Author Topic: Our Bhagavan-Stories  (Read 199658 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Our Bhagavan-Stories
« Reply #885 on: April 03, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »
A devotee brought and gave to Sri Bhagavan a cutting from The Bombay Chronicle in which an account was given of how
Ramana Jayanti was celebrated this year at Matunga, Bombay, by the Ramana Satchidananda Sangh and how one
Vijayaraghava Bhagavatar of Mannargudi and his party performed an excellent kalakshepam on Bhagavan and His life and teachings.
The cutting was read out in the Hall for the benefit of all. It said that a harikatha was held on Ramana. Bhagavan said:
Harikatha on Ramana is a misnomer.  Kalakshepam would have been more appropriate.

Tilak Sastri wanted to know from Bhagavan about Echammal, so that he could send an article to the press about her.
Bhagavan said:  You may write what you like. Vijayam (Sri Ramana Vijayam by Suddhananda Bharati in Tamizh) and other
books contain a reference to her. Bhagavan said, 'Our Venkatakrishnaiah's mother also seems to have passed away the
same night. I find it in Telugu paper Zamin Ryot.'

R. Narayana Iyer asked Bhagavan if Echammal was conscious to the last.Though people (including myself) had told
Bhagavan that Echammal was unconscious for the last two days of her existence, not having been able to recognize
those around her, Bhagavan said in reply:  'Yes. She was. She remained as in Samadhi and passed away. It is even said
that they did not know when exactly when exactly life expired.'         

Mysore Ramachandra Rao added, 'The corpse did not look like a corpse at all.  It looked very much as she used to look here.'

Day by Day - 30.12.1945.  Afternoon.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 04, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »
Mr. Chinta Dikshitulu is here. Bhagavan said, 'We were talking of Chinta Dikshitulu yesterday. He is here now.'

Later another gentleman arrived.  A Muslim from the Punjab, he was born blind, but has learnt Arabic, Persian, Urdu and
English and knows by heart the whole of Koran. It seems he heard of Bhagavan from some friend, who also translated to him
in Urdu the English book Who am I? and thereupon he decided he should go and visit Bhagavan. Accordingly he has come
all the way from the Punjab, all alone.  Someone suggested to him here that he should hear some other works of Bhagavan.
He replied, 'No, it is not necessary. That one book is enough.'

Day by Day -- 31.12.1945.

Arunachala Siva.   

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 15, 2015, 02:20:40 AM »
Usually one who looks at a photograph of Sri Ramana Bhagavan, feels that Bhagavan is looking at him. Even when Bhagavan was alive, thousands of people, while sitting in his presence, had felt that he was directing his gaze at them.

Some such attraction was in his eyes. Any devotee, who cannot do any other tapasya, would do well to just gaze at the photo of Bhagavan for some time. He would feel in a few moments that he is attaining the same condition as Bhagavan ie Tadatmya Bhava. Knowing this, I have embraced the path of self-surrender and gaze at the photo of Sri Ramana, whenever I feel the mood for self awareness. I do not, however, pray for remedy of any disease of the flesh nor to get any material comforts.

Once for about five or six months, I had to attend to people who were suffering from typhoid one after another. This affected me and I too fell ill with the same disease. Four eminent doctors who examined me pronounced it to be typhoid. Reluctant to trouble anybody or to take any medicine, I walked for about a mile in high fever (about 105? F) from the forest towards Ramanashram. Feeling extremely thirsty and giddy, I was looking for some water to drink. I found a pond nearby, whose water had been made dirty by bathers and buffaloes. Since I could bear my thirst no longer, I quenched it with that water. Turning round I saw on the top of a hillock a dilapidated hut, which on entering I found to be a house built in a grave yard. Tired in every limb and overcome by the weird loneliness of the place, I wept bitterly leaving myself to God?s care. Soon I fell into a deep sleep. When I woke up it was evening. (I had gone to the hut in the morning). My whole body was drenched with sweat and I found that the high typhoid fever, which would not normally subside before seven days, had left me completely within a single day. This was nothing but my Master Ramana's grace in response to my cry in utter helplessness and sincere devotion. I was fully convinced that nothing was impossible for Him and no physical laws or rules could stand in the way of His grace.

Swami Pranavananda
Om Namo Bagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 17, 2015, 02:03:45 AM »
CONTINUOUS GIRIPRADAKSHINA

If anyone came from outside Tiruvannamalai, that person used to arrange for bhiksha for Bhagavan. In those days, Rs. 5/- is enough for a bhiksha. There were very few asramites. The person who offered the bhiksha generally liked to go around the Hill with Bagavan the same evening. Bhagavan used to go round the Hill desired, along with the person and other devotees. We used to meditate  and recite verses. Sometimes we would return early next morning. We never used to feel tired, because of Bhagavan's  company .  Next day we used  take a nap in the afternoon. But bhagavan could  not take any rest, as devotees would always be pouring in. If there was bhiksha that afternoon also and if the person concerned asked Bhagavan to accompany him on his giripradakshina, Bhagavan would oblige him. He would ask us by a gesture not to tell the person anything about his having gone round the Hill the previous night. There were occasions when Bhagavan did not sleep for two to three days consecutively because of continuous bhikshas.

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 19, 2015, 02:04:34 AM »
When I returned to the Asramam after spending some days at. Kovilur Mutt, Bhagavan asked me in detail about what I did, where I went and so on. I said, "Mahadevaswamy made kind enquiries about Bhagavan and the asramaites . The day I went there, Raja Sir Annamalai Chettiar and his relatives came to visit Mahadevaswamy." Bhagavan asked me what Chettiar did there. I said that he prostrated with great reverence before Mahadevaswamy and accepted vibhuti prasad from him.

Bhagavan asked, "Did you prostrate before Mahadevaswamy?" When I said no, he asked me why. I said, "I don't want to do namaskar to any one except Bhagavan said, "What an intelligent,wise fellow! Is your Bhagavan only within this body on the sofa ,Is he not elsewere? If a person is devoted wholly to one person he should not go anywhere. If you go to another place, you must do what the people in that place do. Wherever and whenever you prostrate, you should think of your guru or your favourite god. If you do like this, your namaskar will reach the person you have in mind. That is the proper thing to do." I realised my mistake. From then on I think of Bhagavan whenever I do namaskar to anyone.

volII Arunachala Ramana

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 19, 2015, 02:05:36 AM »
GIRIPRADAKSHINA AND MEDITATION IN MOVEMENT

A sadhu used to go round the Hill every day. He never did any meditation or japa. One day when he asked Bhagavan for a particular book, Bhagavan asked me to get it for him. Later he asked me whether I had given the book to him I said I had. I asked Bhagavan why the gentleman wanted a book when his interest was only in giripradakshina and nothing else.

Bhagavan said, "There is nothing better than giripradakshina. That alone is enough. If you do japa or meditation sitting in one place, the mind may wander. But during giripradakshina, the limbs move but the mind will be still. Doing japa or meditation without any other thought while walking is called samadhi in movement. That is why in those days walking was considered so important. Giripradakshina is particularly important. As there are several medicinal herbs on the Hill, their breeze will be good for health. There are several siddhas and sages on the Hill even now though we cannot see them. They also go round the Hill unseen by us. When we go round the Hill, we should walk on the left side of the road; otherwise we shall be obstructing their movement. We will also have the benefit of walking around them. We will get their blessings also." I was very happy to hear about the value of giripradakshina. I have become more enthusiastic about it ever since.

Kunju Swami Reminiscences
Arunachala Ramana VolI

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 01, 2015, 07:47:11 AM »
Kunju Swami, after  spending some three weeks with Sri Bhagavan, thought that he could pursue self inquiry
without Sr Bhagavan's presence, and so he returned Palakkad with his friend Ramakrishna Swami.  At home
he found that he could not meditate and the mind was jumping out with all sorts of thoughts. So he returned
to Tiruvannamalai to be with Sri Bhagavan.  He explained to Sri Bhagavan his state in Palakkaad and asked Sri
Bhagavan why it was so.  Sri Bhagavan smiled and showed some verses from Kaivalya Navaneetham.
The verses detailed why it is essential to be in close presence of Guru to steady one's spiritual pursuit and not
be away from him.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 01, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
Once  Kunju Swami and his friend Ramakrishnaswami wanted to pracice fasting and keeping awake all day  and night.  They
went to Skandasramam (when Bhagavan haqde moved to a thatched near Mother/s  Samadhi.).  The friends praticed
this 'tapas' for some days and one  morning they came down to see Bhagavan.  Sri Bhagavan who knew everything
about His devotees, told them, 'What is all this fasting, jagran etc.,  Go and wash your faces and eat Tiruchuzhi
dosas, which Alamelu is preparing.'   The two quietly left Bhagavan to do what He had told.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 02, 2015, 07:30:41 AM »
Devaraja Mudaliar did not understand the greatness of giri pradaksina until He himself realized it when he started going around the Hill.  Sri Bhagavan, apart from self inquiry attached importance only for giri pradaksina.  He Himself went innumerable times around the Hill, in His early years, when some devotee arranged bhiksha, and it was a practice
to go for giri pradakshina with Him.  In the latter years, He used to go for stroll two times
a day and He was accompanied only by His attendants. The giri pradaksina is not only
a good walking exercise but the winds carrying herbal fragrance would also good
for curing ailments. This is apart from the beliefs of spiritual progress leading to
salvation, as mentioned in Sri Arunachala Mahatmyam.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 03, 2015, 07:40:07 AM »
Once in the Hall, the devotees were discussing whether Siva (He) is a greater
power or the Goddess (She) is a greater power. Sri Bhagavan was listening to
their discussions with a benign smile.  Since the discussions were prolonging
without any end, Sri Bhagavan said:  HE can remain without SHE.  But SHE
cannot remain all by herself without HE. It does not merely about the words
HE and SHE, but also indicate the great advaitic truth, that, Brahman can be
without its manifesting power (Maya), but the power cannot remain without
the support of Brahman.

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:03:48 AM by Subramanian.R »

Balaji

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 03, 2015, 04:19:24 PM »
T.K. Sundlaresa Iyer's Reminiscences ? Part II

In 1922 I had considerable mental pain one day in regard to my circumstances. I then sought relief by immediately going up to him as he sat in the long cottage here in front of his mother's samadhi) that was dismantled later on. There he and the inmates of the Asramam were stitching banyan leaves into leaf plates for the evening meals. I was ashamed to keep quiet when Maharshi himself was labouring. So I sat up and, novice as I was, a clumsy leaf plate I produced. Maharshi saw it and spoke thus:

"Look at these leaf plates; with considerable trouble we prepare a leaf plate and then we use it once to eat our food, thereafter it is thrown away for ever. Such is the case with this body of ours. We attend to it with immense care. We must, with all the cares and anxieties, preserve it till the purpose for which it is intended, i.e., the realization of the Self, and then of course it will be thrown away, even as a used leaf-plate." This was exactly the answer to the problem that vexed me and drew me there on that occasion.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 04, 2015, 10:04:48 AM »
Once Sri Bhagavan, sitting in the Old Hall, on His sofa, heard some people
talking outside the Hall for quite some time.  It was quite a hot day in
Tiruvannamalai.

After some time, Bhagavan came to the entrance and said to them:  It quite
hot outside; please come inside. It is cool and shady.

The persons who were standing and talking, were discussing some upanishadic
slokas, or such esoteric subjects.  Bhagavan should have only indicated, rather
subtly about such sabdha jaalam. (which Sankara says is a great forest,
from which one cannot easily get out.)

Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I?

Those whose minds are not constantly resting in Brahman, are like people
who after staying in the shade under a tree, goes out in the sun and after
being scorched for some time, comes back hurriedly to the shade.  Those
(Jnanis) whose minds are ever resting in Brahman, do not leave the cool
shade.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 04, 2015, 01:20:26 PM »
Once there was a street procession of Lord Arunachaleswara and Sri Apeethakuchamba
in Tiruvannamalai.  The procession came via the Asramam and the authorities brought
coconut, plaintains, betel leaves and betel nuts, along with camphor and presented
them to the priests, and the priests broke the coconut and then showed the camphor
arti to the idols of Siva and the goddess. And they gave vibhuti and kumkum as prasad.
They took the prasad and submitted to Sri Bhagavan in the Old Hall.  Sri Bhagavan
took the vibhuti and applied it on His forehead saying in Tamizh, 'appavukku pillai
atakkam.' - The son is subservient to Father.  Is He not Skanda, son of SIVA, as
Kavyakanta Ganapati said in Sri Ramana Gita?

அப்பாவுக்குப் பிள்ளை அடக்கம்

Arunachala Siva.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 08:14:14 AM by Subramanian.R »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 05, 2015, 08:27:22 AM »
Devaraja Mudaliar was constantly pestering Sri Bhagavan to explain the
state of bliss in Self Realization.  Sri Bhagavan replied, 'how can one describe
that state?  One should only dwell in that state to know what it is.' Mudaliar
was not happy.

One day Devaraja Mudaliar was sitting very close to the sofa.  Suddenly Bhagavan
looked at him steadily for some time.  Mudaliar suddenly experienced the state
of bliss, with mind melting away.  This lasted for some time.  Mudaliar became
extremely happy and asked Bhagavan.

'Bhagavan!  Is It That?'

Bhagavan:  Yes,  It is!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 05, 2015, 12:07:48 PM »
Once a learned man had come to Tiruvannamalai from some other town.  He
started speaking to the devotees in the Old Hall, the essence of Vedas, Upanishads,
and other spiritual texts.  This he was doing continuously for about 10 days.
The devotees were growing impatient, but since Sri Bhagavan did not intervene,
they also kept quiet. 

On the eleventh day, the pandit did not give any speech.  Instead he was also
sitting quiet like any other devotees, listening to the occasional question by
some devotee and the brief reply Sri Bhagavan.

Sri Bhagavan said to the devotees:  Pandit has also become like any one
of us !

The devotees in the Hall had a good laugh.

Arunachala Siva.