Author Topic: Value of pilgrimages  (Read 1347 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Value of pilgrimages
« on: May 06, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
Dear friends,
I was on a tour to Kanchipuram with my aged parents over this weekend.My original plan was Thiruvannamalai but I could not get accomodation there due to Chitra Purnami.
After returning , a question has arisen in me as to how visiting holy places can help us in "The quest " .
Secondly how can we make full use of such a pilgrimage - this I am asking for my future benefit and for the benefit of others.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram.

Sundaram Anand

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Value of pilgrimages
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
Dear i,

the very fact that one is able to go to a pilgrimage itself is a result of grace.

Bhagavan says: Just consider how all of you born in different places and living in other lands are gathered here today? What is the Force which has attracted you here? If this is understood the other Force is also understood.

Some force is surely attracting, be it any place, every place of pilgrimage is grace..

In Talks 41

D.: Are pilgrimages, etc., good?
M.: Yes.

He has mentioned at several instances the efficacy of such pilgrimage is a form of tapas of self purification process. While yes, as wisdom blooms, one will begin to feel that very place one is, is itself a theertha kshetra (holy place)

Once Chadwick asked, It is said that one look of a Mahatma is enough; that idols, pilgrimages, etc. are not so effective. I have been here for three months, but I do not know how I have been benefited by the look of Maharshi.

M.: The look has a purifying effect. Purification cannot be visualised. Just as a piece of coal takes long to be ignited, a piece of charcoal takes a short time, and a mass of gunpowder is instantaneously ignited, so it is with grades of men coming in contact with Mahatmas.

in Talks 278

D.: I wish to go to Kailas.
M.: One can see these places only if destined. Not otherwise. After seeing all, there will still remain more - if not in this hemisphere, maybe in the other. Knowledge implies ignorance of what lies beyond what is known. Knowledge is always limited. After some time Sri Bhagavan continued: Appar was decrepit and old and yet began to travel to Kailas. Another old man appeared on the way and tried to dissuade him from the attempt, saying that it was so difficult to reach there. Appar was however obdurate and said that he would risk his life in the attempt. The stranger asked him to dip himself in a tank close by. Appar did so and found Kailas then and there. Where did all this happen? In Tiruvayyar, nine miles from Tanjore. Where is Kailas then? Is it within the mind or outside it? If Tiruvayyar be truly Kailas, it must appear to others as well. But Appar alone found it so. Similarly it is said of other places of pilgrimage in the South, that they are the abodes of Siva, and devotees found them so. This was true from their standpoint. Everything is within. There is nothing without.

Everything has its role in the evolution of a sadhaka, for instance, many of my relatives are planning to attend the AthiRudra Maha Yajna to be held at Kanchipuram at Maha Swami Adhishtanam itself, while i have utmost respect to these rituals, and Vedic chants, i myself am least interested to personally go and attend these, for i am now absolutely convinced that the true and real pilgrimage is the Self within, never to return back. But at the same time, those who go to attend such yajnas are not to be spoken of lesser, each one has his way, but ultimately to make a final pilgrimage within, no matter whether one goes or not goes to pilgrimages, no matter whether one does yajnas or not, whether one does worships or not, and so on...

You may be interested to read postings in this topic as well:

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6896.msg25169#msg25169

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Value of pilgrimages
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 03:23:45 PM »
Dear Anand Sundaram,

Generally speaking pilgrimages are only to ensure chitta suddhi.

However, visiting a Jnani's Samadhi, one ardent seeker will receive more and more grace from that ever living Jnani.

In Tiruvannamalai, there are four places where Samadhis are and wherefrom one can derive benefits:

1. Sri Bhagavan's
2. Sri Mother's
3. Sri Seshadri Swami's
4. Isanya Jnana Desika's (in giri valam route)

When however a Jnani goes to a pilgrim center, such centers become more powerful. If for example, even if a Jnani
bathes in a water tank in Chennai, that waters become Ganga.  That is how the great Saiva Saints went to differerent
temples.

Isanya Jnana Desika's story is quite interesting. About it later. 

Arunahcala Siva.