Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 200964 times)

Balaji

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »

by Sampurnamma

Once Subbalakshmiamma and myself decided to walk around the hill. We started very early, long before daybreak. We were quite afraid of the jungle - there were snakes and panthers and evil-doers too. We soon saw a strange blue light in front of us. It was uncanny and we thought it was a ghost, but it led us along the path and soon we felt safe with it. It left us with daylight.
Another time we two were walking around the hill early in the morning and chattering about our homes and relatives. We noticed a man following us at a distance. We had to pass through a stretch of lonely forest, so we stopped to let him pass and go ahead. He too stopped. When we walked, he also walked. We got quite alarmed, and started praying: "Oh, Lord! Oh, Arunachala! Only you can help us, only you can save us!" The man said suddenly: "Yes, Arunachala is our only refuge. Keep your mind on Him constantly. It is His light that fills all space. Always have Him in your mind." We wondered who he was. Was he sent by Bhagavan to remind us that it is not proper to talk of worldly matters when going around the hill? Or was it Arunachala Himself in human disguise? We looked back, but there was nobody on the path! In so many ways Bhagavan made us feel that he was always with us, until the conviction grew and became a part of our nature.
Those were the days when we lived on the threshold of a new world - a world of ecstasy and joy. We were not conscious of what we were eating, of what we were doing. Time just rolled on noiselessly, unfelt and unperceived. The heaviest task seemed a trifle. We knew no fatigue. At home the least bit of work seemed tiresome and made us grumble, while here we worked all day and were always ready for more. Once Bhagavan came to the kitchen and saw the cooking done and everything cleared. He wondered that the day's work was over so soon. "No mere human hands were working here, Bhagavan. Good spirits helped us all the time," I said. He laughed: "The greatest spirit, Arunachala, is here, towering over you. It is He who works, not you."

from the newsletters of Arunachala Ashram
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2012, 04:44:45 PM »
By Chhaganlal Yogi

Sri Bhagavan generally used two fountain pens: one contained blue ink, the other, red. Both of these pens were quite old and looked, to me at least, worn out. One day the top cover of the red-ink pen cracked, so a devotee took it to town to have it repaired. It was gone for several days. During this period Sri Bhagavan reverted to an old-fashioned nib pen which had to be dipped in an ink pot of red ink. Since this seemed to cause him some inconvenience, I decided to get him a new pen. I wrote to a friend in Bombay and asked him to send one immediately. A few days later the pen arrived by post. I went straight to Sri Bhagavan and handed over the unopened parcel containing the pen.
Whenever a parcel or letter bore the name of the sender on the cover, Sri Bhagavan never failed to notice it. As soon as he received the packet from me, he turned it over and read the name of both the recipient and the sender. Having deduced that the parcel had been sent at my instigation, he took out the pen, carefully examined it, and put it back in the box. He then tried to hand the box to me.
Allowing it to remain in his hand, I explained, "It has been ordered from Bombay especially for Sri Bhagavan's use."
"By whom?" he asked.
"By me," I said, not without some embarrassment because I was beginning to feel that Sri Bhagavan did not approve of my action.
"What for?" demanded Sri Bhagavan.
"Sri Bhagavan's red-ink pen was out of order," I said, "and I saw that it was inconvenient to write with the nib pen."
"But what is wrong with this old pen?" he asked, taking out the old red-ink pen which had by then been received back in good repair. "What is wrong with it?" he repeated. He opened it up and wrote a few words to demonstrate that it had been restored to full working order. "Who asked you to send for a new pen?" demanded Sri Bhagavan again. He was clearly annoyed that I had done this on his behalf.
"No one asked me," I said, with faltering courage. "I sent for it on my own authority."
Sri Bhagavan waved the old pen at me. "As you can see, the old pen has been repaired and writes very well. Where is the need for a new pen?"
Since I could not argue with him, I resorted to pleading and said, "I admit that it was my mistake, but now that it has come, why not use it anyway?" My plea was turned down and the new pen went the way of all its forerunners: It was sent to the office to be used there.
Sri Bhagavan gave us an example of how to live simply by refusing to accumulate unnecessary things around him. He also refused to let anyone do any fund-raising on behalf of the ashram. In this too he set an example. He taught us that if we maintain an inner silence and have faith in God's providence, everything we need will come to us automatically. He demonstrated the practicality of this approach by refusing to let anyone collect money for the construction of the temple over his mother's samadhi. Though large amounts of money were being spent on it every day, we had to rely on unsolicited donations to carry on the work. I knew this from direct experience because one day the ashram manager asked me to get permission from Sri Bhagavan to go to Ahmadabad to ask for a donation from a rich man I knew who lived there. Sri Bhagavan, as usual, flatly refused. No amount of persuasion could move him from his categorical "No."
"How is it," he complained, "that you people have no faith?" He pointed to the hill and told us, "This Arunachala gives us everything we want."

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2012, 01:13:29 PM »
A squirrel came to Bhagavan and he was feeding it with cashew-nut pieces as usual. Turning to me, he said, "Shroff sent some cashew-nuts yesterday and said, `They were intended for my dumb friends'." I said, "Probably Bhagavan would object to our calling these squirrels dumb." Bhagavan said, "They communicate with me. Sometimes I am in a nap. They come and draw attention to their presence by gentl...y biting my finger tips. Besides, they have a lot of language of their own. There is one great thing about these squirrels. You may place any amount of food before them. They will just eat what they need and leave the rest behind. Not so the rat, for instance. It will take everything it finds and stock it in its hole."I remarked, "Possibly it would be said that the squirrel is a less intelligent creature than the rat, because it does not plan or provide for the future but lives in the present." Bhagavan said, "Yes. Yes. We consider it intelligence to plan and live wretchedly like this. See how many animals and birds live in this world without planning and stocking. Are they all dying?"

26-2-46 Morning

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »

Rajapalayam Ramani Ammal

Questioner: Where were you at the time of Sri Bhagavan's Mahanirvana?
Ramani Ammal: I was at Rajapalayam. That night I saw a blue light beautifully rising up into the sky. I knew Bhagavan had left the body. I felt that I did not want to live after that and started a fast. By fasting I wanted to drop the body. After five or six days of not touching food I had several visions. In one of them I was taken inside the Arunachala Hill and saw there rishis performing yagnas and yoga. I also saw Sri Bhagavan seated there. Some munis or rishis offered some prasad to Bhagavan. Then Sri Bhagavan himself gave it to me, and I was made to eat. I remembered that I was fasting, but couldn't refuse Bhagavan's prasad. How can I say that it was a dream? I consider it was Bhagavan's grace alone. He also said to me, "You say and repeat 'I have gone away, I have gone away'. Where have I gone? I am right here. You are not looking inward. If you look within, I am there." For many days afterwards the smell of that prasad lingered. The aroma even spread all through the house. My brother and sisters kept talking about it. When I was fasting, my brother and sister were also fasting with me. The morning following that vision we started taking food again.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:56 PM »
Rajapalayam Ramani Ammal

Interviewer: To my knowledge I haven't done anything good and I also wonder, along with you, how Bhagavan has gathered us here.

Ramani Ammal: I can't say that I have ever done anything bad. From my childhood I didn't know what is good and what is bad either. But doing good or bad has nothing to do with our coming to Bhagavan's Presence. It is only by his grace that we are filled with his glorious Presence.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2012, 04:38:51 PM »

Once when Sri Bhagavan was sitting in his cave on Arunachala, a sadhu who was jealous of his increasing fame urinated on his back as a deliberate act of provocation. Sri Bhagavan remained as unperturbed and Self-absorbed as ever. Not a tinge of anger rose in him. The sadhu was baffled by his calm response. Realizing that nothing could irritate Sri Bhagavan, the poor sadhu quietly went away.

On another occasion, many years later, a young man visited Sri Ramanasramam with an evil purpose. After entering the hall and taking his seat in the front row, he began to put all kinds of aggressive questions to Sri Bhagavan. We found out later that he wanted to extort hush-money from the ashram by trying to expose Sri Bhagavan as a hypocrite and a fraud. He had already successfully tried his trick elsewhere, and by repeated practice he had cultivated this art into a paying profession. Having gained successes in other ashrams, he had come to Sri Ramanasramam to try his tricks there.
Sri Bhagavan's own method of meeting insolence, malice, jealousy and misbehavior in general was the observance of complete silence. This powerful weapon baffled and disarmed all aggressive and insolent visitors.

When the youth tried to draw Sri Bhagavan into a controversial discussion so he could catch him when he made a potentially embarrassing answer, Sri Bhagavan remained completely silent. The poor man could make no headway at all. He tried insults, he tried belching out foul language, but Sri Bhagavan did not utter a single word. He did not accept any of the insults or respond to them in any way. He merely remained calm, unperturbed and smiling. The young man, after exhausting all his insults, saw the impossibility of achieving his object. He had to admit defeat and quit the ashram.

from the newletters Arunachala Ashram

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2012, 04:42:54 PM »
In 1908 Sri Bhagavan was staying in Pachaiamman Temple on the north-eastern side of the mountain. There were many tamarind trees nearby. The municipality gave the highest bidder the contract to collect tamarind from these trees every year. That particular year a Muslim had got the contract. Since these trees gave an unusually rich yield, the contractor himself used to protect them from the monkeys, driving them away by shooting stones at them from a catapult. Because he only wanted to scare them away, he took care to see that they were not injured. However, by some ill chance, a stone from his catapult hit a monkey on its head so hard, it died on the spot. Immediately, a large number of monkeys surrounded the corpse and began to wail and lament the death of their relative. Then, by way of complaint, they took the dead body to Sri Bhagavan in the Pachaiamman Temple.
These monkeys considered Sri Bhagavan as a friend and arbiter. He frequently settled their internal disputes and even acted as an honest broker when rival tribes were having territorial disputes. He could communicate with them quite easily and he did his best to establish peace and harmony among the warring tribes and their fractious members. So, at this time of anger and grief, it was quite natural for the monkeys to bring both the corpse and their complaints to Sri Bhagavan.
As soon as they came near him they burst into angry cries and tears. Sri Bhagavan, whose heart registered and mirrored the emotions of those around him, responded to their anguish with tears of his own. Gradually, though, his emanations of sympathetic love soothed and calmed the turmoil within the monkeys' hearts.
Then, by way of consolation, Sri Bhagavan told them, "Death is inevitable for everyone who is born. He at whose hands this monkey died will also meet with death one day. There is no need to grieve."
Sri Bhagavan's words and his loving kindness pacified the monkeys. They went away, carrying the corpse with them.
Two or three days later the Muslim contractor became bedridden with some serious malady. The story of the upadesa given by Sri Bhagavan to the aggrieved monkeys spread from mouth to mouth till it reached the home of the Muslim contractor. The members of his family became convinced that his sudden illness was due to the saint's curse. They therefore went to Pachaiamman Temple and began to plead for Sri Bhagavan's pardon for the ailing contractor.
"It is certain that your curse has affected him," they began. "Please save him from death. Give us some vibhuti (sacred ash). If we apply it to his body, he will surely recover."
With a benign smile, Sri Bhagavan replied, "You are mistaken. I never curse or bless anyone. I sent away the monkeys that came here by telling them the simple truth that death inevitably occurs to all those who are born. Moreover, I never give vibhuti to anyone. So please go home and nurse the patient whom you have left all alone."
The Muslims did not believe his explanation. They announced that they were not going away unless they received some vibhuti to cure their relative with. So, just to get rid of them, Sri Bhagavan gave them a pinch of wood ash from the outside of his cooking fire. On receiving it, their faces beamed with joy. They expressed their hearty gratitude to the sage and returned home.
The family and the contractor had great faith in this vibhuti. Soon after it was applied to the ailing man, he began to recover. Within a few days he rose from his bed, fully recovered.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2012, 04:45:54 PM »
 "One day, right in the middle of the afternoon, Bhagavan took his kamandalu, got up and told me, 'Jagadisha, come with me to walk about on the mountain.'
"But it's so hot," I protested. "How can we move about in such weather?" I argued like this because I wanted to escape from the trip. Bhagavan found my excuse unsatisfactory. "You can move about in just the same way that I move about," he said.
"But my feet will burn!" I exclaimed. I didn't have any footwear with me and I didn't relish the idea of walking about over the burning rocks.
"Will my feet not burn as well?" replied Bhagavan, obviously feeling that this was not a serious obstacle. Bhagavan never wore any kind of footwear. He could walk on the toughest terrain in any weather without feeling the least discomfort.
"But yours is a different case," I answered, alluding to the fact that Bhagavan never needed footwear.
"Why? Am I not a man with two feet, just like you?" asked Bhagavan. "Why are you unnecessarily scared? Come on! Get up!"
Having realised that it was useless to argue any more, I got up and started walking with Bhagavan. The exposed stones had become so hot because of the severe heat of the sun that walking on them made my feet burn. For some time I bore the suffering, but when it became unbearable I cried out, "Bhagavan, my feet are burning so much! I cannot walk one more step. Even standing here is difficult. On all sides it is raining fire!"
Bhagavan was not impressed. "Why are you so scared?" he asked.
"If I remain in this terrible heat for any more time," I replied, "my head will crack open because of the heat and I will definitely die!" I was not joking. I really was afraid of dying.
Bhagavan smiled and said in a very quiet and deep voice, "Jagadisha, give up your fear and listen. You must have the bhavana (mental conviction and attitude) that you are the sun. Start doing japa of the mantra suryosmi (I am the sun) with the conviction that it is really true. You will soon see the effect of it. You yourself will become surya swarupa, that is, you will have the characteristics of the sun. Can the sun feel the heat of the sun?"
I followed this instruction of Bhagavan and started doing japa of this sun mantra because there was no other way to be saved from the burning heat. In a short time I began to feel the effect of the japa. The severity of the heat lessened and eventually I began to experience, instead of the severe heat, a pleasing coolness. As the burning sensation diminished I found that I was able to walk quickly alongside Bhagavan. By the time we had both reached Skandashram I found that my feet were not at all burnt as I had continued the mantra japa right up till the end of the walk.
Later, I was astonished to discover that the effect of chanting this mantra was permanent. Though I no longer chant it, I have never again suffered from the heat of the sun. I can now walk in the summer on the tar roads of a city like Bombay with bare feet."

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
Dear Balaji,

One who sows reaps what he has sown - as Bible said. However Sri Bhagavan was kind enough to both the parties.

Arunachala Siva.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 11, 2012, 03:01:54 AM »
By Mr Baskaran Sivaraman RMCL FB

ரமணர் ஆயிரம் — அரவிந்த் சுவாமிநாதன்
--------------------------------------------------------
பகவான் விருபாக்ஷி குகையில் இருந்த காலம்.

அவர் அங்கு வருவதற்கு முன்னாலேயே ”சாதுக்கள்” என்ற போர்வையில் சில சாமியார்கள் உண்டும் உறங்கியும் காலம் கழித்து வந்தனர். பகவான் இளம் வயதினராக அங்கு வந்து சேர்ந்ததும் அவரைப் பார்க்க கொஞ்சம் கொஞ்சமாக பக்தர்கள் வரத் துவங்கினர். அதுகண்டு அங்குள்ள சாமியார்களில் சிலருக்கு பொறாமை ஏற்பட்டது. அவர்களில் ஒரு சாது இருந்தார். அவர் “இந்தச் சிறுவனுக்கு ஒன்றும் தெரியாது. ஏதோ அதிர்ஷ்டத்தினாலும் அப்பாவி மக்களின் அறியாமையினாலும் இவனைச் சுற்றிக் கூட்டம் சேர்கிறது” என்று நினைத்தார். அதையே அங்கு வரும் பக்தர்களிடமும் சொல்லிக் கொண்டிருப்பார்.

பகவான் அக்காலகட்டத்தில் அதிகம் பேசமாட்டார். தன்னுள் தான் ஆழ்ந்திருப்பார்.ஒருநாள்…. திடீரென அந்தச் சாது குகைக்கு உள்ளே வந்தார். பகவானைப் பார்த்து அவர், “அடேய், நீ எப்படி இருக்கிறாய்? நான் இப்போதுதான் காளஹஸ்தியிலிருந்து நேராக இங்கே வருகிறேன். உனக்கு தத்தாத்ரேய மந்திரத்தை உபதேசிக்கும் படி எனக்கு உத்தரவாயிருக்கிறது. இங்கே வந்து என்னைப் பணிந்து தீக்ஷை பெற்றுக் கொள் ” என்றார்.
பகவான் எதுவும் பதில் பேசாது மௌனமாக இருந்தார். சுற்றிலும் இருந்த பக்தர்கள் என்ன நடக்குமோ என பகவானையும், அந்தச் சாதுவையுமே மாறி மாறிப் பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தனர்.

உடனே அந்தச் சாது இன்னும் உரத்த குரலில், “இதோ பார், வீணாக இப்படிப் பிடிவாதம் செய்யாதே! நேற்று இரவு என் கனவில் சிவபெருமான் வந்தார். உனக்கு மந்திர தீக்ஷை அளிக்கும்படி ஆணையிட்டார். இதுதான் அதற்கு நல்ல நேரம். வா, வந்து தீக்ஷை பெற்றுக் கொள்” என்றார்.

அதுவரை மௌனமாக இருந்த பகவான் உடனே, ” ஓ.. அப்படியா! சிவபெருமான் உங்கள் கனவில் வந்து எனக்கு தீக்ஷை அளிக்கும்படிச் சொன்னாரா! ரொம்ப நல்லதாகப் போயிற்று. உங்களிடம் கனவில் வந்து சொன்ன அதே சிவபெருமான் என் கனவிலும் வந்து அதைப் பெற்றுக் கொள்ளும்படிச் சொல்லட்டும். பிறகு பார்க்கலாம்” என்றார்.

பதில் பேச முடியாத அந்தச் சாது அந்த இடம் விட்டு அகன்றார். பின்னால் அவர் ரமணரது அருமையை உணர்ந்து மனம் திருந்தினார்.

ஓம் நமோ பகவதே ஸ்ரீ ரமணாயா!

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2012, 12:45:32 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

:( . I can't read Tamil

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
 HARASSMENT BY SADHUS
LONG ago Sankara said that there were far too many pretenders among sadhus. The scriptures have condemned them, yet their number has increased and in the present times substantial amounts are wasted by the public on them. Such hypocrites have anger as well as fear towards true sannyasis and hence do everything possible to harm them. But the reputation of truly noble men only gets enhanced by such acts of the pretenders, whose true nature gets revealed.

From the very moment the Swami settled down on the hill, Arunachala, the income of the hypocritical sadhus began dwindling and instead started pouring at the Swami's feet. The Swami's great vairagya [?] and his teachings were attracting people in large numbers. This caused heartburn to the sadhu [?] pretenders. Among them was one, Jataswami who had some tapas [?] to his credit and was also learned. In fact, the Swami used to visit him frequently and consult the books available with him. Jataswami was celibate and frugal in his eating habits but his great weakness was jealousy. He had the habit of rolling rocks towards any real sadhu [?] who attempted to settle on the hill and most of them went away apprehending some approaching earthquake. Jataswami employed the same trick towards the Swami but it had no effect; on one such occasion the Swami climbed up further and caught the elderly Jataswami who, strangely, not only did not express any remorse but merely laughed it off as a practical joke.

Jataswami's friend was Balanandaswami, a peculiar Brahmin character. He was acquainted with English, French, Marathi, Hindustani, Sanskrit and Malayalam. He studied the Prasthana Traya  (scriptures). Appearance- wise also he was attractive with sharp features and good complexion. He also had the gift of the gab and by spinning yarns was able to win over any stranger. As darkness is dispelled when the sun rises, with the arrival of the Swami on the hill, Balanandaswami's glamour began to fade. But he was not one to give up. He tried to win over the Swami by all kinds of tricks. He would tell all visitors that the young Swami was his disciple and would ask them to give his "disciple" something to eat. Not only that, he would place a lot of eatables in front of the Swami in the presence of visitors and urge him to eat.

The Swami was guileless yet he could easily notice the hypocrisy of Balanandaswami but was not inclined to act against evil which was why possibly he never exposed him. Quite brazenly Balanandaswami said to the Swami, "I will declare you to be my disciple and make some money thereby. What do you lose, just be silent". After 1908 a number of persons learned and unlearned, rich and poor, children and elderly - became devoted to the Swami. They began showing their resentment towards Balanandaswami
at first indirectly but later, directly. Balanandaswami went to ridiculous lengths to establish himself as the Swami's guru without realizing that his acts were harmful to himself. The climax came one night with his passing urine in the verandah of Virupaksha cave before leaving the place. Palaniswami who guessed that it could only be the act of Balanandaswami washed the place. After the Maharshi and others went to have a bath at a distant teertha, Palaniswami threw out the bundle of Balanandaswami's clothes, among them were some costly ones too, and left the place locking up the cave. Palaniswami also felt that even if he did not express it the Maharshi must have been revolted at Balanandaswami's act.
Balananda returned and became furious at what happened to his clothes and began ranting "this must be Palani's work". As soon as Palani returned he belaboured him and said to the Maharshi, "This fellow Palani is quite arrogant, see how he threw away my clothes. Get rid of him at once." The Maharshi did not respond, Palani did not stir. With uncontrollable anger Balananda spat on the face of the Maharshi, even then the latter kept silent. For some unknown reason the Maharshi's devotees present at the spot also kept quiet. Another disciple, Muthaiah, living in a different cave got to know of this and with great fury was about to beat the forty year old Balanandaswami with a stick, when the Maharshi intervened and stopped him. Balanandaswami realized that his ways would not succeed and decided to leave the place but even then his pride would not leave him. He said, "This hill does not deserve to be the place for me to do tapas" and left for the railway station. He seated himself in an upper class compartment. Even there he did not behave himself. There was a young couple already seated in the compartment. Balanandaswami began ordering about the young man who, naturally, ignored his commands. Furious at this, Balananda shouted at him: `By ignoring my words you are insulting me. This is because of your infatuation with this tart." At this, the young man took out his sandals and beat up Balananda. After this treatment, Balananda disappeared from Arunachala.

Excerpt from Ramana Leela

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
Harassment by Sadhus continued...

Two or three years later, when the Maharshi was residing at the mango tree cave, Balananda reappeared, stood before the cave and sent for the Maharshi. The latter, assuming that Balanandaswami was reformed came out. When no one was about, Balananda asked the Maharshi, "Have you heard what had happened at the railway station?". The Maharshi gave an affirmative answer. Balananda resumed, "Possibly, I needed that experience also! I regret having spat on you the other day, when I was beside myself with anger. If you so wish you may now spit on me as many times as you like" and went closer to the Maharshi. The Maharshi who had no trace of revenge in him did nothing of the kind.

But true to his form Balananda began ordering about everybody from the very next day. Naturally, nobody cared. A few days later he came to the mango tree cave and said to the Maharshi, "I shall teach you how to attain nirvikalpa samadhi." So saying he forcibly took him to the pial opposite the cave. Turning to Vasudeva Sastry
and other disciples of the Maharshi he said, "What business have you in the company of elders? You had better go." He looked again at the Maharshi and said, "You keep looking into my eyes and take a deep breath." He cautioned the Maharshi to relax-thus he harassed the Maharshi for about half an hour and at the end, he himself fell asleep. The Maharshi and his disciples quietly went back to the Virupaksha cave.

Balananda indulged in such antics on one more occasion. He ordered Rangaswamy Iyengar, a disciple of the Maharshi to fetch a twig for him to brush his teeth. Rangaswamy Iyengar brought a big branch and said, "For the elderly, is this not the appropriate thing?" Balananda ordered another disciple so fetch some fire to light his cigar. He, in turn, brought burning pieces of coal in a huge basin. Bringing it close to Balananda's face he asked, "What should be lighted?"

Balananada realized that the Maharshi's disciples would no longer care for him and thought it better to leave the place before they drove him out. Before leaving, he addressed the Maharshi thus: "This hill is unfit for persons like me. On top of it your disciples have insulted me. It was I who gave you various powers and because of them people are reverential towards you. I am withdrawing all the powers. Henceforth no one will respect you." So saying he left for the town.

He went to a sweetmeat shop owner and boasted about what he had done. The shop owner had great regard for the Maharshi; upon hearing what Balananda said he
got ready to thrash him. With that, Balananda left Arunachala again. Sometime later Balanandaswami returned to the Maharshi and saying that he had no attachment towards the body, he became nude and behaved in a repulsive manner with the Maharshi's attendant. All those present were incensed but the Maharshi was as usual indifferent. After this event Balananda left Arunachala for good. Nobody heard of him any more.

Excerpt from Ramana Leela.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 11, 2012, 01:40:03 PM »
Harassment by Sadhus continued...

Another sadhu also tried to project himself as the Maharshi's guru. This Mahaswami had learnt the preliminary lessons of philosophy; he performed mantra japa, and was acquainted with music also. He resented the Maharshi who did not perform any japa but who still `earned' a lot of money. He would go to the post office and collect all the letters addressed to the Brahmana Swami (by which name also the Maharshi was known). His justification was that he also was a Brahmin residing on the hill! Once he returned from a pilgrimage to Kalahasti and said to the Maharshi, "I returned only for your sake. I shall initiate you in the Dattatreya- mantra". The Maharshi did not jump with joy at this unsought for attention. He was, as usual, indifferent. But the Mahaswami would not give up. "God appeared in my dream and ordered me to initiate you" he said. The Maharshi replied "If He appears in my dream also and orders me to receive the upadesa I shall do so". "No, no it is a very brief mantra, get up and we shall commence" said the Mahaswami. The Maharshi replied "What is the use of this upadesa when I have no inclination towards performing any Japa?"

The Mahaswami got angry and whenever any of his visitors expressed a wish to have the darshan of the Maharshi, he would try to dissuade them saying that the Maharshi was not great nor learned enough to be able to give any instruction to them. The Maharshi heard this but as usual kept quiet. One day when the Mahaswami was in meditation at the banana grove near the temple he had a vision of the Maharshi who said to him "Don't be deceived," and disappeared. With that, the Mahaswami trembled and realized that Ramana was no ordinary person and that he did possess certain powers. Thereafter he decided not to trifle with the Maharshi. He ran to the Maharshi, and narrating his experience pleaded with him to see that he no longer had such visions. The Maharshi replied calmly "I have no such powers. Further I have no hatred towards you at all." Mahaswami got pacified with these words and went his way.

Round about 1916, a group of sadhus planned to abduct the Maharshi. They came to him at the Virupaksha cave in a drunken state and said, "We are from Podigai the place where the sage Agastya is still in penance. He ordered us to take you to Srirangam first, where a meeting of the siddhas is on, and later bring you to him. He said that there were some elements still in your body which were preventing your attaining complete Siddhi and that he would remove them for your own benefit. He also said that he would initiate you in the proper manner."

The position was critical but the Maharshi just did not utter a single word. Perumalswami who was there,He was quite strong and quick-witted. He intervened and said to the visitors, "We have been already told by God of your impending visit and He ordered us to fry you in a pan. What do you say to this?" He further turned towards Mastan, a fellow disciple, and asked him to make necessary preparations for this. This acted as an excellent antidote which made the visiting sadhus run away.

It is not that such "gentlemen" were wanting among the educated classes, either. In the early days of the establishment of the Ashram some rich gentlemen of Madras, felt that the administration of the Ashram was not being carried out properly. They chartered a bus from Madras and arrived at the Ashram with the objective of changing the management or failing that, taking the Maharshi away to Madras. They entered the hall where Bhagavan sat. He was serious, immobile and silent. Each one of the visitors developed cold feet and having nothing to say they simply returned to their bus and went away. The Maharshi later on came to know as to why they came in the first place. He said, "I did not know why they came. Did they come here to imporve the Ashram or themselves?"

So long as one lives in the world even a jnani [?] may have to face critical situations. There is no escape from prarabdha for any one — that is the moral of these episodes.

Excerpt from Ramana Leela.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:56 AM »
A Search in Secret India, did much to make known to the world that the Maharshi, a unique sage of this century, was living inTiruvannamalai. Brunton was a professional writer and in those days wherever he would go he would often be seen taking notes on bits of paper. While in the Old Hall listening to questions put to Bhagavan and his replies, he would be eagerly taking notes. After the success of A Search in Secret India, he began writing many other books in which he would sometimes adopt the Maharshi's teachings without giving due acknowledgment. When the ashram authorities realized this they decided to stop him from taking notes in the hall.
One day in 1939, Brunton was sitting next to me taking notes as usual when Niranjanananda Swami boldly walked into the hall, stood next to Bhagavan and told Munagala Venkataramiah to tell Brunton in English that he is no longer permitted to take notes while sitting before Bhagavan. Brunton was told accordingly. Brunton looked at Venkataramiah and said, 'Is this also Bhagavan's view ?' Venkataramiah did not reply to this question and Bhagavan who was quietly sitting there didn't say a word either. A few tense moments passed. Then Brunton stood up and left the hall. That was the last time he took notes in the hall, and that was also when Brunton began distancing himself from the ashram.
It was very unusual to see the Sarvadhikari appear so bold and authoritative before the Maharshi. He must have felt that this exploitation should stop and was confident that Bhagavan was behind him.