Author Topic: Bhagawan's selection of one verse from Gita  (Read 2083 times)

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
Bhagawan's selection of one verse from Gita
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:25:12 PM »
Is this a true incident of selecting one verse from Gita? I know the part about 42 verses, which is correct.
-----------------------------------------------
Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi was speaking once with a visiting pandit about the great merits of the Bhagavad Gita, when a devotee complained that it was difficult to keep all the seven hundred verses in mind and asked if there was not one verse that could be remembered as the quintessence of the Gita. Bhagavan thereupon mentioned Chapter X, verse 20

Ahamaatmaa gudaakesha sarvabhootaashayasthitah;
Ahamaadishcha madhyam cha bhootaanaamanta eva cha.

Later he selected forty-two verses that follow (of which the above verse comes as fourth) and arranged them in an appropriate order to serve as guidance. He also prepared Tamil and Malayalam versions of these verses.
--------------------------------------------------
Salutations to Bhagawan

atmavichar100

• View Profile
Re: Bhagawan's selection of one verse from Gita
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
Bhagwan made an excellent compilation of 42 essential verses of Bhagwad Gita and once I took them to Swami Paramarthananda , the great Vedanta Teacher and he said those verses were selected that had  "I, Self" as the main topic but only a mature aspirant  can understand that and for the novice it is best to study the regular Bhagawad Gita before he reads that small but highly potent Bhagawan's collection .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha