Author Topic: Tamil Scriptures  (Read 89110 times)

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Tamil Scriptures
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 05:28:07 PM »
Dear atma vichar 100,

Araadha inbam arulum malai potri - means the malai = Arunachala, which gives limitless bliss to one who contemplate on It.

Swami Dandapani Desikar (of Dharmapuram Adeena,) who has written a 3000 pages commentary on Tiruvachakam, says
here, that the malai here should be construed as Waterfalls (Ekadesa Uruvaha Ani - it is called) and one should interpret
the line as 'the waterfalls that showers limitless bliss'.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramaniam Sir

You have got it right .I found the correct meaning in one issue of Mountain Path .Many other books carry the general meaning that "Malai" here refers to Mountain /Waterfalls that showers limitless bliss . Very few understood that the malai it was pointing to was "Arunachala " .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 05:39:48 PM »
Dear atmavivchar100,

Manikkavachagar describes the T'malai story i,e Brahma and Vishnu not being able to fathom the top and bottom of the
Light in more than 30 places in Tiruvachakam.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 09:15:16 PM »
Atmavichar,

"But he told me that the first step to make yourself eligible to get the meaning of any holy  text is to daily chant it or write it daily and  and have it stored in your memory and sow the seeds there and keep it nourishing daily and later it will grow and give you the fruits at the right time .
He was echoing the same as what Kanchi Paramacharya did only that he was quite blunt with regard to not giving the meaning .
I am right now doing the same for Bhagwan's Tamil works as well as other classical works in Tamil/Sanskrit "

I fully agree and endorse this approach.This is what Master Mahasaya says (from M,The apostle and the Evangelist),as he teaches a few verses of Bhagavad Gita to a devotee and asks him to commit to memory:

M. (to Buddhiram) These are steps to a man’s fall. Listen to them now:
Dhyayato vishayan pumsah samgasteshupjayate,Samgat jayate kamah kamat krodhobhijayate.Krodhat bhavati sammohah sammohat smritivibhramah,Smritibhramshad buddhinasho buddhinashat pranashyati.
[Brooding on the objects of senses, man develops attachment to them;from attachment comes desire and from desire anger.From anger comes delusion, from delusion, confused memory, and thereby, the ruin of reason and the man perishes with this ruin of reason.(Gita 2:62,63)]"

(Counting on his fingers) 1. Brooding on sensory objects 2.Attachment 3. Desire 4. Anger 5. Delusion 6. Loss of memory 7. The ruin of reason. Please count them on your fingers."

Buddhiram repeats them with M. five times one by one. The bhaktas do the same.

M. (to Buddhiram) Speak. Tell me from memory.Buddhiram Brooding over sensory objects, desire, anger (He cannot tell further).M. Attachment. Then what? Loss of memory, then what?

Buddhiram: Loss of reason.

M. Please repeat them again and again some time more as you sit here.

Buddhiram sits down and repeats them.

M. (to Buddhiram): Do it, do it, finish it up. When you memorise it, it enters the mind. It takes so little time if you will so."But the lazy can’t do it. (Pointing at a person) For example, he. How lazy he is! (The devotee sheds tears).Those who want it, how little time they need to memorise it. Commitit to memory, please commit it to memory".

(Pointing at a person) You tell him."(to a person, pointing at another) I asked him to memorise two shlokas daily, but he never did."

M. (to Buddhiram) Do it, do it quickly. You see, I have begun withthe second chapter directly with atma-tattva. The contents of the first chapter, I have just described verbally."
"And how do people read? Word by word, taking days. Whereas, I have started immediately with atma-tattva."

M. (to Buddhiram) And to memorise the inflection and the word is also not of little importance. When you are introduced to one, you want to know the other also."You must know a little of Sanskrit. You see, shastras are all in this language."

Just see, we were talking of other things but since a shloka came to memory, it all changed. All this is like the match stick catching fire.
They illumine the mind, every word is like a lamp.If you remember or just recite all these along with mediation over them, you succeed.So long as feeling does not become same with those words, you should only memorise them and repeat them. As you repeat them, a fire gets lighted within, like it happens when a piece of wood is rubbed with another.Feeling remains latent in all these words. That is why, the words of the avatara and of the spiritually great have so much power. Feeling is power. This power takes hold of the mind and takes it to the Absolute Power at the end
Thakur used to say, ‘It is like holding the links of the chain one by one to reach the plank.The plank is underwater."

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
I fully agree and endorse this approach.This is what Master Mahasaya says (from M,The apostle and the Evangelist),as he teaches a few verses of Bhagavad Gita to a devotee and asks him to commit to memory:
Ravi

Thanks for this detailed input regarding Master M urging his disciples to commit to memory the verses of Bhagwad Gita . I am trying my best to follow this approach . The human temptation is to read the meanings and commentary and after reading the meanings in English we consider ourselves to be masters of those texts . No doubt we get some superficial meaning for the same but these divine works Bhagwad Gita , Bhagavatham , Thiruvachagam , Akshara Mana Malai ,Thirukural etc are very potent ones and have lot of depth that one reading of its English meaning will not do .
I remember in early 90s my elder brother when he visited the Ramakrishna Mutt in Chennai and met a Senior Swami there ( I do not know his name ) and wanted to Study Gospel of Ramakrishna , he gave him a copy of condensed Gospel of Ramakrishna and told him to study and digest that first before he studies the Complete Version .
BTW I wish to know the difference between Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna and The Apostle and Evangelist . I have heard Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna and have also read it but this book I have never head . Just now downloaded it from net in PDF Format .

Om Peace .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
Friends,
This song never fails to move me:

மனிதன் என்பவன் தெய்வம் ஆகலாம்
வாறி வாறி வழங்கும் போது வள்ளல் ஆகலாம்
வாழைப் போல தன்னை தந்து தியாகி ஆகலாம்
உருகி ஓடும் மெழுகு போல ஒளியை வீசலாம்
தெய்வம் ஆகலாம் ..

ஊருக்கென்று வாழ்ந்த நெஞ்சம் சிலைகள் ஆகலாம்
உறவுக்கென்று விறிந்த உள்ளம் மலர்கள் ஆகலாம்
ஊருக்கென்று வாழ்ந்த நெஞ்சம் சிலைகள் ஆகலாம்
உறவுக்கென்று விறிந்த உள்ளம் மலர்கள் ஆகலாம்
யாருக்கென்று அழுத போதும் தலைவன் ஆகலாம்
மனம் மனம் அது கோவில் ஆகலாம்

மனமிருந்தால் பறவை கூட்டில் மான்கள் வாழலாம்
வழியிருந்தால் கடுகுக்குள்ளே மலையை காணலாம்
மனமிருந்தால் பறவை கூட்டில் மான்கள் வாழலாம்
வழியிருந்தால் கடுகுக்குள்ளே மலையை காணலாம்
துணிந்து விட்டால் தலையில் எந்த சுமையும் தாங்கலாம்
குணம் குணம் அது கோவில் ஆகலாம்

வாறி வாறி வழங்கும் போது வள்ளல் ஆகலாம்
வாழைப் போல தன்னை தந்து தியாகி ஆகலாம்
உருகி ஓடும் மெழுகு போல ஒளியை வீசலாம்
தெய்வம் ஆகலாம்

Kannadasan's lyric in the Film Sumaithangi,wonderfully sung by P B Srinivas

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 10:46:41 PM »
Krishna(atmavichar),
The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna was written by M(Sri Mahendranath Gupta) who was an intimate householder disciple of Sri Ramakrishna.You may find a good deal of information on M and the way he wrote this great classic as Sri Sri Ramakrishna kathamrita in Bengali, in The Rough Notebook thread.

M,The Apostle and Evangelist is the English translation of Sri Ma Darshan -a set of 16 volumes of M's talks by his devotee and associate,Sri jagabandhu(who later became Swami Nityatmananda).Here is a short note on Swami Nityatmananda:

"SWAMI NITYATMANANDA was a learned sannyasin-bhakta of Sri Ramakrishna. He served the Ramakrishna Maths and Missions at Calcutta, Madras and Deogarh Vidyapeeth.

Since his early youth, he had the privilege of sitting at the feet of M. for several years. During that period, he recorded the talks of M. [Mahendranath Gupta], an intimate house-holder disciple of Sri Ramakrishna and the renowned writer of the 'Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.'

M. heard these readings from his diary in Bengali and made corrections at places. SRI MA DARSHAN, is a compilation of these diaries, which comprises 16 volumes. This work is the result of twenty years of hard and incessant work and tapasya, on the banks of the Ganga in Rishikesh, in the Himalayas.

Says Swami Shraddhananda, Head Monk of the Vedanta Society of Sacramento U.S.A: "It was my great good fortune to know Swami Nityatmananda even when he was Jagabandhu Babu. How he served the venerable sage day after day! He seemed to be a constant shadow by the side of M." It was during that period that Swami Nityatmananda recorded the talks of M.

Adds Swami Shraddhananda, "One wonders at the unusual capacity of Swami Nityatmananda in recording these day to day conversations of this Vyasadeva of our time - M. - and later developing his notes into his masterly work. One cannot fail to discover the special training he received from M. himself in this direction while he was serving as a teacher in M.'s school and living with him for years."

Swami Nityatmananda was born May 29, 1893. He quit his mortal frame on July 12, 1975"

You may refer to this site:
http://www.kathamrita.org/

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2012, 07:31:24 AM »
Krishna(Atmavichar),

அரவம் ஆட்டேல்.
Do not pick and shake the snakes

Can someone explain this ? First of all one needs Guts to even touch a snake ,leave alone picking it up and shaking it

அரவம் means Noise.It also means snake but avvaiyar refers to Noise----->Dischord

அரவம் ஆட்டேல்-----Sound not noise------->Spread not Dischord.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2012, 07:50:40 AM »
Krishna/Friends,

ஆட்டேல்---->This word means to 'sound,Vibrate,Shake' etc.Avvaiyar 's words carry many shades of meaning-herein,avvaiyar is referring to 'wilful' spreading.
One may unintentionally say something that may lead to Dischord.
In this maxim,avvaiyar is referring to wilful,habitual spreading of Dischord.

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:53 AM »
Krishna/Friends,

ஆட்டேல்---->This word means to 'sound,Vibrate,Shake' etc.Avvaiyar 's words carry many shades of meaning-herein,avvaiyar is referring to 'wilful' spreading.
One may unintentionally say something that may lead to Dischord.
In this maxim,avvaiyar is referring to wilful,habitual spreading of Dischord.

Namaskar.

Thanks Ravi

This meaning sounds quite sensible than shaking snakes .

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice, It is a more reasonable meaning.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »

Sri Ravi, i was having this on mind to post some time, thank you, what wonderful expression, The other one, mayakama kalakama manadile kuzhapama too is a classic --->http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7164.msg35731#msg35731.

how simple, power-packed with wisdom with utter simplicity!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 09:54:43 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
Nagaraj,
Yes that was another wonderful lyric of kavignar kannadasan.He is no ordinary soul-a deep and sensitive poet.Outwardly he had a wayward life,but abolutely childlike and transparent.Kannadasan had great regard for master TGN.One day early morning ,he came to where TGN was staying and requested him to accompany him in his Taxi!TGN thought that he had something to discuss and consented.They visited 3 or 4 different shooting (film)sets,and as Kannadasan went about with his compositions,TGN just bided his time watching the artificial sets!It was late in the evening when kannadasan dropped TGN at his residence.He then told the master-'I just needed your company;that would inspire my compositions'!
TGN used to say that many of kanndasan's compositions are turiya nilai kavithaigal-he used to quote this one-Poojiyathile oru rajjiyathhai aandu kondu puriyaamale iruppaan oruvan,purindhu kondaal avan thaan iraivan'.
Again 'ullam enbadhu aamai,adhil unmai enbadhu oomai.sollil varuvadhu paadhi,adhil thoonghi kidappadhu meedhi'!
Truly enormously gifted and prolific.

This is what Sri Ramakrishna says in the Gospel:
The Master was highly pleased with the ostad's music. He said to the musician, "There is a
special manifestation of God's power in a man who has any outstanding gift, such as
proficiency in music."

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2012, 10:24:10 AM »
This is what Sri Ramakrishna says in the Gospel:
The Master was highly pleased with the ostad's music. He said to the musician, "There is a
special manifestation of God's power in a man who has any outstanding gift, such as
proficiency in music."

When two great people meet, we souls get the ambrosia of their churning in the end. Moments of deep reflections! It is only poets who are able to churn something from the depths of abyss, unlimited, vast expanse, into something so profound, for us ordinary souls, we are just simply bowled over at the vast expanse... how wonderful!

Truly, poets are gifted, some poets are the messengers of God. in the past you had posted "Poojiyathile oru rajjiyathhai" all of his songs are amazing, and what rendering by PBS, They all had wisdom, :) these songs are so profound that when i really happened to see the movie, the plot of the story line could not even really carry the weight of wisdom of these songs, they could only attempt! Kannadaasan is truly a gem.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »
Dear Ravi, Nagaraj and others,

Yesterday, someone wrote that the world would come to an end on 12.12.2012.  Let it come to an end or not.
But for devotees, the following verses speaking about 'eradication of evil effects of planets' if daily chanted will
ward off all evils, on a day, on an asterism, or a month or a planetary effect,  This decad comes under Canon 2
of Saiva Canons.   

வேயுறு தோளிபங்கன் விடமுண்ட கண்டன்
மிகநல்ல வீணை தடவி
மாசறு திங்கள்கங்கை முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
ஞாயிறு திங்கள்செவ்வாய் புதன்வியாழம் வெள்ளி
சனிபாம்பி ரண்டு முடனே
ஆசறு நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

என்பொடு கொம்பொடாமை யிவைமார் பிலங்க
எருதேறி யேழை யுடனே
பொன்பொதி மத்தமாலை புனல்சூடி வந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
*ஒன்பதொ டொன்றொடேழு பதினெட்டொ டாறும்
உடனாய நாள்க ளவைதாம்
அன்பொடு நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

*இரண்டாவது தேவாரம் மூன்றாவது சரணத்தில் பிரயாணத் துக்காகாத
12-நட்சத்திரங்களைக் குறித்திருக்கின்றது.
விவரம்: நட்சத்திரங்களில் முதலுற்பத்தி கிருத்திகையாம்.
ஆதலாலதனை முதலாகக்கொண்டு பார்க்கில் 9-வது
நட்சத்திரம் பூரம். ஒன்றென்றது கிருத்திகை, 7- ஆயிலிய
நட்சத்திரம், 18 பூராடம் ஆறுமுடனாய நாள்கள் என்றது
மேற்கூறிய நான்கும் அல்லாத 8 நட்சத்திரங்களுமாம்.
12 நட்சத்திரங்களாவன: பூரம், பூராடம், பூரட்டாதி, மகம்,
கேட்டை, பரணி, கிருத்திகை, சுவாதி, ஆயிலியம், விசாகம்,
ஆதிரை, சித்திரை என்பவைகளாகும்.

உருவலர் பவளமேனி ஒளிநீ றணிந்து
உமையோடும் வெள்ளை விடைமேன்
முருகலர் கொன்றைதிங்கள் முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
திருமகள் கலையதூர்தி செயமாது பூமி
திசை தெய்வ மானபலவும்
அருநெதி நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

மதிநுதல் மங்கையோடு வடபா லிருந்து
மறையோது மெங்கள் பரமன்
நதியொடு கொன்றைமாலை முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
கொதியுறு காலனங்கி நமனோடு தூதர்
கொடுநோய்க ளான பலவும்
அதிகுண நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

நஞ்சணி கண்டனெந்தை மடவாள் தனோடும்
விடையேறும் நங்கள் பரமன்
துஞ்சிருள் வன்னிகொன்றை முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
வெஞ்சின அவுணரோடு முருமிடியு மின்னு
மிகையான பூத மவையும்
அஞ்சிடு நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

வாள்வரி யதளதாடை வரிகோ வணத்தர்
மடவாள் தனோடு முடனாய்
நாண்மலர் வன்னிகொன்றை நதிசூடி வந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
கோளரி யுழுவையோடு கொலையானை கேழல்
கொடுநாக மோடு கரடி
ஆளரி நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

செப்பிள முலைநன்மங்கை ஒருபாக மாக
விடையேறு செல்வ னடைவார்
ஒப்பிள மதியுமப்பும் முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
வெப்பொடு குளிரும்வாதம் மிகையான பித்தும்
வினையான வந்து நலியா
அப்படி நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

வேள்பட விழிசெய்தன்று விடமே லிருந்து
மடவாள் தனோடும் உடனாய்
வாண்மதி வன்னிகொன்றை மலர்சூடி வந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
ஏழ்கடல் சூழிலங்கை அரையன்ற னோடும்
இடரான வந்து நலியா
ஆழ்கடல் நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

பலபல வேடமாகும் பரனாரி பாகன்
பசுவேறும் எங்கள் பரமன்
சலமக ளோடெருக்கு முடிமேல் அணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
மலர்மிசை யோனுமாலும் மறையோடு தேவர்
வருகால மான பலவும்
அலைகடல் மேருநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

கொத்தலர் குழலியோடு விசயற்கு நல்கு
குணமாய வேட விகிர்தன்
மத்தமு மதியுநாகம் முடிமே லணிந்தென்
உளமே புகுந்த அதனால்
புத்தரொ டமணைவாதில் அழிவிக்கு மண்ணல்
திருநீறு செம்மை திடமே
அத்தகு நல்லநல்ல அவைநல்ல நல்ல
அடியா ரவர்க்கு மிகவே.

தேனமர் பொழில்கொளாலை விளைசெந்நெல் துன்னி
வளர்செம்பொன் எங்கும் நிகழ
நான்முகன் ஆதியாய பிரமா புரத்து
மறைஞான ஞான முனிவன்
தானுறு கோளும்நாளும் அடியாரை வந்து
நலியாத வண்ணம் உரைசெய்
ஆனசொல் மாலையோதும் அடியார்கள் வானில்
அரசாள்வர் ஆணை நமதே.

Arunachala Siva,

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2012, 01:41:13 PM »
Subramanian/Friends,
Those interested may be able to download the kolaru pathigam sung by Seergazhi Govindarajan from this site:
http://mp3skull.com/mp3/kolaru_pathigam.html

Namaskar.