Author Topic: Making a Difference  (Read 10613 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Making a Difference
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

There is a Zen story. One day, a young boy came into the monastery and asked the Chief Monk, to give him some work and also
food. The Chief Monk asked him: What have you read? What work can you do? What do you know?

The boy replied: I have not read in school. I have no proficiency in any work excepting some stray jobs like washing food plates,
cleaning up the cottage etc., I do not know anything else.

The Chief Monk asked: Are you sure you do not know anything else?

The young boy replied: Oh, yes, Sir, now I remember. I can play good Chess.

The Chief Monk said: Oh that is good. Now I shall test you in your game.

He asked another monk to come with chess board and coins and asked a table to be placed so that the game could start.

Before start of the game, the Chief Monk said: Now see, I have a sword on my hand. If any one of you is defeated, his nose
will be severed.

The boy became nervous. However, without any other way to go, he agreed.

The game started. Initially, the boy made some mistakes in moves. His position on the board became almost hopeless.
He then concentrated completely on the game and improved the position to a winning level. Then he looked at the monk
sitting opposite and playing. He was not quite nervous but obviously disturbed a little.  The boy then  thought, "I am a useless fellow in life. Nothing will change the world if I lose the game  and lose my nose. But this monk, is well read person, doing meditation and
is sure to attain Buddhahood.  Why should he lose?

So the young boy deliberately made a wrong move, so that the monk sitting opposite could take advantage and win the game!

The Chief Monk suddenly flashed his sword on the table. All the coins flew into different directions.

He then said: The game is over. Oh boy you are IN. You will be with us in the monastery hereafter.

The boy did not understand.

The Chief Monk explained: "I did not ask you to play chess to find out your caliber in the game. But I was looking for two
essential qualities that are necessary for Buddhistic practice and self realization. One is Maha Prajna. The Great Awareness..
I found that in you. When your game became positionally bad, you put your entire concentration and attention on the game
and improved your game. This is Maha Prajna. The second is Maha Karuna - The Great Compassion. I found that also in you.
When your opponent was about to lose the game, you looked at him with great compassion and deliberately made a wrong
mistake so that he could win.

These two qualities are adequate to do sadhana. You are IN.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
Beautiful.
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:13 AM »
A friend was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset. As he walked along, he began to see another man in the distance. As he grew nearer, he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean. As my friend approached even closer, he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had washed up on the beach, and, one at a time, he was throwing them back into the water. My friend was puzzled.

He approached the man and said. "Good evening, friend. I was wondering what you are doing."

"I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all of these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they'll die up here from lack of oxygen."

"I understand," my friend replied, "but there must be thousands of starfish on this beach. You can't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many. And don't you realize this is probably happening on hundreds of beaches all up and down this coast. Can't you see that you can't possibly make a difference?"

The local native smiled, bent down and picked up yet another starfish, and as he threw it back into the sea, he replied, "Made a difference to that one!"

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Excellent. I am reminded of Sri Bhagavan picking up the mustard seeds that had fallen on the kitchen floor and putting them
back again into the box, after cleaning each one of  them with His towel.

Arunachala Siva.