Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200267 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #915 on: May 16, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
Dear Ravi,

Thanks for your posting the exact account of Vasudeva Sastri story, as
recorded by Suri Nagamma. My diificulty is that I did not bring any literature
of Sri Bhagavan, here to this place, excepting Stuti Panchakam and I had to
post all incidents only out of memory for the past 4 weeks and it may be so
for another 4 weeks.  Hence the incorrect posting with reference to time and
place of such incidents.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #916 on: May 17, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
1st January, 1946 (18) LEOPARDS AND SNAKES
The other day I learnt of one more incident in Bhagavan's life on the hill and so I am writing to you about it. When Bhagavan was living in Virupaksha Cave, the roar of a leopard was heard from the place where drinking water was available nearby. By the time the scared devotees had gathered some plates and drums in order to make a noise and drive the leopard away, it had drunk the water it required and gone away with one more roar. Bhagavan looked at those frightened devotees and said to them in an admonishing tone, 'Why do you worry so much? The leopard intimated to me by the first roar that she was coming here. After drinking water she told me by another roar that she was going. She went her own way. She never meddled with your affairs. Why are you so scared? This mountain is the home of these wild animals, and we are their guests. That being so, is it right on your part to drive them away?' Perhaps with the intention of relieving them of their fears, Bhagavan added, 'A number of siddha purushas(holy beings) live on this mountain. It is perhaps with a desire to see me that they come and go, assuming various shapes. Hence, you see it is not right for you to disturb them.'
From that time onwards, the leopard used to come frequently to that place to drink. Whenever the roar was heard, Bhagavan used to say, 'There you are! The leopard
is announcing her arrival.' Then again he used to say, 'The leopard announces her departure.' In this manner he used to be quite at ease with all the wild animals.
One devotee asked Bhagavan whether it is true that, when living on the mountain, he was friendly with snakes, and one snake crawled over his body, one climbed up his leg and so on. In reply, Sri Bhagavan said: 'Yes, it is true. A snake used to come to me in all friendliness. It used to try to crawl on my leg. At its touch my body used to feel as though it was tickled, so I withdrew my leg; that is all. That snake used to come of its own accord and go away.'

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam-Suri Nagamma
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:25:52 AM by Ravi.N »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: May 17, 2015, 07:35:34 AM »
18th January, 1946 (25) BABY CHEETAHS
About a year ago, some person who was rearing two baby cheetahs brought them into Bhagavan's presence. When they were fondled and given milk, not only did they move freely amongst the people in the hall, but they got on to the sofa with Bhagavan's welcome and slept soundly thereon.
One of the Ashram devotees took a photo of that unusual group. From about 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Bhagavan confined himself to one end of the sofa keeping the cubs on the sofa in the same position all the time. They woke up afterwards and were there till about 4 p.m., moving about freely in the hall. Once again, before Bhagavan went up the hill at the usual time, photos were taken with the cheetah cubs on the sofa and also on the table in front of the sofa. They were published in the Sunday Times later.
The wonder of it was that even the cheetah cubs lay down happily on the sofa, overpowered by sleep induced by the touch of Bhagavan's hands. While they were there, the squirrels came and ate nuts and the sparrows came and ate broken rice, as usual. In olden days, when animals and birds of all sorts moved about together without enmity in any place,
people used to think that it was perhaps a Rishi Ashram. There are stories like this related in the Puranas. But here we see the same thing before our very eyes. When I read out to Bhagavan yesterday's incident about the pigeons, and the worship of the cow, Bhagavan said, 'Many similar things often happened here previously. But who was there to record them at that time?'
When the first edition of this book (in Telugu) came out and was being read in the presence of Bhagavan, one of the devotees who heard the above story said, addressing him, 'Is it a fact that when you were in Pachiamman Koil somebody got frightened and ran away from an approaching tiger there?' Bhagavan said, "Yes, yes! When I was there, Rangaswami Iyengar used to come off and on. One day, when he went to answer calls of nature it seems he saw a tiger in a bush. When he tried to drive her away by shouting, she replied by a mild roar. His body shook with terror and getting up involuntarily from where he sat, he began running towards me gasping for breath, and shouting at the top of his voice, 'Oh, Bhagavan! Ramana! Ramana!' I happened to come out for some work and so met him. When I asked him what all his fright was about, he said imploringly, 'Ayyo, tiger, tiger! Come, Swami, we must go into the temple and close all the doors, otherwise she will come in. Why don't you
come?' I said, laughing, 'Let us wait and see. Where is the tiger? It is nowhere.' Pointing towards the bush he said, 'There it is in that bush.' I said, 'You wait here. I will go and see.' When I went there and saw, there was no tiger. Still, he could not shed his fear. I assured him that it was a harmless animal and there was no need to be afraid, but he would not believe me. Another day, while I was sitting on the edge of the tank opposite the temple, that tiger came to drink water, and without any fear, roamed about for a while looking at me, and went its way. Iyengar, however, observed all this, hiding himself in the temple. He was afraid of what might happen to me. After the tiger left, I went into the temple and relieved him of his fear saying, 'Look! What a mild animal it is! If we threaten it, it will attack us. Not otherwise.' I thus
dispelled his fears. We too were not there for long after that," said Bhagavan.

Letters from Sri Ramanasramam-Suri Nagamma
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 07:39:25 AM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: May 17, 2015, 10:29:58 AM »
Once in the Old Hall, a devotee was singing a song from Sri Ramana Stuti Panchakam
of Sri Venkatarama Iyer. Another devotee asked Sri Bhagavan who was this Venkatrama
Iyer and when he had come to Sri Bhagavan first and whether he had come again
thereafter. Sri Bhagavan replied: He had come once when we were in Virupaksha
Cave and he stayed for four days.  He wrote four songs, each on a day and the fifth
one he had composed from his place and sent it to us.  Thereafter he has not come
here. On one of the nights, Ramanatha Brahmachari and others sang and danced
kummi!

Satamangalam Venkatarama Iyer had only darsshan of Sri Bhagavan on those days
and he never came thereafter. His Panchakam comprises 1) Kalai Pattu, 2) Kummi
Pattu, 3) Ponnolir Pathu, 4) Ponnaiyotha Pathu, and 5) Sri Ramana Sadguru .
These five songs are chanted on Saturdays' evening parayana. Apart from Sri
Bhagavan's works, these are the only songs of a devotee that are being chanted.

Incidentally Sri Ramana Stuti Panchakam were written even earlier than Sri
Bhagavan's Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: May 18, 2015, 07:20:58 AM »
Mr. McIver and Roda McIver came to the Asramam to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan
and be in His presence. They continued to stay in Tiruvannamalai. While Roda was
completely in peace in Sri Bhagavan's presence, Mr. McIver found that something
was wanting. He wanted Bhagavan to exhibit some siddhic powers, which could
not be had at any cost,from Sri Bhagavan.  He also wanted Him to confer him
pada diksha etc., which Bhagavan never would give. So he wanted to go to some
other 'guru.'

He went to deep south in Tamizh Nadu and met one sadu. That sadhu was only
with Bhagavan as attendant! He misdirected McIver by siddhic powers like bringing
out vibhuti and kumkum from his empty palm and he held two spoons of rice
and closed his palm and when he opened it, the rice got cooked and he showed
cooked rice! McIver was enamored by such feats.  In one of his trips to Tiruvannamalai,
he wanted to drag Arthur Osborne also to come and see this guru. Osborne politely
refused. McIver went back to his 'guru' angry. He must have reported this to his
'guru'.

After some time, when Osborne was, on an evening, watering the plants
in his  garden, he suddenly felt that some 'object' or 'an animal' suddenly jumped
on to his back and and sat heavily.  Osborne was not afraid but became curious.
He continued chanting Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva, though he felt uncomfortable
with the object on his neck and back.  The object became heavier in a few minutes.
He felt he would be crushed soon.  However, he continued watering the plants
and also simultaneously chanting the maha mantra. After some time, the
animal vacated the neck.  Osborne felt relieved. On thinking later about the
incident, Osborne knew, by hunch that, that must be the work of McIver's
'guru'. 

Next day, he reported this to Bhagavan.  Bhagavan said:  'They will do only
such things.  Do not worry.'

Osborne continued to chant the mantra whenever possible, as he  knew then
that the mantra was the elixir for overcoming any such problems/dangers.

Arunachala Siva. 

« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:25:08 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: May 18, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Once a lady (Princess Prabhavati Raje ) brought two nice rose garlands for Sri Bhagavan.
This she brought when she had come after her wedding and she had come with
her husband.  Perhaps, she did not know that Bhagavan did not wear anything not even rudraksha beads offered. Sri Bhagavan received the garlands, but asked them to
take them to the Mother's Shrine for adorning the Lingam. The princess and her
husband did namaskram to Sri Bhagavan. She placed the garlands on the sofa
and withdrew.

The lady was disappointed and was almost in tears  In a few minutes,
Kunju Swami drew her attention to Bhagavan.  The lady saw Him munching
a few rose petals that had fallen on the sofa, when the garland was submitted!
The lady became quite happy.

(since corrected)

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 04:15:06 PM by Subramanian.R »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: May 18, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »
Princess Prabhavati Raje, immediately after her marriage, came with her husband to receive blessings from Bhagwan. She brought two beautiful rose garlands and along with her husband wanted to place them around the neck of Sri Bhagwan. Such things were strictly forbidden. Yet, out of her intense love, she persisted in her request and took the garlands to Bhagwan who was seated on the couch. Bhagwan, while refusing the garlands, suggested : "Place them in the Shrine of the Mother". Prabhavati was disappointed and, before leaving, deposited the garlands on the couch as she bent low to prostrate. She got up, took the garlands and left the hall, bitterly crying. After some time, Sri Kunju Swami by way of consolation showed her from a distance a remarkable sight. Bhagwan was picking, one by one, the petals that had dropped from the garlands on the couch and was slowly putting them into His mouth one after the other ! Said Kunju Swami to the Princess: "Look! How lucky you are! You were disappointed that Bhagwan did not accept the rose garlands, but now your roses have served as His food. Is not this real acceptance?" She was immediately pleased and her tears of anguish turned into tears of joy!

'Moments Remembered'- by V. Ganesan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: May 18, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
Long before Rajkumari Prabhavati Raje got married she presented Bhagavan with a pair of bookends with a specific request that Bhagavan should keep them Himself and not give them away to the office or to any one else. Beside Bhagavan was a rotating bookshelf, and He often referred to the books kept there. Books were heaped above it also. Seeing this Prabhavati Raje brought the bookends and insisted that they should be used there. Years passed; she was married and had to live away from Bhagavan.
Those were the days of Bhagavan's bodily existence. Prabhavati came to offer her homage to her Beloved Master. She joined the long queue and waited for the darshan. Bhagavan was very weak but He insisted on giving darshan to devotees in spite of the medical advice against it. Each devotee could have only a glimpse of Him before moving on to make room for the next. When Prabhavati stood transfixed Bhagavan was compassionate enough to shower His gracious look on her and simultaneously He directed the look towards the inside of the room. Since she did not understand His gesture He took the trouble of raising His right hand (His left hand was afflicted by sarcoma) and stretched it towards the bookshelf or rather above the bookshelf. The bookends presented by her were there put to good use by Him though many years had rolled by. She was thrilled. How the Master fulfilled even the simplest wishes of the devotee! Not only that. The incident assumes greater importance when we take into account Bhagavan's very bad state of health and the effort it would have cost Him to move and point to the bookends. Prabhavati burst into tears and sobbed. Bhagavan blessed her profusely through His gracious look!

Moments remembered-V.Ganesan

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #923 on: May 18, 2015, 06:00:50 PM »
Sri Bhagavan's Compassion
The residents of Palakothu used to return to Palakothu from the Ashram every day around 11 a.m. Sri Bhagavan used to come to Palakothu around 11.30 a.m., after finishing his lunch. We used to wait for his darshan there. He would come and ask about our welfare like a Mother. We used to be overjoyed at his kind words. Every day I used to participate in the Tamil parayana done in his presence. There was hardly a day when I didn't talk to him. When the Ashram expanded and visitors increased, there were occasions when I could not speak to Sri Bhagavan. On those days I would deliberately leave out a line while chanting in his presence. Sri Bhagavan would immediately complete it for me. I used to feel happy that he had talked to me. If I copied something in my notebook, I would deliberately leave out a line. I knew Sri Bhagavan would make the correction in his own hand. I wanted Sri Bhagavan's handwriting to be in my notebook. I have done this several times. I treasure that notebook. I wanted to paste a picture of Arunachala hill in the notebook. I could not get it. Sri Bhagavan came to know of this and drew a picture of Arunachala. I consider it as an act of Grace. It is this picture that appears in the Mountain Path. The proofs of 'Ulladu Narpadu', 'Upadesa Undiyar' used to be given to Sri Bhagavan. If one or two pages were missing in them, he would write those in his own hand and make a book out of the proof sheets. He would have two or three like this. He would retain the one with the maximum number of mistakes and the rest he would give to us. 'These are enough for us. Where would we go for money to buy new books? Nobody will ask for these, nobody will steal these,' he would say.

Living with the Master-Kunju Swami
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:25:33 PM by Ravi.N »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:46 AM »
Mrs. Lucia Osborne was living with her children in Tiruvannamalai, while her husband
Mr. Arthur Osborne was in Siam.  Once Mrs. Osborne took her young daughter to
the Asramam, to have darshan of Sri Bhagavan. She told her to take the tray containing
fruits to Sri Bhagavan and he followed her. The young girl, Katy took the tray and entered
the Hall. There, she did not know how to submit the tray of fruits. Meantime, the devotees
who were sitting in the Hall were amused in seeing the young girl. 

Katy, not knowing what to do, simply sat on the stool in front of Sri Bhagavan,
with tray of fruits on her lap.  Sri Bhagavan smiled at her sitting and said,
laughingly, - ' She is offering herself to Bhagavan!'

Arunachala Siva. 

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #925 on: May 19, 2015, 07:57:51 PM »
Soon after our(Nagalakshmi, affectionately called Nagu, w/o Swami Ramananda) marriage, Aunt Alamelu and Uncle Pichu Iyer took Nagu to Sri Bhagavan for His Blessings.

When she came out of the old hall after Sri Bhagavan?s darshan, she saw a young woman, who had come from Madras with her parents. Nagu was impressed by the sari worn by that young lady, Mangalam by name and told her ?How beautiful is your sari!? Mangalam had later mentioned this to her father. On returning to Madras, he purchased two saris similar to the one admired by Nagu and sent them by parcel to Sri Ramanasramam with a request that the packet be given to Nagu. All letters addressed to the Ashram were invariably placed before Sri Bhagavan and so was this packet and the covering letter.

Next day, when Bhagavan saw Nagu at the Ashram kitchen, he said, ?Nagu, when you see someone wearing nice ornaments or a nice sari, you should think that you are wearing them.? Nagu, with her eyes moist and voice tremulous, said, ?Bhagavan, I did not ask for the sari, I only said that the sari was beautiful.? But Sri Bhagavan repeated His upadesa and moved on. From that day onward till her last moment 55 years later, Nagu never asked for anything from anybody. She found contentment to be the best of riches, thanks to Bhagavan?s gracious upadesa.

SWAMI RAMANANANDA, former President of Ramanashramam
from the mountain path
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: May 20, 2015, 08:31:25 AM »
Ramanatha Brahmachari, was a student of Veda patasala in the temple.
He came to see Sri Bhagavan, while He was in Virupaksha Cave. Even
at the first darshan, Ramanatha felt that his mind 'had slipped away and
Sri Bhagavan had captured his heart.' From that time, Ramanatha stood as
an ardent devotee of the Maharshi.  He also discarded his family. He composed
Sri Ramana Stotranubhuti.

After Sri Bhagavan moved to Skandasramam, Ramanatha continued his contact
with Him.  Bhagavan's Mother Azhagamma was fond of Ramanatha, and she used
to have some daily chores, like bringing vegetables, green for cooking, cleaning the
kitchen vessels etc., done by Ramanatha, since the lad was a simple and truthful
person and was a Brahmin. Ramanatha and Akhilandamma were two reliable
helpers for Mother.

Ramanatha's close relationshp with Sri Bhagavan continued even after Bhagavan
moving to the present Asramam. When the cow was brought from Gudiyatham,
by a devotee to be gifted to Asramam, Bhagavan was reluctant to take it.  It
was Ramanatha who offered to take care of the cow and Bhagavan finally agreed.
Ramanatha took care of Cow Laksmi, for some weeks, that is, before she was kept
in the custody of a cowherd, for her stay between nightfall and daybreak. With
construction of buildings including cowshed in the next few years, with Annamalai
Swami's supervision, Cow Lakshmi became the permanent of the Asramam.

Ramanatha was a short, puny person, wearing thick glasses for his myopia.
He was a tireless worker and also a Gandhian. He used spin khadi daily in his charka.
He also went to Vedaranyam for salt march.   

He took ill and went to Madras for treatment. HE passed away in 1946. On the
morning when the telegram was received informing his merger with Arunachala,
the Asramam devotees were chanting Sri Ramana Stotranubhuti of Ramanatha
Brahmachari! Bhagavan perused the telegram and said, 'Look, we are chanting
his poem and here is the news about him.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:41:47 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: May 21, 2015, 06:57:30 AM »
Ramanatha along with some other devotees were once going for giri pradakshina,
with Sri Bhagavan too accompanying them. It was agreed that each devotee should
talk on some spiritual subject for about half an hour, while walking. Ramanatha
wanted to begin.  He spoke about Chidambaram Nataraja compared with Sri
Bhagavan. He was speaking enthusiastically, with great fervor and the allotted time
of 30 minutes was over. He begged for extension and spoke for another 30 minutes.
Still it was not over. Thus he spoke for about 2 hours.

When Ramantha was helping Mother in Skandasramam, he used to take the
pot made of pumice stone (KAL CHATTI used in the early 20th century in South
Indian homes, for preparing sambhar etc.,) a little away to the bush and clean it
every day. He used to take quite a long time since he wanted to do a perfect job.
Mother used to call him, Ramanatha, Ramanatha two or three times in between
since it was getting late and Ramanatha used to reply, "I am coming, it is ready". 

Bhagavan used to enjoy these calls everyday and said it was a morning raga
of the day! 

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: May 22, 2015, 07:11:39 AM »
When the present Asramam was established on the foothills, some long term
resident devotees wanted to stay in the adjacent grove called Palakottu,
by building simple cottages. When devotees like Chadwick, Munagala were staying
there in the early years, Ramanatha was doing many odd chores for them.  He
used to go out and get provisions, vegetables and fruits from the town. Inside
the cottages, he used to clean the premises daily, clean the oil lamps, put a new
wick and oil and then light them in the evenings, wash cooking vessels etc., With
such good services,  Ramanatha would also take liberties with the devotees and tell
as to what they should do or what they should not. The devotees then came to call
him, Sarvadhikari of Palakottu!

One day when devotees were referring to Ramanatha as Palakottu Sarvadhikari,
Sri Bhagavan who did not know this, asked who it was. Then the devotees explained
everything to Sri Bhagavan.  Bhagavan said, at the end, - oh, it is a good title!

Sarvadhikari Niranjananandaswami, used to shout at Ramanatha not to spin charka,
since he was wearing thick glasses and spinning would worsen the eyes. But
Ramanatha would not agree.  One day Saravadhikari got annoyed and said -
If you do not listen to me, I shall roll you down the steps!   Do you know who
am I?

Ramanatha replied - If you and I know who we really are, then we would not be
here quarreling with each other!

That is the essence of atmavicharam!   

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:53:14 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: May 23, 2015, 07:13:52 AM »
In the initial years, when Mathrubhuteswara Lingam was installed over Mother's
Samadhi, there was no full time priest to do abhishekam etc.,  the Lingam.
Chinnaswami and others were doing the oblations by turn.  Once Muruganar
was asked to do the abhishekam etc.,

Muruganar, as was his nature, was doing the cleaning of the Lingam first and
he was doing it elaborately, by brushing the Lingam on every side, many times.
The abhishekam, alankaram and arti were yet to be done. Sri Bhagavan who came
that side, observed Muruganar doing the washing leisurely and elaborately,
by brushing the Lingam repeatedly.  Sri Bhagavan told Muruganar: If you do
the brushing of Lingam like this, one day the Lingam will become thinner and
thinner and one day, it will disappear!

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:17:12 PM by Subramanian.R »