Author Topic: How to find your Guru?  (Read 3169 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
How to find your Guru?
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:04:44 PM »
For those who were not lucky enough to meet Bhagavan and become his disciple:
How does one find one's Guru?
Did Bhagavan say something about this?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How to find your Guru?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Sri Bhagavan is the ever living Guru.  It is enough if you sincerely pray to Him with a photo of His and also do self enquiry.

If possible, make a visit to Sri Ramanasramam and sit at the Samadhi Hall or Old Hall silently and you can see His Presence
emitting His Grace if one is sincere in his prayers.

Arunachala Siva.     

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:58:52 PM »
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

Did Bhagavan ever say something about meditation about his picture?
Did he himself recommend this?
Did he say that he would help those in search for liberation even after his death?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:18:22 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

He did not specifically say so. But people like
Arthur Obsorne had kept a picture of Sri Bhagavan when he was far away in Kolkata and prayed to Hu im.
Wolter Keers after a brief visit went back to his country and prayed to His photograph and got self realized.

The fact that Sri Bhagavan permitted a  number of photographs of Him but He did not want His speeches to be
recorded. This is an indication for people who prefer meditation with form will be helped by His photoraph. His Speech
was Silence hence no recording was permitted.

Arunachala Siva.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 08:33:24 AM »
Very informative thread. I had the same question in my mind in fact :). Thanks.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 02:01:04 AM »
Wolter Keers after a brief visit went back to his country and prayed to His photograph and got self realized.
Who is Wolter Keers?

When I focus on a picture of Bhagavn and repeat "Deham - Naham - Koham - Soham" is this enough?
Can I alternate between "Deham - Naham - Koham - Soham" and repetition of "Arunachala Shiva"?

What is better: A picture of Bhagavan or a picture of Arunachala mountain?

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 06:54:55 AM »
Jyoti,
Here are a couple of excerpts from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna,where we understand how Holy association is helpful in kindling devotion to God or the Guru:

"It was almost dusk when most of the devotees, including Narendra, took leave of the
Master. Sri Ramakrishna went out and looked at the Ganges for a few minutes from the
west porch. Two priests were bathing in preparation for the evening worship. Young men
of the village were strolling in the garden or standing on the concrete embankment, gazing
at the murmuring river. Others, perhaps more thoughtful, were walking about in the
solitude of the Panchavati.
It became dark. The maidservant lighted the lamp in Sri Ramakrishna's room and burnt
incense. The evening worship began in the twelve temples of Siva and in the shrines of
Krishna and Kali.
As it was the first day after the full moon, the moonlight soon flooded the tops of the trees
and temples, and touched with silver the numberless waves of the sacred river.
The Master returned to his room. After bowing to the Divine Mother, he clapped his hands
and chanted the sweet names of God. A number of holy pictures hung on the walls of the
room. Among others, there were pictures of Dhruva, Prahlada, Kali, Radha-Krishna, and
the coronation of Rama. The Master bowed low before the pictures and repeated the holy
names. Then he repeated the holy words, "Brahma-Atma-Bhagavan; Bhagavata-Bhakta-
Bhagavan; Brahma-Sakti, Sakti-Brahma; Veda, Purana, Tantra, Gita, Gayatri." Then he
said: "I have taken refuge at Thy feet, O Divine Mother; not I, but Thou. I am the machine
and Thou art the Operator", and so on."

"Master:(Pointing to Mani Mallick) "There is no picture of a holy man at his house. Divine feeling
is awakened through such pictures."
MANILAL: "Yes, there is. In one room there is a picture of a pious Christian woman
engaged in prayer. There is another picture in which a man holds to the Hill of Faith; below
is an ocean of immeasurable depth. If he gives up his hold on faith, he will drop into the
bottomless water. There is still a third picture. Several virgins are keeping vigil, feeding
their lamps with oil in expectation of the Bridegroom. A sleeping virgin is by their side.
She will not behold the Bridegroom when He arrives. God is described here as the
Bridegroom."
MASTER (smiling): "That's very nice."
MANILAL: "I have other pictures too-one of the 'Tree of Faith' and another of 'Sin and
Virtue'."
MASTER (to Bhavanath): "Those are good pictures. Go to his house and see them."

You may keep the pictures of Arunachala and Sri Bhagavan.Try reading 'Letters from Sri Ramanasramam' and you will come to feel the Presence as devotion deepens.
We cannot find the Guru;if we can,the matter ends.Nothing more is needed!It is the Guru who finds us and we can only prepare ourselves by staying open in a spirit of Trust and Love.
Sri Ramakrishna says:
"An egotistic person cannot realize God. Do you know what egotism is like? It is like a
high mound, where rain-water cannot collect: the water runs off. Water collects in low land.
There seeds sprout and grow into trees. Then the trees bear fruit
."
Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Wolter Keers was a Dutch teacher and writer who had already adequate knowledge about Hindu Yoga methods and Advaita.
He came to Sri Bhagavan in early 1950s and stayed in the Asramam until a few days before Sri Bhagavan's Maha Samadhi,.
His encounter with Sri Bhagavan was always in silence and there were only a few word exchanged.

He says: The first time I saw Sri Bhagavan, even at a distance, I immediately recognized that this was the Being I had been looking
for all my life. My immediate experiences in His Presence, cemented that conviction. As I sat before Him, I became aware of an all
penetrating, all conquering love that nothing in me was able to resist. ....I was repeatedly struck by jolting, shuddering, mind
dissolving bolts of lightning, you will get a better idea of just how powerful His Presence was....Though He did not condemn me or criticize my efforts, there was something about His Presence that gave me a total shift of perspective.  As Sri Bhagavan's cleansing gaze ate
away my concepts, I felt I could hear Him saying, with astonishment, 'How could you have been misled into believing that you had an
ego and that this ego had any importance? ..... Tenderly, lovingly He showed me how I had brought all my problems on myself. Then radiating His loving kindness, He showed me the truth, the place of happiness where such ignorant ideas did not arise,. This approach left me in a state of utter amazement. I came to Sri Bhagavan to help me climb a mountain, and Sri Bhagavan showed  me that  the
mountain did not exist at all in the first place.

Wolter Keers returned quite blissfully to his home country and continued his practice and one evening, after a simple tea with
his friends and bidding them good bye, he fell like a stick and prostrated to Sri Bhagavan's photo and never rose again.

One can pray to Sri Bhagavan's photo or the Hill's photo, There is no difference.

Arunachala Siva,                   

S.Subramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 01:21:35 PM »
Ramana Maharshi has categorically stated that a Jnani continues to be a Guru even after his body's death.  This we can find in 'Day by Day with Bhagavan'.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 01:49:34 PM »
Dear S. Subramanian,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan is a ever living Guru. But for those who cannot stay in Tiruvannamalai and have daily darshan of His Samadhi,
the second best alternative is to invoke Him through His photograph. Or Hill's photograph.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:38:19 PM »
Dear i,

i was listening in tv somebody talking about Manickavachakar, where he went on quoting some verse (i do not remember, unfortunately) that, you will know you have found your Guru like how a butter, in the presence of fire, begins to melt, in the same way, when we are near our Guru, our inner space, heart from within will melt in having see the Kaarunyam of that Guru.

one will feel certain things like Romancham, sudden thril, tears of Joy, you will be like a baby before him, you will feel safe, you will feel like your Guru  caressing you within, the heart. Sudden spill of love, compassion, you would want to share with somebody, but you will not be able to explain what it is.

A Guru can be anything, it could be the God your worship, it could be Bhagavan, he need not be in physical form, he could be some person whom you have utmost respect towards.

When you do find your Guru, you will know you have found your Guru, there is no way, you will not know, you have not found your Guru. it will be like 1000 suns glowing, which you can never get to miss, even if your eyes are closed!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:41:26 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:49:44 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Saint Manikkavachagar had guru darshan in more than one place. First in Tiruperundurai. Then in Tirukazhuk gunRam.
In the second place, (Song 30 of Tiruvachakam) he says in Verse 6:

kAdhalAl unai odha nee vandhu
kAttinai kazhuk kunRile....

Arunachala Siva.

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Wolter Keers was a Dutch teacher and writer who had already adequate knowledge about Hindu Yoga methods and Advaita.
He came to Sri Bhagavan in early 1950s and stayed in the Asramam until a few days before Sri Bhagavan's Maha Samadhi,.
His encounter with Sri Bhagavan was always in silence and there were only a few word exchanged.

He says: The first time I saw Sri Bhagavan, even at a distance, I immediately recognized that this was the Being I had been looking
for all my life. My immediate experiences in His Presence, cemented that conviction. As I sat before Him, I became aware of an all
penetrating, all conquering love that nothing in me was able to resist. ....I was repeatedly struck by jolting, shuddering, mind
dissolving bolts of lightning, you will get a better idea of just how powerful His Presence was....Though He did not condemn me or criticize my efforts, there was something about His Presence that gave me a total shift of perspective.  As Sri Bhagavan's cleansing gaze ate
away my concepts, I felt I could hear Him saying, with astonishment, 'How could you have been misled into believing that you had an
ego and that this ego had any importance? ..... Tenderly, lovingly He showed me how I had brought all my problems on myself. Then radiating His loving kindness, He showed me the truth, the place of happiness where such ignorant ideas did not arise,. This approach left me in a state of utter amazement. I came to Sri Bhagavan to help me climb a mountain, and Sri Bhagavan showed  me that  the
mountain did not exist at all in the first place.

Wolter Keers returned quite blissfully to his home country and continued his practice and one evening, after a simple tea with
his friends and bidding them good bye, he fell like a stick and prostrated to Sri Bhagavan's photo and never rose again.

One can pray to Sri Bhagavan's photo or the Hill's photo, There is no difference.

Arunachala Siva,                   

Here is a small interview with Wolter Keers.
http://www.stillnessspeaks.com/images/uploaded/file/Wolter%20Keers%20PDF.pdf
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 09:49:52 PM »
When I sit before a picture of Bhagavan and try Atma Vichara, I always notice that I rather ask Bhagavan 'Who am I?' that directing the question to myself.
Is this wrong?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 11:38:24 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

No harm. Sri Bhagavan will in due course tell you: That is the question I want you to ask yourself!

Arunachala Siva.