Author Topic: Brahma Sutra Bhashya  (Read 8339 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Brahma Sutra Bhashya
« on: May 07, 2012, 11:43:33 AM »
Dear all - Can anyone recommend me what is a good book (available in market or downloadable) Brahma Sutra Bhashya of Sankara?

THanks
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Brahma Sutra Bhashya
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
Sanjaya,
I looked up the website of Swami Krishnananda(Divine Life Society)and came across the commentary of Swami sivananda-Swamiji is a true mahatma and a knower of Brahman.I find his commentary easily readable and he praises Sri Sankara's commentary.The Preface to this book goes like this:
"Commentaries there have been many on the Brahma Sutras, but either they are too short and insufficient to be useful for a comprehensive study of the Sutras, or are extremely tough and abstruse to be utilised by men of ordinary understanding. This work of Swami Sivananda is of a Unique type in itself, unrivalled by any other. This commentary is neither too short to be useless, nor too verbose to be unintelligible, but follows a via media course, useful to one and all, mainly the spiritual aspirants, who want thought, not mere word.

Swamiji has got his own inimitable way of writing, which is a boon to the inquisitive student on the spiritual path. All real aspirants after Truth should possess this book, for it is a guide-light that is capable of steering them across the sea of ignorance and doubt."
you may look up:
http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/bs_0/bs_pre.html

you may continue to try elsewhere for Sri Sankara's commentary,but this one by sivanandaji should be good.I have not read this particular book but I know swamiji is a true Mahatma and his books will definitely be of help.I also recommend the upanishads and other works of his disciple Swami Krishnanandaji-they are quite good.
Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:37:26 PM »
Thanks, Ravi. Yes - I have heard a talk by Swami Krishnanda on "Krishna - the Yogacharya" and I loved his style. Will check this out...

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 08:13:28 PM »
Sanjayaji,

You may already know this, Swami Chinmayanada was first a disciple of Swami Sivananda and then he advised Swami Chinmayananda to study under Swami Tapovan Maharaj. Also, Swami Sivananda's ancestor is the great saint Sri Appayya Dikshitar. I have read some books by Swami Sivananda and found his style very simple and clear but I have not read his Brahma Sutra Bhashya.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:31:27 PM »
Dear i,

here is Swami Sivananda's Brahmasutra Bhashya:

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/BrahmaSutra.pdf

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:47:57 PM »
Kindly go through the following link for a basic primer on Brahma Sutra by Swami Krishnananda
An Analysis of the Brahma Sutra

by Swami Krishnananda

http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/brahma_00.html
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
Brahma Sutram talk in Tamil by Swami Guruparananda
Vyasacharya wrote the Brahma Sutras to clarify various possible doubts that could arise while studying the Upanishad mantras.

In these 33 classes, the first four sutras are explained.
http://www.poornalayam.org/classes-recorded/brahma-sutram
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha