Author Topic: Shakti Ma  (Read 5455 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Shakti Ma
« on: May 01, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
What was Bhagavans relationship with Shakti Ma?
I know he didn't worship Devi aas Shaktas do, but I want to know.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Shakti Ma
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:11:48 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Sri Bhagavan never composed any poem  on Sakti, the Mother.  He used to address Arunachala itself as Ammai-Appa,
Mother-Father in His poems. (Navamani Malai verse 9).

When someone asked why He has not composed any poem on Sakti, He answered saying: "That Power is only within me
making me do all these things."   

Even on His arrival at Arunachala, when He went inside the Temple, He only went to Arunachaleswara to say that He had
come as per His command. He did not visit Ummamulai Ammn shrine. On another occasion, when the idols of Arunachaleswara
Apeetakuchambal were kept on the outer portals during a festival, He went there in guise as a Vaishnavite and prayed to both
of them.

Arunachala Siva, 

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
Subramanian sir - Thank you. I recall Bhagawan also saying once that HE is one who is even inside SHE and not the other way - even lightly joking on English spelling. Meaning that HE is the core which is making SHE act even.

Even logically, I do not think - Shakthi can be separated. In other words, what is Maya - nothing but the "power of Supreme Brahman". For example, on a lighter note, you can not tell someone like S P Balasubramiam that : "Sir, you please sit in this seat and keep your 'ability to sing' on the other chair". It is one and the same. They dont have existence separately. Thank you again.

Peace,
Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:20:49 PM »
Dear sanjaya_ganesh,

There is a beautiful verse by Saint Manikkavachagar in Tiruvachakam:

Kovil Mootha Tirupadigam - The Elder Decade on Kovil (Chidambaram).

udaiyAL unRan naduvirukkum udayAL naduvuL nee irutthi
adiyen naduvuL iruveerum iruppathAnAl adiyen un
adiyAr naduvuL irukkum aruLai puriyAi pon amabalathem
mudiya mudhale en karuthu mudiyum vaNNam muninRe.

UdaiyAL, that is Uma is within you. You also keep yourself within udaiyAL (Sakti)
Within this slave both of you are there!  This slave
Must ever be within the group of your devotees, please give that Grace to me.
O Who stays in Hall of Consciousness! One who is without end and without beginning
  please bestow my wish (of staying in your abode), come before me!

Siva and Sakti are concorporate in Saiva Siddhantam.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Dear i,

Here is the same verse in tamizh

உடையாள் உன்தன் நடுவிருக்கும் உடையாள் நடுவுள் நீயிருத்தி
அடியேன் நடுவுள் இருவீரும் இருப்பதானால் அடியேன்உன்
அடியார் நடுவுள் இருக்கும் அருளைப்புரி யாய் பொன்னம்பலத்தெம்
முடியா முதலே என்கருத்து முடியும் வண்ணம் முன்னின்
றே

udaiyAL unRan naduvirukkum udayAL naduvuL nee irutthi
adiyen naduvuL iruveerum iruppathAnAl adiyen un
adiyAr naduvuL irukkum aruLai puriyAi pon amabalathem
mudiya mudhale en karuthu mudiyum vaNNam muninRe.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 03:27:07 AM »
Sri Bhagavan never composed any poem  on Sakti, the Mother.   
But didn't Bhagavan compose 300 of the verses of the Umasarashranama by Ganapati Muni?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 01:50:50 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Sri Bhagavan, when Ganapati Muni had paucity of time and was nervous,  He helped Ganapati Muni to compose 300 slokas
of Uma Sahasram, by inspiring Muni at that point.  However, He asked finally the disciples, who were taking down the verses:
Is it all now complete?

Uma Sahasram is now published only in Ganapati Muni's name. Sri Bhagavan never claimed any ownership for the 300 verses,
inspired by Him.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
Is there any possibility to read Uma Sahasram in English?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

I found the book Uma Sahasram in Sri Ramanasram during my last visit in April 2012. I did not read inside the book.
It may be containing Sanskrit slokas with English meaning.  The price is Rs 363 plus courier charges.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 06:29:36 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

I found the book Uma Sahasram in Sri Ramanasram during my last visit in April 2012. I did not read inside the book.
It may be containing Sanskrit slokas with English meaning.  The price is Rs 363 plus courier charges.

Arunachala Siva.
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

Thank you very much - only problems are I live in Europe and have no credit card...  :(

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 06:32:05 PM »
Dear i,

you may listen/download to the Uma Sahasranaama chanted by MP Pandit in the following links:

http://www.infobuddhism.com/infobuddhism/Umasahasram%20Part%20I%20of%20II.mp3

http://www.infobuddhism.com/infobuddhism/Umasahasram%20Part%20II%20of%20II.mp3

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2012, 12:50:13 AM »
Even on His arrival at Arunachala, when He went inside the Temple, He only went to Arunachaleswara to say that He had
come as per His command. He did not visit Ummamulai Ammn shrine.
On the other hand Bhagavan visited the temple of Meenakshi.
Didn't he spend some time there before he went to Arunachala?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2012, 09:37:56 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

The biographers say that when Sri Bhagavan went to Meenakshi Temple, He spent time mostly with the idols of
63 Saints and prayed to God that He should have bhakti like those saints.

For your satisfaction, when He was still younger, in Tiruchuzhi, when someone in the house shouted at Him for some
mistake, He went to Sri Bhoomi Natha Swami Temple and stayed inside the sanctum of Sahayavalli Amman, the goddess
of the temple and remained for quite a good time, to remove His misery. The misery left and He experienced indescribable
happiness within.

One of the 108 Holy Names of Sri Bhagavan says:

SahayAmba sahAyavathe Namah |

Salutations to the One who received the help of Sahayamba |

Arunachala Siva.     

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:06:04 AM »
Friends,
It is interesting to see that Sri Bhagavan was all along taken care of by 'Mother' only in the various guises,as his Chitti(younger mother),as the younger sister of Muthukrishna Bhagavathar,as the peerless Mudaliar PAtti(Grandma),as EchammAl.Sri Bhagavan's devotion can be seen from this excerpt in 'The Letters from Sri Ramanasramam':
23rd November, 1945
(3) QUARREL BETWEEN UMA AND MAHESWARA
This afternoon, while Viswanath was sitting near Bhagavan along with other devotees, Bhagavan was somehow
reminded of an old widow and began to speak about her as follows: (I afterwards learnt that she is the younger sister of
Muthu Krishna Bhagavathar who received Sri Bhagavan with kindness and gave him food at Kilur Agraharam.) “That good
lady not only gave me a hearty meal, but also, with a loving heart, gave me a parcel of sweetmeats offered as naivedya
(offerings to God) to the household God, saying, ‘My dear boy, keep this with you carefully and eat the sweetmeats on
the way.’ She came to see me twice while I was in Virupaksha Cave and used to say, ‘My dear boy, look what a state you are
in! Your body is golden and you do not even wrap a cloth round it.’” When he spoke in this strain about her motherly
affection, I could see that Bhagavan was overflowing with love. His voice was choked with emotion.
That sight reminded me
of the saying that the heart of a Jnani is as soft as butter, and once more of the old saying, “bhakti poornathaya Jnanam” (The
culmination of devotion is knowledge). Sometime back, while reading that portion in Arunachala
Purana where Gautama was extolling Amba, Bhagavan’s eyes were flooded with tears, his voice faltered and he put the
book aside and sank into silence. Whenever any incident full of love takes place, or whenever passages saturated with
bhakti are read, we often see Bhagavan thus overwhelmed with emotion. As one goes on observing, one gets confirmed
in the view that prema and bhakti (devotion) are merely different aspects of jnana (knowledge).About a week ago, a story appeared in the magazine
Hindu Sundari under the heading “Paachikalu” (dice). It seems it was taken from the Skanda Purana. Once, even Parvati
and Parameswara succumbed to the quarrel-mongering of Narada. “Lakshmi and Vishnu play dice, so why not you?”
said Narada, and egged them on to play. Parvati was enthusiastic over the idea and persuaded Siva to play dice
with her. In the game, Siva lost and Parvati was puffed up with pride and spoke slightingly of him. That is the legend.
After reading it, Bhagavan, his heart full of bhakti, asked me, “Have you read this story?” When I said, “Yes,
Bhagavan,” he said with a voice choked with feeling, “The holy festival which is annually performed here on Sankaranti
day, deals mainly with this quarrel between Uma and Maheswara.”
You know, every year, the divine marriage festival is celebrated here and during those days, if anybody were to
speak about the festival in Sri Bhagavan’s presence, Bhagavan would usually remark with great feeling, “This is the
marriage festival of Father and Mother
.” You know the lives of Mahatmas are full of peculiar incidents. They express in
their faces whatever rasa (feeling) is appropriate to the occasion. But what can one say in the presence of the all
pervading vijnana rasa which integrates all the other rasas?"

The biographers say that when Sri Bhagavan went to Meenakshi Temple, He spent time mostly with the idols of
63 Saints and prayed to God that He should have bhakti like those saints.

For your satisfaction, when He was still younger, in Tiruchuzhi,

Subramanian,we need not satisfy anyone!We have to understand that Devotion is not an external thing and cannot be inferred from where one stood,what he embraced,whether he visited ApeethakuchAmbAL's sannidhi,etc.

What Jyothi has been pointing out is that this aspect of Sri Bhagavan 's devotion to the Divine Mother is little acknowledged.Why should he consent to build a temple on his mother's samadhi and install a MEru chakra there?
Without the worship of the Divine Mother,the Ramanasramam would not be existing today!We need to recall that it was Sri Bhagavan's mother who started the cooking of meals and this is what is continuing today in the form of welcoming Sadhus and devotees today.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:40 AM »
Dear i,

yes, there is no doubt about Bhagavan's special connection with 'Mother' at all times. Cow Lakshmi, He was so fond of her, he used to address her as amma, and, he used to say, that it is only because of her that ashramam has been sustained, and most of the cows today, i hear are her descendants. Like Adi Shankara charitham, Bhagavan's life too, gives a special place for 'Mother'

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta