Author Topic: Tamil Scriptures  (Read 89207 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Tamil Scriptures
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 04:02:11 PM »
Nice poems,

The thing to observe is everybody has crossed the impediments of the vices, one by one, by His grace. This means each and every person can cross all the vices slowly if one cultivates steadfastness and bhakti with a calm and composed mind that enables one to respond to any given situation, that does not react. With bhakti and love of God or Guru, one can easily transcend these vices. One should have shradDhA, and steadfastness with patience.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
உருவாய் அருவாய் உளதாய் இலதாய்
மருவாய் மலராய் மணியாய் ஒளியாய்
கருவாய் உயிராய் கதியாய் குருவாய்
வருவாய் அருவாய் குகனே

uruvAi aruvAi uLathAi ilathAi
maruvAi malarAi maNiyAi oLiyAi
karuvAi uyirAi gadhiyAi vidhiyAi
guruvAi varuvAi aruLvAi guhanE

O! Lord Muruga
you are the one with the form, you are also one without a form.
You are the one who has it all, and you are the one who does not have it all,
you are present in the smallest, in the flower, in the ring of the bell, and in the Light.
You are the embryo, you are the life, you are the destiny, and you are the fate.
Please come upon us as our Guru and bestow your blessings.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 05:54:38 PM »
உருவா யருவா யுளதா யிலதாய்
மருவாய் மலராய் மணியா யொளியாய்
க்கருவா யுயிராய்க் கதியாய்
விதியாய்க்குருவாய் வருவா யருள்வாய் குகனே. 51

This is the last verse of Kandar Anubhuti.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Once a devotee of Kanchi Mahaperiyava went to have darshan of him and pleaded his low income was not enough to carry
on the day to day expenses, and also to marry way his daughter.  Mahaperiyava asked: Do you chant any swami slokas?
He said: I am chanting Kandhar Anubhuti every day apart from sandhya vandanam on the three occasions on any day.
Mahaperiyava said: In Kandar Anubhuti itself there is a request to Skanda to confer the you enough income, why do you
worry? Continue to chant.

The devotee was wondering. Mahaperiyava explained: See  the last song. GuruvAi, varuvAi aruLvAi guhane!  varuvAi means
income also, he will give enough income to you in due course. Do not worry. Keep chanting Kandhar Anubhuti.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 11:27:52 AM »
Subramanian,
". GuruvAi, varuvAi aruLvAi guhane!  varuvAi means income also, he will give enough income to you in due course. Do not worry. Keep chanting Kandhar Anubhuti"

Truly typical of Kanchi Mahaperiyava!He pulls off these things from nowhere!
The Devotee has now got the 'Varuvai' from 'Guru Vai'-How can the words of the Guru ever go amiss.I am sure it would have borne fruit.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2012, 11:40:15 AM »
Subramanian/Friends,
One of my friends has this footer in all his mails:

வருவது  தானே  வரும் !

வருவதுதானே  வரும் !   

What comes ,comes on its own!(whether we invite it or not )

What (has to)come comes.(No other thing could have come!)

Tamizh is such a wonderful language ,so expressive and succinct.People think that there are not enough alphabets to support it phonetically but the richness of this ancient language is elsewhere!

Namaskar.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »
Tamizh is such a wonderful language ,so expressive and succinct.People think that there are not enough alphabets to support it phonetically but the richness of this ancient language is elsewhere!

Tamizh is the language of heart .
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:30:42 PM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2012, 01:27:48 PM »
Dear Ravi, atmavichar100,

Here is a verse from Manikkavachagar, Tiruvachakam, Ananda Paravasam, Verse 7:

தாராய் உடையாய் அடியேற்கு உன்தான் இணை அன்பு
போரா உலகம் புக்கார் அடியார் புறமே போந்தேன் யான்
ஊர் ஆ மிலைக்கக் குருட்டு ஆமிலைத்து இங்கு உன்தான் இணை அன்புக்கு
ஆராய் அடியேன் அயலே மயல் கொண்டு அழுகேனே. 91

The saint poet says: O my Master, give me devotion to pray to your two golden feet and  and attain them.
The devotees who are with ardent love for you, have reached your Abode already. I am merely standing outside.
Like a blind cow (kurutu A ) goes on the basis of the sound of 'amma' by another town cow, I am (without adequate
devotion to you), I am going behidn them. I am crying for the love for your two feet. I am deluded. I am crying (do
some thing for my sake).

The saint poet says he is like a blind cow. It does know the way. But it goes behind (hearing the sound of amma) by another
town cow (a good devotee). He does not know anything else. He is deluded. He is weeping. (He seeks the grace of
Siva!)

These oor A and kuruttu A, are a rare simile / metaphor which I have not seen elsewhere.

A great verse!

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 02:01:42 PM »
Once a devotee of Kanchi Mahaperiyava went to have darshan of him and pleaded his low income was not enough to carry
on the day to day expenses, and also to marry way his daughter.  Mahaperiyava asked: Do you chant any swami slokas?
He said: I am chanting Kandhar Anubhuti every day apart from sandhya vandanam on the three occasions on any day.
Mahaperiyava said: In Kandar Anubhuti itself there is a request to Skanda to confer the you enough income, why do you
worry? Continue to chant.

The devotee was wondering. Mahaperiyava explained: See  the last song. GuruvAi, varuvAi aruLvAi guhane!  varuvAi means
income also, he will give enough income to you in due course. Do not worry. Keep chanting Kandhar Anubhuti.
வருவது  தானே  வரும் !
வருவதுதானே  வரும் !   

What comes ,comes on its own!(whether we invite it or not )

What (has to)come comes.(No other thing could have come!)

What Joy! Tamizl inbam.

இன்பத் தமிழ்

பாரதிதாசன் கவிதைகள் (தமிழ்)

தமிழுக்கும் அமுதென்று பேர் - அந்தத்
தமிழ் இன்பத் தமிழ் எங்கள் உயிருக்கு நேர்.
தமிழ் எங்கள் சமூகத்தின் விளைவுக்கு நீர்.!
தமிழுக்கு மணமென்று பேர் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் எங்கள் வாழ்வுக்கு நிருமித்த ஊர்.!
தமிழுக்கு மதுவென்று பேர் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் எங்கள் உரிமைச்செம் பயிருக்கு வேர் !

தமிழ் எங்கள் இளமைக்குப் பால் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் நல்ல புகழ்மிக்க புலவர்க்கு வேல்.
தமிழ் எங்கள் உயிருக்கு வான் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் எங்கள் அசதிக்குச் சுடர்தந்த தேன்.
தமிழ் எங்கள் அறிவுக்குத் தோள் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் எங்கள் கவிதைக்கு வயிரத்தின் வாள.
தமிழ் எங்கள் பிறவிக்குத் தாய் - இன்பத்
தமிழ் எங்கள் வலமிக்க உளமுற்ற தீ

- பாரதிதாசன்

Sweet Tamil -

Tamil too is known as nectar - That
Tamil. is extolled as per with our lives !
Tamil means the moon - that
Tamil. to our society, is a percious boon
Tamil means fragrance - That
Tamil is our peoples peaceful home
Tamil is an intoxicating charm - That
Tamil is the root of all our liberty"

Tamil is the cause of our valour - That
Tamil for the scholars, is a powerful arrow !
Tamil lifts up high above the sky - that
Tamil is an invigorating honey sweet !
Tamil is the companion of our wisdom - That
Tamil, to our verses, is a diamond sword !
Tamil, mother, carried us in her woumb- That
Tamil is a powerful and enthusing flame !

Translated By M.S.venkatachalam. Trhichy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39LJ3tcafB8

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:05:14 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. Bharati Dasan is a good Tamizh poet. He was living in Pondicherry (now Puducherry) and was meeting Subrahmanya
Bharati often. He also wrote some poems. His name is Kanak Subburatnam.  One day Bharati found his poems interesting
and said: Oye, Kanaka Subburatnam, you are really a poet!. Ratnam also changed his name as Bharati Dasan.

Later, he traveled in a wrong path. Instead of being simply a poet, writing about Nature, Love, Tamizh and other such general
topics, he became a Dravida Kazhagam activist and started writing against gods, brahmins, temples etc.,  He neither became a
active politician nor a glorious poet.  His stars did not rise further.

Arunachala Siva. 

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 03:29:58 PM »
Nagaraj/Subramanian/Krishna(atmavichar)/Friends,
Wonderful poem of Bharatidasan;I had intended posting it the moment I saw Krishna's comment.Bharatidasan's devotion to his Guru Mahakavi Bharati is something that lasted throughout his life.Bharatidasan was a wonderful person,very upright,downright honest,uncompromising in not pandering to anything selfish.Truly a noble soul despite his joining the Dravidian movement.Once it so happened that when he along with other DK enthusiasts were going along a road when he came across chellamAL bharati(wife of the Mahakavi)unexpectedly.He immediately went and greeted her and prostrated full length in that open road.When the other 'Rationalists' questioned him on this,he said-'This is my Iyer's consort'.He never used to call the Mahakavi by name and used to address him as 'Iyer'(Head,Chief).There was this other instance when AnDAL's TiruppAvai used to be played through the Loudspeakers in a nearby temple,near Bharatidasan's home,early in the morning during the month of mArgazhi.Someone lodged a police complaint that the playing is disturbing the Neighbourhood and their early morning sleep!Police approached the Temple Trusties and asked them to play it at low volume.News travelled apace that someone had lodged a complaint with the Police regarding the playback through loudspeakers of TiruppAvai.As usual rumours spread that it must be Bharatidasan ,since he belonged to the Atheist DK group and his home is in the immediate neighbourhood.This was conveyed to Bharatidasan who lost no time in organizing a public meeting that very evening.A huge crowd gathered and Bharatidasan announced that he had organized this meeting to clear the false Ground that he had lodged a police complaint.He said ,is a devotee of AndAL's sangath Tamizh maaLai of tiruppAvai and gets up early in the morning just to listen to the Broadcast and not miss it! He added 'I Go to sleep again only after listening to it'!If someone who doubts this,he may come forward....That was the end of that rumour.
TGN has narrated stories of how Bharatidasan has served the Mahakavi by running errands like fetching water for drinking,etc.Here is a poem of Bharatidasan translated by TGN who considers Bharatidasan as a Hidden(veiled) Yogi:

PERCEIVE  THE  ONE

Should you not make a bid

to be rid of the multi-misery

flowing to you from

your own conditioning,

where you are acquiescing in

a thousand castes and creeds,

where you are paying court

to schemers who are,

fox-like in character,

and where you are swearing by

cults and schisms that are

egging us on to fight

like dogs amongst ourselves?

Real living is that

where your mind is in equipoise

with the distinction between “You” and “I”

obliterated for good

and there is unobstructed

vision of the One only…

BHARATIDASAN (1891 - 1964) poem  rendered into English by Sage TGN

« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:55:57 PM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Dear Ravi,

Nice information about Bharati Dasan. Thanks.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »
Ravi

Excellent  write up about Pavendar Bharatidasan .
Here is an excellent song by Pavendar Bharati Dasan Sangae Muzhangu for Tamil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpvOyMEPfOw

சங்கே முழங்கு , சங்கே முழங்கு , சங்கே முழங்கு எங்கள் வாழ்வும் எங்கள் வளமும் மங்காத தமிழென்று சங்கே முழங்கு சங்கே முழங்கு! எங்கள் வாழ்வும் எங்கள் வளமும் மங்காத தமிழென்று சங்கே முழங்கு. எங்கள் பகைவர் எங்கோ மறைந்தார் இங்குள்ள தமிழர்கள் ஒன்றாதல் கண்டே! பொங்கும் தமிழர்க் கின்னல் விளைத்தால், பொங்கும் தமிழர்க் கின்னல் விளைத்தால் சங்காரம் நிஜமெனச் சங்கே முழங்கு!

சங்கே முழங்கு , சங்கே முழங்கு , சங்கே முழங்கு

திங்களொடும் செழும்பரிதி தன்னோடும் விண்ணோடும் உடுக்களோடும்,
மங்குல் கடல் இவற்றோடும் பிறந்த தமிழுடன் பிறந்தோம் நாங்கள்,
தமிழுடன் பிறந்தோம் நாங்கள்,

ஆண்மைச் சிங்கத்தின் கூட்டமென்றும் சிறியோர்க்கு ஞாபகம் செய் முழங்கு சங்கே! சங்கே முழங்கு

வெங்கொடுமைச் சாக்காட்டில் விளையாடும் தோளெங்கள் வெற்றித் தோள்கள்.
கங்கையைப்போல் காவிரிபோல் கருத்துக்கள் ஊறுமுள்ளம் எங்கள் உள்ளம்!
வெங்குருதி தனிற்கமழ்ந்து வீரஞ்செய்கின்ற தமிழ் எங்கள் மூச்சாம்! தமிழ் எங்கள் மூச்சாம்!
Category:
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 04:47:48 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100,

Nice poem by Bharati Dasan. One can see the 'tone' of Subrahmanya Bharati here.

Thanks.

I am not sure whether works of Bharati Dasan have been collected and published and sold by Tamizh Nadu
Governement. Of course, they have named one university as Bharati Dasan University.

Arunachala Siva.     

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Bharatidasan was a wonderful person,very upright,downright honest,uncompromising in not pandering to anything selfish.Truly a noble soul despite his joining the Dravidian movement.
Ravi and others
Unfortunately to the extent to which Subramania Bharathiar songs are popular Pavendar Bharatidasan's songs have not been made popular and it is just confined to DMK,DK ,Rationalist and Atheistic circles in TN and Pondicherry . Might be because he expounded the cause of Tamil Nationalism and Atheism a lot than talking about God and a United India  which Subramanya Bratahi did .
But he has sung about Parasakhthi starting with "Engengun Kaanum Sakthi..."
I and unable to get the lyrics of the same .If someone has it kindly share the same .
The above film song "Sangae Muzhangu.." by Pavendar Barathi Dasan is what I listen to it regularly .