Author Topic: Making a Difference  (Read 7368 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Making a Difference
« on: April 21, 2012, 04:13:34 PM »
Dear Friends,

I am opening this thread, where we all can get inspired and share among-st, ourselves, and and others, by making some difference in the environment that we live in. Let our spiritual quest not be an inert one. Let our quest be inclusive of our responsibilities towards the nature and all human beings around us.

Let us share here, our good stories in our lives. I sincerely hope, each one would take initiative to make this thread successful and the beautiful words, just don't remain as words, beautiful words become beautiful when it becomes our beautiful actions.

Gratitude to the Mother Nature.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Making a Difference
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »
Dear i,

It has always pained me much for many years, losing connectivity with the nature. We have all become inert and everybody just concerned about themselves and at most their families and loved ones.

I am an animal lover. i see so many dogs and cows move around in the roads. The summer peaking, this time very badly, THANKS TO OURSELVES (HUMAN SPECIES)

The animals too are disturbed, because of the ecological imbalance, if it had mouth, they would have gone and complained in world court against us humans. Bhagavan was a great animal lover. more than atma jnanam and the literatures, i always enjoyed reading Bhagavan's love and incidents towards the animals. Once when some attendant got angry at some monkeys, and when he tried to push the monkeys off by throwing some stones, Bhagavan got angry and said, these lands were originally belonged to them, only we have occupied and claims all these as ours. If they too had voice, they would put their claim as well.

He used to address the monkeys as "Pasangala" (kids) the cow as "amma" (mother, a way of addressing all women in India) the squirrels as "kuttigala" (?) etc...

seeing so many animals thirsty, going  around looking for water here and there, and not finding, used to just sit down and rest, what other option does it have, can it order water for money? Who does it have to complain or ask for water? who is there to listen for it? i felt strongly felt, i could do something.

I placed this small bucket under the tree next to my house. Within a day, the crows, dogs, rats, and many other unknown animals have been drinking it. It gave me such immense bliss. hence I wondered, how nice it would be, if many other too, could do the same in their place, which is why i am sharing it here with you all here. It would be great if you could also do something to our other friends in the nature.

Also, other thing that I do is put raw rice, dal, wheat seeds, on my windows, many pigeons, crows, etc... are now regular visitors for their lunch :)

By this way, it indirectly helps in our Sadhana too, instead of just thinking about ourselves, our family, we begin to think about the animals as well. Just do it, you will enjoy :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:25:25 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »
Dear i,

as i was writing here, a thirsty cow was walking, along with her caretaker, he was frantically looking for water to feed his cow, God blessing, i got an opportunity to call him, and filled a huge bucket of water, within no time, the cow gulped the whole bucket of of water and walked ahead, it was contended. No thanks asked, no thanks given! I remember Cow Lakshmi.

Bliss. Bliss.

just do it, once, you will enjoy, you will like it.

The advantage of helping animals automatically comes with a baggage of not being helped by it, unlike helping humans, so it is a great feeling.

:)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 05:32:36 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 10:04:40 PM »
Nagaraj,
Wonderful to read your posts.Reminds me about the practice of feeding crows first thing after cooking food.What a joy to hear the crows caw and invite other crows for the feast.Offering water to thirsty animals and birds is an immensely satisfying experience.
Swamiji used to say:They only live who live for others;others are more dead than alive!
Namaskar.

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 03:29:22 PM »
Very true. But I always ask myself : "Who is becoming happy with any charity that I do?". Is it not my ego? Since what I am is same as what any other animal or human is - it must be that entity which feels like doing something good - who is feeling happy with any goodness I do. Is it not the gold chain / iron chain principle?

Sorry - I am not saying we should not do these. But feeling happy about any charity does not sound good for me. Because that is the gold chain part of egoic mind.
Salutations to Bhagawan

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 05:24:49 PM »
yes well said ganesh garu. I agree with you.

Charity to satisfy ego or for fame,pride does not do good..

As bhagavad gita says though mode of goodness is appreciable but it conditions one to happiness.

So we need to raise above the 3 gunas else we may end up as another social worker who will be working for welfare of other humans,plants,animals..

But because we are born human and because emotion called "compassion" is necessary even in the case of bhagavan who fed many plants,animals i.e treated all as brahman so charity is necessary though it should be done thinking we are not the doer which can be achieved by our daily self enquiry sadhana.

Getting rid of pride,ego,anger totally is not possible for humans is my personal opinion and we can only try our level best.

take for example udai garu of our forum. He has been associated with this forum and bhagavan teachings for many years and all of a sudden one day he leaves saying people are misunderstanding him. Now the question is why did not he apply self enquiry formula here and asked himself "to whom ...." ? 

As bhagavan once said

When I was staying in the Skandasramam I sometimes used to go out and sit on a rock. On one such occasion there were two or three others with me including Rangaswami Iyengar. Suddenly we noticed some small moth-like insect shooting up like a rocket into the air from a crevice in the rock. Within the twinkling of an eye it had multiplied itself into millions of moths which formed a cloud and hid the sky from view. We wondered at it and examined the place from which it shot up. We found that it was only a pinhole and knew that so many insects could not have issued from it in such a short time. That is how ahankara (ego) shoots up like a rocket and instantaneously spreads out as the Universe.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 06:19:16 PM »
Dear all,

All charities are good provided such acts do not bloat one's ego. Tirumular says that its is possible for everyone to give a fistful grass
to cows. The crow is one bird which calls other crows to share the food.

Arunachala Siva.   

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
Friends,
What is wrong about  feeling happy in seeing that the needs of other beings are met?He who finds happiness in other's happiness is doing genuine Sadhana even if he is not conscious of doing Sadhana!Where did 'Charity' come in?Why are we equating happiness and satisfaction  with Pride?Why shy away from 'Doing Good' out of a  False Fear of courting Pride?Are we better off by avoiding these things(seems to be a convenient option!)?
Why do we do Self enquiry?What is the need?
Happiness is the very reason why we do sadhana.This is what sri Bhagavan clearly says in his very opening Paragraph of 'naan yaar'(Who am I)that all beings are after 'Sukam' only.

Namaskar.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 06:48:12 PM »
Dear Ravi,

I shall give you one simple example how charity bloats the ego. In some temples, including Big Temple, Tiruvannamalai, on the
mercury tube light, there is an inscription that so and so Mudlaiar or so and so Chettiar or so and so Iyer had donated the tube
light. This inscription hides half of the light from that mercury tube light.

Arunachala Siva.         

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »
Dear Ravi sir

What is wrong about  feeling happy in seeing that the needs of other beings are met?

Nothing wrong. But any Karma breeds attachment - be it good karma or bad karma. Attachment to good karma for gaining happiness is gold chain to samsara. Attachment to bad karma for gaining happiness is iron chain. Anyone can choose which chain they want - but gold chain is much stronger as a great enlightened guru "Poonthanam Namboothiri" in Kerala says. Gold chains will cause many more rebirths he says in a poem than iron chain. As you are saying "the need to make others happy for deriving one's happiness" is gold chain. Bhagawan himself gives a classic answer to this when a group of social workers met him to invite him to do good work and charity.
Salutations to Bhagawan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »
Sanjaya,
"As you are saying "the need to make others happy for deriving one's happiness" is gold chain."
We have to find the truth for ourselves.We cannot live on borrowed thoughts that this is 'Gold Chain' or this is 'Iron Chain',etc.Karma need not bind.Do we mean to say that we can  do away with Karma?Can Karma be avoided?Does it mean that all we are doing otherwise do not bind?Which category do they belong to?
I am not saying that one's happiness has to 'depend' on making others happy.I am saying that taking happiness in other's happiness is an unparalleled sadhana.In fact true happiness is only this.
Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 08:31:24 PM »
Friends,

They alone live who live for others, the rest are more dead than alive.-Swami Vivekananda

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
Friends,
Verses from the Great tamizh Sage thAyumAnavar's parAprak kanni:

எவ்வுயிரும் என்னுயிர்போல் எண்ணி யிரங்கவும்நின்
தெய்வ அருட்கருணை செய்யாய் பராபரமே

Grant me Thy Divine Grace To consider all life as my life
And so commiserate in sympathy, Oh Para Param!

எல்லாரும் இன்புற் றிருக்க நினைப்பதுவே
அல்லாமல் வேறொன் றறியேன் பராபரமே

All that I wish is All should in bliss be.
Nothing else do I know,Oh Para Param!

It is a sure sign of spiritual  progress that we are sensitive to the needs of others and take delight in other's happiness.
Namaskar.

latha

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:56 PM »
Sanjaya ji, Friends,

My limited understanding is, what binds one is not the karma but the bhava of doership. There is no bondage if one realizes that "doing" something is only possible with the grace of God. An example given to me by a Swamiji is, we think we cook - did we make the rice grains, vegetables etc.,? did we become fire and cook the food? all that we did is put some things together and feel we have done this big task of cooking and making food. If we think on this vein, are we really raising our children by ourselves? can we be productive at home or work by ourselves? If we can work with this correct understanding then the Self/Bhagavan will guide us in the right path without any conflict. How can I  fix the world when I am operating as my ego? Bhagavan Ramana, by living his teachings is helping so many to achieve the highest goal of realizing the Self.

Thank you for the satsangha and an opportunity to learn from all your experiences.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:28:01 PM »
Exceptional topic, Sri Nagarajji! ! !
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html