitedly.  (Who am I?)

With some basic readings of Sri Bhagavan's teachings and devotees' reminiscences, one should plunge into sadhana.

Very many books and e-books would only distract the sadhana.

Arunachala Siva. 

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:43:43 PM »
Dear krishnan,

Sri Bhagavan Himself has said: There is no point in reading books unlimitedly.  (Who am I?)

With some basic readings of Sri Bhagavan's teachings and devotees' reminiscences, one should plunge into sadhana.

Very many books and e-books would only distract the sadhana.

Arunachala Siva.

But I believe many of us including me endlessly chase around many many things.

Point is atleast I get bored sometimes,  I am not that burning in my realization aspiration.  So I try to cover that by reading many other pious things.

Many of our friends fall in my category I believe.

There is a lot of energy one gets when one does japa or any sadhana.  Problem is we dont know how to handle that energy.  We expense it by all means and totally exhaust ourself.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 03:21:16 PM »
Spiritual seeker is not different from anyone. The spiritual seeker wants happiness. The merchant wants happiness. The killer wants happiness. The prostitute wants happiness. Even asuras want happiness. And everyone of them finds temporary happiness sudsiding their vasanas through repeatedly satisfaction of the desires they (e.g. vasanas) produce. What Lord Ramana wanted we to realize is that this sort of happiness is not what we must strive for. This joy is temporary. There is a person in it. The only thing the Lord has wanted to tell us is that we must to annihilate this person (the ego), no matter what method, religion and so on we choose. The goal of every creature in every part of the world, of the Universe, in every dimension is to realize the Shining Reality which everyone calls in different way. I can suppose that there is a few very big obsticles for sadhaka:

1. Lack of faith in his/her sadhana. When you don't believe in what you do then what you should expect. OK. Let suppose that we "gain" faith then doubts appear. Am I doing things right? Is that the method for me? Is that my Guru? Is that my religion? Is what I believe true? and so on and so on.

2. Lack of determined practice. Most of the sadhakas choose one method. Do it for hours, days, may be weeks, don't gain any success and throw it away. Then choose another method, and another... And this inevitably leads to depression and discourage. The lack of determination has very strong connection with the lack of faith.

3. Nobody wants to kill the ego. That's because everyone identifies his/herself with the ego. Who whould like to kill him/herself? Ego wants to follow its own passion and desires, it doesn't want to drink poison every day and it fights with all its strength to diverge us from our sadhana.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 03:35:11 PM »
Dear krishnan and ramana,

Once Kunju Swami was asked to go to Kovilur Math, to attend the Samadhi ceremonies of a pontiff who had left the body.
There, Kunju Swami came to know that there are twenty books on advaita originally written in Tamizh, like Kaivalya Navaneetam,
gita sara thAlAttu,, Vedanta chudamani etc., and one should read them all. Kunju Swami asked: How much time would it take to
to read and understand all these books? The friend replied: one year. Kunju Swami said: I shall spend my full time on that and learn
in three months. The friend said: Okay, you try to do it.

Kunju Swami came back to the Asramam and told Sri Bhagavan and asked whether he could go to Kovilur to read all these books.
Sri Bhagavan said: Oh, you want to read them all!  After that? You would like to read siddhantham, vyakaranam, Jyotisham, nyaya-
vaiseshikam etc., etc., Is there any end? Summa Iru and you will learn the purport of all these!

Kunju Swami dropped the idea!

Arunachala Siva.