Author Topic: Musings on Karma  (Read 1190 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Musings on Karma
« on: April 23, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »
I happened to visit a restaurant to have a cup of coffee. There happened to be two top officials of a company, who were discussing amongst themselves about couple of projects, project a worth 60 crore and project b worth about 180 crore, and they were discussing about ways of perhaps winning the project and working it out with optimal resources. There were discussing very passionately. This triggered in me some thought about Karma itself.

It has become a fashion to say, continue doing your karma, things will fall in place. Gita has come into vogue for Management studies and so on. Gita is now been used to study how to generate optimal solution with minimal resources and how to keep the employees happy.

How lost the world is, i felt, in the name of karma, gita and Krishna, people have begun to take it as a licence granted by Krishna himself, using this theory as Karma for their own selfish ends.

What is the use in blindly following the karma theory, "just keep working" what does that mean? it is a senseless understanding. And, people continue to work with mad passion, trying to win over the peers in promotion and accumulating money, investments and planning retirement life as well, and, in between, they make stray contributions to some beggars and perhaps at most sponsoring some children promoted by the companies themselves, to bring some 'human touch' in their endeavor of maximisation of profits, trying to pose as if they are not all into money. In the end, people don't forget to praise their success to Krishna and Gita as well. They remember Krishna and owe it all to him?

What is there is all this? i felt, what is there anything about karma in this?

Karma is secluded with only working, duty. and people have only one verse of Krishna memorized ie., Karmanyevadhikaraste... we have rights only to act but no rights over its fruits. blindly keeping only this verse, people work, blindly.

But, this has to be really understood collectively, karma is not just doing work, doing ones duty, one has to open up. What is ones duty? Scriptures talk about Swadharma. So, Karma is directly related to ones Swadharma. But, people think they have rights to decide what their Swadharma is, that is to work, amas wealth, do some minor dharma, go to temples, do some sevas for the God, and they feel their duties is done, impressively they too look contended, i wonder how long, would this last.

No matter in which station of life one may be. Be it, working anywhere. Ones Swadharma includes the Pancha Mahayajna -

Devayajna- worship of the gods (devas) through the twilight prayers (sandhya), aupasana, and agnihotra
Pitryajna- offering libations to ancestors or pitrs
Bhutayajna- offering food ("bali") to animals taking care of animals, trees, etc...
Manushyayajna- charitable offerings of food to fellow humans
Brahmayajna- recitation of a section of one's Veda ("br√°hman") in rotation, taking care of nature

This is what truly constitutes when one refers as 'Karma' not ones going to work, doing ones office work sincerely, not this, of-course one has to be sincere. But, how can a karma be complete without considering ones duty towards the nature? towards the animals, trees, humans? devotees who were living with Bhagavan or Ramakrsihnar, were some how connected with the nature, even though they engaged in deep spiritual practices. One has to contribute to the nature. Nature gives us vegetables and spices and rice, and we give money in exchange? we feel as though we have done our duty. We have karma towards the nature, this comes first.

Only when one does Karma, which is all inclusive (Pancha maha Yajnas) it becomes complete, the soul is felt, the contentment is really felt. Not this Karma that people talk about!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 05:51:42 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Musings on Karma
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 12:14:01 AM »
well said nagaraj garu.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:29 AM »
Nagaraj sir - Words of wisdom from you again. Cannot agree more or put this in better sense.
Salutations to Bhagawan

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:59:19 AM »
Reminds me of the story when a group of "social workers" came to visit Sri Bhagawan and told him : "Dont you see the pain and suffering around. Why dont you stand up and do some karma to rectify all these like us instead of sitting down there?". Sri Bhagawan smiled and said : "I dont see anything around other than me myself. Where is the suffering and pain to be rectified by Karma?". Visitors said : "Come on, we are seeing it". Bhagawan said : "As long as you are seeing please go ahead and do Karma to rectify those. But please leave me alone" :).

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »

Have all these social karmas changed India? No. Today we see more huts, more slum dwellers. Just because one boy gets 10 billion in the quiz, does the entire Daravi slum get changed? One can do karmas to some extent without any sense of doership. But social karmas,
cannot solve the problem.

Arunachala Siva.     

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:20:11 PM »
But social karmas,
cannot solve the problem.

Yes, Subramanian sir. Simply because as Bhagawan says there is no problem to be solved :). Or like my favorite satsang guru Nochur Anna says "Who told you all these are YOUR duty?"
Salutations to Bhagawan