Author Topic: Contemplating on BhagavatSwarupam  (Read 9434 times)

latha

• View Profile
Contemplating on BhagavatSwarupam
« on: May 04, 2012, 12:36:21 AM »
Namaste All,

I have been blessed to listen to Srimad Bhagavatham by Sri Nochur Venkataramanji. This has made me contemplate on BhagavatSwarupam or seeing God in everyone. Coincidentally in my Bhagavad Gita class Swamiji was talking about seeing Bhagavan in all the human beings(Chap 9 verse 11). Any suggestions to help achieve this state? We hear God is everywhere all the time but the message does not seem to sink in.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Contemplating on BhagavatSwarupam
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:36 AM »
Lathaji,
"This has made me contemplate on BhagavatSwarupam or seeing God in everyone."
Depending on what motivates us,we may approach this subject.Approaching it through the framework of thoughts is always misleading;Analogy may help and yet it will not be the same as experiencing this.
Let us approach this through an analogy-we all breathe the same air.We realize how breath is vital to our living and we realize that it is vital for one and all-all living beings.We do not have to see this Fact in all;it is enough to know it for ourselves and we know that it is universally true.Whatever is breathing through us,this thing called Life,this is what is animating all-whose essence is Sat,chit and ananda ,this essence needs to be discovered in us.To the degree this is appreciated in us,to that degree we will come to understand its presence in others.Behind the mask of outer personality,it is this 'One Life' that is breathing through all.The acme of this is when we drop the limiting circle of the Ego and find that Satchitananda alone is.

Just like we do not think of air as present everywhere and  at all time,and we simply breathe in the plenitude-Likewise,space and time will lose its meaning as we perceive and live in the essence-Bhagavath swaroopa.

To discover this essence in us is to see it everywhere and in everyone or nowhere and no one in particular!For this ,assiduous Sadhana is advised.Once we get a taste for this,this in itself will pull us more and more into its ambiance.
One problem that I have observed is that many of the swamijis delve too much in the realm of ideas(I do not intend to criticize them).Nochur Venkatraman is an exception and he is truly a great soul.Listening to his Talks on Bhagavatham is indeed a very fruitful sadhana.

Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:01:05 AM »
Lathaji

My shortest answer is Sadhana. If you can train your mind to wake up at a different time in the morning, if one can train their mind to make anything a habbit (even things like smoking) - I dont believe it is hard to train one's mind to see everything as God.

A vedantic and sanskrit scholar Sri Dr. Prof. G. Balakrishnan Nair used to say - you easily experience everything that is non existent as existent without effort (Maya of world around us), then why not at least imagine something which actually exists :) and make it a habbit of your mind to see it all along. Imagination will lead to experience without too much delay.

Peace
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 09:26:03 AM »
Dear i,

you have already begun seeing everybody, everything as Brahmaswaropam, Atmaswaroopam, Bhagawathswaroopam. Just we lack the belief, or conviction, that we truly do! You are already doing, what perhaps a sincere sadhaka would do in the said circumstances,

Do watch this excellent documentary on Buddha at leisure -

http://www.pbs.org/thebuddha

it is an excellent peak into the life of Buddha, which is quite relevant to your question, which is everybody's question.

really an interesting contemplative question to read the first in the day! :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:33:16 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 03:33:55 PM »
Namaste All,

I have been blessed to listen to Srimad Bhagavatham by Sri Nochur Venkataramanji. This has made me contemplate on BhagavatSwarupam or seeing God in everyone. Coincidentally in my Bhagavad Gita class Swamiji was talking about seeing Bhagavan in all the human beings(Chap 9 verse 11). Any suggestions to help achieve this state? We hear God is everywhere all the time but the message does not seem to sink in.

hi latha

forget about seeing God everywhere.

Choose a main Guru for yourself living or one who passed away,  either follow his single teaching or atleast think of him as frequently as possible in the mind.

Rest all will follow automatically. 

The mental thinking of a jnani will produce very good results and cleanse our karma very fastly.  all three types of karma can be destoryed by one minded devotion to one's Guru.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 05:40:52 PM »

Dear Latha,

From my own limited experience, i can share with you that, this is no brahma vidya or any some great secret knowledge has to be derived, what i have discerned about seeing Bhagavan in all beings is to simply begin seeing Bhagavan this very moment, in everybody and every thing! Simply as a matter of fact! What is there out there other than Bhagavan? We always have two choices with us, it is to either to see the other as an ordinary being or we have the divine choice to see the other as Saakshaat Bhagavat Swaroopam Himself. The choice is ours. The more we are able to see Bhagavan in all we are in Paramaarthikam and the lesser, that is seeing others as ordinary beings, we dwelve in vyvavahaathikam!

As Bhagavan says the only choice we have or freewill we truly have is to desire the Lord or Self. It is merely a matter of our purushaartham, that we begin to see Bhagavan in one and all. I am reminded this wonderful small story as told by Sri Ramakrishar -

Seeing God in everything

"There was a monastery in a certain place. The monks residing there went out daily to beg their food. One day a monk, while out for his alms, saw a landlord beating a man mercilessly. The compassionate monk stepped in and asked the landlord to stop. But the landlord was filled with anger and turned his wrath against the innocent monk. He beat the monk till he fell unconscious on the ground. Someone reported the matter to the monastery. The monks ran to the spot and found their brother lying there.
Four or five of them carried him back and laid him on a bed. He was still unconscious. The other monks sat around him sad at heart; some were fanning him. Finally someone suggested that he should be given a little milk to drink. When it was poured into his mouth he regained consciousness. He opened his eyes and looked around. One of the monks said, 'Let us see whether he is fully conscious and can recognize us.' Shouting into his ear, he said, 'Revered sir, who is giving you milk?' 'Brother,' replied the holy man in a low voice, 'He who beat me is now giving me milk.'

"But one does not attain such a state of mind without the realization of God."

It comes with small beginning. Lets just simply begin seeing everything as Bhagavan. The Goods and the Bads, the nice and the not so nice, the ones that are to be shunned and the one that are to be imbibed, etc... There is no secret. as you would have heard Acharya quote in one of his talks, it comes with faith, he quoted from Adi Shankara (dont remember now) The Guru says so, therefore Shivoham Shivoham. Repeated satsang with such SatGuru itself would take us to that. We have to maintain that current and not dissipate it off in mundane affairs.

--
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:07:13 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 05:48:25 PM »
Dear Latha,

:D

I just realised that Krishna had responded to your query posted on  May 04, 2012 i am not sure, and i expressed believing you have posted as of today. If the same question lasts now in you, however this has been a beneficial contemplation for me.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 09:52:27 PM »

Choose a main Guru for yourself living or one who passed away,  either follow his single teaching or atleast think of him as frequently as possible in the mind.

Rest all will follow automatically. 

Hari Om
Yes, it comes down to sadhana.

However, as Krishnanji says, a guru helps us go beyond just the theoretical learning.
Raviji, I go to the same Swamiji as Latha and he has become my guru for last couple of years. In fact, strangely, I see Bhagawan in him.
And his words are not just ideas.. we see him live as a gnani. Just like Bhagawan, he discourages spiritual studies that don't lead to spiritual growth (Bhagawan said educated ajnani!)

I see him pay utmost respect to the smallest of children, the least well-read of the adults who come to him. People bring complaints (silly ones to me!), concerns to him, but he is always in samabuddhi, but compassionate. The more I observe him, I see that it is not a show he is putting on.. I don't think one can put up a show 24x7! Seeing oneness in everybody is his intrinsic nature now. And because of this, he seems to overflow with joy... he never seems upset even though he is the spiritual guide for over 1000 families and faces many issues in dealing with the organizational issues. As Latha knows, I was surprised to see him deliver the same depth/quality in the Geetha class for about 10 ladies as he does for the usual crowd of 200 people.

When I asked him how, he says to start expanding from our family to our circle of friends, to neighbors, etc. When we lessen our attachment to our family/possessions, we will be able to attach to rest of world. 

As Krishnanji says, I am trying to think of him and center myself whenever negative thoughts arise. I surrender those negative emotions to him (remember the story when Bhagawan asked a man to give him all his sins?) I feel like if I imitate him/emulate him, I will be fine.

I have gone 180 degrees in my view in the past 2 years - now, I firmly believe all the shravana/reading are of no use without bhakthi!
Deepa

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »
Dear Nagarajji, Krishnaji,

It is funny that my post from last year(May 2012) got responses now! But like you mentioned Nagarajji, contemplation on divine thoughts anytime is beneficial to everyone.

Krishnaji, I was pulled by Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi like a very forceful water current like many others. Now Arunachala and Bhagavan who represent Self/God/Guru guide me. As I chant Aksharamanamalai and contemplate on it, the simple verses reveal beautiful lessons. Sri Nochurji in his many discourses is always quoting from these verses and explaining them beautifully.

I am currently very interested in "summa iru" teaching of Bhagavan. Sri Nochurji was explaining that our prarabdha puts us in our various life situations, instead of fighting against problems he says accept them. He was talking about Bhagavan's teaching to his mother Allagammal, saying something like, what is destined to happen will and what is not meant to happen will not no matter how much effort you put in.

Am I right in assuming that this does not mean one should stop performing their duties but instead do their best with the clear understanding that it is God who is performing through us. If we do sharanagati to Guru/God and not focus on the fruits of our actions, the blessing and grace that has made us aware of these beautiful teachings will wake us up from this long dream(wakeful state) and problems.

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2013, 12:09:37 AM »
Dear Deepa,

I just saw your post. I am very happy that you see our Swamiji as your Guru. He has helped me a lot in the past few years and is very inspiring to see him live the teachings. For me Bhagavan and Arunachala are my Guru and all the other sources of inspiration are a blessing from the same source. We are blessed to feel the grace no matter what or who inspires us - it is after all the Self that is manifesting as an outward form to guide us back to our real nature.

Deepa just like you, I started studying vedanta in Chinmaya mission like science in a logical way but somewhere along the way bhakti took over. Devotion towards Bhagavan  seemed to come out of nowhere! Now Sadhana, satsang is very vital to me to not get sucked back into the mundane material life and be consumed by day-to-day problems. I am still influenced by the three gunas and give into temptations like watching movies but continue to pray for stronger devotion.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
Talk No. 28 - Talks with Ramana Maharshi

D.: Cannot this trouble and difficulty be lessened with the aid of a
Master or an Ishta Devata (God chosen for worship)? Cannot they
give the power to see our Self as it is - to change us into themselves
- to take us into Self-Realisation?

M.:Ishta Devata and Guru are aids - very powerful aids on this path.
But an aid to be effective requires your effort also. Your effort is a
sine qua non. It is you who should see the sun. Can spectacles and
the sun see for you? You yourself have to see your true nature. Not
much aid is required for doing it!

Talk No. 398

D.: Is not Grace the gift of the Guru?

M.: God, Grace and Guru are all synonymous and also eternal and
immanent. Is not the Self already within? Is it for the Guru to bestow
It by his look? If a Guru thinks so, he does not deserve the name.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »
     Am I right in assuming that this does not mean one should stop performing their duties but instead do their best with the clear understanding that it is God who is performing through us. If we do sharanagati to Guru/God and not focus on the fruits of our actions, the blessing and grace that has made us aware of these beautiful teachings will wake us up from this long dream(wakeful state) and problems.

Dear Lathaji,

I am of same view like You. I think that is the best and only way to succeed. To perform actions in the best way we can,and to give everything to our Guru and God. To have Him constantly in our minds and hearts,to ponder over His Beautiful words of wisdom,to remind ourselves that these actions and thoughts are not what we really are. That there is no us who do or think,or suffer. I try to remind myself every time that this is not what I am,and let them play by itself. Everything else will follow automatically. Even that is sign of  Grace. Truly,His ways are magnificent,and with Him everything is shower of Love.

With love and prayers,
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:12:32 PM by Jewell »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »

Dear latha, jewell,

Sri Ramana Stuti Panchakam of Satyamangalam Venkataramana Iyer runs in the same vein.  He says:  You are personfication
of Grace. Please remove the ghost called ego and rule over me.  You are the one who pervades the five elements and not having
any of the five koshas, sheaths. Please kill my mind which runs riot through five senses.

Sri Ramana Stuti Panchakam is today's (Saturday's) Tamizh Parayana in the Asramam.

Arunachala Siva,   

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 06:29:03 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian sir,

Beautiful verse! How wonderful that it is playing today in the Ashram.

Indeed,the Self pervades everything,and only our clinging to mind and senses is what makes us believe we are separate entety. Insted we let them rule us,we should rule them. They are only servants of the Ever Shining Self.

With love and prayers,

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 06:39:07 PM »

Interesting posts, Sri Sanjay, Sri Jewel, Subramanian Sir,

i would like to express my 2 pieces of thoughts :)

Lataji, this doubt or question comes along with the doership. Without the Doership, there is neither. There ought to be the Doer ego to either Stop performing the duty or in performance of duty! The wisdom is beyond both. There is neither of both there, there such questions or doubts do not arise, of that of doership of performance or non-performance of some duty!

Any doubt only arises only with the doership.

True Sharanagati occurs at the dawn of Jnana, of knowledge, that there is absolutely that can be claimed as ours! Therefore the root of Doership depends on the water of attachment or possession, only if we have something to claim as mine, only then can there be a doer and the need to neutralise this doer or the goal of attainment of Sharanagati.

Surrendering the fruits of actions, then can no longer be called as THYAGA or Sacrifice, as when it dawns that even the fruits of our actions do not really belong to us, how can we claim it? Even though we may enjoy certain things from this body-instrument of ours, truly He alone is the real enjoyer, thereafter.

He is the Karta, He is the Bhokta as well.

We are swallowed!

When 'I am' also His, what remains? I cannot claim myself, that would be error and birth of samsara!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta